PDA

View Full Version : Router help? (Thanks all, problem solved!)

TheOneHero
Jan 19, 2008, 02:47 PM
I'm going to try and explain this as best as I can, so bear with me. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

We just moved recently (Like, the same time I was in Japan) and we gots new internets. Here's the thing, while I was in Japan some cable guy came out and set everything up; I wasn't there to see what's going on/ask him stuff.

Now I need to hook up this router to get internets on my PS2/Gamecube/whatever.

I have no idea where the modem is for our internet.

How it's set up right now is: Ethernet cord goes straight from wall to PC.

I've tried plugging wall Ethernet into router, then one from the router to the PC. No internet.

I've also tried setting up another connection through network settings, either I totally fail, or it didn't work.

(Also, we only have one available Ethernet Port on the PC.)

My router is a Netgear. >_>;

So if anyone could help to get this to work, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Edit*

Btw, every time I plug the router in (wall > router > PC) I lose internet on the PC.

What I really need is to get the internet to go through my router.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheOneHero on 2008-01-19 17:11 ]</font>

McLaughlin
Jan 19, 2008, 03:35 PM
Umm...I think the one coming from the wall should already be connected to your router. Did you try just unplugging it and stickin' it in your Gamecube/PS2/Whatever? It would be beneficial to figure out where your Modem is. It ought to be in your house somewhere.

TheOneHero
Jan 19, 2008, 03:56 PM
On 2008-01-19 12:35, Obsidian_Knight wrote:
Umm...I think the one coming from the wall should already be connected to your router. Did you try just unplugging it and stickin' it in your Gamecube/PS2/Whatever? It would be beneficial to figure out where your Modem is. It ought to be in your house somewhere.

I've already tried plugging my PS2 directly into the wall, no luck.

Also, the router was never hooked up at all which is why I'm trying now.

Next, I've searched the house for the modem, and I can't find it. ;-;

Rubius-sama
Jan 19, 2008, 04:58 PM
There's no way anyone here can know where the cable guy hid your modem. Call up your ISP and find out what sort of operation they did.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rubius-sama on 2008-01-19 13:58 ]</font>

TheOneHero
Jan 19, 2008, 05:08 PM
On 2008-01-19 13:58, Rubius-sama wrote:
There's no way anyone here can know where the cable guy hid your modem. Call up your ISP and find out what sort of operation they did.

Wouldn't there be a way to have the internet go through the router?

SabZero
Jan 19, 2008, 05:21 PM
No, you need a cable modem first. Maybe they installed an internal cable modem (PCI card) into your PC... That would stink, because then you can't put a decent firewall in place o_õ

Definately demand an external cable modem, if they did that.

TheOneHero
Jan 19, 2008, 08:12 PM
Thanks to Mowse, problem was solved.