PDA

View Full Version : Racist running for president ?

eXo
Jan 11, 2008, 01:48 PM
"I do repudiate everything that is written along those lines," he said, adding he wanted to "make sure everybody knew where I stood on this position because it's obviously wrong."

But that's not good enough, says one political veteran.

"These stories may be very old in Ron Paul's life, but they're very new to the American public and they deserve to be totally ventilated," said David Gergen, a CNN senior political analyst. "I must say I don't think there's an excuse in politics to have something go out under your name and say, 'Oh by the way, I didn't write that.'"

Paul, who is not considered a front-runner, has become an Internet phenomenon in the current race, raising tens of millions of dollars from a devoted online base, many of them young people drawn to his libertarian straight talk. See where the money is coming from »
Don't Miss
Ron Paul rakes in millions
CNN Election Center 2008

The controversial newsletters include rants against the Israeli lobby, gays, AIDS victims and Martin Luther King Jr. -- described as a "pro-Communist philanderer." One newsletter, from June 1992, right after the LA riots, says "order was only restored in L.A. when it came time for the blacks to pick up their welfare checks."

Another says, "The criminals who terrorize our cities -- in riots and on every non-riot day -- are not exclusively young black males, but they largely are. As children, they are trained to hate whites, to believe that white oppression is responsible for all black ills, to 'fight the power,' to steal and loot as much money from the white enemy as possible."

In some excerpts, the reader may be led to believe the words are indeed from Paul, a resident of Lake Jackson, Texas. In the "Ron Paul Political Report" from October 1992, the writer describes carjacking as the "hip-hop thing to do among the urban youth who play unsuspecting whites like pianos."

The author then offers advice from others on how to avoid being carjacked, including "an ex-cop I know," and says, "I frankly don't know what to make of such advice, but even in my little town of Lake Jackson, Texas, I've urged everyone in my family to know how to use a gun in self defense. For the animals are coming."

In his interview with CNN, Paul said that's language he would never use. "People who know me, nobody is going to believe this," he said. "That's just not my language. It's not my life."

He added, "Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, Ghandi, they're the heroes [of my life]."

Matt Welch, the editor-in-chief of "Reason" magazine who shares some of Paul's beliefs on big government, says he has never heard the congressman make racist comments like those in the newsletters.

"What I think some people are looking for him to do is to say, 'OK, who wrote that?' I mean, there's 20 years, give or take, worth of newsletters there," Welch said.

Paul said the editor of publications "is responsible for daily activities." But he also cited "transition" and "changes" and said that some people were hired to write stories "but I didn't know their names."

The presidential hopeful described the newsletter revelations as a "rehash" of old material dug up by his opponents because he is gaining ground with black voters due to his stance against the war in Iraq and the war on drugs.

"I am the anti-racist because I am the only candidate -- Republican or Democrat -- who would protect the minority against these vicious drug laws," he said.

"Libertarians are incapable of being a racist, because racism is a collectivist idea." E-mail to a friend

added original link

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/10/paul.newsletters/index.html

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: eXo on 2008-01-11 21:54 ]</font>

Solstis
Jan 11, 2008, 02:49 PM
Libertarians are apparently incapable of honesty, or recognizing potential faults among *any* members.

Funny that Ron Paul even pulled a variation of the "I have a Black friend" by name-dropping Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King (during his Wolf Blitzer interview).

ABDUR101
Jan 11, 2008, 02:54 PM
It'd be good if you'd start your post with an actual explanation of what you just copy/pasted, rather than tossing everyone into a copy/paste off some random website news article. Start the discussion, bring up points, give your opinion. You'll get more replies and people willing to reply.

"Racist running for president?" Not the first time, won't be the last. And really, how many politicians do you know that actually know the people they're lobbying for? Politicians are people who look at statistics and make decisions based on the majority; and guess what, the majority of people are imbeciles; ignorant and simple. People are easily swayed by five minute sensationalist news reports with very little factual evidence.

The best politician is the guy who has the balls to say "Fuck you, I don't want your votes if all you want of me is a political puppet to do your work. The only people I want to vote for me are the people who want ME to make fair decisions of equality for all, to not put any race or gender above the other."

But the reality is, we'll never have an honest, fair person as president. Someone who will judge everything on the weight of fairness and equality, and not the scales of "What will this part of the country think of me if I do this". Politics and highschool; same shit, different age group.

