PDA

View Full Version : PSO Swear Filter!

Finn
Feb 14, 2001, 07:49 PM
I would just like to point out something peculiar about the language filter on PSO

You can't say "Saturday" because evidently it contains the word "turd".

Additionally you cant say "How do you do?" in Japanese! Why? Because "Hajimemashite" well, you get the idea...

This also rules out "Aishiteru" so you must find other ways of professing your love on PSO!

I have also noticed to can't abbreviate japanese to "jap", you can't say "blow" etc, etc...

however! You can say "ARSEHOLE"!!! (Try it!)

Cheers,

Finn

DCKaz
Feb 14, 2001, 07:55 PM
yeah even 'bugger' is bad.. go figure :b

DCKaz

DarkKnight
Feb 14, 2001, 08:39 PM
this is too crazy!
last week i could say 'B*tches'!(everyone laught!http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif)
but now it says '*****es'

Twinsen
Feb 14, 2001, 08:45 PM
Poop = bad
Ass = good
Screw = bad
Bitch = good (first word in sentence anyway)
Hell = bad
Heaven = good

That swear filter really needs some work, I find it really annoying when I want to say common words such as, damn (Ah damnit! I died again!) or hell (What the hell did that thing just do!?...back to first phrasehttp://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif), it's all censored. They could have censored only the word (and only the really offensive ones that can't be said on cable US TV), not the word within other letters like Finn's example, Aishiteru (whatever that means...maybe I'll never know...unless Finn tells me! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif). But anyway, that's enough of this, time for me to eat some chili and then search for the Twin Brand in PSO!!! http://tomeeboy.com/pso/images/phpbb/subject/icon6.gif

[addsig]

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Twinsen on 2001-02-14 17:47 ]</font>

Nex_Nergal
Apr 3, 2001, 05:30 AM
And you can't say the swedish word "fick" whitch is "got" (like: I got) in english, whitch is kind of desturbing.

The language filter is completely useless, 'cos if u want to say fuck u just type f uck. I wish they took it away.

PSO_Krunk
Apr 3, 2001, 05:44 AM
i learned the other day that you cant say, "toss"!

toss!

jesus, this thing is pathetic.

f0rge
Apr 3, 2001, 05:46 AM
yeah...it's retartded

the funniest one of all has to be drugs, you cant say drugs, now thats just sad...

same with gay

but you can say dammit (which is how i've always spelled it)

i think the filters should have been on the games instead of the servers, that way WE could decide what level of profanity we want to tolerate, and the parents of youngans could do it for them

Mina
Apr 3, 2001, 06:56 AM
Marica...is a mag..and a bad word...
Hell..what if your just to lazy to write he'll?
Some words are ok..but saturday?Cola?WTF
i just make up swear word lol bith cha,flicker...
is beer cencored?if its not then why are drugs?
toss is a bad word?Whats next fun..oh cool i found a hell w/e it will be oh cool i found a %@! w/e.

Its just to much

---------Mina ^.-

dystopia
Apr 3, 2001, 06:59 AM
A friend of mine discovered you can say "CUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" as long as it has the exclaimation points after it.

It makes me laugh that you cna get away with the above, but god forbid you say "shoes" :P

Stixxx
Apr 3, 2001, 07:27 AM
my faves..

hell = bad but its a type of weapon LOL
dumbass gets caught but dumass dont

but my alltime favorite word is....

Jackass

yep.. an insult that you can get away with.. why you may ask... cause its a mule jesus rode on LOL

HAHAHAHAHAH

(had somone scream "your callin me bad names im gunna tell sega!!" this after he stole a friends doublesaber.. i think not... so i basically said claa sega and tell them you stole from me.. and im calling you a word their filters dont screenout... huuuummmm) dont take a brain scientist to figure out who wouldv won LOL

still love that tho....

Jackass HAHAHHAHAHHAHAH

sorry to many happy gillmore reruns LOL

"Love and Peace"

Carhartt
Apr 3, 2001, 07:33 AM
the woeds "toss" and "bugger" are filtered out because in England there slang for,

toss-jack off
bugger-f*cker

This is what I've be told any way (by a freind who moved from England)

Ukyou
Apr 3, 2001, 07:45 AM
can't say poof or frig ^_^
oh, and that cunt thing..."almost" any word can be bypassed by using an exclamation point at the end...

HeavyNova
Apr 3, 2001, 07:48 AM
-Dictionary meaning-

Bugger: A person who has anal intercourse with people or sexual intercourse with animals.

Coxy
Apr 3, 2001, 08:00 AM
ur on the money heavynova bugger is english slang for giving it to sum1 up the batty(arse)

Defend
Apr 3, 2001, 08:19 AM
What I hate is that I don't swear too badly. Like I say crap, arse, bitch... but that's about it. Well, what I'd called bad anyway.

Now if I say fart, poop (not poo), idiot.. or anything like that, it makes me look like I'm full on swearing, and that's a %@*#!

See?

What I also hate is that it makes it harder to comminicate NORMALLY than it is to simply convery a swearword. Saturday becomes a pain to write, yet anyone can put a full stop in anywhere. It's just so.. un-thought-out.

Omege12
Apr 3, 2001, 09:08 AM
I still don't get why you can't say Marica. It's a **** for *****'s sake! They need to fix their **** before **** ****!!!

P.S. ***** *** ***** inside of ***!!!!

Nynaeve
Apr 3, 2001, 09:19 AM
On 2001-04-03 03:46, f0rge wrote:
i think the filters should have been on the games instead of the servers, that way WE could decide what level of profanity we want to tolerate, and the parents of youngans could do it for them

Interesting thought - except then it would be far more dangerous for me to let my kids watch me play online (or play online themselves, which I let them do yesterday for the first time) at age 7 and 8 - let's face it, the majority of the folks out there would really cut back on the words that are "bad" and it would become a rough place online for a game that could be a family addiction like it is at my house. ALTHOUGH - I do *totally* agree that the filter is way too picky - I spend more time trying to explain to my kids that "Saturday" is NOT a swear, or that I don't think "Damn" is a bad word - they LOVE to argue with me..."But mom, PSO says it's a swear, YOU SWEARED mom!!!!" *sigh*

"Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!"

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Nynaeve on 2001-04-03 07:20 ]</font>

IceBlink
Apr 3, 2001, 10:02 AM
I can't say the word 'suspicious' when someone is complaining to me that they lost their double saber, when they're at level 10 with a Soniti mag, and typing in that weird capital letters, exchanging words for letters type... ^_^;;

Hmmm.. that's my two pence. ^_^

Acel
Apr 3, 2001, 12:58 PM
You can get away with a bunch of stuffs when you out "ass" in front of it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_razz.gif
Try it.

Ps: even a name like YUGO is not spared.