PDA

View Full Version : The greatest Final Fantasy ever is Crystal Chronicles!

Saner
Jan 31, 2008, 01:10 AM
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (Gamecube).
I just beat that and it blows away all the other FF games. And one of the best RPGs!

yeah it's not as "epic" as the ones that exaggerate their travels, but it provided our own personal story and experience with a plot twist and antagonist that surpasses ALL OTHER VILLAINS.
They would be doomed before they can even attack.
People can assume what it is but perceiving what
it is exactly, and how tragic everyone has suffered
because of it, truly nails a sense of despair
and sorrow deep in your heart.

the whole finale pulls the carpet underneath you and smacks ya with a nuclear wave of reality.

This is no mere cycle of collecting myrrh to replenish a village's crystal just to keep
a lethal mist at bay......

and before you say it's a game that requires multiplayer to enjoy, you're wrong, I soloed it and had an even more amazing experience with it
(although the more help the better).

And that's another thing, the theme is so fresh and brilliant. It's a true fantasy in
every sense of the word. Magic is so limitless that those forces are easily drawn in and
channel through your very fingertips, with the world's energy so powerful and everlasting

The role of a crystal caravaner is truly humble and unique. You aren't the typical
mercenary out of money, or protecting a specific person, or someone out for vengeance, or waging a war against another side.
You simply go on journeys to collect a substance that will keep your village/town's crystal shining to protect them from the deadly mist (miasma).

Despite the fog that plagues the world, it is a fairly peaceful world (despite the battles involving monsters). The tribes/races each have a healthy history, and its great how the game lets you choose the name of your town and create your own character (yourself), although you make many choices, through the diary, you begin to learn more about your "self" as well. It's really your own personal story within
a world that has its own stories and main plot that
is the driving force behind the world's dilemma.

And another thing is that you have a complete family, who even write letters to you
and supply you with stuff for your next journey. This kind of bond has never been experienced in a Final Fantasy before at this level.

And the music is so lovely and prestine.
Fields of Fum made me snuggle a pillow. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif
the entire soundtrack is true to the atmosphere
of this wonderful world that even rivals the
magical artistry of Legend of Mana.

And the narrator is the most astronomically
magnificent narrator I ever heard in a game. She sounds like a lady who can read the most boring books ever, yet her voice would make those words the most FASCINATING things you ever heard. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

While its entirely possible to complete the story solo, it's awesome that this is the first FF to support up to 4 players co-op, yeah the gba controller requirements are unfair (they shoulda supported gamecube controllers for multiplayer), but aside from that, I have read about people who enjoyed the multiplayer aspect with others.

it's a long and puzzling journey that seems to never end, until you solve the core element
that grants you the key to the ULTIMATE CLIMAX. even then you will need the power
and skill to overcome what's there, and beyond........

well I'm glad I didnt spoil the story before I played through it, but I must say it's an
extremely super awesome adventure in a world
that cries out for true peace and harmony.

And the final battle......witnessing the most jawdropping shocker of an experience, and the music..........blows away everything else out of the water. I was in tears with how beautiful and ominous everything became. and the true ultimate weapon, is what you least expect in how it is used......
The last fight made me tremble I almost cried at what was at stake. ;_; and you have no idea
where the last fight takes place.

which is to say, most people probably don't even get
to the climax cause they are spent wondering if it's
just a repetitious game of dungeon, beat boss,
collect myrrh, repeat 3 times, then do the same next
year in dungeons that have trees you can collect
a drop from.

Well that's a basic summary of it, but it becomes so much more than that. plus it doesn't take that
long to get to some really beneficial stats (completed it in less than 40 hours)
but you only really need over 55 strength, defense
at least 65, magic above 40, and memories at least
80 to stand a better chance.

Well, the only 2 miffs are one or two puzzles that
made me bonkers. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif But once you understand, things get better again. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif The combat is actually
pretty demanding in skill, cause in many cases, avoiding damage is essential to survive long enough to deliver an effective assault. most cases people
can win over pure stats, but in others, they better
sharpen their Zelda/Secret of Mana reflexes.

but overall, the weapon, armor and accessory system
is not difficult to figure out. They help with
damage and resistance, but I beat the last bosses
with just Excalibur (3rd best), Eternal Armor, and
a Frost Shield. thankfully the material drops are
more generous than PSO and PSU combined. although the Artifact unlocking is sometimes decent
and other times challenging.

but anyways, just wanted to share this info, maybe
someone might try it, make it the whole way through,
and appreciate its greatness (and yep there
is stuff going on during the credits and after too. what a way to cherish the awesomeness). http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

(oh ya, Iw ould ignore those upcoming CC games, I doubt they could make another crystal chronicles type game that can match this masterpiece. but
who knows.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2008-01-30 22:14 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2008-01-30 23:31 ]</font>

Cz
Jan 31, 2008, 02:41 AM
sounds nice. i might have to give it a try. i have the game, but i have to find some spare time to play it. *almost fainted from the long wall of text* j/k http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Skuda
Jan 31, 2008, 04:45 AM
Crystal Chronicles is by FAR one of my favorite games. Not to mention it's soundtrack completely phenominal. This is the only game I have ever sat for 3 whole days playing (I knew I had to call it quits when I started passing out in the middle of the Zombie Dragon fight...).

