PDA

View Full Version : 5.1 Audio System Question

Link00seven
Jan 21, 2008, 02:45 PM
Hello,

I just picked up a Yamaha 600-watt 5.1 surround sound system to go with my HDTV. It has 2 optical inputs on it.

The first of these inputs it for my Xbox 360. I have the 360 plugged into my TV via component (720p) and use the optical audio for the 5.1. It sounds and works great.

The second I want to have going from the optical out on my TV to the optical in on the receiver. This would allow anything plugged into my TV inputs to utilize the sound system. (even devices that don't support optical or 5.1) Here is where my problem lies.

I have my cable box plugged into via HDMI. If I plug it in how I have it above (Optical cable from TV optical out to receiver in) and then use HDMI from my cable box to my TV, the sound will come out of the audio system but for some reason it isn't doing 5.1. However, if I go from optical from the cable box right into the receiver, it works fine.

It is my understanding that HDMI carries a full HD video and full 5.1 audio signal. In this manner, if I have the cable box sending the audio/video signal to my TV via HDMI and then have my TV set to deliver all audio it receives out to my receiver via the digital audio out (optical) output, then it should be 5.1. However, on my receiver its only showing that its using Pro Logic II.

I would test this theory with another HDMI device, but I don't have one. I am thinking about picking up a PS3 when some of the games I like come out this year, and because I'll have 3 devices (Cable box, 360, and PS3) that use optical, being able to plug the audio cable into my TV and receiver and use the HDMI cables to get full HD video/sound and then keep my 360 plugged direct in (since 360 doesn't have HDMI) would be great, however why is my cable box not sending out 5.1 through HDMI? Will the PS3?

Thanks, if you need me to clear anything up I will.

SATatami
Jan 22, 2008, 01:51 PM
I didn't read all the post, but please, do us all a favor and crank that shit up and piss off your neighbors http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Link00seven
Jan 22, 2008, 08:15 PM
Haha, trust me, I've been doing that.

I figured out the answer to my question anyway. Thanks all for reading but I'll take the liberty of closing this thread.