PDA

View Full Version : The classic

Pirox-Hunter
Jan 30, 2008, 06:23 PM
well, i think wich is true that wich say, Nothing like the first, because in of all the improvement`s in the game always the stay whit the feeling of the classic, but is just my opinion.

KaneKahn
Jan 30, 2008, 07:53 PM
No you fail. Phantasy Star 4: End of the Millennium > all.

Alis-Landeel
Feb 2, 2008, 02:15 PM
On 2008-01-30 15:23, Pirox-Hunter wrote:
well, i think wich is true that wich say, Nothing like the first, because in of all the improvement`s in the game always the stay whit the feeling of the classic, but is just my opinion.

Quote!
PS1 is the only J-RPG where you can complete every part of the main quest in the order that you preferred. This confers to the game a great feeling of freedom. The other PS and all the J-RPG to the comparison seem like on railroad. Moreover PS1 is amusing to play. Also without the support of a complex storyline. PS4 is most linear of the entire series. And most canonical. It is my last choice.

Jife_Jifremok
Feb 4, 2008, 02:04 AM
PS1 was the last PS game for me to have played and beaten, yet it became my favorite almost instantly after reaching a certain point not very far into the game. There is a certain feel to it that no other PS game has, or even any other JRPG I've played. The first-person dungeons give a sense of oldschool badassness after beating them---without the horrendously boring combat of Pool of Radiance or harrowing grind factor of Wizardry: Trials of the Mad Overlord. It's like Phantasy Star knows damn well its combat is turn-based thus requiring no skill, so it doesn't throw too much unnecessary "difficulty" into the combat nor does it rely heavily on die rolls, for characters become able to consistently dodge attacks and not miss when they're powerful enough; and it knows it's primitive so it doesn't even pretend to require strategy (which in most JRPGs is unnecessary anyway). All the thinking you need to do is outside of battle...and in the dungeons if you're one of those "I don't need no stinking map" types like me.

PSII...well here's where the series starts getting ugly and has to rely on its unique merits to stay afloat in the face of other games. Those dungeons are hard to navigate, yet with a sharp mind you can figure out which way to go even if you haven't been there before. Its story is dark. Really dark. These two features alone make up for the sloooow battles and flashing red lights in Tron-esque backdrops, clunky interface, and HUUUUGE grind factor if you're playing the original Genesis version. If you're playing this on Sega Genesis Collection for the PS2, the grind factor is significantly lowered. There's also a save state feature...while I normally view this as a form of cheating, but you'll kiss this feature when a random encounter has a really powerful enemy formation getting the first attack and wiping out your party. Yeah, you can die entirely by bad luck sometimes. This game's awesome but it sucks at the same time.

PSIII...ouch. It has its ups and downs but it's easily the worst in the series despite being different, not because of being different. Great ideas, poor execution. I don't feel like sounding off on this one, much like Sonic Team didn't feel like making this one. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

PSIV was awesome for its time, but it feels like a generic JRPG now. Well, the best damn generic JRPG I've played, and the only generic JRPG I can still play. Its story becomes the most cliched since Alis's appropriately cliched ending, but puts a pretty nice spin on the cliche pitfalls it falls into. The character interaction still trumps most JRPGs even today simply because they're interesting. No generic JRPG has ever had better-looking or playing combat. No grind factor whatsoever, SOME semblance of strategy I guess (maybe). But, in the end it feels like Just Another JRPG in the flooded sea so I rank it below PS1 but above PS3.

HUnewearl_Meira
Feb 15, 2008, 11:35 AM
On 2008-02-03 23:04, Jife_Jifremok wrote:
PSIII...ouch. It has its ups and downs but it's easily the worst in the series despite being different, not because of being different. Great ideas, poor execution. I don't feel like sounding off on this one, much like Sonic Team didn't feel like making this one. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

The only real problem with PSIII is the execution of the game. If recreated today, with a budget large enough to take full advantage of today's technology, we'd wind up with a very, very interesting game. The biggest issues with the game come from animation and articulation of the story. The enemies use very little animation, so despite being rather well-drawn, they hardly move at all, making them fairly uninteresting to look at. The story itself could've been brought out quite a bit more, if only they didn't have multiple NPCs say the same damn lines, over and over. I understand that in the Japanese version, there was a great deal of NPC chitter-chatter that basically just got thrown away in the English-language version. Curious, that.

Reipard
Feb 15, 2008, 02:44 PM
PS3's problem was that it was a great idea with incredibly stupid execution http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif. A rewrite is certainly in order, mainly because it gets Dark Force way wrong (Example: Dark Force not only talks frequently, he also has one liners and a cheesy cartoon bad guy personality!) and also has an incredible flair for being blunt as a hammer with nothing having any impact whatsoever.

NPC Chatter wouldn't have changed it much. It would still be what it is: a great example of what happens when you have no budget and don't care.

I agree that a remake is in order. PS3's is a story that needs to be told right with a world that could be incredible.