As Saner already said, the personal feel you get from the game is really astounding. It truly feels like it's your journey, or your group's journey if you choose to play with friends. That's why I was a little sad when I saw the trailers for some of the new Crystal Chronicles games.

From what I get from it, you don't make your own characters. All the characters already seem to have their own preset backstory, their own preset personality, and their own preset appearance. While that's not necessarily bad, it's just not Crystal Chronicles. I'm likely to still buy the next few games, but without that charm of it being your own journey, it may leave me feeling hollow at the end. :/

amtalx
Jan 31, 2008, 07:32 AM
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree... I played with a few of my friends using the whole GBA link feature (105% useless) and after more gameplay hours that I'd like to admit, this game NEVER gets deeper than the first 15 minutes. The stat system means abosolutely nothing. Even in an "endgame" scenario, after I had leveled my character as a pure fighter, I wasn't doing any more melee damage than any other class.

One of the best features of traditional FF games is heavy character development. By the end of your 80+ hour journey, you actually care about what happens to the cast because you were there for all the struggles. None of that here. The story amounts to what you get from the manual and the cute little vignettes (which you end up seing about 100 times if you play for a while.)

Almost all of the traditional FF games with their epic storyline and character development far outclass this game, which just ended up being an unecessary departure from a formula that generally works.

Saner
Jan 31, 2008, 01:45 PM
RAWR! You will care about the inhabitants of CC's world! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

as for the stat system, I only tied Clavat, but maybe your friends
were training to be fighters too, so every tribe has the potential
to excel at any class. but there are differences cause I have beaten
monsters much faster with the stats and gears I ended up with,
than what I had a while ago.

seriously,
it may all appear to be the same cycle each year. And I haven't
proceeded to the final dungeon until my stats were high enough
(which was on the 12th year, even though I found the key element
before the 9th year.) but it does get better! only that it really
changes and massively improves at the final dungeon and beyond.
but still the journeys for myrrh before that are still cool.

the game saves the real threat and source
until the very end, and it not only affects you but everyone else as
well! your family, the townspeople, the caravans, everyone!

you can't weigh the full blown "epicness" of the other games with
this one, cause this one is a tragedy that has spanned GENERATIONS. Even the people you didn't meet, the finale makes you aware of everyone that came before you and the fact that their struggles all ended in failure. Restoring the crystals with myrrh
is an empty victory compared to ridding the world of miasma
completely. And look who has suffered because of it, not just
the Black Knight, Gurdy, your family, but everyone!

the other FF games go deeper in development in individuals,
but Crystal Chronicles encompasses the whole world throughout
generations, and delivers a more POWERFUL message, which hints
of it are heard from people like Hurdy and Stilzskin. And above all,
Mio herself.

despite the gameplay and character development "simplicity", CC
is a colossal work of art in it's design and especially in its story.
That is not to say that the other FFs are no good.
But Crystal Chronicles delivers more of an impact that's both full of hardship and meaningful mysteries that truly makes it a class of its own. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Nai_Calus
Jan 31, 2008, 02:11 PM
You haven't played FFVI, have you.

Jaspaller
Jan 31, 2008, 03:06 PM
FF4 is by far my favorite.

SubstanceD
Jan 31, 2008, 03:13 PM
Are we talking about Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles on the Gamecube?

It was an okay game but I wouldn't call it the greatest Final fantasy game ever ( although I would concede that I was as addicted to playing it as I was PSO for the first 2 weeks ). Crystal Chronicles had too many minor flaws for it to truly be a classic. As much as I loved it at times there were also times when it annoyed me and I felt like it was a chore to play. Admittedly I haved never played it mulitplayer, maybe it makes the game more enjoyable ( I doubt it due to that stupid chalice and the Miasma. As I said earlier, a lot of minor flaws that just hurt the game too much ).

Sharkyland
Jan 31, 2008, 03:18 PM
I don't like solo. More players the higher the difficulty!

Saner
Jan 31, 2008, 04:04 PM
MEWY MEW MEEEWWW! XD

I played FFVI, FF4, I completed them all, so I know wat I'm talking about. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

but ya, it's an opinion. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Pengfishh
Jan 31, 2008, 05:02 PM
Multiplayer would have been great without the GBAs. I enjoyed playing with my little brother, but we've both got DS now... Was a great game, however. Never did finish it... I just might. I could probably find it for less than five dollars used, easy. Matter fact, why not.

UnderscoreX
Jan 31, 2008, 09:02 PM
A Final Fantasy without Belts and Zippers isn't really a Final Fantasy.

Mewnie
Feb 1, 2008, 01:25 AM
Needing a GBA was instant fail to me.

