PDA

View Full Version : what's the most fun attack style for games? hand to hand, w

Saner
Jan 11, 2008, 04:31 PM
I dunno I think hand to hand has some potential cause there seems to be more technique involved.
And lots of great impacts, especially for the
advanced expressions of this style of combat.
but ya so few games have done a good job in this category, outside of fighting games.

weapon melee (swords, clubs, etc.) is pretty interesting too. but I dunno sometimes it seems somewhat limited.

magic as a main use is a rarity and I think its full potential has yet to be unlocked cause most games mix weapons with magic. but what if there was one that like used magic in innovative ways without depending on MP pools or tools that substitute or channel its usage?

well guns are in a lot of games, but ya they don't
feel that great, well ya they feel powerful and stuff, but ya, differences are pretty minimal in how they are used pretty much. Ranged weapons in general have that poking from a distance approach, even bows, but ya, while they are essential in some games, maybe the best games focus on something else.
but the main thing behind guns is that people like to blow things up, so that's another reason why they're popular but I dunno it depends on the theme people are after.

but ya, a game can offer all of these at once, but I think that a game that's exclusive to one style, may benefit more, depending on the theme and focus on the whole concept that encompasses the style.

hellojo
Jan 11, 2008, 04:57 PM
I think it more depends on the person and what they like

Sinue_v2
Jan 11, 2008, 05:15 PM
I prefer stealth and magic. Theif/Mages, generally, with a emphesis on ranged ambush combat - bows and throwing knives. High agility is a must, and close-ranged dual wield weapons are nice so long as the character's speed is high enough to compensate for the lower damage.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2008-01-11 14:17 ]</font>

ShinMaruku
Jan 11, 2008, 06:09 PM
Mage/warrior or in the Warhammer 40K uiniverse the seer path of desruction.
Mages appeal to me because bending forces to your will and making them work for you for massive damage.
The Warrior thing comes from relics and weapons that bestow great power, such as Sparda (DMC universe) The Warp Sword (Warhammer),The Blades of Vaul (Warhammer 40K).
These thing increase your physical ablities beyond what normal folk can do.
Mainly Mage though because of how it shows the will to destruction.

Split
Jan 11, 2008, 06:58 PM
cqc or other realistic, throw oriented type styles interest me more than anything

Saner
Jan 11, 2008, 07:09 PM
cool! ya! the styles offer stuff for everyone! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

DonRoyale
Jan 11, 2008, 07:55 PM
I personally like using magic. If I'm doing wtfbignumbarz, I'd rather they be really flashy, pretty-looking numbars, and not straight up "lolihitu" numbarz.

Excuse my terrible grammar with that...

But I've always found magic had a visual appeal that drew me in, so it's been the style I prefer. :>

Mwabwetumba
Jan 11, 2008, 07:57 PM
Armed close quarters combat all the way. The greater numbers, the better!

Monochrome
Jan 11, 2008, 09:00 PM
Whatever the game, if I'm swinging a big sword that weighs more than my character and hits multiple enemies, I'm a happy camper.

Ketchup345
Jan 12, 2008, 01:25 AM
If it doesn't require going out of the way to do, magic is probably my favorite. Some games make magic it too tough to use full time though, such as some of the Final Fantasy games (high cost spells, usually no auto MP regen, Ethers are either rare or expensive). If MP potions or auto regen are usable, odds are I'll be a caster with my primary character.

If casting is too difficult, I'll probably choose a ranged character.

Kent
Jan 12, 2008, 04:11 AM
While they all have their virtues (which makes it really tough for me to stand specializing), if I did have to specialize in something in a game, it'd most likely be hand-to-hand combat.

Of course, for me, personally... My favorite type of combat is hybridization of the various types - at least between two. I'll substitute magic for ranged combat easily.

Sharkyland
Jan 12, 2008, 06:30 AM
1) Depends on the game and what it offers.
- If there are no magic or melee weapons I can use, I guess I'm stuck with ranged weapons. But if you are given to have fun with the environment as possible, all weapons are good to an extent.

2) The difficulty of each weapon used.
- Is it easier to swing my sword at the enemy, cast magic, or shoot from a distance with the gameplay controller I'm using. Usually using a range weapon has a good chance of making me fall asleep faster.

3) Whatever is available at the current time.
- Starting at level 1 usually doesn't grant me to using all types of weapons.

---

But in the context of PSU, I tend to be more of a melee/magic user though I'm just kinda disappointed that only a certain number of things are targeted while the rest are left alone. (i.e. In a group of seven enemies, why am I only hitting 3 with rafoie?)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sharkyland on 2008-01-12 03:34 ]</font>

GreenArcher
Jan 12, 2008, 09:56 AM
I tend to stay away from melee based combat, because nine times out of ten that's the easiest to be good at

Shiro_Ryuu
Jan 12, 2008, 10:33 AM
I like to either slash things up into pieces or beat the crap out of them. Maybe I might like some of the occasional magic at times too.

