PDA

View Full Version : Job.

Leviathan
Jan 2, 2008, 10:35 PM
What's a great first place to work.

...Especially with no job experience. =[

ABDUR101
Jan 2, 2008, 10:42 PM
McDonalds, Burger King, anyplace that needs a dishwasher/floor or toilet cleaner.

Cashiers are always in high demand for retail stores everywhere, or a very low level entry position if you're good with computers for data entry/tech support.

AlexCraig
Jan 2, 2008, 10:53 PM
Well, as one whom has only had one job, I can tell you what NOT to do. NEVER work at an ebay store. It is so much hassle and not worth it.

Bot-Bot
Jan 2, 2008, 11:37 PM
I work at Arbys. I have been working there for over a year, and I'm still fine with my job. In the "Fast Food" industry there is usually high turn-over percentages for just casiers and cleaners. I have been offered a shift manager job for when I turn 18 in February, which is a $2-3 raise. In my case, that is significant, because I will be going to college next year, and I need to have a decent stockpile of money for..."stuff". Being a shift manager will be excellent for me and my future, even if it's just for the summer. And toughing out working low pay in the beginning will pay off as I approach college semester.

Monochrome
Jan 2, 2008, 11:38 PM
I'd say: corporate retail store, cashier or merchandising type job. They are almost always hiring for these kind of positions, entry level. If you pick a store you like to shop at, odds are you will also get a discount on stuff you would be buying already, plus you'll meet alot of cool people. Just don't get trapped there and work there till you are 30. The work is easy and most people are relaxed, except for the managers (the aforementioned folks who stayed into their 30's and are now trapped in a dead-end, low-pay job with their neck constantly on the line.)

amtalx
Jan 3, 2008, 07:26 AM
It all depends on if you like working with people or not. Personally, I hate customer service. You job is essentially to be nice to people who are being assholes. The food service industry is always looking for hires. If you don't mind putting up with some jackass who has too much ice in his soda, go for that.

Otherwise, people always like to have their heavy objects moved for them. Movers and contractors also need people, not much in the winter though. You could also try to swing a job in computers since you are obviously acquainted with the internets already.

BlaizeYES
Jan 3, 2008, 08:44 AM
On 2008-01-02 20:38, Monochrome wrote:
I'd say: corporate retail store, cashier or merchandising type job. They are almost always hiring for these kind of positions, entry level. If you pick a store you like to shop at, odds are you will also get a discount on stuff you would be buying already, plus you'll meet alot of cool people. Just don't get trapped there and work there till you are 30. The work is easy and most people are relaxed, except for the managers (the aforementioned folks who stayed into their 30's and are now trapped in a dead-end, low-pay job with their neck constantly on the line.)

my first job was working at sam's club pushing carts. it was probably the easiest and most fun job i've ever had in my life. and enjoy the easy jobs, my boy. because it only gets more tedius and boring from there lol. AND IM OFF

UnderscoreX
Jan 3, 2008, 09:48 AM
I worked at a toy store, only job ever.
Kinda fun really.

Scrub
Jan 3, 2008, 10:04 AM
I made the mistake of getting a job at Wal-mart. Applied for a part time job and was getting 40 hours a week, which was fine during the summer, but eventually college started up. I tried to keep up with all the school and work, but I couldn't, and told them I had signed up for part-time, and I couldn't work unless I was given part-time hours. I was told that they couldn't do that, since I was one of the only ones in my department, so I quit.

I didn't really mind the job so much, but the people were such assholes. The customers I met were always nice and friendly, but holy shit, all the employees were miserable, depressed, and angry. I can't believe I put up with that shit for as long as I did.

Leviathan
Jan 3, 2008, 01:31 PM
On 2008-01-02 20:38, Monochrome wrote:

I don't mind putting up with people. I think working at at toy store would be nice because working with kids is easy to do, for me atleast.

Do all job's in a clothing store have a 15% discount at first? I heard Hot Topic has 40%.

Solstis
Jan 3, 2008, 02:02 PM
On 2008-01-03 07:04, Scrub wrote:
I made the mistake of getting a job at Wal-mart. Applied for a part time job and was getting 40 hours a week, which was fine during the summer, but eventually college started up. I tried to keep up with all the school and work, but I couldn't, and told them I had signed up for part-time, and I couldn't work unless I was given part-time hours. I was told that they couldn't do that, since I was one of the only ones in my department, so I quit.

I didn't really mind the job so much, but the people were such assholes. The customers I met were always nice and friendly, but holy shit, all the employees were miserable, depressed, and angry. I can't believe I put up with that shit for as long as I did.

