PDA

View Full Version : Winter Events

NeoTeppin
Jan 19, 2008, 03:27 PM
Well after the event has gone on for over a week, I personally think that it was a bad idea. After the event every character is going to be lvl 120 and 15 in almost every class. Now, all those people who spent hundreds of hours maxing out their lvl, classes, and items before the event are getting caught up to by people who just started playing this week. Plus, all the items they hunted to find are dropping like crazy from the increased drops. To me it's as if all their work was for nothing.

So my question is, was this winter event worth it?

Aviva
Jan 19, 2008, 03:34 PM
i think raising the lvl cap AND putting the event on at the same time was a bad idea...i saw my first lvl 120 the night after the event started....the next lvl cap bump is not going to be for a while probably ( i have no ACTUAL idea when so thats just a guess) so now you will have all these people who are lvl 120 for weeks....with fF FG PT and whatever else all maxed out but possibly with low level PAs....sigh....but i have to admit the exp and MP are something i have been taking advantage of....I do like to see my level go up like this

NeoTeppin
Jan 19, 2008, 03:36 PM
i know a lot of people like to see their lvl go up like that. Even i admittedly liked my lvl going up quickly, but afterwards i realized something.

THERES NOTHING LEFT TO DO.

Cuz now i got a 120 char with the best of every wep type i like available right now, so what is there left to do?

Laranas
Jan 19, 2008, 03:37 PM
It's nice, but people have little to show for playing a year or more now. I played at launch, canceled last January, and started up back (from scratch) in early December. I'm as strong or stronger in both level and equipment (not PAs) than my friends who started at launch with me. While it's nice that I can play with them again, their $100+ in subscription fees amounted to little.

noyoki
Jan 19, 2008, 03:37 PM
i both agree and disagree..anything that enhances our community, is to be seen as a plus. new people drawn in, older players returning, etc. all to the good.
but i do agree to an extent that it has been made a little easy to "catch up". i started back on the ps2, before moatoob was even playable, transfered to the 360 when i bought an elite, and have been grinding ever since. so to cap my beast in less than a week and already have my alt into the upper 70's and growing within a few days..seems a bit much imo.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: noyoki on 2008-01-19 12:47 ]</font>

Tokagero
Jan 19, 2008, 03:49 PM
On 2008-01-19 12:36, NeoTeppin wrote:
i know a lot of people like to see their lvl go up like that. Even i admittedly liked my lvl going up quickly, but afterwards i realized something.

THERES NOTHING LEFT TO DO.

Cuz now i got a 120 char with the best of every wep type i like available right now, so what is there left to do?

hmm, idk, how about maybe use the weapons and have fun with your friends? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

KRKcl17
Jan 19, 2008, 03:59 PM
Yes, it's worth it. I just think ST had a short period of retardation when they decided to release the highest EXP mission EVER with a level cap increase.

Retniwreven
Jan 19, 2008, 04:01 PM
I for one am loving this event, level cap or no level cap. It's far easier in PSU to hit max level than it is to find all the rarer S-Ranks you might wish to use, so there's still a lot to do.

Dhylec
Jan 19, 2008, 04:34 PM
I play pretty much everyday since the 2nd/3rd day the game launched last year. My main has just hit lv100 thanked to this event. I see this, or any exp boosting event, is the only chance to catch up on some friends.

Alrac
Jan 19, 2008, 04:43 PM
yeah i started in the week of the launch and i'm soo far behind in everything ( maybe not pas) but is soo uncomfortable when people who stater last month already have his lvl cap (mines is 91 btw) and 4 or 5 jobs maxed ( i just got FT to 15 yesterday) and having a whole palate of S ranks, i just got a hala rod and an ank dedda. . . and what else is there to do when you do all that. . . maybe ST has something up there sleves

darkante
Jan 19, 2008, 07:04 PM
Yeah i hope there is a good reason for this.

Maybe some extra difficult mission for once?
A new original boss which on highest difficult is impossible to solo at highest difficulty?

Put that in and i go with that as a good reason.

But seeing as that will never actually happen..

*Goes back to exterminate whatever boss i stumble upon solo*
Sigh..

Kylie
Jan 20, 2008, 01:52 PM
Such is life, and such is online games. I expected things to depreciate like this over time, so I'm not bothered by it.

SStrikerR
Jan 20, 2008, 03:20 PM
I would like this more if I actually found something I wanted and actually got it myself.
Out of the 3 items I wanted badly in this event, 2 of them have dropped, and some noob who just started the day before got them. I was ready to....ahhh nvm >_>
The people who just started get EVERYTHING, as well as the people who started around launch, when for some reason I don't get anything at all.
Best things ever happened to me in psu:
Synthed a crea doubles
found another crea doubles board
traded a catilium for a ragnus
got a crimson as a gift

List of what this kid gets for playing a few days:
ank dedda board
Svaltus board
Deva board
Storm line board
giga skill
5 catilium
sweet death
10 morbinia.

This game is evil.

