PDA

View Full Version : Cloverfield

VioletSkye
Jan 17, 2008, 09:28 PM
Just got done seeing it (I know it isn't officially released until tomorrow.) Anyway, it was better than I expected and the monster looked ok.

BTW, about the monster:
[spoiler-box]It is NOT the whale looking thing that has been circulating the interwebs, nor does it look like the green monster model that has also been on the web. Repeat the monster does NOT!!! look like either of these images:
wayangtopia.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/cloverfield-monster-picture.jpg
media.movieweb.com/news/01.2008/monster.jpg[/spoiler-box]

[spoiler-box]Yes, there are parasites in the movie but they don't look like the parasite images in the whale looking pic of the monster.[/spoiler-box]

Retehi
Jan 17, 2008, 10:21 PM
I'll catch it tomorrow night for sure, been waiting for this film for almost half a year, haha.

Sinue_v2
Jan 17, 2008, 10:29 PM
I've heard very little about the movie - but what I saw/heard leads me to believe that the monster is some Chtuluian elder-god monstrosity that has awoken.

True or False?

GreenArcher
Jan 17, 2008, 10:46 PM
I'm going to see this tomorrow night as well http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Sexy_Raine
Jan 17, 2008, 10:58 PM
I going to see it too. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Moo2u
Jan 17, 2008, 11:01 PM
Didn't click the spoilers. I don't have plans to see it yet, but I want to eventually.

VioletSkye
Jan 17, 2008, 11:04 PM
On 2008-01-17 19:29, Sinue_v2 wrote:
I've heard very little about the movie - but what I saw/heard leads me to believe that the monster is some Chtuluian elder-god monstrosity that has awoken.

True or False?

Heh, I'm not sure how to answer. I'm not at all knowledgeable about Chtuluian mythos (or whatever you would call it) so I'm not even sure what that means lol. I can tell you this however: [spoiler-box]the movie neither says what the creature is nor does it mention anything about it's origin, where it came from or why it's attacking.[/spoiler-box]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2008-01-17 20:36 ]</font>

Monochrome
Jan 17, 2008, 11:51 PM
Looking forward to seeing it tomorrow night. Hope I don't get a headache from all the "shaky cam running like hell" shots.

Eihwaz
Jan 18, 2008, 01:07 AM
Oh man, do I want to see this movie!

I don't know if I'll be able to go see it tomorrow, but I will go see it this weekend for sure if I don't get a chance to get to the theater tomorrow.

Anduril
Jan 18, 2008, 02:29 AM
I want to go see this, but I'm one of those people who can't watch horror/thrillers at night, so I'll probably hold off until Monday and go watch it in the morning.

Sord
Jan 18, 2008, 02:50 AM
I really wanna go see this. Been reading a few reviews here and there. Quite a few incidents of motion sickness, people leaving the theatre because of it, and even a few vomits. However, I've never suffered from motion sickness, so I doubt it will do much to me. Apparently I shouldn't expect to much story but just lots of visuals and actions. Don't care to much though, considering a lot of movies people claim have good stories I still find to be a complete bore and not worth my time.

SubstanceD
Jan 18, 2008, 05:11 AM
I've been waiting to see this film ever since I saw the first trailor during the "Transformers" premier. I saw a more recent trailor the other day at the when I went to see "I am Legend" and it is still looking good. I've been trying to avoid spoilers ( it's actually very easy since I don't have broadband and I can't download trailors off the web ) but somewhere down the line this went from being an Untitled movie where noone knew what was happening to New York to movie called Cloverfield about a Monster attack. Still looking good.

NPCMook
Jan 18, 2008, 05:45 AM
I was paid to watch this movie, and I considered it a fucking waste of my time!

[spoiler-box]No the monster doesn't look like a chuthlu-esque being at all[/spoiler-box]

Shadowpawn
Jan 18, 2008, 11:26 PM
I don't think anyone can see the monster from the film.