Thanks for that info Scrub, was wondering if the angry WalMart employee thing was universal. I hate shopping there.

The only job I've had so far was a campus security job, which basically meant that I walked around a lot and watched people do stupid things. If the things were stupid enough, then I called it in. Easy, aside from the awful, deadly humidity (and later cold).

ABDUR101
Jan 3, 2008, 03:08 PM
WalMart employees are so pissy because Walmart itself treats them like shit. Its' no secret that Walmart treats it's employees horrendously when it comes to health benefits, time off, etc. But then you don't get to be as big as Walmart without cutting corners somewhere. My middle sister worked in the photolab for years in her younger years, worked her way up to manager and had a great time there; except for the sexual harassment from a higher-up. My mom worked in the largest sections(household items) and was basically worked to the bone because the other person who she worked with was always dicking around and wasting time.

However, while the employees at the local Walmart are always courteous, and most often always able to smile and laugh with you, they do seem overworked and abit frazzled.(Though admittedly, when I was frazzled and overworked, humor and laughter kept me from killing myself and others after a 12-14 hour day of dealing with nursing staff, doctors and elderly residents). You pretty much reach the point where even when bad shit happens, you find yourself giggling; merely because thats the counter-balance.

Personally, if I were looking for a job, I'd do after-hours restocking or clean-up. I don't like dealing with people, and I'd gladly take abit less pay for far less hassle.

"Excuse me, your advertisement says peas are .89cents a can, but all you have are .99cent tags, I demand to have the lower price or to talk to your manager."

"You're absolutely right. I'll be right back, you wait right here and I'll go inform the manager."
*goes out to lunch*

I don't think people realise, that overall, just because someone has a "Walmart"/"Food Lion"/whatever uniform/nametag, that they really don't give a shit if they're a happy customer or an irate customer. If I were working for a larger chain, I would'nt. I get paid the same shitty paycheck whether they get their lower price or not, and infact, their lower priced item is why I have a shitty paycheck.

...oh wait, thats an alternate reality where I'd be stupid enough to work in retail and choose to deal with people. Nevermind!

Temjin-On
Jan 3, 2008, 04:15 PM
From my experience, you'll be better off in Retail than fast food, though fast food is something everyone needs to work at least ONCE in their life, for the lessons you can learn. But, I'd suggest if you have one in your area, go work at a Target. I loved working for Target this past winter and at least the one I worked for treated its employees better than you'd think.

I've never had a complaint working for them, so I'd suggest Target.

Noblewine
Jan 3, 2008, 04:59 PM
A grocery market is okay the pay is minimum wage but the big payoff is the customers.

Sinue_v2
Jan 3, 2008, 07:10 PM
Its' no secret that Walmart treats it's employees horrendously when it comes to health benefits, time off, etc. But then you don't get to be as big as Walmart without cutting corners somewhere.

It's worse than that. I don't know about other stores, but in our store we were forbidden from using the water fountains within the store itself. The water fountains in the break room were perpetually broken, forcing employees to BUY water from the vending machine. This wasn't as big a deal for those who were working inside stocking the shelves - but I was pushing carts outside.

Pushing carts is a bullshit job, especially in my area. We had 1 cart pusher, which was in constant use by the retard they had hired. (And seriously, he was mentally handicapped) So they wanted us to push up to 40 carts at a time, with busted sticking wheels, up a hill, in all sorts of weather. Freezing cold and snow? 90 digree temps? Rain? Sleet? Hail? Doesn't matter. Do it.

No, fuck that. Not for 5.50 a fucking hour. I lasted one day. It was a temporary job anyhow, but Christ. I'd rather just hold out on my bank account, sell a few things, and wait for a factory job to come along. Which it did shortly thereafter. Working in a factory sucks, but at least it was indoors, heated, and payed 13.25 an hour. Not to mention that I actually felt like I was doing human work, running parts and doing QC work with Micrometers and Calipers to check precision. Not pushing a fucking cart.

As your first job, I'd say work fast food or retail. But above all, as soon as you get the chance, go to collage and get an education. While not true in every case, as a general rule of thumb, the harder you work - the less you earn. Find a job where you have to use your head a little and you'll earn a lot more and bust your ass a lot less. Personally, I prefer stress and ulcers over a broken body and empty wallet at the end of the day.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2008-01-03 16:12 ]</font>

NPCMook
Jan 3, 2008, 07:55 PM
My first job was working as a Games Attendant for a local theme parkish type place, Payed 5.50 an hour, it was okay during the summer... But came school time when they were letting people off because they had to do Pre-AP homework really rubbed me the wrong way. Also yeah we had to work in the heat, being in Texas, that can get into the 100's. One day it got up to 110 degrees out, they let half the game workers go home because it was too hot, while the rest of us had to suffer and bear with it... because we had shade... Not to mention we got 1 cup for the entire day to use for drinking water, which was obtained from a Garden hose tap... Yeah never again...