Noblewine
Jan 20, 2008, 06:09 PM
I like the event I tend to play with my main more though I should use it to level my ALT. However I tend to avoid random groups a bit with my force if I do B.

Sinue_v2
Jan 20, 2008, 07:45 PM
To me it's as if all their work was for nothing.

Work? This is a game, bright boy. Entertainment. There is no "work" involved, and if you're treating this GAME as a job - then it's time to cancel your account. Nobody gives a shit about lvl 120 character. Nobody gives a shit about your Sranks. And if you're using these intangible bits of video game data to impress random strangers over the internet for an artificial ego boost - then it's time to considering sitting back and reflecting on exactly where you went wrong in life.

Laranas
Jan 20, 2008, 09:42 PM
On 2008-01-20 16:45, Sinue_v2 wrote:

To me it's as if all their work was for nothing.

Work? This is a game, bright boy. Entertainment. There is no "work" involved, and if you're treating this GAME as a job - then it's time to cancel your account. Nobody gives a shit about lvl 120 character. Nobody gives a shit about your Sranks. And if you're using these intangible bits of video game data to impress random strangers over the internet for an artificial ego boost - then it's time to considering sitting back and reflecting on exactly where you went wrong in life. It's not a job, but it's an investment of time and money. And if someone can come in and come out the "better man" -however you decide to measure your ePeen- with a fraction of the time and/or money that you've spent, there's a good chance you'll be peeved. I know quite a few people who've invested $100-$200 just on the game and subscription fees, thousands of hours playing with friends, leveling, and hunting rares.

And right next to them is a character made 2 weeks ago, same capped level, same amount of meseta, and better, rarer weapons. Personally, I don't care how good other people are, but if that's how you measure success, you'll be angry.

Sinue_v2
Jan 21, 2008, 12:50 AM
So what? What are you investing that time and money into? Intangible data that will one day be inaccessible and deleted like trash by Sega. There is no return on that investment. The only thing you really get of worth out of the game is a bit of temporary enjoyment and fun. Fun, which is the main driver of the reason why we should be playing games in the first place - and it is not at all hampered by the success of others in the game regardless of how quickly they earned that success.

Unless, of course, said player is the kind of soggy cockbag who's sole means of enjoyment in this world is gloating to strangers on the internet about how their progress in a videogame is somehow worth more than theirs. The same kids who could only find happiness not by sharing the cookie, but by waving it in the faces of the other kids who didn't have one and then greedily chomping it down.

amtalx
Jan 21, 2008, 08:35 AM
Bear in mind that levels don't necessarily make you better. Particularly in terms of rangers and techers (lolhunters), PA levels are one of the delineating factors between good players and average players. ST could start selling player levels for 100k at the NPC shop, but you can't roll into PSU and expect to have leveled PAs after 2 weeks.

I'm a "day 1" player and I don't really feel cheated. I've even lost a step because I quit for the time being, but I don't feel behind at all. The amount of effort I've put towards my character isn't wasted because some new guy is the same level.

Chaosgyro
Jan 21, 2008, 01:34 PM
So what if some guy just started and is already the same level/has the same crap as you? There are one of two benefits that a longer playtime has. (leaving out such things as PAs)

1. You were able to have those levels/S Ranks FIRST, before they were dirt common

2. This guy had to binge game for days or weeks in the events to catch up that quickly and acquire those items. You, meanwhile, were able to take time out to sleep, watch a movie, and maybe get laid and STILL be in the same position as the douchebag.

All in all, if the point of paying your $120 a year is to be better than everyone else you'll need to play another game. Content in an MMO is finite and people will always be able to accomplish the same things as you - with greater or lesser effort. The point of paying every month to play is to experience the game, the community, and the updated content. If you want an epeen boost I suggest playing a game such as an RTS or shooter where you can take your playtime and use it to grind little n00bs into the dust.

Abashi76
Jan 21, 2008, 04:32 PM
On 2008-01-19 12:27, NeoTeppin wrote:
Well after the event has gone on for over a week, I personally think that it was a bad idea. After the event every character is going to be lvl 120 and 15 in almost every class. Now, all those people who spent hundreds of hours maxing out their lvl, classes, and items before the event are getting caught up to by people who just started playing this week. Plus, all the items they hunted to find are dropping like crazy from the increased drops. To me it's as if all their work was for nothing.

So my question is, was this winter event worth it?

You bring up a good question.

Pro: It allows players to gather, and catch up, which is what a lot of players want. Its also the best source of mission points which are very hard to receive. Its also fun to go around and find the discs, and such.

Con: As I've experienced, it levels a player up too quickly (if your a force at least). I leveled up before my techs, and now I have to go back and level them up over and over again to make up for it. The worst aspect of it is that since there are very little players, there is very little activity in other places.

----- Luckily, its only for the Winter, and then everybody will be doing things elsewhere. Right now I'm leveling my techniques, and also gathering PAs if I have the opportunity. I wish to replace my Foie and Zodeel with Megid and Giresta.