PDA

View Full Version : How come no one knows how to type in english anymore?

Guntz348
Jan 12, 2003, 08:42 PM
I've noticed a steady decline in the language that people use online in many games. I'm not just talking about people who use the software keyboard and and send messges that are hacked up and barley readable. I've seen so many freaking post on this board that are so damn uncomprehendable that I can't even tell what these people are talking about. There was a post that really got to me the other day. It was something about people calling a kid a duper or something but the whole post, about 6 or 7 lines of text, was all one long sentence. It had more spelling and grammer errors then I could count, and I had to read it three times before I could figure out what he was saying. since I know no one is willing to clean up what they submit, either they dont know english or they just dont care, I'd like to volunteer my services as a proof reader for the forums and new sections. I know I couldnt possibly edit all the post all of the time, but I really wouldnt mind cleaning up the boards especially the really bad ones where it appears that english is not the persons first language, or second or third or fourth... well you get the point.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Guntz348 on 2003-01-12 18:29 ]</font> hehe yes thank you Alielle, i fixed it

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Guntz348 on 2003-01-12 18:30 ]</font>

Alielle
Jan 12, 2003, 08:58 PM
I get what you're saying, but it's kind of ironic for you to say that when you have several spelling and capitalization errors in your post. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

With that out of the way, I agree with you, but I think it's a wasted effort. I've learned to ignore people that type illegibly. (Corollary: I've been replying to even less threads here. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif )

I also find it a huge waste that people with keyboards are still saying "lol" every other sentence and/or typing like monkeys.

Hand over your keyboards.
>Stupid wankers who suck at typing

Edit: Haha, I need to proofread my own damn posts.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alielle on 2003-01-12 18:00 ]</font>

Spy
Jan 12, 2003, 09:12 PM
Do you criticize the wrapping that covers your gifts? As long as you can get the message somebody is trying to send, do spelling and grammatical errors really matter? I think you need to answer that question first.

DeathCheese87
Jan 12, 2003, 09:26 PM
thats why i never use my shift key most of the time. i believe i can get the point across without it.

Eum
Jan 12, 2003, 09:29 PM
Then again, you can establish a wonderful, pompous facade like I, by typing as such.

Guntz348
Jan 12, 2003, 09:30 PM
This coming from the man who brought us the amazing interview with Yuji Naka, the biggest load of horse shit since Mr. Ed ate that box of Ex-Lax. Thank you Spy, do you even know what the hell you are saying?

[quote]Posted: 2003-01-12 18:12
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you criticize the wrapping that covers your gifts? As long as you can get the message somebody is trying to send, do spelling and grammatical errors really matter? I think you need to answer that question first.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Guntz348 on 2003-01-12 18:38 ]</font>

Spy
Jan 12, 2003, 09:42 PM
On 2003-01-12 18:30, Guntz348 wrote:

This coming from the man who brought us the amazing interview with Yuji Naka, the biggest load of horse shit since Mr. Ed ate that box of Ex-Lax. Thank you Spy, do you even know what the hell you are saying?

Where in my post did I answer the question that I posed? I know exactly what I'm saying at all times. I don't always spell my words correctly but I can make sentences that confuse people and have them make asses out of themselves as you so kindly demonstrated. Thanks! ^_^

PWNZED

Alielle
Jan 12, 2003, 09:54 PM
On 2003-01-12 18:12, Spy wrote:

It only bothers me when the "gifts" are something along the lines of "lol wtf omg stfu rofl r u g.hey shythead." ;_;

Guntz348
Jan 12, 2003, 09:54 PM
Actually the whole point is that you can't understand what people are saying. And as to the question you posed, the one about the gifts, that has nothing to do here. When someone gives you something you should appreciate it and take it with a thank you. When someone asks something of you, would'nt be nice if they put the 5 seconds of thought into making it a clear and understandable question. No you didnt confuse me at all you simply contridicted your self, you asked me a question then said that you never answered it, why answer a question you ask someone else? Oh and let me add, "PWNZED" thats a great shining example of the hieght of you little childish intelligence.

Spy
Jan 12, 2003, 10:02 PM
On 2003-01-12 18:54, Guntz348 wrote:
Actually the whole point is that you can't understand what people are saying. And as to the question you posed, the one about the gifts, that has nothing to do here.

XD I recommend you stop digging your hole any deeper, or PM me.

When someone gives you something you should appreciate it and take it with a thank you. When someone asks something of you, would'nt be nice if they put the 5 seconds of thought into making it a clear and understandable question. No you didnt confuse me at all you simply contridicted your self, you asked me a question then said that you never answered it, why answer a question you ask someone else?

You assume that my question was bourne from my belief that sentence structure, grammer, and in effect english itself does not matter. Just because I pose such a question does not mean that I agree with it. As for my contradiction, I fail to see your logic in terminology/vocabulary choice.

My question was merely food for your thought. I agree with you whole heartedly that the use of web-slang has gotten too far out of hand.

Oh and let me add, "PWNZED" thats a great shining example of the hieght of you little childish intelligence.

And you making such a statement proves your childish ability to interact with others, what is your point?

BizzaBizza
Jan 12, 2003, 11:05 PM
rofl omg stfu

what does a gift being enjoyable have anything to do with the compairison spy was making?? AT ALL

Guntz348
Jan 13, 2003, 12:25 AM
OK im not exactly sure how this turned into an arguement but at least you agree with me on the original intended point. That the whole internet lingo and the such has gotten out of hand. Now I can understand you saying something if all I did was complain about people and how they cant talk coherently, but thats not what I did. I stated a problem that was bothering me and offered a possible solution to it. I wasn't one of the people who just sit by and complain about how much they hate something and not make any attempt to change or correct it.
I'm really not sure how this turned into a fight or how I was looking a gift horse in the mouth. At least one person agreed with me, Alielle has said that he replyed to less threads now because of it, therefore its a problem with the site and i was simply trying to address it. I will give it to Spy, however, you've done exactly what everyone says that I should'nt do, and thats play right along to someone whos simply trying to get a rise out of me.

