PDA

View Full Version : is the Wii an expensive system?

Saner
Jan 7, 2008, 12:27 PM
ya cause I wonder how much it costs just the system itself and whatever it comes with.

but then there's the wiimote problem cause it needs batteries (grrr shoulda had a cable like Xbox360 controllers or at leat the wireless ones that can be plugged in).

but I heard wiimote had a charger, is that like a battery pack you charge?

but ya wonder how much a Wii costs now.

Shadowpawn
Jan 7, 2008, 12:33 PM
The Wii is the cheapest out of the big three. It cost 250 dollars at the moment and the wiimote might come with a charger.

amtalx
Jan 7, 2008, 12:41 PM
There are rechargeable battery packs available for the Wii. I suggest you get one ,as the Wii eats batteries faster than any other system I have.

SubstanceD
Jan 7, 2008, 01:44 PM
The Wii is the cheapest of the current gen consoles. As for batteries for the Wii-mote, granted I don't play my Wii much these days but I don't think the battery consuptiom is all that high. Back when the Wii first came out ( back when I was playing Zelda everyday ) I think I only changed batteries once over a 3 month period.

Having said that, I am more concerned with the price of some of the Wii's games. Brand new Playstation 3 games and X-Box 360 games cost more but eventually the prices fall and they can be picked up at bargain prices. Where I live, Brand new Wii games are around the 50 Euro price mark and second hand games are only 5 Euro cheaper. I have also heard rumours that Nintendo have no intention of introducing a budget range similar to Sony's Platinum/Best of range. This might be limited to just Europe however since Nintendo has had a long history of screwing European gamers.

Saner
Jan 7, 2008, 02:26 PM
250???? so basically 300 if you buy a game. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif aah I think I'll wait. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Shadowpawn
Jan 7, 2008, 02:35 PM
Er... That's cheap compared to 350 bones for the 360 and 400 smackers for the PSTriple. :/

SubstanceD
Jan 7, 2008, 02:38 PM
Don't get discourged because of what I said. The PS3 and the 360 are still more expensive and if you are like me chances are you will buy all the great games as soon as they come out ( I have no patience ) so you'll still end up paying top dollar. The only reason I commented on the price of Wii games is beacuse in the long run it may be somthing to concider, that extra 5-20 Euro ( or dollar ) per used game ( or a title that has been out a while ) will eventually add up unless Nintendo changes it's policy on a budget range.

Saner
Jan 7, 2008, 03:37 PM
but the only great game is Brawl. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

hmmm. either that,

or maybe invest on a Saturn and Guardian Heroes..... which would
probably price for 150 since auctions are having good sales these
days.

hmmmm. but finding the 6 player adapter would be the tricky part.

kizu
Jan 7, 2008, 03:40 PM
in my opinion, Wii is the most expensive system to keep in the long run. the system it self is cheap but when you throw in controllers and games and what not, its become really expensive. Also, the wii just seems to lack really good replayable games so you need to keep investing in new ones (that's changing though). It also lacks the ability to play music and watch DVDs but for some, this is trival.

Saner
Jan 7, 2008, 03:54 PM
ya, but its also the same for PS3 and Xbox360. they all have these "top" games but their replayability is garbage. this includes Mass Effect, Zelda, Metal Gear games, etc. only the most obsessed fans replay those more than once.

the only ones that survive longer are mostly FPS and online multiplayer games.

that's one element I see Brawl excelling at, not to mention the all-star cast, and growing amount of features, content and customization. and being able to use Gamecube controllers will help make it a real winner. so it may be in fact a system worth getting for (but ya just waiting to see the rest of the smashbros.com updates to get a better picture of how great it will be). http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

so ya I still consider possibly getting a Wii, even if I have to trade in some stuff.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2008-01-07 12:55 ]</font>

Jife_Jifremok
Jan 7, 2008, 04:20 PM
The Wii with a Wiimote, Nunchuk and Wii Sports is around $250. You get a free pair of batteries with it, but you'll need to switch to something else quickly. I use rechargables. I can easily get NiMH (Nickel Metal-Hydride) batteries with a charger at RadioShack. (As much shit as people talk about RadioShack, their batteries at least get the job done.) That's another $20 or so right there, but it should save you a LOT of money since you won't be using up tons of alkalines.

Now, PERIPHERALS is where Nintendo's gonna get ya. Each additional Wiimote is $40 and each additional Nunchuk is $20. (Depending on the games you play with friends, you might not need additional Nunchuks, but Wiimotes are absolutely necessary.) If you're into classic gaming, you may wind up downloading Virtual console games. Figure $5 for an NES game, $8 or so for SNES/Genesis games, $10 for N64 games, I forget the exact prices. You'll probably want a Classic Controller for these games, as it is THE best traditional-style controller ever seen on a Nintendo system. I think that controller'll run you around $30. If you're a fan of shootin' games, you'll want a Wii Zapper, that'll be $20 or $30 (I forget which) but Link's Crossbow Training comes with it. And of course there's the games...

