PDA

View Full Version : BIOS question

DLShAdOw
Jan 15, 2008, 07:24 PM
My BIOS has no option to boot from USB. I'm trying to find a way to boot from by external hard drive that I cloned my internal to, but if my BIOS doesn't support it, I don't think it's possible. Is there any way to boot from the hard drive? This also poses a problem because if I am trying to access the drive from a boot CD, the utilities on the cd can't find the drive because the computer doesn't really know it's there until XP sees it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DLShAdOw on 2008-01-15 16:25 ]</font>

Ketchup345
Jan 15, 2008, 08:16 PM
Have you checked for a BIOS update? Check the motherboard manufacturer's website for that.

CelestialBlade
Jan 18, 2008, 08:31 AM
If you've never flashed your BIOS since buying your motherboard, it could potentially be very outdated (often when you buy a motherboard, the BIOS is nowhere near the latest version, in my experience). Check for the latest version and see if it broadens your options any.

Blitzkommando
Jan 18, 2008, 03:19 PM
You could also tell us the model of motherboard and it would simply be a matter of reading the manual to see if the board supports USB booting. Alternatively, you could do that without having someone else read it and tell you.