PDA

View Full Version : Who stands the best chance to deliver ?

eXo
Jan 2, 2008, 01:10 PM
New Year's Resolutions For "The Big 3"

Everyone has New Year's resolutions, even mega-global corporations. To find out how Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo planned to "better themselves" in 2008, we hopped a plane to each corporate headquarters location and stuck our ear to the door of each New Year company meeting (no, really, they have those). We listened to the solemn pledge coming from each room, scribbled it down frantically, then headed back to the airport. After logging a gajillion flight hours and getting over the worst case of jet lag in human history, we are prepared to issue our findings to the general gaming public.

Once we heard their resolutions, we have to say...we agree entirely.

Sony: "We resolve to stick with one PlayStation 3 model for the whole year, keep our last few major exclusives, and continue fleshing out the PlayStation Network."

As they didn't believe they had one major issue that needs addressing - like Microsoft and Nintendo - Sony decided to focus on three smaller resolutions this year. But just because they're smaller doesn't make them any less important. We kinda understand the PS3 model-changing process, but they really can't do it again. If they want to drop the hardware price again, fine, but don't confuse consumers any further with a fifth model. More rumors are circulating that Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is coming to the Xbox 360, and that's relevant to Sony's second mini-resolution, which involves holding on to key exclusives. MGS4 is definitely one of them, but they've already lost the likes of Devil May Cry 4. Thankfully, there's no way they can ever lose Gran Turismo 5 (made by second-party Polyphony Digital), but we're just saying. Let's keep MGS4 and others like Final Fantasy XIII exclusive to the PS3. Those are bona fide and guaranteed system sellers.

Lastly, Sony really wants to continue the upgrading process for the PlayStation Network, and of course, PlayStation Home will go a long way towards achieving that goal. We also hope they plan to keep the service free, because if we have a service on par with Live but still free of charge and with Home included...well, that's a definite feather in Sony's cap. We heard each major executive recite the previously listed resolution, so we have faith they will stick to each vow.

Microsoft: "We will stop lying to our consumers and make a product that actually works."

Microsoft would've had a great year had it not been for the 360 reliability catastrophe (don't kid yourself; that's exactly what it was). After essentially lying through their teeth for a year and a half, claiming the 360 fell within the acceptable boundaries of a 2-4% defective rate, the top 5 retailers for the system reported a disastrous 33% defective ratio in the summer of 2007. The fallout still hasn't cleared up, and despite claims that they've addressed the problem, systems appear to keep coming back. GameStop was forced to stop offering their replacement guarantee on new 360 consoles, post offices were flooded with system returns, and consumers were just a mite miffed...to say the least. Microsoft's console remains, by far and away, the least reliable system out there and arguably the least reliable in gaming history. This being the case, every last Microsoft exec in the land stood up, raised their hand, and made an honest oath to never let it happen again.

Therefore, we might actually start seeing working consoles on the stands in GameStops, and the "Red Ring of Death" may soon become a thing of the past. Yes, we realize you probably don't know a single human being who is still on their first 360 (some are already onto their third and fourth), but it's all going to change in 2008 and beyond. Microsoft said so, and we believe them.

Nintendo: "We resolve to deliver our products to stores so people can buy them, and we resolve to actually make software for those products."

After storming out of the gate with the Wii in late 2006, Nintendo has fallen into the same exact trap they fell into last generation, only with the added frustration of difficult-to-find hardware. As usual, the Big "N" seems capable of delivering only one or two outstanding titles in any given year (it was Super Mario Galaxy and perhaps Metroid Prime 3: Corruption in 2007), and this severe lack of software is already starting to eat away at the console's lead. The latter part of 2007 was dominated by the likes of Halo 3, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Mass Effect, Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, Heavenly Sword, Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, Rock Band, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, and not a one was for the Wii. Furthermore, in looking at all the gigantic games of 2008, not a one of those on the radar is for the Wii: MGS4, DMC4, GTAIV, GT5, FFXIII, etc.

