PDA

View Full Version : I need some DS games.

Sgt_Shligger
Dec 29, 2007, 03:54 AM
I just got a DS Lite for Christmas and I was hoping I could get some nice suggestions. I'm not buying a lot so I want some games with replay value (so nothing like Contra, as much I love the series, it gets old pretty fast).

Also, please don't suggest any Poke'mon titles, I can't muster up the strength to actually play one again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sgt_Shligger on 2007-12-29 00:59 ]</font>

Dragwind
Dec 29, 2007, 03:58 AM
Replay value? Hm, I suck at that. However, I would suggest Castlevania: Portait of Ruin.

Even though I'm not a fan of replaying games, I've found myself coming back to this game to replay it with the unlocked characters, hunt down certain cool weapons, and etc etc.

Sgt_Shligger
Dec 29, 2007, 04:01 AM
On 2007-12-29 00:58, Dragwind wrote:
Replay value? Hm, I suck at that. However, I would suggest Castlevania: Portait of Ruin.

Even though I'm not a fan of replaying games, I've found myself coming back to this game to replay it with the unlocked characters, hunt down certain cool weapons, and etc etc.

Never played a Castlevania game myself, what do you actually do in them?

Kion
Dec 29, 2007, 04:21 AM
phantom hourglass and trama center are both intuitive and fun

drizzle
Dec 29, 2007, 07:05 AM
On 2007-12-29 01:01, Sgt_Shligger wrote:

On 2007-12-29 00:58, Dragwind wrote:

Never played a Castlevania game myself, what do you actually do in them?

A platform game, and easily one of the best there is. This trailer should give you a good idea: http://youtube.com/watch?v=csQFGdTZqN0

UnderscoreX
Dec 29, 2007, 07:55 AM
Phoenix Wright is the single best handheld franchise ever.

Obscenity
Dec 29, 2007, 08:24 AM
On 2007-12-29 00:54, Sgt_Shligger wrote:
Also, please don't suggest any Poke'mon titles, I can't muster up the strength to actually play one again.

Diamond/Pearl have enough new stuff that if you played and enjoyed a Pokemon game before, you'll probably like Diamond/Pearl enough to sink at least 50 or 60 hours into it.

Feelmirath
Dec 29, 2007, 08:24 AM
On 2007-12-29 04:55, UnderscoreX wrote:

Seconded.

Eihwaz
Dec 29, 2007, 10:50 AM
I wouldn't call Castlevania a "platformer" game, they're more side-scrolling action games with some exploration and RPG elements. They are quite awesome, particularly the handheld ones. I'd suggest Aria of Sorrow and Harmony of Dissonance (both are on GBA, and Konami has released both of them on one cart by now), and Dawn of Sorrow (the wonderful DS sequel to Aria of Sorrow).

Other excellent DS games include Mario Kart DS, Tetris DS, Elite Beat Agents, and Contact.

Mewnie
Dec 29, 2007, 11:52 AM
If you are into the more 'old-school' RPGs like Wizardry or Bard's Tale (and if you can find a copy.. heh), I highly recommend Etrian Odyssey.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mewnie on 2007-12-29 08:53 ]</font>

kizu
Dec 29, 2007, 11:52 AM
mario kart and d/p are fun. advance wars ds is fun to but may be a little short

Wyndham
Dec 29, 2007, 11:53 AM
Mario Kart
Castlevanias
Lunar Knights
Phoenix Wright
those are some of my favourites.

Out_Kast
Dec 29, 2007, 11:57 AM
On 2007-12-29 05:24, Feelmirath wrote:

On 2007-12-29 04:55, UnderscoreX wrote:

Seconded.

Secondeded.
Also, look into Wario Ware. It's always a laugh =)

Dragwind
Dec 29, 2007, 03:47 PM
I have to agree with Warioware as well. Trying to beat records on those minigames get addicting.

Thalui89
Dec 29, 2007, 03:51 PM
Children of mana is pretty cool http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Angelo
Dec 29, 2007, 03:53 PM
My most played DS games are

-Jump Ultimate Stars
-Wario Ware: Touched
-Elite Beat Agents

Infinite replay value on all three of those games.

Darkly
Dec 29, 2007, 09:08 PM
animal crossing is good choice for length, just depends if you like that type of game - my favourite ds game was definately phoenix wright like the posters above - it is mainly a text based game however so don't bother unless you like them.

both games have plenty of personality - which is something of a rarity on the ds.

Monochrome
Dec 29, 2007, 09:47 PM
Nintendogs. ........... ...... ..................... what?

Zarode
Dec 29, 2007, 10:50 PM
Just so you guys know, the term is Metroidvania. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif It means that a game has elements of a Metroid or Castlevania ARPG (action RPG) game. (I'm not making this up too, many places use this term. Can't blame them too, because it fits the name) Portrait of Ruin being a Metroidvania.

If you are into puzzle games, Sudoku (brain age or any game of the such) and Picross DS will keep you occupied for quite some time (some puzzles take me anywhere from thirty minutes to two hours).

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin is a fun game, but when I got towards the end, I lost interest. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zarode on 2007-12-29 19:51 ]</font>

Noblewine
Dec 30, 2007, 12:10 AM
If you like Contra they are making a remake for the DS. I would also suggest Legend of Zelda: PHG

Sgt_Shligger
Dec 30, 2007, 06:24 AM
On 2007-12-29 05:24, Obscenity wrote:

On 2007-12-29 00:54, Sgt_Shligger wrote:

Diamond/Pearl have enough new stuff that if you played and enjoyed a Pokemon game before, you'll probably like Diamond/Pearl enough to sink at least 50 or 60 hours into it.

I was getting at the fact I had Poke'mon Pearl at one point (though I guess I didn't really clarify that). I can't start over again http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

On 2007-12-29 21:10, Noblewine wrote:
If you like Contra they are making a remake for the DS. I would also suggest Legend of Zelda: PHG

Also, read my first post. I addressed the reason I wouldn't get Contra (and it's already out). I've never been a real fan of the Zelda series myself.

Also, I got Mario Kart for the DS today. Haven't gotten a lot of play time in yet, I'll be on it more tomorrow.

Pengfishh
Jan 1, 2008, 03:45 PM
I've spent a lot of time with the two DS Castlevania games and have enjoyed them much, having never played a Castlevania game before. It was told to me to play Portrait first and Dawn second, so I did and I pass on this recommendation.