So let's just round that up.
$250 for Wii, Wiimote, Nunchuk, Wii Sports
$20-$30 for enough rechargable batteries and charger
We're looking at nearly $300 right there.
Now for the optional costs...
$20-$30 for Wii Zapper
$40 for additional Wiimote
$20 for additional Nunchuk
$20-$30 for Classic Controller
Games are $30-$50 each.
...yeah, that gets pretty damned expensive, though at last SOME of these expenses only apply to those with specific preferences. For instance, I needed a Zapper and Classic Controller but have no need for extra Wiimotes. So I spent about $310-$340 on the system, batteries and peripherals alone. Thankfully you don't need to buy peripherals right off the bat. Oh yeah, and how much does an XBox360 cost and what comes with that? Isn't that like $350 with just a controller?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2008-01-07 13:28 ]</font>

DizzyDi
Jan 7, 2008, 05:09 PM
Actually its 350 for a wireless controller, headset, and recharable battery. Thats if you don't know how to shop.
You could prolly get it for 350 +2 games if you looked around.

But yeah, I agree with Jife and Kizu. The Wii console itself is cheap, but you're gunna pay out the ass for peripherals. Especially since the Wii is the 'party console' you're def gunna want all those gadgets.

Firocket1690
Jan 7, 2008, 05:48 PM
Might I recommend this (http://www.nyko.com/nyko/products/?i=102) ?

Docks and charges, no additional weight.

Sord
Jan 7, 2008, 06:04 PM
the one advantage of having the pheripherals being where the money comes in though, is you don't have to throw all the money down right away to play something. You can get a Wii to start with and play some one-player games. Save for a bit, then buy another controller(s) so other people can play.

Shadowpawn
Jan 7, 2008, 06:13 PM
Yeah, it's not like you have to grab everything at once.

Shadow_Wing
Jan 7, 2008, 06:13 PM
In the end both 360 and Wii come down to the same price once you get them in the long run, still, PS3 is top for the most expensive one.

Wii though, right out of the box, is the cheapest one out of this generation. Though it does suffer a little from some games with high replay value, I blame the fact that there's still a lot of games out there still being developed for it and haven't reached the market, nor has everyone experimented with what the Wii has to offer. Anyways it's still pretty damn cheap, and the virtual console, in it's simplicity, is pretty much gold for the Wii.

And 250? It's like 220-230 up here now a days, cheaper than when I bought mine for 270 <<;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadow_Wing on 2008-01-07 15:16 ]</font>

Saner
Jan 7, 2008, 06:50 PM
well considering I can see myself only playing
Brawl, I would only have to get the 250 system,
and just 2-3 more gamecube controllers.

oh ya and the charger for wiimote.
and that's pretty much it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

actually I would only use the wiimote to start up
the game,
so 2 AA batteries could last as long
as a VCR remote would (about 6 mnths to a year.)

Dragwind
Jan 7, 2008, 10:29 PM
You could opt for those battery packs, a good investment. I use recharable batteries myself. Imo though, every console gets more expensive the more you put into it.

SubstanceD
Jan 8, 2008, 05:42 AM
On 2008-01-07 12:37, Saner wrote:
but the only great game is Brawl. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

hmmm. either that,

or maybe invest on a Saturn and Guardian Heroes..... which would
probably price for 150 since auctions are having good sales these
days.

hmmmm. but finding the 6 player adapter would be the tricky part.

I would also reccomend Super Mario Galaxy. This game is Awesome. One of the best games ever ( if not the best ). Others would reccomend Metroid Prime 3, in my opinion it is the weakest of the Prime games although I defenetly seem to be in the minority on this one.

Dek
Jan 8, 2008, 09:08 AM
Personally, I only got myself the system because I expected to play a lot games myself and if I was ever invited to a party, I knew I only had to bring my Wii Remote because my friends had a Wii as well (i.e. I didn't have to buy anything more).

As mentioned before, a lot of accessories are optional, but I might as well tell ya which ones to get and which ones to just stay away from at all costs (pun intended http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif )

SD Memory cards (http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802515): They really aren't needed, but they are a good idea only if you plan to bring a game to a party that your friends haven't picked up yet and you want to use all that hard work at the party. Simply drop the save file into the card and you're ready to go. Personally, I haven't had to use one as often as I thought I would. A few things though:
-Don't bother with the "Sandisk for Wii" brand cards. You're actually paying close to double the amount that their normal 1GB SD cards ($18 at Newegg.com)
-Some files cannot be copied (Pokemon Battle Revolution is the first one that comes to mind).