DekaoTheRAmar
Jan 18, 2008, 11:43 PM
At first i thought it was gonna be another Godzilla movie. Seeing as how in the Trailer during Transformers all you saw was a dude going to Japan (notorious for Godzilla) and the Statue of Liberty's head come flying (also a thing Godzilla would do) and then it faded out.

It wasn't until recently i learned it is not a Godzilla movie. And that it's actually, in my way of looking at it, a FPS movie. If you think about it you're seeing what happens through the eyes of a dude just like in an FPS you go where the camera takes you. Although for a Handy-Cam i'm surprised it's battery lasted as long as it did. I wish my camera lasted that long ;~;

at any rate i am looking forward to seeing this movie. My theater sold out when i got off work today. I was angry. But i bought tickets for tomorrow. So everything is OK!

Shattered_weasel
Jan 19, 2008, 12:44 AM
Great movie. Typical JJ Abrams writing so be ready for that.

Powder Keg
Jan 19, 2008, 02:06 AM
I thought it sucked.

[spoiler-box]Nothing is explained at all, and there's really no conclusion to the plot, it just....ends. If I wanted things to be left for imagination, I'd make my own story instead of paying 9 bucks to see trash and get a headache from the camera.[/spoiler-box]

Mewnie
Jan 19, 2008, 02:10 AM
On 2008-01-17 20:04, VioletSkye wrote:

Heh, I'm not sure how to answer. I'm not at all knowledgeable about Chtuluian mythos (or whatever you would call it) so I'm not even sure what that means lol. I can tell you this however: [spoiler-box]the movie neither says what the creature is nor does it mention anything about it's origin, where it came from or why it's attacking.[/spoiler-box]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2008-01-17 20:36 ]</font>

slight derail: HPL library (http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/) Good readings :3 Although anyone raised on the crap horror movies these days will see some of the plot twists a mile away.

Retehi
Jan 19, 2008, 03:41 AM
Meh, talk about being disappointed. I love J.J., but this definitely wasn't his best work.

Monster kicked ass though, for the times you could catch it.

ljkkjlcm9
Jan 19, 2008, 09:33 AM
Blair Witch meets Godzilla

Basically the idea is, you know what they know... and that's all you know. So basically, you know nothing.

THE JACKEL

DekaoTheRAmar
Jan 19, 2008, 09:52 PM
I saw the movie today. Despite the horrible headache i got from it. I was throughly confused. The premise for the movie was awesome. Blair-witch style shooting, top secret production, a few glimpses of the monster.

Although i am still confused on where the monsters came from.

If you look, at the end of the movie when they're on the Ferris Wheel, you see something fall from the sky and fall into the water unnoticed which leads me to believe the thing came from space.

I hope they make a 2nd one. There's like 50 bajillion ways to make a sequel.

VioletSkye
Jan 19, 2008, 10:42 PM
On 2008-01-19 18:52, DekaoTheRAmar wrote:
I saw the movie today. Despite the horrible headache i got from it. I was throughly confused. The premise for the movie was awesome. Blair-witch style shooting, top secret production, a few glimpses of the monster.

Although i am still confused on where the monsters came from.

If you look, at the end of the movie when they're on the Ferris Wheel, you see something fall from the sky and fall into the water unnoticed which leads me to believe the thing came from space.

I hope they make a 2nd one. There's like 50 bajillion ways to make a sequel.

I have read that the object falling from the sky was the Japanese satellite that was mentioned to have fallen from the sky on one of the viral marketing sites.

Monochrome
Jan 19, 2008, 11:06 PM
The more I think about it, the more I love it! Yeah it's got it's shifty moments of 'yea-right!'edness, but overall I don't think a movie done in this style could have been done much better. The cg also looked great, aside from the statue of liberty head. I could really get that sense of panic, it held me through the whole film. I believe that was the main intention of this film, not to tell a story, but to provide that "9/11" style "i dont know what's going on but crazy horrible stuff is happening--run!!!" fear. To that end it was effective. Also, despite the pretty boys and girls with their vapid 20-something tendencies, I genuinely cared about most of the cast and got into their backstory.

