PDA

View Full Version : Good FPS games for Wii?

Ketchup345
Feb 3, 2008, 01:22 AM
I am normally not an FPS fan, but the obvious abilities of the controls of the Wii make me think this is the system that will make me enjoy them more than any other.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what ones would be best to consider? So far, Metroid Prime 3 and Call of Duty 3 have received good reviews from what I've seen.

SATatami
Feb 3, 2008, 01:30 AM
Red Steel was alright. Worth the rent and not the buy. Haven't tried any others yet though. MP3's good, but it's kinda... Ehh... some say it's the best one, some say it's the worst... I'd say it was about as good as 1.

Ketchup345
Feb 3, 2008, 01:40 AM
I probably should have mentioned I have never played a Metroid game (minus any say 5 minute things in a store or quickly at a friend's house) or Call of Duty Game. The only FPS games I've played extensively are Goldeneye and Timesplitters 2.

Shadowpawn
Feb 3, 2008, 01:45 AM
Metroid is more of an FP adventure game then an FPS.

SATatami
Feb 3, 2008, 01:45 AM
On 2008-02-02 22:40, Ketchup345 wrote:
I probably should have mentioned I have never played a Metroid game (minus any say 5 minute things in a store or quickly at a friend's house) or Call of Duty Game. The only FPS games I've played extensively are Goldeneye and Timesplitters 2.

Metroid isn't really FPS. It's a FPA. First Person Adventure. Don't except it to be like timesplitters, hich rocked btw. It's still a good play though, I recommend at least renting it.

darkante
Feb 3, 2008, 02:12 AM
Althought Metroid Prime serie is not a FPS.
The third part still functions very well with the wii-mote.
Aiming and other things.

And if you havenīt tried any of the MP serie.
I really recommend you try the original MP first.
Really good serie althogether! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Sinue_v2
Feb 3, 2008, 03:31 AM
OP, you might like Resident Evil Chronicles - although it's more of a rail shooter than an FPS, I've heard it makes decent use of the Wiimote and is pretty fun to play.

Now, on a tangent...

First Person Adventure.

I really don't see the similarities between Metroid Prime and MYST - and the sheer fact that most of the puzzles in Metroid involve some degree of shooting things like targets with the right type of weapon or in a specific order or simply changing forms to navigate a maze prevents me from seeing Metroid Prime as anything but a First Person Shooter with some adventure elements.

The adventure genre is one of the oldest and most well established genres in gaming history, and for a long time it ruled the PC gaming scene because it had a wonderful ability to tell fantastic storylines with deep character interaction, impliment quirky out-of-the-box thinking puzzles with a broad, detailed, and often dramatically changing environments to explore despite PC hardware being rather weak. However the focus on puzzles and mental tasks coupled with the lack of action and shooting things didn't sit well with your "average console gaming thickie" (to use Yahtzee's vernacular) who was too used to simply pressing left, right, or up and the shoot button. And so Tomb Raider hit the scene selling on Laura's huge... assets... and shooter/platformer gamerplay right around the time when most of the console youth was growing up and getting their own computers - yet it was labeled an Adventure title due to it's item based puzzle solving with all the complexity of finding the three colored keys on DOOM. The platforming itself was more of a complex puzzle, but usually only because the hurdles were at times really complex and obtuse (not helped by the horrible camera and "leap of faith" gameplay) - but that really only promoted trial and error memorization of the timing and direction of the jumps and isn't really considered puzzle solving IMO.

And yet, the one game which did really well at successfully hybridizing shooters and adventure games - Resident Evil (Alone in the Evil? Resident Dark? The two are so similar it makes it hard to differenciate at times) was labeled a "Survival Horror" - like that has any bearing on describing the actual gameplay - which is what a genre is supposed to do when applied to games. Calling something "horror" in a movie is fine, because all movies are essencially the same - they're a passive 2-hour long viewing experience. And while it's fine to differenciate between Horror, Drama, Comedy, and Romance in games, they shouldn't take precidence over the "at a glance" description of what the actual gameplay is like. I mean, by the very definition it should include games like Pac-man - which involves running around in a maze trying to avoid ghosts who want to kill you.

And the whole reason why RE was dubbed "Survival Horror" to begin with was to whitewash it's image from the stigma of a failing Adventure Game market. So I simply don't understand what the motivation is to hijack an already well established, though currently unpopular, genre and try to turn it into something it's not for sake of those who generally don't really know any better.

