PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 Ideas v02.28.01

ninvampire
Feb 28, 2001, 07:14 PM
Here's the link:
http://www.nevikdreams.com/PSO2

I am really excited about this revision. Got some really good last-minute ideas to make this revision more substantial other than the huge graphical face-lift I gave the list. The list is now a fully functional web page.

I optimized the site for MSIE 4+, so all you Netscape users will not see the site as perfectly. (What happened Netscape? Communicator is a piece of trash)

Once again, out of the two forums I'm pulling from, this forum provided me with a lot more feedback. Congrats! =)

If I missed anyone's idea(s) in this version, and you want to make sure I remember to include it in the next one, toss me an email.

ninvampire
Feb 28, 2001, 09:03 PM
Bump.

Oronis
Feb 28, 2001, 09:51 PM
I'd like to see Motavians and Dezorians as playable races.

http://freepages.ugo.com/Eclipsis/files/dezori1.gifDezorian</a>

http://freepages.ugo.com/Eclipsis/files/efarmer1.gifMotavian</a>

Bman
Feb 28, 2001, 10:02 PM
In addition to the translucent chat bubbles, you should add a note that text wrapping needs to be fixed. e.g.:

"Yeah, we just slaught
ered Dark Falz"

It would be a good idea to assemble the list back into a single document. The links on the left side should just move to anchors within it. There's a gigantic amount of clicking involved just to browse the list now. It would be simpler and faster to hit page down until I see some green or yellow text.

At the very least, the category names should indicate whether they have any changes to look at. For example, "Storyline Elements" and "Items" haven't changed at all, but there's no way to know that without opening them up.

ninvampire
Feb 28, 2001, 10:19 PM
Duly noted.

I will include the ability to see the entire list without having to click through menus. EDIT: I split the list up into individual items so that each idea could be elaborated upon in a cleaner manner.

And I just hacked the javascript I borrowed to include the ability to highlight the section headers for easy reference as to what changes have been made.

All of this will be reflected in v03.02.01

NEVI549 Level 54 RAcaseal (Yellowboze)

Krystalyn Level 5 HUnewearl (Oran)

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: ninvampire on 2001-02-28 19:26 ]</font>

Natasha
Feb 28, 2001, 10:32 PM
Well, taking a look at the race specific abilities, the numan TP regeneration sound a little too 'powerfull' for a race that is currently pretty well balanced compared to humans. Humans would need some form of advantage as well... And the weapon proficiency advantage for androids still doesn't sound like it would offset the disadvantage of no techniques...

In the current game, the 'droids are supposed to have a little stat advantage, and its pretty obvious that it doesn't make up for the lack of techs. Learning weapon proficiencies a little faster seems like yet another stat advantage that probably wouldn't balance out with the disadvantage of no techniques(unless the 'droids are allowed to get a *lot* more benefit from the proficiencies than non-'droids, and not hit some max that makes them useless after a certain level).

Androids need something that gives them similar advantages to techniques, but work differently enough that they maintain a different flavor.

If anyone played PS4, the androids in that game had special 'units' they could install to gain access to more special abilities that each had a limited number of uses...

Something similar to that might be interesting.

Each android has, lets say three 'slots' in there body. Special units that can be installed(only in the city... you'd need heavy equipment to install this stuff, and it just gives it a different feel from techniques... ) and they allow access to special attacks/abilities... There'd be a limited number of uses of course, and maybe even some form of 'energy cell' to recharge... You'd have to make sure that the effects of techniques and these units don't overlap too much, or else they'd be too similar but it could work and make up for the androids current 'Well, are stats are a little better until we hit the max stats wall' situation.

DCKaz
Mar 1, 2001, 02:05 AM
Yeah I'm still kind of a fan of Androids *only* have weapon specialization and forces *only* have technique specialization. The hybrids get to dance in both worlds, but there's a loss for the price of that power.

I wouldn't go further with newmen TP regen though.. heck most jump to newmen as it is for forces, I don't see the FOmarl as having any advantage (as it is, she'll never get the same use of trifluids the newmen will).

my two cents

DCKaz

Mrgrfx
Mar 1, 2001, 02:30 AM
Androids are cool now, but how about attachments that allow them to do other things, (specified techniques) I think someone said this before, but something similar to other games, where you could attach a back attack attachment, or a shoulder firing apparatus.

