PDA

View Full Version : Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

Dre_o
Jan 20, 2008, 05:23 PM
Am I the only one who is looking forward to this?

Anyways, from what I gathered about this upcoming addition to the awesome which is the Advance Wars saga,the world has been hit by a massive meteor which has wiped out 90% of the world's population. People now fight for survival instead of world domination.

Also, I believe the designers stepped back, looked at Advance Wars DS and axed all the superfluous things that kinda made it over bearing (dual battle fronts and dual CO powers just to name a few things that got pitched). They also seem to have done away with the happy-go-lucky attitude in preference to a more grim, war like atmosphere.

Oh, and did I mention FUCKING WI-FI BATTLES!!?? Yes, you can now have friend and random wi-fi wars. You can also share maps over wi-fi (inbeforelolzpenizmaps).

Personally, I'm looking forward to this quite a bit. Howsabout you?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dre_o on 2008-01-20 14:24 ]</font>

TheOneHero
Jan 20, 2008, 05:27 PM
Played it in Japan less than a month ago. Pretty hardcore, can't wait for it to come out in the states. (I was |<->| close to buying it in Japan.) =D

ljkkjlcm9
Jan 20, 2008, 05:33 PM
I don't have time for many games anymore... though this would be one of the first DS games I would pick up when I get some money and time to play it.

I mean, I got Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn for Christmas on my Wii, and I've only done the prologue.
Next game I plan on getting is Smash Bros, and I'll make time for that game

THE JACKEL

Darkly
Jan 20, 2008, 05:39 PM
im always ready for some advance wars - however a couple niggles i have anyway -

it liked the up-beat theme, colours etc. on the previous games. The theme music in that game for each character was also awesome. I wonder if any old characters are coming back too.

wifi - as good as it sounds. Even with my firends over wireless we rarely finished a battle - the game has a habit of turning into back and forth battles it was fun for sure, but i wonder how many times im going to be having fun in a game, start to gain an upper hand only for my opponent to disconnect.

TheOneHero
Jan 20, 2008, 05:52 PM
On 2008-01-20 14:39, Darkly wrote: but i wonder how many times im going to be having fun in a game, start to gain an upper hand only for my opponent to disconnect.

Ugh, thanks for the painful reminder. XD

I also want to confirm to dual powers for CO's; they have some pretty awesome combinations. (I freaked out when I saw my brother use one XD!) Grit + Max = <3

I'm a little disappointed how the graphics weren't improved very much over Advance Wars 2; even still, graphics don't make the game. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Dre_o
Jan 20, 2008, 05:59 PM
Personally, I'm glad Dual Powers appear to be gone. Why? Well:

Some of the combinations were so obtusely powerful, they would cause irreparable damage in one single turn. Sure, your power was up on your next turn, but what men do you have left to use after Rachel/Nell bombed/luck killed your entire army?

But, I will withhold any preconceptions.

Darkly
Jan 20, 2008, 06:36 PM
they are streamlining the tanks as well, there just one big tank now right? replacing neo and mega. Im glad they're focusing the game down again, even if it means getting rid of those awesome one turn distructions lol - the less hectic it is hopefully the more accessible it is to online play.

Firocket1690
Jan 21, 2008, 10:50 AM
From what I've heard...

WiFi will be on a 10x10
Orange, Blue, Yellow, Black
Tank, Md.Tank, Megatank, Anti-Tank
Temporary Buildings
No tags
No pipes - replaced with plasma barriers, destroyable once the meteor is broken

and ehh

oh, and OMGRAFIX

... yeah, I'll be buying this today. n.n

ljkkjlcm9
Jan 22, 2008, 03:17 PM
so, I was in the store when they delivered this game today, so I picked it up.

So far, a lot darker than the previous titles, and a lot less complex than the previous DS version. I don't feel there's as much to do however, but apparently there are 100 free maps, so I suppose there's that. For some reason I just felt there were more options and choices in the previous DS game, and this one is far simpler. The newer troops have done nothing for me... especially the antitank. Rockets are stronger, and are Artillery is almost as strong as it. Artillery is 6k, while Antitank is 11k, and rockets are 15k. I'm either going to buy two artillery to get more damage done, or save up for a rocket. It's not a bad unit, but feels obsolete. I do like getting rid of the Neo/Mega tank and making it just one tank. It got to the point that Neo tanks were obsolete. The new moto-infantry is good too, as well as the flare tank in the fog of war maps. Haven't reached any air or sea battles yet however.

THE JACKEL

Dre_o
Jan 22, 2008, 04:22 PM
Ahh Jackel, the thing with Anti Tank is that it can counter attack if attacked directly by a tank. I know, kinda...weird considering it's indirect fire, but that's the point. It's supposed to be more front line than the other 2.

Oh, and I'm going to pick it up now so I'll let you guys know.

ljkkjlcm9
Jan 22, 2008, 06:10 PM
On 2008-01-22 13:22, Dre_o wrote:
Ahh Jackel, the thing with Anti Tank is that it can counter attack if attacked directly by a tank. I know, kinda...weird considering it's indirect fire, but that's the point. It's supposed to be more front line than the other 2.

Oh, and I'm going to pick it up now so I'll let you guys know.

yeah I just experienced that a few maps later. It can take more hits than the other two, I suppose the idea is something like, tanks, antitanks, rockets, in a line to attack someone.

THE JACKEL

Dre_o
Jan 22, 2008, 11:11 PM
Anyone want a match?

If so, my FC is

just leave a reply and I'll slay battle you. :3