ShinMaruku
Jan 12, 2008, 03:14 PM
Turn people into sheep rocks. XD

Scrub
Jan 12, 2008, 03:56 PM
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/5636/thespynr5.jpg

The Spy is basically the manifestation of everything I love to do in a game. Knife? Check. Cloak? Check. Disguises? Check. Revolver? Check.

Really, I love to sneak around behind enemy lines undetected. In TF2 I usually only disguise myself as an enemy spy so Turrets wont shoot at me. Everybody in the server I play at knows that I'm going to be a disguised spy, and they always shoot any friendly spies they see. I still manage to backstab a bunch of them, because they don't see me in the first place.

I do a lot of sneaking in every game I play, even if it isn't really part of the game. Hell, 75% of my kills in Call of Duty 4 are Knife Kills, and I would land a lot of them in Counter-Strike and the like too. Sure, in WoW my main was a Priest, but I'll be damned if I didn't have the most fun when I was playing on my Rogue.

I love me some sneakan gaems.

Tact
Jan 12, 2008, 04:33 PM
Let's see. I don't like to be in the fray, so I prefer magic (WoW 70 Mage here). But I kind of agree with Scrub, it's much more fun to watch melee combat. Fistfights are very enjoyable as well as simply beating somebody with your gun.

BlaizeYES
Jan 12, 2008, 06:24 PM
On 2008-01-11 15:58, Split wrote:
cqc or other realistic, throw oriented type styles interest me more than anything

CQC YES. MGS 3

what i loved about it is that as easy as it is to take someone down, you cant run into a room with 10 guys on a hard difficulty and expect to come out alive. 4 guys in a room is still no problem... so it wasnt completely balanced. i'm buying a ps3 just for metal gear solid 4 anyways so i'll see how it plays out with the new cqc system

Kylie
Jan 12, 2008, 06:40 PM
Well, depends on the game.

Resident Evil / Silent Hill - ranged

Final Fantasy - magic

PSU - melee

Sgt_Shligger
Jan 16, 2008, 07:58 PM
I like having a mix ranged and melee combat, maybe with some tactical abilities like traps or barriers on the side. I'll avoid any type of damaging magic if it's slow though I will welcome any healing or status curing abilities. I will not tolerate any sort of buff.

The character's I like to make are the jack-of-trades or generalist types: Good at everything, great at nothing. I'll take versatility over power any day. I like to be prepared for any situation, even if I may or may not be the best person at the job I can still do it.

amtalx
Jan 16, 2008, 08:36 PM
They put the dumb kids on the front lines for a reason. Magic and ranged all the way.

Jife_Jifremok
Jan 17, 2008, 04:24 AM
I like to combine magic and swords, or guns and swords/pistolwhipping. But the degree to which I use them depends almost entirely on game mechanics. Like, if ammo/MP conservation's a big issue I use more melee. If magic spells are OMGWTFPWNSAUCE on the lines of King's Field or something, I go heaivly on magic. But my favorite way to do things is to mix the swords and the magic or guns. And what if a game has all three? OH FUCK YES I want them all! Oh, and stealth? I'm not a big fan of it, though I do like to sneak around and kill enemies undetected when I can...which isn't very often because I suck at it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif It's just to even the odds a bit if I don't know what I'm up against.

Xefi
Jan 17, 2008, 02:43 PM
i like playing with sword fighting games. Sword fighting is my types of game. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Sexy_Raine
Jan 17, 2008, 03:05 PM
It depends on the game really.

In a FPS, it will most likely be Ranged

In a game like Super Smash, I prefer getting close and beating the crap out of my opponent

In an RPG type game, I prefer magic, usually.

Mewnie
Jan 18, 2008, 02:04 PM
CRPGs: it depends, in parties, I like having a mix. Melee, gish (melee and magic) and support being big on my priorities. If only one character, like Oblivion, I like to dabble with everything, although I prefer melee, supplemented by magic.

MMOs: Largely melee, although PSU has made being a caster a bit more fun. Playing a dedicated healer puts me to sleep though. I could never play a cleric in EQ
or Priest in WoW.

PnP: Tome of Battle, baby.

rogue_robot
Jan 18, 2008, 09:04 PM
Huge fan of magic, myself, though I hate being limited by archetypes (even PSU is guilty of this with the way you cannot - no matter what - be an "oddball" for your race, with non-stereotypical stats).

On the rare instance I play D&D, for instance, I typically play an elf sorcerer with most all points thrown into Str/Dex/Cha. I get good (and flexible) magic, plus on the off chance I'm running out of magic or the enemy is just not in a good spot to target with spells, I'm no chump with my sword or bow - I just have to rely on the tanks soaking up an even greater portion of the damage.

Overall, though, with perfect freedom of choice, I would develop mostly magic, using it as my mainstay, but with some weapon skills on the side (I positively love the fact that Mass Effect gives Adepts - the all-out mage class - the ability to raise proficiency with Pistols equal to the same max with Pistols that the all-out warrior, Soldier, gets).