PDA

View Full Version : I've got a volunteer job!

Wyndham
Jan 23, 2008, 02:49 PM
Today my background check went through, and on saturday, I start my Teachers' assistant job at the art school downtown. It's a Flash Animation class done on mac computers. I took the class twice, and the teacher is a mentor of sorts for me as my mom puts it. as a payment, my mom gives me money for a drink and a candy bar each day. I'm happy!

ABDUR101
Jan 23, 2008, 02:57 PM
Hey, you do realise you're just afew steps away from being paid peanuts right?

Kidding anyway, congratulations. Hopefully you..uh..well have fun and enjoy it, and maybe it will open some opportunities for you.

Wyndham
Jan 23, 2008, 03:18 PM
my brother actually started working in a paying job after 6 months volunteering at the same school in the classroom next to the computer room.

CelestialBlade
Jan 23, 2008, 03:40 PM
I did volunteer work from grade school through high school, it's actually fun if you're doing something you enjoy. Congratulations!

Spacepest
Jan 24, 2008, 01:37 PM
I did volunteer work as a library page in junior high and high school and it got me the current job I work at, and this was volunteer work I did over a dozen years ago. So yeah, make sure you keep a record of all the volunteer work you do, you never know if it will come in handy in the future.

I also plan on doing volunteer work in the same field (library) when I drop out of the workforce in a few years (planned dropout to stay home and raise children), to keep my work experience a bit current and up to date.

Wyndham
Jan 24, 2008, 08:36 PM
I decided since I should look professional, I'll be wearing a black turtleneck and jeans with a ponytail instead of my usual game tee shirt and hair spread out.
I tried the look, and i think it's spiffy.

Monochrome
Jan 25, 2008, 12:09 AM
Good for you! The world needs more volunteers.. I was a volunteer teacher's aide at an elementary school a few years ago. I lead half of a split class (first grade/second grade) and it was really rewarding. Granted, the kids walked all over me, but it was fun.

Wyndham
Jan 25, 2008, 02:16 PM
I was told I could rally help, because the age range is 9-16, because they merged two classes. the older class was short 2 people.

Wyndham
Jan 26, 2008, 05:35 PM
today went very well.
I helped a lot of students, talked with the parents, and afterwards, me and the teacher went to a mexican restaurant.
next week, I'm buying Chinese.

ABDUR101
Jan 26, 2008, 06:11 PM
Is the teacher hawt?

Wyndham
Jan 26, 2008, 06:15 PM
On 2008-01-26 15:11, ABDUR101 wrote:
Is the teacher hawt?

maybe to you, but not me. It's a guy.