Saner
Feb 1, 2008, 02:57 AM
I completed it without ever using a GBA. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif it isnt required.

amtalx
Feb 1, 2008, 07:31 AM
You only need GBAs if you want to play with multiple people, which is pretty much the only way this game is enjoyable. Single player feels like chewing razor blades. Carry that stupid miasma thing around by myself? No thanks.

The worst part is the feature is COMPLETELY useless. All it does is give you a minimap and tell you what task you have to complete for bonus points. They could have put that on screen or in the pause menu, and saved me 2.5 hours of driving around trying to find 3 of those damn link cables that nobody carries because they are pointless.

Jaspaller
Feb 1, 2008, 11:20 AM
GBA idea was failsauce. I put this game down after 10 minutes of play.

Masou
Feb 1, 2008, 12:08 PM
i prefer FFVI aka FFIII

Seira7
Feb 1, 2008, 02:18 PM
I love this game but everythings so tiny in it! Except my selkies boobs o.o

Feelmirath
Feb 1, 2008, 03:23 PM
On 2008-02-01 04:31, amtalx wrote:
You only need GBAs if you want to play with multiple people, which is pretty much the only way this game is enjoyable. Single player feels like chewing razor blades. Carry that stupid miasma thing around by myself? No thanks.

The worst part is the feature is COMPLETELY useless. All it does is give you a minimap and tell you what task you have to complete for bonus points. They could have put that on screen or in the pause menu, and saved me 2.5 hours of driving around trying to find 3 of those damn link cables that nobody carries because they are pointless.

1) In solo mode, you can get your moogle to do that for you. SLAVERY IS A GOOD THING http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

2) The use of the GBA screen was more so that everyone can adjust their command pallet without disturbing the flow of the action for the other players. Putting everything on the pause screen would just be annoying in my opinion.

Pengfishh
Feb 1, 2008, 04:05 PM
The use of the four face buttons of the Gamecube controller would have been fine. A to attack, B to pick up items, X and Y for items/spells. On screen display that isn't a pause menu (think, um, PSU) would have worked wonders, simply telling folks what the bonus for the level was at the beginning of the level would have been nice, and using a transparent, onscreen map would have done nice.

But, as it stands, whatever. I'm gonna go pick this up later today because I CAN!

Saner
Feb 1, 2008, 04:06 PM
ya. they still shoulda supported GC controllers for multiplayer.
it's nice GBA adds streaming features to avoid frequent pausing,
but it feels natural using just a GC controller in single player. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

the only drawback is that you can't see the "bonus requirements"
when you enter a dungeon to score more pts for harder to get artifacts. but overall, it's still well done. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Pengfishh
Feb 1, 2008, 04:11 PM
Actually, you can, Saner. Just plug the GBA into a different slot on the 'cube.

Randomness
Feb 1, 2008, 04:40 PM
Ah, FFCC. Loved it. Sadly, the down button on my GBA is busted, so... can't replay it.

Amazing game... absolutely amazing.

Though, the final boss gets ridiculously easy with two people and teamwork. Basically, for the three rounds (Counting Parasite as one fight):

1-I heal, my friend smashed the thing up (Though I did work the tentacles over to keep a safe spot in the final part of it)
2-Kill the blue minion, run circles around the red one while my friend runs BEHIND the boss to kill it. It conveniently targets me almost all the time and I cure it all away
3-Basically, whoever doesn't have a chunk of ??? plays healer, and we went to town on him.

We beat the Parasite 2nd or 3rd try (After switching to me playing White Mage for the fight), Raem 1st try, final round 2nd try.

Truth be told, the boss of Conall Curach is harder. Actually, Conall Curach in general is harder.

Can't wait for the DS one... And I'm praying it lives up to my expectations.

Kent
Feb 2, 2008, 01:35 AM
Granted, Crystal Chronicles is underrated by many, but the fact that you need a GBA per person and enough link cables to go around did severely limit the game.

Not everyone likes having to cycle through what the A button does, instead of just having a different button for it - bad control schemes are one of the biggest killers of good game ideas (e.g. Armored Core), but unlike the given example, this game turns out to actually be pretty fun, despite that the control scheme is not the best there is.

Of course, it's not the best Final Fantasy ever. That title belongs to FFXII, but everyone's entitled to their opinions.

Shadowpawn
Feb 2, 2008, 01:39 AM
On 2008-02-01 22:35, Kent wrote:

Of course, it's not the best Final Fantasy ever. That title belongs to FFT, but everyone's entitled to their opinions.

>_>

Dre_o
Feb 2, 2008, 02:37 AM
Personally, I loved Chronicles as well. Granted, it's GBA controls were kinda bad (note, my brothers and I all had a GBA before hand)

It has such a freakishly difficult puzzle required to...reach the ending..if you aren't a freak who takes notes of everything and checks everything.

One day I'll have to replay it and pay better attention to the stories though, I was rather young minded when we played it.