(And no, in case anyone wants to bring it up, Adventure games aren't descended from "Adventure" for the Atari 2600. They're descended, and the genre gets it's name, from Collossal Caves Adventure - a text adventure for the PDP-10 Mainframe computer)

Jife_Jifremok
Feb 3, 2008, 10:19 AM
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles is a very fun lightgun shooter which actually feels like a completely different take on the genre due to the way your "rails" try to simulate how fearful and cautious your characters can be. That is, instead of just charging at everything face-first and strafing everything else, enemies waiting for you at every tuen, in RE:UC you're (forced to be) looking around a lot and many corners don't have surprises lurking around them. As a result you, get breaks from the action but you just don't know when something's gonna pop up and try to get you. The main problem I have with this game though, and I'm willing to overlook it because it's an early Wii shooter, is that you're forced to have a crosshair on the screen. Lghtgun shooters were never meant to be this way unless you're playing with a control pad or stick. With the Wiimote, you really should have the option to play it like a traditional lightgun game. But, I'll start hating on games that do this when it becomes a problem. It's a great game, especially for oldschool gaming fans, just not for anyone who needs their freedom of movement.

Metroid Prime may be adventurish, but it has a LOT of shooting anyway. Oh, and it's the only Metroid Prime with controls worthy of a so-called bounty hunter.

And on the subject of adventures...
(Sinue sure knows his adventures, aye!)
...isn't there supposed to be an "Action-adventure" genre label or something? To me, games that mix action and adventure together (like Zelda), depending on the game's atmosphere and overall feel, still feel no less like an adventure than Shadowgate or Peasant's Quest, even if I'm just slicing my way through everything in a land like Hyrule or some dungeon instead of solving puzzles in Peasantry...or some other dungeon.

I do understand the importance of having a separate "Adventure" label though, as King's Quest V and King's Field IV sure as hell don't belong together. On the other hand, even though King Graham relies entirely on his wits and personality to survive and Prince Devian just cleaves through everything in his path and finds keys, both characters slowly and carefully explore their stunning and immersive worlds, constantly keeping an eye on the dangers around them, occasionally interacting with fellow people and gathering items to aid them in their quest. Both games feel like adventures, though they are completely different from one another. Hence, why not an "Action adventure" label to disginguish Shadow Tower from Shadowgate, Metroid from Myst, and so on?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2008-02-03 07:21 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2008-02-03 07:37 ]</font>

Katrina
Feb 3, 2008, 10:30 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/medalofhonorheroes2/index.html

amtalx
Feb 3, 2008, 07:42 PM
On 2008-02-02 22:30, SATatami wrote:
Red Steel was alright.

Red Steel made me die a little inside.

Shadowpawn
Feb 4, 2008, 12:43 AM
On 2008-02-03 00:31, Sinue_v2 wrote:
A whole bunch of stuff.

Nerd. Fine, The Metroid Prime series a FPS some adventure elements, happy?

Frana
Feb 4, 2008, 09:57 AM
What ever you do, don't think you need the zapper to play, it's actually harder to aim with it. My friend has the newest Medal of Honor, that was pretty good.

Sekani
Feb 4, 2008, 10:39 AM
On 2008-02-03 07:30, Pixiesugar wrote:
http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/medalofhonorheroes2/index.html

From a control standpoint, this is the best FPS on the console. Period.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sekani on 2008-02-04 07:41 ]</font>

Neith
Feb 4, 2008, 12:51 PM
On 2008-02-03 16:42, amtalx wrote:
Red Steel made me die a little inside.

Yeah, definately. Very mediocre game, controls were clumsy and awkward, it just didn't feel like it should have been a Wii game. The swordfighting strokes on screen bore no resemblence to your action on the Wiimote either, which detracted from the immersion I guess. Only redeeming factor (from what I've heard- I didn't have a 2nd nunchuk for this) was the multiplayer.

I played for a short period of time, put it back in the box, and tried (and failed, haha) to sell it on Amazon.

Rent it before buying, seriously.

I can't comment much on the other FPS games, since I don't own them, but I had to chip in before someone seriously suggested Red Steel.

Marche
Feb 4, 2008, 01:06 PM
its not really an FPS

but resident evil: umbrella chronicles is a great game.

Masou
Feb 5, 2008, 01:09 PM
i like resident evil 4 on the wii