PDA

View Full Version : GC: Advice: What type of hunter should I play?

Lemming1st
Jan 15, 2003, 04:01 AM
Howdy. First off, it's nice to be back after a one year hiatus. It's good to see that a few of the regulars are still around. Ok, now on to the main subject.

I've been playing PSO since the DC ver1 release date and have always played a RaCaseal. After three versions of the game and approximatly 800 hours of running away from enemies, I'm ready to try out a hunter. The thing is, I'm not too sure on what class to play. I'm hoping ya'll can give me some insight/advice on what I should try. Thanks.

MonoxideChild
Jan 15, 2003, 05:05 AM
HUcast since you would probably have the most experience with droids.

RedFox
Jan 15, 2003, 05:45 AM
or a HUcaseal... (bites tounge) they're both similar

Sheba
Jan 15, 2003, 11:39 AM
HUnewearl, because they can use most spells, many guns, and all swords.

Alena Zouryx
Jan 15, 2003, 12:00 PM
I used to play a HUnewearl on DC v1, so I definately have to suggest the HUnewearl. Why? *ahem*

If you compare the stats of the HUnewearl to the HUmar, she dominates 4 out of the 5 stats. Plus, she has the highest MST of the non-Force character and is able to cast Shifta and Deband.

She has the second highest evasion in the game (if not the highest) and a great defense. Her Hp is low, but the evasion more than makes up for it.

Her ATP is lower than the other Hunters, but equip her with a dagger-series weapon to make up for it. (Or just give her a power mag and give her a Dark Flow or something, I dunno.)

But most definately, you should choose a HUnewearl. (Even though I think that Hunters are WAY too over played and there should be more FOmarls and RAcaseals...very underestimated characters.)

Neifan
Jan 15, 2003, 12:09 PM
HUcaseals are good too. Like HUnewearls, they're not very strong, but they have high evasion, the best ATA of any non-RAnger, and arguably the best attack animations in the game. Plus, as stated before, you have more experience with androids. Don't ignore the other HU's, though. HUcast has the highest ATP in the entire game, and the third highest HP, and HUmars are balanced and easy to use. Depends on what's most important to you, I guess.

AnimalMother
Jan 15, 2003, 12:38 PM
Hunewearls are by far the most versatile of all hunters. You can do a little bit of everything, shoot stuff, hit stuff, blast stuff, heal stuff and shifta+deband. If you plan on playing in Ultimate, and you don't have online capabilities or if you are more of the solo type. I would seriously look into a non-android Hunter. I got so incredibly frustrated with my Hucast in Ultimate that I decided to just sideline him and start a Force and a Hunewearl.

MaJin
Jan 15, 2003, 12:44 PM
Its depend on if ur goin play online or offline. If online then Huny/Hucaseal/Hucast they all good.

If u think ur goin to do alot of offline i think Huny is best, as for HUmar.. i dunno, theres too many online.

It will all come down to ur play style, create all 4.. play around and see wich HUs u enjoy playing most.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MaJin on 2003-01-15 09:46 ]</font>

Elusive_Llama
Jan 15, 2003, 01:47 PM
I'd definitely recommend either the Hunewearl (1st choice) or the Humar. Having no techs as a Ranger isn't so bad, since you can stand at a distance and shoot, or you can do the doorway sniper jig. Things are different for a hunter. Sure they can use handguns, but handguns pale in comparison to the sort of damage you can dish out using a doublesaber-weapon, or a sword-weapon. It is not uncommon to do a 6-hit combo which does 450dmg per hit, for a total of approx. 2700 dmg. And if you get a critical in there, the total goes up.

To do that sort of damage, you have to stand toe to toe with monsters, which also means you'll want monsters to have less DFP and less ATP. You also want to have higher ATP and higher DFP, plus the all important ability to bust out heals like no tomorrow. Believe me, you'll be healing alot as a hunter.