"I don't feel so good..."

Me personally, I had no problems with headaches or motion sickness.

And I love how weird the monster looked.

edit: ok i wasn't the first to love it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Monochrome on 2008-01-19 20:07 ]</font>

-Crokar-
Jan 20, 2008, 12:07 AM
when the stuff fell off the monster and was alive reminded me too much of final fantasy X and it was pretty boring. and the ending was stupid as hell. hey lets fly the hellicopter right where the monster is, we wont die. to stupid for me

Shattered_weasel
Jan 20, 2008, 02:52 PM
On 2008-01-19 21:07, -Crokar- wrote:
when the stuff fell off the monster and was alive reminded me too much of final fantasy X and it was pretty boring. and the ending was stupid as hell. hey lets fly the hellicopter right where the monster is, we wont die. to stupid for me

It's not like they couldn't fly anywhere else seeing as how when they took off it was right next to them.

CupOfCoffee
Jan 20, 2008, 06:21 PM
I thought it was pretty well made, but it suffered from the typical horror movie problem of it being impossible to give a crap about any of the characters. I didn't mind the camera and the script was pretty realistic and good, and I was even able to overlook the constant feeling of "yeah right, they wouldn't still be carrying that stupid camera with them and videotaping all their emotionally charged moments," and I think overall it was pretty good. Not entirely believable, which is a bit of a shame because that's clearly what they were going for above all else. But pretty watchable. But not really worth buying. But decent.

7/10? Yeah. 7ish.

-Crokar-
Jan 20, 2008, 06:28 PM
of corse they could of. they could have flown the opposite direction.

NPCMook
Jan 20, 2008, 06:44 PM
On 2008-01-20 11:52, Shattered_weasel wrote:

It's not like they couldn't fly anywhere else seeing as how when they took off it was right next to them.

[spoiler-box] oh yes they could, in the immediate opposite direction of the monster, instead their pilot chose to fly a circle around him [/spoiler-box]

Dangerous55
Jan 20, 2008, 11:40 PM
It was fun, I'll give it that. The camera was more annoying to me, it didn't make me sick. I was expecting the crew to take some weaponry after they ran into the soldiers, but it didn't happen. :/

Shattered_weasel
Jan 20, 2008, 11:58 PM
On 2008-01-20 15:44, NPCMook wrote:

[spoiler-box] oh yes they could, in the immediate opposite direction of the monster, instead their pilot chose to fly a circle around him [/spoiler-box]

He did fly in the immediate opposite direction of them. It just happens to take the monster one step to get right back under them.

On 2008-01-20 20:40, Dangerous55 wrote:
It was fun, I'll give it that. The camera was more annoying to me, it didn't make me sick. I was expecting the crew to take some weaponry after they ran into the soldiers, but it didn't happen. :/

I don't think they are just going to hand out weaponry to civilians.

Eihwaz
Jan 22, 2008, 03:33 AM
I enjoyed it quite a lot, and I clearly need to go see it again, as I missed some little details (the thing falling into the water at the end, and the stuff after the credits). I'd like to go see it in theaters again, and I will probably pick it on DVD at some point, as well.

NPCMook
Jan 22, 2008, 04:59 AM
On 2008-01-20 20:58, Shattered_weasel wrote:

On 2008-01-20 15:44, NPCMook wrote:

He did fly in the immediate opposite direction of them. It just happens to take the monster one step to get right back under them.

On 2008-01-20 20:40, Dangerous55 wrote:

I don't think they are just going to hand out weaponry to civilians.

No, if you watch how they look at the monster they were clearly flying around the monster.

Also, His point wasn't that the military wasn't arming people, his point was that they didn't pick up any of the weapons from the soldiers who got owned. They may have not been able to properly handle the weapons, but at least then they would have been armed.

Dragwind
Jan 22, 2008, 06:30 AM
This movie is still boggling me. Finally saw it last night and my cousin and I were pretty WTF.