Also, how about allowing users to update their costumes and names of characters instead of starting over.

ninvampire
Mar 1, 2001, 06:47 PM
DCKaz, indeed I understand your concern with balance and I've made some additions to the list that will probably sit a lot better with you on this subject. Your feedback is always very welcomed and I've always had your concern in the back of my head when I think up of ways to not only make every race more dynamic and complex, but to keep them balanced.

If you want, we could possibly work together on this and I can give you better glimpses on what I've come up with and not have you wait until the latest version comes out to give me your feedback. Shoot me off an <a href=mailto:[email protected]>email</a> if this sounds agreeable to you.

Neinth
Mar 1, 2001, 07:16 PM
What are the plans for this list when it's completed? I think i remember something about submitting it to the developers so maybe they will use some of the ideas.
If so then it needs to be submitted soon.
To whom are you planning on submitting it to?

ninvampire
Mar 1, 2001, 07:31 PM
Well I don't have the contacts personally, but I do have quite a few friends in the industry that will help me in directing everything to the appropriate people.

So fear not, this list will be seen by Sega.

myau1
Mar 1, 2001, 07:46 PM
A story, an ending and a reason to keep playing. I love this game but I really want it to be more like the other Phantasy Star games. Just add those elements in to what they already have, with the obvious bug fixes, and you could have the greatest game ever in PSO 2. Where is my Land Rover, or Espers? hmmmm.

Mrgrfx
Mar 2, 2001, 02:46 AM
Just wanted to say good luck. I can remember when a game (any game) came out and I wrote up a design doc on how to improve the game with this or that and of course nothing ever comes to fruition. If you get heard, let us know how you did it, (I guess we are sort seeing now). Once again, good luck I'll be hoping for some of those changes.

--where's the ending??

Eugirdor
Mar 2, 2001, 02:57 AM
I would like to submit an idea for "Character Death". Instead of losing EXP points when you die, I suggest adding EXP to the amount needed to go up another level (sounds the same, I know, read on). Additionally the amount of EXP needed to go up a level should (if it's not already) be based on the amount that was needed for the last level up (for example, it could double for each level). This would make it so the more you die, the longer it would take for you to level up, not only to the next level, but to all other levels. Thus giving a real disadvantage to dying.

[addsig]

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Eugirdor on 2001-03-01 23:58 ]</font>

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Eugirdor on 2001-03-01 23:59 ]</font>

Mrgrfx
Mar 2, 2001, 04:45 AM
I don't particularly like the idea of losing expeirence at all. I do like the idea of losing my weapons and definitely my money. Why? Well, those are distinct disadvantages to dying, getting looted. Also, while not likely to happen, there is a scenario that could conceivably happen by losing expeirence for dying. As in the ole' trap, or loop or recursive function, whatever... it goes like this, you're stuck..... you need another level up, to get past a certain point where you are stuck, however, you keep dying.. Anyone ever saved on a game and couldn't get back out of the dungeon, and couldn't level up enough to defeat anything?? I think you know what I am saying...

ninvampire
Mar 2, 2001, 07:11 PM
MrgrFx: Well the ole' trap of old isn't exactly applicable to an online 'RPG' considering at any given moment you can quit your game and start a new one and make your way back to that area.

Perhaps your concern is more aimed at if the storyline takes top-seat over everything else and the game becomes extremely linear (something that just isn't really feasible for an online RPG)

I do feel the storyline could have been a little more "in-your face" in PSO ... and hopefully instead of just a mish-mash of quests and scattered "story-units" there will actually be events in which everyone can take a part in.

And now in regards to the EXP loss as a result of death (in hard/vhard) I feel that losing a weapon and your meseta are not across-the-board penalties. A force can die with impunity if they're not carrying any weapon. It's even gone as far as forces dying on purpose to have someone revive them for a free TP restore. This is something I want to see prevented, if you lost EXP for dying then you'd never want to die, even if partying with friends. I mean, if I die while playing with my friends in PSO, I don't sweat it at all because I know I'm going to get my weapon and meseta (if I have any on me) back.

That means there's no penalty and really no challenge to PSO. "So what if I charge ahead without regard for my safety? The worst that can happen is that I won't contribute til I get revived." I want this mentality to be eliminated in the sequel.

I want challenge, I want to truly worry about dying. This would further bring players together to make sure that they cover each-other's backs while progressing through the higher difficulties. Is this not diserable? *sigh*

Benn
Mar 2, 2001, 08:26 PM
I think it will be cool to have players kill each other... or.. battle each other.. of course not any time....
players can issue challenges to other players.. and winner can get an item or something..
i don't care.. but it will awesome if players can battle each other... hehe..