Second Job I was a Box office employee for Cinemark... wow... never again, just never again. The enjoyable thing was I actually got to tell the customer, "No" I made a few good friends, but the turn over rate was sooo high, I didn't really get to know them all the long. I did Box office for 6 months, and then finally moved up to my current position Projection, its a simple job, with little work. But at Cinemark they literally were expecting me to do more than what was possible for 1 shift. Sweep(15min.), Mop(?? Min. this was rather hard to do since you couldn't mop while movies were going), Pull Trailers(5 mins depending on how you did it), Do rounds(9-18 min, depending on how many machines I had to look after, and this was done every 15 minutes), Break down movies(45+ minutes). No that doesn't even include paper work, threading machines and starting movies. They were demanding a lot more work than most of use could do in a single shift, but wanted it done.

Working in a movie theater isn't hard... I'm sure another person on these boards will agree its an easy-ish job, but not the greatest... especially is you are an usher... >.>

Everyone has to start somewhere, so you might as well just suffer and get it over with and become the humanity loather everyone else eventually becomes

Kylie
Jan 4, 2008, 02:32 PM
I think my first job was at a clothing store when I was seventeen... over the summer that year. It was alright, but I think it only lasted that summer since I had school and stuff. Then I got a few different part time jobs over college.

Wyndham
Jan 4, 2008, 02:48 PM
I'm trying to get a job as a teachers' assistant in a computer class at an art school. the school uses macs, and the teacher is a friend of mine. they just need to check if I have a criminal record.

BlaizeYES
Jan 5, 2008, 05:03 AM
On 2008-01-03 07:04, Scrub wrote:

try working 50 hours a week, then working an additional 20 hours at a restaurant on weekends serving tables, and going to school full time on weeknights... and for over a year and a half. now THAT WAS FUN. you'd be surprised what you're capable of when you just put your head down and POWER THROUGH. time for sleep

Scrub
Jan 5, 2008, 07:36 AM
On 2008-01-05 02:03, BlaizeYES wrote:

try working 50 hours a week, then working an additional 20 hours at a restaurant on weekends serving tables, and going to school full time on weeknights... and for over a year and a half. now THAT WAS FUN. you'd be surprised what you're capable of when you just put your head down and POWER THROUGH. time for sleep

No, fuck that. If I ever get to the point where I have to do something like that, I'll just kill myself. What the fuck's the point in living life if you have no time to enjoy it? Sure it might pay off later, or whatever, but I'm impatient when it comes to gratification.

You're a crazy motherfucker.

BlaizeYES
Jan 5, 2008, 10:30 AM
lol. i don't do it anymore, but it really isnt as crazy as it may sound. it was more about putting money in the bank, paying for college and an apartment, and being able to get myself ready to transfer and move again. and trust me, theres people out there that have it even worse. its not hard to do either; it just starts from getting a job at 40 hours a week, and then brownnosing the boss about staying after 5:30 to organize things, then school starting and asking him to come in before 8, and then saying, "well i'm making this much right now, i wonder what i can squeeze in later" and then working at an outback steakhouse because i didnt have any night classes on friday or the weekend. i would be scheduling everything, even "appointments" for hanging out with friends if i needed to unwind for a little while... theres always those people that dont have an agenda at all that you can call any time and there's a get together or something else going on, because they dont really have responsibilities. even now, my schedule is not nearly as busy, but you still feel that need to be doing something productive when i do have that free time during the day. LEARN TO LOVE WORKING AND REACH FOR BIGGER GOALS.

i have old friends that dropped out of college, were working 25 hours a week, and complaining about working too much because it interfered with their recreational activities. then when it'd come down to a vacation with my friends that are more mature, they never had the finances. after a weekend, you can usually see where most of all their paycheck went. some people just feel the need to "let loose" and "have fun" 24/7... such is the life of a burnout.

moral of the story is: LIFE IS LIKE AN EPIC MOVIE. WHEN YOU'RE AMBITIOUS, EVEN THE MUNDANE POINTS ARE JUST BUILDUPS TO AN AMAZING PINNACLE THAT NEVER STOPS PEAKING