It sure was interesting seeing the movie through a shaky cam experience. I think they did a great job of giving you the feeling of what it would be like to experience all that first hand.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jan 22, 2008, 07:19 AM
Yeah, same here. I'm a big fan of Godzilla movies and such, and I thought it was pretty interesting to know what goes on in those movies in the perspective of those who are in the attack, unlike the Godzilla movies in which the main human characters always have plot armor.

CherryLunar
Jan 22, 2008, 12:31 PM
On 2008-01-22 00:33, Eihwaz wrote:
I enjoyed it quite a lot, and I clearly need to go see it again, as I missed some little details (the thing falling into the water at the end, and the stuff after the credits). I'd like to go see it in theaters again, and I will probably pick it on DVD at some point, as well.

I think we're in the same boat. I went to see it with a cousin of mine and my brother. Neither of them liked it though I can see why. At the end I still had quite a few questions and thats probably because I missed a few details. I do think that the whole first-person movie approach was a fairly good idea. I'm also wondering if there's going to be another movie following up after this one or if they'll just leave this evidence tape shrouded in mystery. Also.... I didn't know that cassette tapes could still be salvageable after nuclear blasts. I mean sure the camera got covered by rubble and what not; but clearly not enough for it to be so well protected if you could still hear the characters voices/screams. Especially being so close to the epicenter of the blast.

Oh and whats with the sudden stream of movies/games having the same type of endings? Oh we cant do anything else so lets bomb the shit out of the place. I mean some endings deserve it.. but damn... O_o

ljkkjlcm9
Jan 22, 2008, 01:08 PM
I'm more upset about almost all games and movies nowadays having open endings. It's like none of them want to put a period on the end of their sentence. They want to be like, well, now we can do a sequel if we want to... and we most likely will because we're not very original and need/want more money.

This movie was good as it was, and a sequel is completely unnecessary and would complete change the whole point and feel of this movie. The point was to make you feel connected to this random tragedy, that happened out of nowhere, a sequel, could not repeat this.

THE JACKEL

Eihwaz
Jan 22, 2008, 02:46 PM
I'm pretty sure it was a non-nuclear explosion at the end. If it had been, Rob and Beth would've been killed after the first one, and the electromagnetic pulse would've likely destroyed the footage that they captured. The parasites were exceptionally horrifying. I was rather mortified by Marlena's fate.

I want to go see this in theaters again.

Dangerous55
Jan 22, 2008, 05:38 PM
Yeah, I don't think it was nuclear. I believe it was a couple or so MOABS.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jan 22, 2008, 08:47 PM
On 2008-01-22 10:08, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:
I'm more upset about almost all games and movies nowadays having open endings. It's like none of them want to put a period on the end of their sentence. They want to be like, well, now we can do a sequel if we want to... and we most likely will because we're not very original and need/want more money.

This movie was good as it was, and a sequel is completely unnecessary and would complete change the whole point and feel of this movie. The point was to make you feel connected to this random tragedy, that happened out of nowhere, a sequel, could not repeat this.

THE JACKEL

This has, unfortunately, happened once before in the Blair Witch Project. The original was pretty scary because it had a sense of realism to it, and it was in the perspective of the kids who were using a camera. Then they made part 2, and from there, the whole thing turned into a load of crap.

jayster
Jan 23, 2008, 10:58 PM
this movie blew the big one. I hated it, it was boring and stupid. There is barely any action, the suspense is very dull, it wasn't very clear about anything and left you confused about most of the movie. The monster was very dumb, it's little underlings were 10x cooler but they barely incorperated them into the movie, I think the main characters had contact with them about 3 times and they were very brief contacts.

3/4 of the movie is just them walking around doing nothing interesting.

I know that this movie is very unrealistic but seriously....

SPOILER (idk how to cover it up so don't read under this)

Unrealistic:

how can a camera survive a helicopter crash and everything else it went through but still work perfectly fine?