To accomplish all the above, you need techniques. The Humar can do everything except increase his ATP and DFP. The Hunewearl is, by far, the better of the two when it comes to techs. She can learn up to level 20 techs and cast everything except reverser, grants and megid. It also helps her MST is so dang high for a hunter AND she has tp regen. You ever seen a Hunny's tp regen at level 100+? You gain approx. 3tp a second standing still.

The only drawbacks to her are the relatively low HP compared to other hunters, and the lowest ATP of the hunter class.

Don't let that discourage you. After all, if you get hit you can always heal up and continue kicking ass. If you find you're not doing as much damage as other hunters, that's normal. If you want to one-up them, just cast shifta and voila, you're on par or better (except vs the HUcast, of course, who has insane ATP anyway).

Another advantage is the ability to fit into any role you choose and do pretty good too. You can stroll into a game with, say, 3 androids and you'll be the technique support. Except you're a hunewearl, so that means you can take hits and dish out servings of pain while healing/spam-casting.

If the game happens to have technique support in the form of a force, then you just lend a helping hand now and then while concentrating on being a hunter. You are now freed of the problem of hoping somebody will back you up in an online game, AND you can take care of yourself if you happen to get separated.

Even if you play alot of offline, she can do extremely well.

It's all about the techs, y'all.

Advantages of Hunewearl:
1. Very high MST for a Hunter
2. TP regen
3. Level 20 techs
4. Ability to do everything
5. Great costume design

Disadvantages of Hunewearl:
1. Lowest ATP of Hunter class (bah, just cast shifta/zalure)
2. Lowest HP of Hunter class (bah, just cast deband/jellen, and use lots of restas)

As you might have guessed, techniques are a Hunewearl's best friends. To get around the problem of not being able to fit all the techniques on your hotkeys, here's a good setup which also eliminates the problem of picking up crap while in the middle of a fight:

Hotkey bank #1
--------------
Bottom left: normal attack
Middle: hard attack
Top right: resta

Hotkey bank #2
--------------
Bottom left: either monomate, dimate or trimate
Middle: area effect spell (rabarta, rafoie, razonde)
Top right: jellen

When you run into a bunch of enemies, just cast jellen and go to town on them.

Also, set up your technique list by highlighting a spell and pressing X to swap it with another spell in the list. Use this to customize your technique list to your liking.

Sheesh, i should make this into a guide or something.

TeamPhalanx
Jan 15, 2003, 02:31 PM
HUcaseal - Hands down the BEST low level character. With HUnter ATP and RAnger ATA, she mows down enemies like no one else can. Her weakness is that she reaches the ceiling really fast. She's also probably the worst solo/offline character.

A good character if you're only planning to play around a 100 hours or so.

HUcast - The king of all HUnter... If you're willing to put in the time. No one is close to his ATP and his HP is one of the highest in the game. Just remember to pay more attention to ATA raising units and the Mag's DEX.

Probably the best HUnter in the long run - As long as you play online.

HUnewearl - Quite possibly the best solo/offline character around. Her HUnter stats are limiting, so, if other HUnters are on the team, she's best suited to play the role of FOrce, which she can.

Good for those offline players, but note that you'll struggle early on in the game as her growth is very slow.

HUmar - Probably the easiest character to play in the game. Good ATP, HP, ATA, growth, and can use resta. Nicely balanced, has the 2nd highest ATP, only trailing the mighty HUcast. Can handle himself both online and offline.

Coverboy's back and while he isn't the runaway favorite as the best character this time, he's still up there with the best. Excellent stats and growth, and while he may trail HUnewearl in the solo/offline play, he still has the superior HUnter stats (ATP, HP, ATA)

Elusive_Llama
Jan 15, 2003, 03:44 PM
Humar's max ATA is only 2 points higher than Hunny's, I think. As for ATP...shifta is the great equalizer, and then some. Throw in a level 20 zalure for more fun. 'course...if they both get the same level shifta, Humar is better, but that is assuming the Humar will get shifta, whereas the Hunny is a definite.

Sol-Invictus
Jan 15, 2003, 04:46 PM
If you like hitting things: HUcast or HUcaseal.

If you like being versitile, HUnewearl.

If you lke sucking and being generic: HUmar.

