PDA

View Full Version : Servers

HUmar4life
Feb 3, 2008, 07:13 PM
I am getting PSO lovers from all over youtube and anywhere else I can get people to follow me in my protest to get PSO episodes 1&2 online servers back up and to prevent Blue Burst from ever being shut down I don't give 1 little bit about PSU I want PSO back and wont stop spamming complaints to you until you do!

DC_PLAYER
Feb 3, 2008, 07:45 PM
it won't happen.
we at online consoles even sended letters to a person that works directly with sega, and still we couldn't make the servers back online

let me put this in a simple way
SERVER WASTES MONEY = SERVER SHUTDOWN

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DC_PLAYER on 2008-02-04 10:57 ]</font>

Splash
Feb 4, 2008, 12:25 AM
Pointless topic deserves a pointless response.

sCI
Feb 4, 2008, 02:14 AM
My question, out of ignorance, is what "ARE" the servers, physically and technically, and what costs so much to "turn it on at 8, and shut it down at 5"....Why so much money when the...."unoficial servers" can run for free(that is free for the users at least)? (why does it cost professionals a ton of money, but it costs close to little for a bunch of hackers/cool people(*smiles*) to do it?).....................................You know what?, in the last month, I(and a few otrhers on this forum) have talked about more questionable things about PSO and why it works the way it does, and how much bull sheit it is(drops suchas Dark Flow and why it has to be "turned on"; hacking being not as big of a deal as people make it out to be; servers "costing to much" to run, and shuting down even though it shouldn't cost a dime....) Stupid people...living in a stupid world...amd the answer given to me is, "that's just the way it is"...what a stupid answer.

KaneKahn
Feb 4, 2008, 02:55 AM
When will people realize it is getting shut down because the server is one hemorrhoiding money and two it isn't populated.

DC_PLAYER
Feb 4, 2008, 02:00 PM
sega was paying a company to maintain the servers (dc and gc), it was almost free money for that company, they had little work yet they had a contract wich mean they were gaining money.
sega did a simple thing, to increase income they had to cut down the expenses, the servers were 1 of them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DC_PLAYER on 2008-02-04 13:33 ]</font>

DevinTre
Feb 4, 2008, 04:28 PM
When it comes to the bottom dollar, a company is going to do what it deems necessary to trim the budget when it can, where it can, because it can. My guess is that the current new ventures look like great moneymakers (which I'm sure they are), while the old games are viewed as outdated, rarely used, etc. This was basically a business decision, and businesses do things that not everyone likes or agrees with if a big wheel decides that such actions are "best for the financial good of the company."

Splash
Feb 4, 2008, 08:26 PM
On 2008-02-03 23:14, sCI wrote:
My question, out of ignorance, is what "ARE" the servers, physically and technically, and what costs so much to "turn it on at 8, and shut it down at 5"....Why so much money when the...."unoficial servers" can run for free(that is free for the users at least)? (why does it cost professionals a ton of money, but it costs close to little for a bunch of hackers/cool people(*smiles*) to do it?)
Because people donate money to the servers and that is really how the unofficial servers are surviving. Evidentially, if it starts becoming a lot of money that it is too much to pay off, then the host of the server would face the same fate as SEGA, namely take them down.

Also, the money is used to buy a more stable and fast server, hence why there is very few slowdown, despite a large population on the ship.

You know what?, in the last month, I(and a few otrhers on this forum) have talked about more questionable things about PSO and why it works the way it does, and how much bull sheit it is(drops suchas Dark Flow and why it has to be "turned on"; hacking being not as big of a deal as people make it out to be; servers "costing to much" to run, and shuting down even though it shouldn't cost a dime....)
Really selfish of you no? Servers do cost money, and again, they will suffer the same fate as SEGA's servers if the host starts can't paying for it.

Stupid people...living in a stupid world...amd the answer given to me is, "that's just the way it is"...what a stupid answer.
Or maybe it is because you don't know how the economy works in life.

DC_PLAYER
Feb 5, 2008, 08:06 AM
for example the private server wich we can't talk about, it is mainly for pso bb but it can gather pso dc and gc, yet 1 person alone is paying from his own pocket so we can play free of charge, he get's some help yes, but he still has to pay, and if it was me wasting that money i would simply shutdown the server as i can't afford paying those values.

Mystral
Feb 5, 2008, 07:11 PM
Look up any given L2 or RO or RFO or any other game's private servers. They all, invariably, have large donate links on the front page and every page thereafter, half of them give ingame bonuses for donating, and a few even give a figure for how much it costs them every month to run their private server. This isn't someone sitting at home with their modem running a program in the background, it's a DEDICATED box with a DEDICATED high bandwidth line.

Some of the higher pop privates cost several thousand dollars per month to run. The official servers have even better hardware and an entire paid staff supporting them.

Sorry if this sounds like a bit of a snippy response, but if you feel it's so easy to run a server at any capacity, by all means, there's plenty of easily obtainable servers for several MMO games, grab a bunch of friends and just see how you fare with it, if that's what it takes to realize just what Sega/Sonic Team had to pour in to their servers to keep them up. The only reason PSOX is around at all is because, essentially, Microsoft is the one footing that bill, not Sega.

Also, sorry if I mentioned too much in the questionable area, just trying to make the point, is all.

elainesangel9
Feb 6, 2008, 12:53 PM
you know, psu should get some pso levels and enemies...just for the people stuck in the past, nothing major...look at name...

DC_PLAYER
Feb 6, 2008, 01:40 PM
On 2008-02-06 09:53, elainesangel9 wrote:
you know, psu should get some pso levels and enemies...just for the people stuck in the past, nothing major...look at name...

it already has
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKeI4yHVb68

Out_Kast
Feb 6, 2008, 03:09 PM
Eat your heart out, elainesangel http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Has no-one realised that all the moaning, whining and pleading to ST isn't going to get them anywhere? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

DC_PLAYER
Feb 6, 2008, 04:14 PM
well, i did my part to get the servers back up and i beleive many did the same.
the result is obvious.