Spy
Jan 13, 2003, 12:41 AM
On 2003-01-12 21:25, Guntz348 wrote:
OK im not exactly sure how this turned into an arguement but at least you agree with me on the original intended point.

Flaming me for posting the link to Wata's PSOv4 interview was where it started for me, and I'd hardly call my obvious victory an "argument."

Now I can understand you saying something if all I did was complain about people and how they cant talk coherently, but thats not what I did. I stated a problem that was bothering me and offered a possible solution to it. I wasn't one of the people who just sit by and complain about how much they hate something and not make any attempt to change or correct it.

I never said anything one way or the other, I just asked a question o_o

I'm really not sure how this turned into a fight or how I was looking a gift horse in the mouth. At least one person agreed with me, Alielle has said that he replyed to less threads now because of it, therefore its a problem with the site and i was simply trying to address it.

Alielle is a chick, and a looker too, but that's probably besides the point.

I will give it to Spy, however, you've done exactly what everyone says that I should'nt do, and thats play right along to someone whos simply trying to get a rise out of me.

I don't know what you were playing into other than yourself O_O

FinalMasterM
Jan 13, 2003, 01:33 AM
Why is it that PSOW seems to draw the attention of newbies whom want to complain about stuff in a matter of months of them being here?

hollowtip
Jan 13, 2003, 01:38 AM
I don't see why you guys are always trying to belittle Spy. Just because he questions the popular opinion doesn't mean he is attacking your intelligence. I understand spy's analogy perfectly, don't see what's so complicated or confusing to comprehend.

Spy
Jan 13, 2003, 01:40 AM
On 2003-01-12 22:33, FinalMasterM wrote:
Why is it that PSOW seems to draw the attention of newbies whom want to complain about stuff in a matter of months of them being here?

They think the members here care... I guess.

Hahahaha, right. I'm seriously laughing here. Although it's not just the noobs bitching about everything, and it's not all noobs bitching either.

Spy
Jan 13, 2003, 01:42 AM
On 2003-01-12 22:38, hollowtip wrote:
I don't see why you guys are always trying to belittle Spy. Just because he questions the popular opinion doesn't mean he is attacking your intelligence. I understand spy's analogy perfectly, don't see what's so complicated or confusing to comprehend.

Thanks. Although they like to target me because I put a nice big target right on my ass. It's kinda like flies on shit; if that makes me shit, so be it.

CajunSamurai
Jan 13, 2003, 02:13 AM
Really, the only style of "e-bonics" that make me wanna nuke the internet back to the stoneage are those brutally retarded misspellings of 3 or 4 letter SIMPLE words such as...

wat (what)
tehy (they)
teh (the)
wut (what)

Sometimes, it's an honest typo, such as "teh" which has become an internet inside joke... but every time I see someone say "wut" or, several times worse, "WAT"... I don't get mad, I get stabby. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/twak.gif

Otherwise, I've gotten used to the form of "quick" internet speak, using "u" in place of "you" and such. If you can save some time using that style, I can see why so many use it in a realtime chat environment such as PSO. I opt to type out every letter even with the software keyboard, but that's just me.
On forums and such though? I don't see the need to save any time by typing with that method, as no one is waiting for a reply within seconds anyway. Doesn't really bother me, I'm jus' sayin'. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Guntz348
Jan 13, 2003, 01:11 PM
I really didn't set out to belittle spy or attempt to start a fight with him at all. I felt that i was more so being attacked. I do realize that i did jump the gun. You bested me, and addmited that, and my hat it off to you. But whatever, moving on and back to the topic and at hand reason why I posted this in the first place.

Now as far as a newbie complaining, I've been here since the DC days pal. The reason why my join date is so recent is becaue my original account here was with the screen name "Guntz". I had lost my PW and couldnt get it to reset right so I just made a new account. Furthermore I wasn't just complaining i saw a problem with the site and offered a solution that would make it more accecable and easier for others to use. I didn't just start runnin off about how, this guys can't type and learn english or get out of my country. Far from that indeed, I wanted to help to make the site a better place. Thats all. Now if you will excuse me I must return to my comic book store where I dispence the insults rather then absorb them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Guntz348 on 2003-01-13 10:11 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Guntz348 on 2003-01-13 10:20 ]</font>

Sapphire87
Jan 13, 2003, 08:16 PM
I don't mean to berate another message board but I left Gamefaqs after getting tired of seeing "dus anyone hab a labis cannon?" threads a million times. So, consider yourselves lucky. Some of the writing styles on Gamefaqs make this PSO board look like Meet the Press.

Spy
Jan 13, 2003, 09:37 PM
On 2003-01-13 17:16, Sapphire87 wrote:

Some of the writing styles on Gamefaqs make this PSO board look like Meet the Press.

I tak offense to that. I'd much rather be compared to some lamer than a politician any day.

Guntz348
Jan 13, 2003, 09:45 PM
On 2003-01-13 18:37, Spy wrote:

On 2003-01-13 17:16, Sapphire87 wrote:

Some of the writing styles on Gamefaqs make this PSO board look like Meet the Press.

I tak offense to that. I'd much rather be compared to some lamer than a politician any day.

Wow, I'd have to agree with you there spy!