Rob's semi girlfriend (i forget her name) was pinned down with a pole going through the general area of her heart for 6+ hours and when they encountered her, it looked as if she was dead but she popps her eyes open, they pull out the pole and she starts running around like nothing ever happened.

Rob, his gf and Hud were able to survive the helicopter crash practically without a scratch while it was obvious that the pilots were completely trashed.

Confusing / Not clear about:

Where did this monster come from?
What was the monster?
What happened to that girl who was bit? They took her away and it looked like she exploded but I couldn't really tell.
Did the girl who got into the helicopter die? (I don't remember if her's blew up or not)
What happened to the monster, they were bombing it like crazy but never showed what happened.
How were the little spider creatures coming off of the big monster? It almost looked like the pieces of the monster that were shot off or hit off turned into them.

These are just a couple of things that I remember.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jayster on 2008-01-23 20:04 ]</font>

Powder Keg
Jan 23, 2008, 11:41 PM
The above post pretty much sums it up perfectly.

Some kid tried to argue with me about "not trying to be spoon-fed something and use your imagination" for these points jayster posted, but if I wanted that, I'd simply make up my own story and not spend money to use my imagination. Person also gloated about some website providing more information, which is also completely stupid because that's the same as buying an incomplete book and going online to find out what was unexplained.

RavenTW
Jan 23, 2008, 11:47 PM
Jayster: I don't wanna quote you, as it would make a post that's too big, but I can answer some questions. [spoiler-box]Apparantly, and this is just what I got from snooping online, this monster was laying dorment in the ocean near Manhatten. When the company's satellite crashed in the ocean, a team went to retrieve the satellite, and woke the creature up.[/spoiler-box]

[spoiler-box]Sometimes, a monster is just a monster. Some others have asked why he's attacking, and Abrams himself has said it was due to seperation anxiety. The creature was split from it's parent and began to freak out, lashing out violentally on the city.[/spoiler-box]

[spoiler-box]Apparantly, the parasites have some venom that causes people to bleed profusely if they get bitten. And yes, her torso did explode. Prolly the same thing that happened to the soldier they showed on the stretcher without a torso[/spoiler-box]

[spoiler-box]The other girl survived. The creature only went for Rob/Becca/Hud's chopper (and even then, only after he got bombed, so it was a retaliatory action)[/spoiler-box]

[spoiler-box]Um, he got bombed, survived (apparantly warheads only cause blunt-force trauma to this thing), and retaliated by going after their chopper[/spoiler-box]

[spoiler-box]They were parasites. They were sticking to the monster and feeding off of it as it gave them transport. When they food a new food source in us, they latched off and attacked, I assume.[/spoiler-box]

I personally, I loved this movie and praised it for not giving us all the information, because it gives more realism to such an attack, as well as leaves us to speculate on the specifics. Sure, I figured out most of the twists (if the movie even HAD twists), but that didn't stop me from enjoying the movie.

ljkkjlcm9
Jan 24, 2008, 07:12 AM
On 2008-01-23 19:58, jayster wrote:
Unrealistic:

how can a camera survive a helicopter crash and everything else it went through but still work perfectly fine?

Rob's semi girlfriend (i forget her name) was pinned down with a pole going through the general area of her heart for 6+ hours and when they encountered her, it looked as if she was dead but she popps her eyes open, they pull out the pole and she starts running around like nothing ever happened.

Rob, his gf and Hud were able to survive the helicopter crash practically without a scratch while it was obvious that the pilots were completely trashed.

Confusing / Not clear about:

Where did this monster come from?
What was the monster?
What happened to that girl who was bit? They took her away and it looked like she exploded but I couldn't really tell.
Did the girl who got into the helicopter die? (I don't remember if her's blew up or not)
What happened to the monster, they were bombing it like crazy but never showed what happened.
How were the little spider creatures coming off of the big monster? It almost looked like the pieces of the monster that were shot off or hit off turned into them.

These are just a couple of things that I remember.

