PDA

View Full Version : Russian Gaming: Is serious business

eXo
Jan 20, 2008, 09:11 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=26166073&sid=6184901&action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;3

Russian Lineage II player beats rival...to death

Massively multiplayer online gamers have developed an unsavory reputation in the eyes of many over the years due to their fanatical devotion and often rabid fan base. That untoward perception was enhanced this week, when Russia Today reported a Moscow man was murdered after a real-life confrontation between two rival Lineage II guilds went sour.

After the man's guild reportedly killed a rival's character in-game, the two guilds agreed to have it out in real life. The ensuing brawl left one so badly injured he subsequently died from his injuries in route to a local hospital. The Russia Today report did not indicate whether official charges had been filed, though it did indicate that a 22-year-old man has confessed to the beating.

Russia Today, the English-language service of the government-controlled state news agency RIA-Novosti, also mentions several other recent game-related acts of violence within Russia. A man from Moscow was reportedly recently beaten to death by a gamer from Ukraine in a similar situation of rivals meeting up, and a 20-year-old gamer killed his grandmother after she apparently announced it was time for dinner.

Powder Keg
Jan 20, 2008, 09:14 PM
wow.

Sinue_v2
Jan 20, 2008, 09:23 PM
Oh god, I loled.

Darkly
Jan 20, 2008, 09:53 PM
you read the article too lol, i just cant believe somebody killed their nan because she said it was dinner time lol.

edit: spelling

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Darkly on 2008-01-20 18:55 ]</font>

Shadowpawn
Jan 20, 2008, 10:12 PM
WTF? People are messed up man.

KodiaX987
Jan 20, 2008, 10:14 PM
Perfectly normal.

I remember back when I was on CapnMarv's server. He named and shamed a scammer in-game, who happened to be an alliance leader. The guy got banned minutes later, and immediately the alliance mates proceeded to start looking for CapnMarv's personal information so they could find his home address and go beat him up.

ABDUR101
Jan 20, 2008, 10:23 PM
haha, they got served!

"In Government Russia, game plays you!"

VioletSkye
Jan 20, 2008, 10:33 PM
On 2008-01-20 19:23, ABDUR101 wrote:
haha, they got served!

Heh, you can't go wrong with random Yakov Smirnoff references lol. Although I don't play any mmo's I remember a lot of drama in the D2 lobbies from time to time http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2008-01-20 19:38 ]</font>

eXo
Jan 20, 2008, 10:51 PM
Heh, you can't go wrong with random Yakov Smirnoff references lol. Although I don't play any mmo's I remember a lot of drama in the D2 lobbies from time to time http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Haha

Those where the good old days http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: eXo on 2008-01-20 19:51 ]</font>

Sharkyland
Jan 21, 2008, 12:23 PM
There have been small reports like this in the past, but this is overboard.

Anduril
Jan 21, 2008, 01:08 PM
Holy, shi-. Makes you wonder what's wrong with people these days. To kill a person over some unimportant pieces of data created for the purpose of entertainment. It makes me sad.

Kylie
Jan 21, 2008, 02:44 PM
This is terrible, but I lol'd.

The part about that guy killing his grandma 'cause she said it was time for dinner... wow.

Sinue_v2
Jan 21, 2008, 08:13 PM
Keep in mind this is also coming from a country where one of the most popular game shows of all time was a real life version of Grand Theft Auto (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/1998/int/980330/the_arts.television.russ25.html). You steal a designated car, and if you can evade the police for 35 minuites - you get a brand new car of the same type. If you fail, you get arrested and go to prison.

DizzyDi
Jan 21, 2008, 08:25 PM
On 2008-01-21 17:13, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Keep in mind this is also coming from a country where one of the most popular game shows of all time was a real life version of Grand Theft Auto (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/1998/int/980330/the_arts.television.russ25.html). You steal a designated car, and if you can evade the police for 35 minuites - you get a brand new car of the same type. If you fail, you get arrested and go to prison.

Sounds like a Fox program.

Spacepest
Jan 23, 2008, 03:19 AM
On 2008-01-21 10:08, Anduril wrote:
Holy, shi-. Makes you wonder what's wrong with people these days. To kill a person over some unimportant pieces of data created for the purpose of entertainment. It makes me sad.

Agreed. As much as I like MMORPG gaming, I'd never go so far to kill another person over an in game incident. (However, if I catch you physically in my home trying to steal my PC or my consoles, that's a different story. I'm going to try to kill you at least).

And someone who killed their grandma because she told them dinner was ready?! WTF!? Ungrateful little beaaatch. If my Grandma suddenly came into my room and told me dinner was ready, I'd immediately log out of whatever game I'm playing (and if I was in party, probably leave party members stranded). Grandma is doing me a favor cooking me dinner! Free Grandma cooked food! My Grandma's a good cook.

Sord
Jan 23, 2008, 07:19 AM
I'm sure ten minutes later the granny killer went, "SHIT, who's going to pay my subscription fee now?!"

Shiro_Ryuu
Jan 23, 2008, 11:30 AM
People are idiots, simple as that. It's not the video game's fault, its that kid's fault for being such a total dumbass and having some obvious anger issues.

omegapirate2k
Jan 23, 2008, 11:33 AM
On 2008-01-20 19:23, ABDUR101 wrote:
haha, they got served!

I think it could be improved if instead of "game plays you" it was "game beats you", but that's just my clearly inferior 2 cents.

Also, this is why you should never wrong me online, because I will fucking kill you, also, I broke my dogs legs because he was bugging me since he hadn't eaten in 18 hours because I was spamming Dulk Fakis for a blackheart board.

CherryLunar
Jan 23, 2008, 11:37 PM
I hope you're not being serious... o____o

KodiaX987
Jan 24, 2008, 09:44 AM
Believe me, some of us are willing to go quite a few lengths to seek justice and/or revenge.

Just you wait until someone invents a device that allows us to stab people in the face over the Internet.

omegapirate2k
Jan 24, 2008, 11:15 AM
On 2008-01-23 20:37, CherryLunar wrote:
I hope you're not being serious... o____o

Why don't you try and find out?

On 2008-01-24 06:44, KodiaX987 wrote:
Believe me, some of us are willing to go quite a few lengths to seek justice and/or revenge.

Just you wait until someone invents a device that allows us to stab people in the face over the Internet.

Bash.org is the greatest place to look for invention ideas, hmm?

omegapirate2k
Jan 24, 2008, 11:18 AM
EDIT: Server problems, I guess.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: omegapirate2k on 2008-01-24 08:33 ]</font>