Wii Zapper (http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802783): Good god, don't even bother with this thing. I don't care if it comes with a Zelda game, even I'm not touching that game, and I'm pretty hardcore about Zelda. Besides, very few games are compatible with it (only 4 out of god knows how many Wii games).

LAN adapter (http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802615): One of the bigger features about the Wii (and the DS) is having a free online gaming service. The Wii will accept both Wired and Wireless signals (setup for these connections has you going into the Internet setup options). Get the LAN adapter ONLY if you don't have a useable wireless signal.

Classic Controller (http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802563): This is mostly for Virtual Console games, but some Wii games (NiGHTS and the DBZ games come into mind) allow you to use the Classic Controller as well. I'd say get it if...
-You plan to get Wii games that do take advantage of the Classic Controller (both NiGHTS and DBZ are really good)
-You plan to get games on the Virtual Console
-You don't have Gamecube controllers

Which brings me to the Controller (http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802561) itself: From what I've seen, many games only need the Controller and not the Controller + Nunchuk (those that do are either Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, or random FPS games). If you do plan to get more Nunchuk adapters, just get an extra one for Wii Sports' boxing (that's always fun)

A lot of people have suggested rechargable batteries. I say go for it, unless you have an assload of AA batteries (like I do).

Hope this helps

Getintothegame
Jan 8, 2008, 03:40 PM
LAN adapter: One of the bigger features about the Wii (and the DS) is having a free online gaming service. The Wii will accept both Wired and Wireless signals (setup for these connections has you going into the Internet setup options). Get the LAN adapter ONLY if you don't have a useable wireless signal.
I bought the LAN adapter due to an intermittant WiFi signal, and have never looked back. It almost feels like it's downloading at twice the speed, if not more. Just my two cents!

Classic Controller: This is mostly for Virtual Console games, but some Wii games (NiGHTS and the DBZ games come into mind) allow you to use the Classic Controller as well. I'd say get it if...
Also one of my favorite accessories. It works great!

A lot of people have suggested rechargable batteries. I say go for it, unless you have an assload of AA batteries (like I do).
I don't see how people are going through batteries so much with the Wiimote. I have personally only gone through maybe... 8 batteries since I've had the system! And that's with two Wiimotes!

Sord
Jan 8, 2008, 11:36 PM
On 2008-01-08 12:40, Getintothegame wrote:

LAN adapter: One of the bigger features about the Wii (and the DS) is having a free online gaming service. The Wii will accept both Wired and Wireless signals (setup for these connections has you going into the Internet setup options). Get the LAN adapter ONLY if you don't have a useable wireless signal.
I bought the LAN adapter due to an intermittant WiFi signal, and have never looked back. It almost feels like it's downloading at twice the speed, if not more. Just my two cents!

Classic Controller: This is mostly for Virtual Console games, but some Wii games (NiGHTS and the DBZ games come into mind) allow you to use the Classic Controller as well. I'd say get it if...
Also one of my favorite accessories. It works great!

I don't see how people are going through batteries so much with the Wiimote. I have personally only gone through maybe... 8 batteries since I've had the system! And that's with two Wiimotes!

You using a more name brand battery? A lot of people just buy those cheap 50 packs with crap batteries, in which case you will go through them quickly. Though if you are using a generic, I wanna know what generic ;o

ourrs go through batteries fairly quickly (then again, with a 6-7 person household the thing is almost always being played by somebody.)

Getintothegame
Jan 9, 2008, 03:59 PM
I use Kirkland brand batteries. You can get them at Costco... or, for many of you, that would be like a Sams Club or the like. They have a huge thing of batteries you can buy. Less than $10, too.

But those are the batteries I use. I don't really neglect my Wii, too. I play bowling and a few other games quite often, especially the Virtual Console games.

PALRAPPYS
Jan 9, 2008, 10:09 PM
lulz...

I finished Mario Galaxy with 110 stars and didn't waste out my battery pack. How are you running out? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Kent
Jan 10, 2008, 02:09 PM
The Wiimote is actually very power-efficient... No idea how it's eating through batteries for anyone, unless it's in constant, 24-hour use.

I use rechargable Energizer AA batteries, the same ones I use for my 360 controllers and other AA-powered gadgetry. They last as long as normal AAs, and recharge fully in 15 minutes on the charger, and unlike battery packs, they aren't limited to a single device.

And yes, in multiple ways, the Wii is the cheapest current-generation system. $250, and Nintendo is actually making profit from system sales, last I heard... Which is great compared to the 360 and PS3, which are costing Microsoft and Sony money per unit sold, mostly relying on software sales for moneys.

Monochrome
Jan 10, 2008, 09:32 PM
Saner, no matter how expensive it is, it's worth it for Mario Galaxy. Trust me. (I know you stated early on in the thread that you only want one for Brawl, but dam... ) That game has given me hope for the future of gamingkind. (........or maybe I'm a huge fanboy)