Ok, to your unrealistic things
1)OK the camera survived a lot, but wth, it is a movie, and how else are you going to have it happen
2)It obviously missed the heart and when adrenaline kicks in, you'd be surprised what people can push through. Just look at military wounds.
3)Crazier things have happened. People survive things when there is absolutely no explanation for it in real life.

To your questions
Most of them are meant to be left out on the open. The point of the movie is to feel like you're there, and this thing happens out of no where. There's not suppose to be an explanation, you're suppose to be wondering all those things. The day of 9/11, did the people in the buildings and surrounding area have an explanation for everything. No, they just had to try and survive. That was the point of this movie.

On another note, there are all sorts of little things in the movie that if you pay careful attention you can see. And to the poster above me...
[spoiler-box]Actually the girl in the other helicopter didn't survive. You can apparently see her helicopter hit a building.[/spoiler-box]

THE JACKEL

omegapirate2k
Jan 24, 2008, 12:13 PM
I'm going to see this on saturday.

Moo2u
Jan 24, 2008, 07:10 PM
On 2008-01-19 06:33, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:

Basically the idea is, you know what they know... and that's all you know. So basically, you know nothing.

THE JACKEL

Thank you. There seems to be a bunch of people complaining about how they didn't know what the monster was, why it was there, yadda yadda yadda. That's not the point of the movie. It would suck if a scientist in a white lab coat just came out of nowhere and explained everything. You're seeing the movie through the characters eyes, and that's that. I personally loved it that way; I'm sick of movie plots spoon feeding us every little detail.

For those who are interested...
[spoiler-box]There are clues throughout the movie and in the viral marketing campaign that lets people puzzle piece their way through the movie. At the end when the film goes back to Conney Island you can see a satellite hitting the water...not sure what this is used for yet....but hey! It gets us thinking...
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj17/mosai89/IMG_0235.jpg
At the end of the credits there's a sound messages that says backwards "It's still alive" (so the bombing didn't kill the monster.)
The monster obviously came from the sea, so the creatures that attached itself onto it were all different creatured that had a symbiotic relationship with the monster (like sea creatures attaching themselves onto whales for transportation.)
The viral marketing sites have sites for a japaneise drink called Slusho (http://www.slusho.jp/) (the main character wore a Slusho shirt at one point, was this where he was going to work?), and has a website for a company named Tagruato that makes them. (http://www.tagruato.jp/) It says a secret ingredient for Slusho is "seabed nectar." There's also a protest group (http://www.tidowave.com/) protesting the company and they have a website too. Is it possibly that this "seabed nectar" was the monster's main food source? And by taking it, we pissed it off?
If you look on the Tagruato site, their newest deep sea drilling platform is the one closest to New York. They made this fake news story video (http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/71733/) about that oil rig being attacked. I'd also like to point out that the first thing the monster attacked in the movie was an oil tanker.
Also note during the viral marketing, there were hints toward the "Bloop" incident from 1997. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloop) (Which, by the way, is real.)
Also, here's the main character's myspaces! All of them stopped updating after the 18th (for obvious reasons.)
Rob (http://www.myspace.com/robbyhawkins)
Beth (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=201289854)
Hub (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=201294483) I got a kick out of Hud and Rob's discussion about The Watchmen (Note Hud's hight is listed as very short...probably cause the sucka was bit in half!! Must be a little joke by the people who made the site.)

Also, there was a point on the Brooklyn bridge where Hud videotapes another guy videotaping him. The director said that was like a whole other possible story there. Wouldn't it be cool if there was a sequel about what other people did in the exact time frame of the first movie?
[/spoiler-box]

...that is all...

jayster
Jan 25, 2008, 12:59 PM
On 2008-01-24 16:10, Moo2u wrote:

THE JACKEL

Thank you. There seems to be a bunch of people complaining about how they didn't know what the monster was, why it was there, yadda yadda yadda. That's not the point of the movie. It would suck if a scientist in a white lab coat just came out of nowhere and explained everything. You're seeing the movie through the characters eyes, and that's that. I personally loved it that way; I'm sick of movie plots spoon feeding us every little detail.

