PDA

View Full Version : On gamesharking when your char was deleted.

Ambrai
Feb 28, 2001, 04:10 PM
Since multiple threads have been poping up asking for the communities approval on this...

I would just like to remind everyone that when you hack your level, its just a number. You are not as effective as if you worked your way up to the previous lv you were. Remember the stories of the lv 100's who were hitting for 50's? Getting their arse handed to them by rag rappies?

My best suggestion is to take your friends and have them powerlv you in the ruins. Whip out an AE spell and hit everything once and let them finish the mobs off.

And just remember, when you think you got it bad when you lost your char... This isn't EQ where you can get in a bind death loop and lose a years worth of work...

Also playing the antagonist here. You the player are responsible for backing up your char. Yes I agree that its complete BS That we even have to. That Sega shouldnt of released a game in the state it is... but at least with proper planning your risk will be low.

Also do remember that it has been proven that you can avoid the BSoD by NOT unplugging your modem but by letting it auto disconnect. You will not lose anything this way. That leaves 2 ways to lose items. VMU falling out during a save, or your DC locking up (happened to me).

Zephyr
Feb 28, 2001, 08:44 PM
Also playing the antagonist here. You the player are responsible for backing up your char. Yes I agree that its complete BS That we even have to. That Sega shouldn?t of released a game in the state it is... but at least with proper planning your risk will be low.

The problem with that idea is that it's a rare player who has the ability to backup their character. It requires either an e-mail account, an extra vmu, the proper version of the web browser and the knowledge of how to go about the backup process or a serial cable, DC to PC backup software, a DC VGA cable and once again the knowledge.

That leaves 2 ways to lose items. VMU falling out during a save, or your DC locking up (happened to me).

I'll just add a few more to your list of possibilities: Your DC spontaneously resetting (happened to me and one of the other people in the same game at the same time), having an item on the ground when you're having network difficulties (server crash, getting disconnected from your ISP or anything along those lines) and finally thieves.

Anyway, you made me realize I really need to start backing up my character http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_razz.gif. One question, how can you tell what version of the web browser software you have? I just have the original CD that came with my DC... it doesn't seem to have a version number anywhere. Thanks.

Ambrai
Feb 28, 2001, 08:48 PM
I will be creating a FAQ for backing up your char shortly =).

I am using web browser 2.0 which came with my DC right after the price dropped to 150.

Anyone is more than welcome to icq me if they need help with the backups. You don't need 2 VMU's but it makes life easier to test the backup.

STRIDER88
Feb 28, 2001, 08:57 PM
How do you get youre file from E-mail to the VMU I cant seem to find an option to do this! hey guess waht I just lost my char last night! so fuckin pist! but I backed it up a couple levels back still pist vmu is 100% broken now I cant even used it for ANY games now!
thanks for any help

Strider88

Ambrai
Feb 28, 2001, 09:14 PM
its a fairly simple process. Just view your email with your web browser, which I am assuming is setup since you emailed the file to yourself.

Now view the email that has the attachment on it. Click on the attachment and it will ask you which vmu would you like to save it on. Save it to the VMU of your choice and your done IF it said 'saved ok'.

Zephyr
Mar 1, 2001, 12:48 AM
I'm thinking I have the 1.0 browser, or whichever version shipped with the original DC. There doesn't seem to be an attatchment option in the e-mail part of the application. Does anyone know how you order or buy 2.0?
[addsig]

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Zephyr on 2001-02-28 21:48 ]</font>

Finn
Mar 1, 2001, 01:10 AM
Ambrai!

227 posts!

wow!

Finn
Thats...

Finn
a.....

Finn
lot!

Velga
Mar 1, 2001, 01:42 AM
Hacking cause a lost character. Why not just hack him in the first place. The fun of this game isnt being a level, its getting to a level. Starting over may just end up being more fun, and if not your just lazy (:. Anyway i thinkj pso shoulda been server side saves anyway. More lag but better item economy and no cheaters http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_razz.gif.

Ninjakid69
Mar 1, 2001, 02:06 AM
Hmm, not many people have access to backing up their character. Me for example, I use a free isp so I am not able to send mail to my yahoo address (it can be done but not with a free isp, they are cutting bandwidth like crazy)...unless anyone knows a free isp that allows me to send mail?

AdoptedDeV
Mar 1, 2001, 02:15 AM
We need a webpage that allows to upload saves and e-mails them back to us!... It worked with the SnapShot WHY NOT regular PSO VMu saves...

Juno probaly blocks the damn email, I always get 'server is busy' BS

Ghen
Mar 1, 2001, 02:24 AM
Heh, one minor point Ambrai. If you were caught in a Death Loop, at least on Rodcet Nife, the two times I had heard of the incident happening GM's properly restored the character from backup, alot of people don't really have that option here ;p. As far as the issue of cheating to get your character back to where it was, I'm neutral. It's your character, do what you wish with it, as long as it doesn't impunge my games in a negative fashion, I could care less ;p

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Ghen on 2001-02-28 23:28 ]</font>

Vanse
Mar 1, 2001, 02:28 AM
If you get in a bind death loop in EQ you are a f'ing retard...sorry http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif there is a feature called /q. if you are somewhere that dangerous, i am sure you have enough friends to get you back out. they clear the mobs, you log back in. If you bound yourself in midair falling off a cliff, then you deserve to be lvl 1. Dreamcast character losses are NOTHING like EQ, actually PSO is nothing like EQ so I don't know why you always make cross refrences, we know you played EQ. Someone hacked my EQ account just the other day and gave all my no drop stuff to a mule, sooooo I talked to a GM friend, got the account suspended, got a new password put on it, and got a restore of all of my items.. when is the last time some dude from Sega appeared in your game and made your character and his gear reappear? This is a total bug on Sega's part and shows why rushed products suck. Though I am totally against the use of Gameshark, I can see why people would bring up the question of using it after a character poofed. The sad thing is that the only safeguard you have against character deletion is the easiest method of duping items in the game. Anyone w/ browser 2.0 can make 10 of each of his rare items and flood the market with them. Like when people make up these BS stories, o ummm I found a holy ray but I didn't like it so it's up for trade! ummm yeah...sure. welp just had to get that off my chest http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_biggrin.gif hey zeph, you can get the 2.0 browser through sega.net for free. the website app seems to be broken ATM, but you can call sega net and give them your addy and stuff and they will mail one out to you for free. i cracked my 2.0 disc by mistake and had to order another the other day http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_frown.gif

Zephyr
Mar 1, 2001, 02:56 AM
Cool, thanks Vanse, I'll do that. Shoul I ask specificly for v2.0? Or will they send me that version that has a chance of messing things up with PSO?

Vanse
Mar 1, 2001, 03:14 AM
they say it's for 2.0 only and if you want 2.6 you need to get it from dreamcast magazine. so i am assuming they are still sending 2.0, i got one about a month ago and am waiting for a new one as we speak http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

Ambrai
Mar 1, 2001, 03:21 AM
Vanse,

On /q'ing. I agree with you. if you are there staring at the screen while you get #$%#ed by mobs its your problem. But there were 2 cases on brell that diserve mention. Infynite went LD in fear and his char stuck on the world. He wasnt able to log for the rest of the day. He got a world kick and logged back in as a lv 11 in fear (he has a ss of this for humor). He did get a restore - 4 levels.

The other one was Minute, the jack-arse enchanter. He was in kedge and recieved a emergency phone call, he got a port out and ran across the street to the woman's house who called. She was elderly and fell down breaking her hip. He got back 3 hours later to find out he died somehow at the druid circle and was bound in kedge..... you can guess what happened after that. GM's didnt restore him.