PDA

View Full Version : which mp3 player?

Jehosaphaty
Jan 18, 2008, 07:14 PM
Okay my ipod got ganked here about a month ago (really lame, there goes a 30gig video) and I'm in the market for a new mp3 player. I thought I would see if anybody had experience with anything other than ipod that they could maybe provide. I really couldn't give a shit about anything other than price and functionality; it's not like I'm using the thing as an accessory, I just want something that holds music and works without glitching. I don't have any need to hold my entire library on something, but probably in the 4gig-ish range would work. Also I'm not looking to drop a load so anything under 200 bones is preferable.

I'm not like looking for some comprehensive list that somebody needs to compile, I'm just curious what people have, what they use, whether they like it, and a yes/no on whether you would suggest it or not.

edit: two more things to throw in the mix; the music manager program shouldn't be shitty and neither should battery life

Also thanks if you respond to this.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jehosaphaty on 2008-01-18 16:21 ]</font>

Shadowpawn
Jan 18, 2008, 07:23 PM
Go with the Zen V Plus (http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=15306), Holds up to 4GBs, cost only 70 at most, great battery life, video playback, voice recorder and inline recording. It has OLED lighting so you definely will see its screen in the darkest night. It has a real tough coding around the exterior of the player so it's very resistance to drops. Just don't put it in your back pocket and sit on the thing...that's what did mine in.

What I'm using right now is the Zen Vision: M 30GB (http://www.creative.com/products/mp3/zenvisionm/) (warning, annoying flash intro). It's like the iPod...with a crap load of extra features.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadowpawn on 2008-01-18 16:26 ]</font>

NPCMook
Jan 18, 2008, 07:24 PM
Well I have a Zune, one of the newer thinner models, I like it. Don't have to buy an extra addition to listen to Radio, can play video(.wmv I think). The only issue I have is it tends to be a little touch sensative, but that is easily fixed with the lock feature >.>

Jaspaller
Jan 18, 2008, 07:27 PM
I own a zune. One of my biggest problems with it is that it can't be used as a mass storage device. Need to have the zune software installed on the PC in order to get it to transfer files in between.

Music, Videos, on the fly playlist creation, pictures, radios. I own the old 30gb model so I dunno how the newer and smaller ones compare

Jehosaphaty
Jan 18, 2008, 08:35 PM
i'm not the most tech savvy person around...is it fairly easy switching your purchased and otherwise music from itunes over to micro's software?

McLaughlin
Jan 18, 2008, 08:56 PM
I've had a rather poor experience with Creative Labs products. I went through four of them in a month and a half, through no fault of my own.

When my Nano (old one) goes, I'll be getting a Zune.

Jive18
Jan 19, 2008, 01:03 AM
Sup Jeho, not in the Peoria area anymore?

For the best audio quality overall, I've heard good remarks about Zune, iRiver, and Creative (notably the older Zen Vision:M). Switching over your music from iTunes to any of these other apps should be relatively easy, but the protected .m4p music that you purchase from iTunes cannot be transferred over unless you use some sort of application to convert these songs into an open format.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the older Zune 30 GB, which can be found for a steal on eBay. The player is gorgeous and highly functional in its own right. The only drawback may be that the Zune software used on the PC is rather boring visually.

Hope I could help, good luck mate.

Blitzkommando
Jan 19, 2008, 01:41 AM
I have had a Zune 30 since, well, almost since release. Nice and easy to use, sounds great, has lots of features and is even cheaper today than it was a year ago. Not too long ago Newegg had the brown one (same color I have) for $99. It seems they no longer carry that color and it's just white or black and they're $189. That's about the going price for 30GB and frankly a better deal than $150 for 4GB or $200 for 8GB although the 4GB Zunes are on sale at Newegg right now for $135 and 8GB for $182. The new software (and firmware) are a nice step up from previous. It's the only software I know of that has both a 32-bit version and a 64-bit (Vista only) version if that is important.

The software is simple and intuitive. It's all basically drag and drop which makes adding music to the player a snap. It can be made even easier by simply having it automatically manage what gets put on the player but I prefer more control myself.

Importing from iTunes can be more difficult if you purchased DRM-laden tracks. DRM-free would be as easy as simply pulling them over if MP3, and converting them to MP3 or WMA if they are in M4A format.

Jehosaphaty
Jan 19, 2008, 11:08 AM
yo jive-o. sorta: i've been in indiana for school, but i shuttle back and forth to see the fam and the old lady in the peoria area.

i will check into the zunes forsure. the only hitches i have are 30 gigs is honestly overkill for something i really only want to play in my car and while working out. that and i have a decent amount of purchased garbage on itunes so i'd hafta figure out this converting biz. food for thought though, thanks dudes.