Sinue_v2
Jan 11, 2008, 05:32 PM
In all honesty, that's a rather minor issue considering the skeletons in the closet of most candidates - and it's just about the only dirt I've ever seen anyone dig up on Paul. It's rehashed beyond belief. The truth is, he probably does harbor some racist tendencies. Everybody does, to some degree. You can deny it, but you're just lying to yourself. The trick is to try to recognize it and rise above it.

I guantee that if you dug around long enough, you can find racist comments or support of racist policies in every single presidential candidates past - even Obama - that can be used to slander them.

When it comes right down to it - you're voting between varrying degrees of sons of bitches. So pick the son of a bitch who's policies most closely match your own personal convictions and desires for this country.

And whatever you do - don't fucking vote along party lines. Don't pass up a vote for someone you want because you might think they'd just end up a spoiler for the "second best" candidate and lead to a victory of a shithead you don't like. Vote for who YOU want. Too many people have fought and died for your right to vote, or to repay the debts to those who fought before them. Don't waste it. Even if you chose NOT to vote, that's a choice you are given through great sacrifice. The only way you can betray that sacrifice is if you vote for someone you don't like due to pressure from others, or bandwagoning with someone you don't like just to keep someone you don't like even more out.

ShinMaruku
Jan 11, 2008, 06:01 PM
party system is retarded the best guys never win. You think Ross Periot was talking shit?

DonRoyale
Jan 11, 2008, 08:09 PM
And this is why he won't make office. And when Barack does, we can slap the "ooh"s and "aah"s on YT and forget this silly, ignorant racist outburst ever happened.

Fuck racism, everyone's human when it boils down to it, the color of your skin denotes jack shit. I have a ton of black friends, some of whom act "whiter" than I do.

Oh, trained to "hate whites", all right. Meanwhile, they're not given the education to mature in society because they "aren't worth raising".

Don't get me started on how much I fucking hate racism, I'll never stop.

Just safe to say that this guy isn't Barack or Hilary, so nobody gives two shits about him. He didn't have a chance before, and he sure as hell doesn't now. >.>

Monochrome
Jan 11, 2008, 08:57 PM
What if this guy actually had the balls to (assuming he actually DID write these newsletters) just more or less say: "yeah, that's my platform." Or even "yeah, I wrote those things and felt that way, but I've grown and matured as a human being." Eh...whatever..

Go Obama!

Blitzkommando
Jan 11, 2008, 10:04 PM
E-mail to a friend

Wait, wait, wait. You come here, post a long article (with no sources for its quotes) and then it turns out to be e-mail spam and expect people to comment on what the article says? Whether or not Paul is or isn't my choice isn't why I give this zero credibility. What I want are sources for all the mudslinging because doing a bunch of "He said, she said" is hardly the basis for making an intelligent and informed decision in an election.

Shadowpawn
Jan 11, 2008, 10:40 PM
Looks like someone finally caught that.

Solstis
Jan 11, 2008, 10:55 PM
It actually did happen, I saw it on CNN.

Problem is, OP didn't link to the original document, but it's not just some spam.

I can't post that link? Weird.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2008-01-11 22:48 ]</font>

eXo
Jan 12, 2008, 12:55 AM
On 2008-01-11 19:04, Norvekh wrote:

E-mail to a friend

Wait, wait, wait. You come here, post a long article (with no sources for its quotes) and then it turns out to be e-mail spam and expect people to comment on what the article says? Whether or not Paul is or isn't my choice isn't why I give this zero credibility. What I want are sources for all the mudslinging because doing a bunch of "He said, she said" is hardly the basis for making an intelligent and informed decision in an election.

Will this satisfy you

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/10/paul.newsletters/index.html

eXo
Jan 12, 2008, 12:59 AM
On 2008-01-11 11:54, ABDUR101 wrote:
It'd be good if you'd start your post with an actual explanation of what you just copy/pasted, rather than tossing everyone into a copy/paste off some random website news article.Start the discussion, bring up points, give your opinion. You'll get more replies and people willing to reply.

that would be nice if i actually wanted to discuss this topic, it has served it's purpose that was tell others what happened.

Dangerous55
Jan 12, 2008, 09:08 PM
I hope Paul wins, he won't, but I hope he does. He is shooting in the right direction(not the black stuff, I doubt he believes or would act on any of that).