Toyzferall
Jan 15, 2003, 05:57 PM
I'm not gonna give long-winded theories on anything, because I'm not too bright... But I say that HUcasts are the shiznit. They look cool, the ATP is insane, and early on, they're easy. Most people consider HUmars to be the newbie character... But I think the HUcast is. Well, for the first... 30-or-so levels. Then their ATA problem becomes apparent, and a HUmar should have decent Resta-abilities by then. Then HUmars become the easy class. Anyways, if you do some decent tweaking... And you get some support while playing online... The HUcast is unstoppable. This is so even at lower levels ((30-50)) but becomes even more apparent in Ult. Grab yerself a Sword/Partisan, a D/S buddy, and yer good to go. Of course... The new addition of HUcaseals is cool... They have the BEST combo animations ((Except their Saber combo.. Blegh.)) Oh, and, not to mention you'll have the character with the nicest butt in the game running in front of you. ((I don't CARE if she's an android! ^.^;; )) HUnewearls... Some people SWEAR by them... But I think they're almost as overpopulated as HUmars. And, they're just not my playing style.

haterade
Jan 15, 2003, 07:45 PM
Elusive_Llama pretty much covered why the HUnewearl is THE best HU character. Offline? Expect dominance, especially with a high level S/D/J/Z. Online? Dominance with a high DEX > POW > MIND <=25 mag, guaranteed. Not as strong as a HUcast? Meh. Shifta pushes you past two HU classes (they can't cast S/D lol), and quite close to the most powerful one. I just treat support techs like clothing: always put 'em on before I go somewhere http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif The HUne is a semi-FO this time around, and this has pushed her capabilities to an all new scale.

Kasera
Jan 15, 2003, 08:41 PM
On 2003-01-15 09:00, Alena_Zouryx wrote:
If you compare the stats of the HUnewearl to the HUmar, she dominates 4 out of the 5 stats.

HUnewearl doesn't dominate anything but mst. Her atp and ata growth and max are lower than HUmar. Her evade growth is even a little lower than HUmar. Her terrible ata growth means you'll have to either always invest in a lot of /arm units, or have around 100 dex on a mag, even at level 200. Not to mentiont that HUmar gets to use 100 more materials than her, maxing him pretty easy to max, and HUnewearl the hardest class to max in the entire game.

She has the second highest evasion in the game (if not the highest)

Max evade list

RAmarl: 900
FOnewearl: 883
HUcaseal: 877
HUnewearl: 811

Pretty big gap from the top 3 to number 4

Elusive_Llama
Jan 15, 2003, 08:44 PM
My Hunewearl is never without shifta/deband on. Why let that tp sit there when you can put it to work protecting and enhancing your character?

Hunter4life
Jan 23, 2003, 08:31 PM
OK guys, do me a favor and stop dissin the HuMar. He is an average character true. But, he can get 250 material, has attack 2nd to the HuCast, and, while the most common character, still has formidible stats. By the way, what gun can a HuNewarl use that a HuMar can't? (Although i will admit she has better ATA than HuMar)

ishitori
Jan 24, 2003, 06:35 PM
So I see lots of people here saying HUcaseals are hard to play at higher levels (for us offline folks) and I've been finding that to be eerily true. I have both a HUnewearl and a HUcaseal. My HUnewearl is level 76 and is in vhard, but my HUcaseal is lvl 42 and in hard. I'm _really_ concerned about how to get the HUcaseal past the final form of dark falz. When I took him on with my HUnewearl, she had to totally revert to gifoie since she couldn't seem to hit him with a gun (even when he wasn't blue). How can an offline android slay dark falz's final form?

Heh. So I don't recommend HUcaseals... even though they look really cool. The HUnewearl has been a mixed bag. Sometimes it seems like she just isn't strong enough to deal with the monsters, but then she works through whatever personal difficulties she's having and starts kicking butt again. Like when I got her to the hard ruins, those claws could not hit her. She could be surrounded by them, but they would never successfully hit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ishitori on 2003-01-24 17:53 ]</font>