PDA

View Full Version : Least favorite Sonic Team game

Frana
Jan 30, 2008, 11:01 AM
What do you think it is? I didn't like Sonic 2006, but neither did a lot of people. What do you think?

Jaspaller
Jan 30, 2008, 11:45 AM
Phantasy Star Universe

Powder Keg
Jan 30, 2008, 11:48 AM
Phantasy Star Online (Dreamcast Version 2 ONLY)

It was the most thrown together POS I have ever seen in all of gaming.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Artea on 2008-01-30 08:49 ]</font>

Wyndham
Jan 30, 2008, 12:08 PM
they made Sonic riders, right? I HATED that one.

CupOfCoffee
Jan 30, 2008, 01:42 PM
Uhh... pretty much all the Dreamcast-and-later Sonic games (with the possible exception of Sonic Adventure 1, just because it was so cool back then). I wasn't a big fan of PSU, but I only played it to about level ten and really had no idea what I was doing during that time, so I don't think I can really count that. Wow, yeah... I guess I don't even know what else Sonic Team has made. Must'a been really good stuff!

BlaizeYES
Jan 30, 2008, 02:58 PM
WORST= CHU CHU ROCKET

BEST= SAMBA DE AMIGO VER. 2000 WITH 2 PAIRS MARACAS TAG TEAM MODE AND THE BEACH VOLLEYBALL. AMAZING

Jife_Jifremok
Jan 30, 2008, 03:18 PM
Of all the Sega games I've played since the Dreamcast days, I've only liked Chu Chu Rocket, Panzer Dragoon Orta and Phantasy Star Universe (to an extent http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif). (Shenmue, well it's probably more MY fault I kept going to the arcade instead of looking for sailors. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)

Of the Sega games and demos I've played and have not been impressed by, tried really hard to like but couldn't, or just flat-out hated, I have no idea which ones were actually done by Sonic Team. This list includes Shinobi, Rez, GunValkyrie, Gungrave and maybe some other crap I've forgotten.

As for the ones I KNOW came from Sonic Team...well, Sonic and the Secret Rings was the worst in that trash pile, but even that might be better than some of the games I put in the "I dunno if it's ST" pile.

Darkly
Jan 30, 2008, 03:24 PM
erm, remember shadow the hedgehog?

Anduril
Jan 30, 2008, 04:24 PM
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg. I only played it for like 5 minutes and got sick of it. But I did love the song from the commercial.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Anduril on 2008-01-30 13:25 ]</font>

Randomness
Jan 30, 2008, 04:49 PM
Speaking only for what I've played, Sonic Adventure. The running around between areas got really boring about the time you got halfway done.

(I've mostly only played PSO, PSU, and Sonic games from them though)

Nitro Vordex
Jan 30, 2008, 04:59 PM
Sonic Heroes sucked. Shadow the Hedgehog was okay, and I mean really iffy. Music was awesome though.

The best were Genesis Sonic 1, 2, 3(with and without lockon) SA1 and 2(screw anyone who thinks otherwise) and, wasn't Power Stone made from ST? That was friggin' sweet!
Side note: I don't know if ST made it, but Vigilante: 2nd Offense, IMO, way better than Twisted Metal.
*Equips Flame Barrier*

Sinue_v2
Jan 30, 2008, 05:58 PM
wasn't Power Stone made from ST?

Capcom. But it was on the Dreamcast.

Least favorite Sonic Team game? Christ, that's a hard one. Pretty much all of the Sonic games past SA1 for consoles. SA1 wasn't even all that great, but it was enjoyable despite it's flaws. Shit like treasure hunting with Knuckles in SA1 & 2 really killed those characters for me. And I think that ST would be much better served making their 3D sonic games like their 2D sonic games - wherein you go through the same levels with ALL characters, but their special abilities are used to reach certain areas specific only to that character.

Billy Hatcher blew pretty hard. Blue Burst was already stale and old on arrival despite being the definitive version of PSO, and a lack of offline mode is a deterrant. PSU has promise, but is continually bungled and mis-managed... and the art direction/atmosphere flat out sucks and feels even more distant from the PS series than PSIII. Never played Chu Chu rocket. Samba De Amigo was actually pretty fun. Hmm... Dr. Robotniks Mean Bean Machine was a horrible Sonic game (but a competant Puyo Puyo game, like it originally was). Sonic Shuffle was pretty bad...

I dunno, it's too hard to tell. Sonic Team has made some great titles in the past, but the vast majority of their shit is just garbage almost beyond compare. Honestly, I think they are the least talented development team at Sega - and the only reason why anybody gives a shit about them is because of a handful of decent Sonic Games and a legacy left over from the Genesis era. Especially now that Yuji Naka is gone.

Sega has far better talent in their reserves - and they do still have a big-name drawing power and loads of well loved franchises if they chose to focus their efforts right. Why they aren't, is beyond me. They couldn't manage their buisness on their own, but I wonder if it wasn't Bankruptcy - but the merger with Sammy that finally killed them.