Shardio
Jan 19, 2008, 11:51 AM
Haha, you all seem to have fancy equipment there!
I have a 3-year old 1 Gig MP3 player, that does just that, play MP3's http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
It only costed me 40 euros at the time XD

Kent
Jan 19, 2008, 02:47 PM
30GB is the smallest that the old-style Zunes come in, which are the cheaper ones. They're probably about $100, now.

The new-style of thin Zunes do come in 4GB and 8GB models, but are also more expensive - I believe the reasoning behind that, is the use of internal Flash memory, as opposed to a hard drive.

-Crokar-
Jan 20, 2008, 12:18 AM
i have an mp3 player that my computer wont let me put mp3s on. so its just a radio. kinda sucks.

Kylie
Jan 22, 2008, 01:56 PM
I have an iPod nano, and I have to admit that I'm pretty bored with it. I mean, it serves its purpose well, but iTunes is very frustrating to me... Zune definitely has my curiosity peaked.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lorelei on 2008-01-22 10:56 ]</font>

Eihwaz
Jan 22, 2008, 06:00 PM
What's the deal with the Zen Micro V Plus? On the official site, they mention you can get it in a 16 GB variety, but you can't select 16 GB from the drop-down menu. Is it not available yet? I really want to get a Zen Micro V Plus, but being as hardcore of a music dork as I am, I'd like to spring for the 16 GB model, assuming it exists, and all.

Jehosaphaty
Jan 22, 2008, 06:54 PM
hrrm. i checked out the zen v. it's something small like that, or perhaps a refurbished nano because i'm in cheap mode what with lift tickets and valentines day coming up.

foamcup
Jan 22, 2008, 08:39 PM
I use my PSP. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif It plays lossy .wma and it's a simple process to convert all my lossless .wma files to the lossy format. If I had to get a dedicated one? Probably Zune.

Shadowpawn
Jan 23, 2008, 12:40 AM
On 2008-01-22 15:00, Eihwaz wrote:
What's the deal with the Zen Micro V Plus? On the official site, they mention you can get it in a 16 GB variety, but you can't select 16 GB from the drop-down menu. Is it not available yet? I really want to get a Zen Micro V Plus, but being as hardcore of a music dork as I am, I'd like to spring for the 16 GB model, assuming it exists, and all.

Well that's a new one. It must be a new model they haven't released yet.

Eihwaz
Jan 23, 2008, 06:07 PM
That seems to be pretty reasonable, I guess. I suppose I'll just wait for them to release it...

What are some other top-notch flash-based MP3 players?

Shadowpawn
Jan 23, 2008, 08:33 PM
The iRiver Clix (http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/iriver-clix-2gb/4505-6490_7-31861628.html) is pretty slick, you can even programming in Flash lite for it (if you're into that.)

Note: You should get the second generation Clix, they hold up to 8GBs at the most.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadowpawn on 2008-01-23 18:12 ]</font>

Eihwaz
Jan 26, 2008, 06:14 PM
I just recently got a second generation Zune 80, and I'm quite a fan. The "twist" interface is a nice change from the hierarchal crap on iPods, the screen is large and glorious, the controls are great, and it set up so easily. All I need to do is remove some of the free crap that came pre-loaded on it.

My only problem now is finding a good case or, more ideally, a screen protector. They don't seem to make many for the Zune 80!

Wyndham
Jan 26, 2008, 06:29 PM
I use my PSP slim for music at the moment, and I'm getting an Ipod Nano in June or July.

Leviathan
Jan 27, 2008, 07:54 PM
Go for a Nano. My older brother received one of those new ones this Christmas &it's awesome. 4GB=$150. &A great skin for it is Macally ICESUIT.

http://mackauf.de/img/nachrichten/Image/2007-10/macally-icesuit.jpg

Blitzkommando
Jan 27, 2008, 08:41 PM
On 2008-01-26 15:14, Eihwaz wrote:
I just recently got a second generation Zune 80, and I'm quite a fan. The "twist" interface is a nice change from the hierarchal crap on iPods, the screen is large and glorious, the controls are great, and it set up so easily. All I need to do is remove some of the free crap that came pre-loaded on it.

My only problem now is finding a good case or, more ideally, a screen protector. They don't seem to make many for the Zune 80!

Microsoft's Zune site (http://www.zune.net:80/en-US/products/accessories/default.htm) has a huge assortment of cases for all of the types of Zunes. Hopefully one of those is what you are looking for (and hopefully not too expensive).

I agree with your assessment of the Zune 80. I didn't expect mine as I already had the Zune 30 but I was pleasantly surprised at how polished the product is compared to the 30 which I already liked a lot. The screen is definitely a big part of what makes it so nice as it does look very clean and clear.