[spoiler-box]There are clues throughout the movie and in the viral marketing campaign that lets people puzzle piece their way through the movie. At the end when the film goes back to Conney Island you can see a satellite hitting the water...not sure what this is used for yet....but hey! It gets us thinking...
At the end of the credits there's a sound messages that says backwards "It's still alive" (so the bombing didn't kill the monster.)
The monster obviously came from the sea, so the creatures that attached itself onto it were all different creatured that had a symbiotic relationship with the monster (like sea creatures attaching themselves onto whales for transportation.)
The viral marketing sites have sites for a japaneise drink called Slusho (http://www.slusho.jp/) (the main character wore a Slusho shirt at one point, was this where he was going to work?), and has a website for a company named Tagruato that makes them. (http://www.tagruato.jp/) It says a secret ingredient for Slusho is "seabed nectar." There's also a protest group (http://www.tidowave.com/) protesting the company and they have a website too. Is it possibly that this "seabed nectar" was the monster's main food source? And by taking it, we pissed it off?
If you look on the Tagruato site, their newest deep sea drilling platform is the one closest to New York. They made this fake news story video (http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/71733/) about that oil rig being attacked. I'd also like to point out that the first thing the monster attacked in the movie was an oil tanker.
Also note during the viral marketing, there were hints toward the "Bloop" incident from 1997. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloop) (Which, by the way, is real.)
Also, here's the main character's myspaces! All of them stopped updating after the 18th (for obvious reasons.)
Beth (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=201289854)
Hub (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=201294483) I got a kick out of Hud and Rob's discussion about The Watchmen (Note Hud's hight is listed as very short...probably cause the sucka was bit in half!! Must be a little joke by the people who made the site.)

Also, there was a point on the Brooklyn bridge where Hud videotapes another guy videotaping him. The director said that was like a whole other possible story there. Wouldn't it be cool if there was a sequel about what other people did in the exact time frame of the first movie?
[/spoiler-box]

...that is all...

that's the probablem though. You followed 5 boring people (except for Hud) that barely had interaction with the monster and didn't have any idea what was going on. So you didn't have any idea of what was going on. When something happened, the main characters didn't know what was going on so again you didn't know what was going on. If this movie is made to make you try and guess or puzzle everything together then they should give us a clue booklet or something.

ljkkjlcm9
Jan 25, 2008, 01:18 PM
On 2008-01-25 09:59, jayster wrote:

On 2008-01-24 16:10, Moo2u wrote:

THE JACKEL

[/spoiler-box]

...that is all...

that's the probablem though. You followed 5 boring people (except for Hud) that barely had interaction with the monster and didn't have any idea what was going on. So you didn't have any idea of what was going on. When something happened, the main characters didn't know what was going on so again you didn't know what was going on. If this movie is made to make you try and guess or puzzle everything together then they should give us a clue booklet or something.

It's not made to figure things out. It's made to feel real. Obviously the giant monster isn't real. But you know as much as you would know if it actually happened to you. If a Giant monster attacked your city, you'd know nothing about it, and try and stay away from it too. This is not your typical "Omnipotent" movie where you know everything that's going on, and why. You're not suppose to, you're suppose to be able to relate to them because they were just having a party, then this thing randomly attacked. You know and experience what they know and experience.

Honestly, if people don't understand that, don't even bother seeing the movie.

THE JACKEL

Powder Keg
Jan 26, 2008, 02:22 AM
On 2008-01-25 10:18, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:

It's not made to figure things out. It's made to feel real. Obviously the giant monster isn't real. But you know as much as you would know if it actually happened to you. If a Giant monster attacked your city, you'd know nothing about it, and try and stay away from it too. This is not your typical "Omnipotent" movie where you know everything that's going on, and why. You're not suppose to, you're suppose to be able to relate to them because they were just having a party, then this thing randomly attacked. You know and experience what they know and experience.

Honestly, if people don't understand that, don't even bother seeing the movie.