So Nintendo is going to take things up a notch to compete with all that, and we're happy to hear it. On top of which, they also resolved to make the Wii easier to find in stores; having consumers search high and low for a system during the launch was acceptable, but making them do it again a year later isn't. Hence, Nintendo has resolved to make more hardware and more software, plain and simple. Yay!

So there you have it. "The Big 3" have made their New Year's Resolutions, and we fully expect them to stand by their vows. We'll be checkin' up on ya to make sure you stick to them, guys!

Source: http://www.psxextreme.com/feature/244.html

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: eXo on 2008-01-02 10:11 ]</font>

eXo
Jan 2, 2008, 01:15 PM
I would say that sony looks promising atm , however tey cant garantee the console exclusive titles imo.Second would be nintendo because they already have one sure fire hit on their hands with SSBB and pretty much they just need to pump out a few more while riding SSBB coattail.Microsoft leaves me feeling uncertain because it's going to take atleast 3/4 of the year the properly resolve the ROD issue.

Solstis
Jan 2, 2008, 01:28 PM
I'm sensing a bit of favoritism. Just a bit.

Super Smash Brothers is coming out soonish. Nintendo could do nothing else for the next year or so and be fine.

eXo
Jan 2, 2008, 01:58 PM
yea but i based my statment on the fact that the articles main complaint about nintendo is, that they had 2 major titles out last year... and the Wii can provide so much more.

Dre_o
Jan 2, 2008, 02:34 PM
On 2008-01-02 10:28, Solstis wrote:
I'm sensing a bit of favoritism. Just a bit.

Super Smash Brothers is coming out soonish. Nintendo could do nothing else for the next year or so and be fine.

I agree with both points he makes. Hell, I'll be buying a Wii for Smash Bros alone pretty much.

ljkkjlcm9
Jan 2, 2008, 03:15 PM
On 2008-01-02 10:58, eXo wrote:
yea but i based my statment on the fact that the articles main complaint about nintendo is, that they had 2 major titles out last year... and the Wii can provide so much more.

Don't yell at Nintendo, that's third parties, not them

THE JACKEL

amtalx
Jan 2, 2008, 03:19 PM
Nintendo needs to bring back the Nintendo Seal of Approval. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Shadowpawn
Jan 2, 2008, 03:32 PM
On 2008-01-02 12:19, amtalx wrote:
Nintendo needs to bring back the Nintendo Seal of Approval. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

That's sort of a problem because the major of Nintendo games themselves haven't been seen as high quality games since the SNES/Early N64 days.

eXo
Jan 3, 2008, 12:58 AM
On 2008-01-02 12:15, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:

THE JACKEL

No dont get me wrong i love nintendo with all of my heart i went to war, for gamecube vs the original xbox and i will support Zelda until its discontinued or i die http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

DizzyDi
Jan 3, 2008, 01:13 AM
On 2008-01-02 12:15, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:

THE JACKEL

Don't yell at Third Parties, thats Nintendo, not them.
Why make a game on a Nintendo console when NINTENDO themselves is just going to make a 1st party game and outsell you?

Shadow_Wing
Jan 3, 2008, 03:38 AM
Um if I remember correctly, the main thing about the lack of 3rd party support was the uneasy relationship third party companies had with Nintendo and didn't really believe that the Wii wouldn't be as popular as it is (I don't blame em the GC was a major flop).

In addition to that the Wii does have hardware restrictions due to it using hardware that isn't up to par with it's 2 next gen counterparts, in addition to that the fact the usage of the Wii is really polar in comparison to 360 and PS3.

IMO Nintendo doesn't have much of a software problem as it has a keeping up with demand problem.

This article though, is total fallacy. It does touch base on some of the issues that do plague all 3 companies, however, it's at best a basic understanding of what's going on really.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadow_Wing on 2008-01-03 00:41 ]</font>

Blitzkommando
Jan 3, 2008, 03:49 AM
Why is it that out of the three Sony's resolution is the one that makes me chuckle the most? Perhaps because all of the announcements made last year were the complete opposite of what they actually did? Could be, could be...

All three companies have their problems. Sony is having trouble building up and holding on to what they have. Microsoft is mainly just battling itself and fixing its own FUBs. Nintendo needs to get out more hardware and software.