Weeaboolits
Jan 30, 2008, 06:00 PM
Sonic 3D Blast.

And no, Vigilante 8 was not made by Sega.

Noblewine
Jan 30, 2008, 08:00 PM
Any of the Sonic Advance games for the GBA. They are too easy to beat regardless of the fact that you can change the difficulty. That didn't impress me much.

Scrub
Jan 30, 2008, 08:08 PM
Sonic's Spinball.

I loved all the other genesis Sonic games, even Sonic 3D Blast and Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, but Sonic's Spinball? THAT GAME WAS DAMN HARD.

On the rare occassion I got past the 1st level, I'd only have one life left, and then I'd be screwed. Tough ass game made it no fun to play.

AlexCraig
Jan 30, 2008, 08:10 PM
On 2008-01-30 08:45, Jaspaller wrote:
Phantasy Star Universe

Sharkyland
Jan 30, 2008, 08:17 PM
I agree with Scrub. Sonic Spinball.

Nitro Vordex
Jan 30, 2008, 09:54 PM
On 2008-01-30 17:10, AlexCraig wrote:

Phantasy Star Universe

Monochrome
Jan 31, 2008, 12:16 AM
On 2008-01-30 18:54, Nitro_Vordex wrote:

On 2008-01-30 17:10, AlexCraig wrote:

Phantasy Star Universe

It feels clunky; a pale imitation of the fantastic PSO. I never played it online, mind you. The story mode is terribly paced and just..ugh. Yes, I realize posting this on a PS based site is a bad idea, but it's what I think.

Never played Shadow though, maybe it's worse?

Sonic Riders plays horribly, but the music and design are excellent.

Sonic for X360/ps3 also seemed badly slapped together, and did nothing to advance the series beyond SA1 (and it played worse).

((I haven't played PSO online for maybe 3-4 years and I still regularly find myself wanting to play it, albeit offline.))

Darkly
Jan 31, 2008, 05:37 AM
shadow the hedgehog is the big rigs of sonic games.

Skuda
Jan 31, 2008, 06:14 AM
On 2008-01-30 17:17, Sharkyland wrote:
I agree with Scrub. Sonic Spinball.

Ditto here. The children of my parent's friends had the Sonic Spinball/Genesis bundle. Whenever the family went over to their house to visit, guess what was the only game avaliable to play. =_=

Yeah, Sonic Spinball... not for me.

Weeaboolits
Jan 31, 2008, 11:10 AM
I still have the une for the first stage burned into my brain. ~_~

Sharkyland
Jan 31, 2008, 03:21 PM
I beat Sonic Spinball, but the ending was way too short. If you thought the levels leading to the final level was a b----, try the final boss. >.>

Weeaboolits
Jan 31, 2008, 04:53 PM
Ever play the gamegear version of spinball? I take back what I said about 3D Blast, that was definitely worse.

VanHalen
Jan 31, 2008, 05:05 PM
Shadow The Hedgehog and Sonic 2 for Gamegear.

The Gamegear Sonic 2 just annoyed me with certain stuff when I was little. If you managed to collect 100 rings it will reset you back to 0. So you just wasted your extra life if there are no rings near you and some robot chasing you down. The boss stages had no rings in them what so ever and the first boss was the most annoying. I should replay it someday to see if it was just because I was younger it was difficult.

Shadow the Hedgehog well every level started out looking fun but then just started getting bad.

UnderscoreX
Jan 31, 2008, 09:00 PM
My understanding is the Game Gear version is the same as the Master System if so WHAT THE HELL VAN?!!@! That game was easy and it had the crazy death egg zone at the end which was awesome.

Actual worst game, that stupid 3D fighter where you just hit the win button over and over again.

Frana
Feb 1, 2008, 09:11 PM
Ok... a lot of people hated shadow, but it wasn't that bad (on GCN) it just wasn't a good sonic game. Spinball was bad, my favorite part of it was actually the guitar riff at the options menu. A lot of people were hating on PSU, too. I understand this, but I don;t think it's horrible (considering I bought it last week, and yes, PSO is way better) And to who ever said that they kept going to the arcade, play shenmue 2, it has a couple more arcade (and way more mini) games than the first one. And Darklyyou are the only person I have ever came across who's played big rigs other than me, my friend got it for his birthday, the box is a horrible lie and if you go into reverse, you can go over the sound barrier. That is the worst game of all time.

Seira7
Feb 1, 2008, 09:15 PM
anything after the SAMMY merge?

Frana
Feb 1, 2008, 09:22 PM
On 2008-02-01 18:15, Seira7 wrote:
anything after the SAMMY merge?

Touche. (pronounced too-chae, I hope I spelled that right...)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Frana on 2008-02-01 18:26 ]</font>

Weeaboolits
Feb 1, 2008, 09:41 PM
On 2008-02-01 18:15, Seira7 wrote:
anything after the SAMMY merge?Yeah, pretty much.

KaneKahn
Feb 1, 2008, 10:37 PM
Phantasy Star Universe

Quote For Truth. It lacks the feel and joy that PSO offers/offered.