THE JACKEL

We understand this, although a lot of people did not going into the movie.

What we're saying is--it's dumb...and could have been executed better also.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Artea on 2008-01-25 23:23 ]</font>

Sord
Jan 27, 2008, 06:19 PM
On 2008-01-18 20:43, DekaoTheRAmar wrote:
It wasn't until recently i learned it is not a Godzilla movie. And that it's actually, in my way of looking at it, a FPS movie. If you think about it you're seeing what happens through the eyes of a dude just like in an FPS you go where the camera takes you.

I actually felt that way in a few parts. The biggest being shortly after the military comes in with tanks and blasts the monster (wilst protagonists take cover, camera guy on one side of street, other three on other side of street.) All four get up and start to run, for some reason that felt A LOT like a charge in a FPS. Reminded me of both Gears of War (that duck and charge thing) as well as a few wartime shooters.

I rather enjoyed the movie. I did not find it that predictable, but then again I don't go watching crappy horror movies. I usually avoid horror films, because I don't find them scarry in the least, and thus nearly all entertainment value is lost. And if you know so many are crap, WHY DO YOU STILL WATCH THEM? (that's not being put to anyone in particular.)

What I actually enjoyed the most though, was the sound effects. Obviously experiance varies from theatre to theatre based on speaker setup. In my case, everytime a buliding fell, something blew up, etc, you could actually feel the room shake. The SFX seemed exceptionally well done throughout. I was also sitting dead center of the screen, so it took my direct view (which helps when watching such a movie.) If this were to play at our Omnimax (imagine an IMAX theatre but even bigger, literally takes up your entire viewing area) I would gladly go see it again.

The only problems I had with the movie were mainly personal preference. I found the camera guy annoying and obnoxious, and wished he would shut up most of the time. There was only one line in the movie I liked from him "If this is the last thing you see: I died."

Unless you have a good home theatre set up, I would not recomend buying the movie on DVD. A good chunk of it's entertainment value is putting you in the middle of the action and making it seem real. Watching the movie on a basic TV with built in speakers is not going to give you this effect. If anyone has ever been to Universal Studios/Orlando theme park in Florida, and went on the rides where you are put in a car and everything is simulated around you (Spider-man and a Back to the Future ones when I last went) this movie feels like it should be viewed very much the same way.

If you can't connect with the movie enough to put yourself there, then yeah, this movie is going to suck for you. You are not presented with a fully fleshed out story, full character development, or the best of dialogue. So of course it's going to suck in those aspects, which unfortunately are the only other ones left.

The movie is more situational to people than anything.

Kent
Jan 27, 2008, 08:21 PM
Oh, my, people complaining that they don't know anything about the monster, or where it came from?

Do you really think they're going to explain that, in a movie about the experiences of people during the attack?

If you want answers, you're going to have to go find them yourself - that's the way it's set up. Really, almost all of the answers have been given out, so far.

Remember all of that viral marketing? Websites and faked news reports and everything? They have the pieces of the puzzle (http://cloverfieldclues.blogspot.com) (<- Contains spoilers, obviously), you just need to put them together. It's pretty obvious that the "game" was being done this way, really.

Link5
Jan 28, 2008, 04:44 PM
I'm surprised that the overwhelming majority have spoken so negatively about this movie. I stayed away from any impressions until I saw it, but after seeing it I really didn't think the consensus would be that it was awful. Personally, my friends and I thought it was great. It had a virtually invisible script. The camera style was creative and added to the sense of realism. It's a shame some people felt sick from it, I felt fine.

I also find it interesting that the majority of complaints about the movie have been either really vague or unwarranted., ie. "It's dumb." There's no point in repeating what every one else has said, but those who complain about how nothing is explained, or the fact that it is open ended, simply are missing the point of the movie.

I think I've come to the realization that a lot of the negativity concerning the film may come from people not really knowing how to cope with something new or different than the norm.

Wyndham
Jan 28, 2008, 04:48 PM
I liked the movie, although it was a bit predictable. I might go see it again.