PDA

View Full Version : Possible Confirmed Remedy To Item Loss or BSOD

Aryn
Jan 15, 2003, 11:10 AM
I have found a possible remedy towards remedying the black screens of death, (Like Game Disc not read) or general freezings of the game in which you're forced to shut down the game.

This is only occuring in online for me personally, and I'd appreciate feedback of where else it might be occuring.

But here's the remedy I've stumbled upon. Simply go straight back online. Don't even touch offline mode till you go online again. Try to get onto your same server/block, I believe, and you'll retain full items. Go into a game fully, if possible, then Quit Game straight off. This saved me TWICE over, once over a freeze, once over a complete black screen of death (disc error read)

Has anyone else ever tried this?

Percival
Jan 15, 2003, 11:19 AM
Interesting. I'll try this next time. I'd like to have other people report if this worked for them.

Do you think that if a .1 version of PSO is released with bug fixes thre will be a rebate or .0 owners? Unlike a computer game, we can't simply download a patch to fix the bugs. Anyone expecting a .1 version soon?

BeanOne
Jan 17, 2003, 12:22 PM
my screen froze also, an i just shutdown and went back online, an I had all my items... so it does work, just go straight back online an not offline...

EsperFlame
Jan 19, 2003, 02:17 PM
Just a quick note. If you ever suffer a BSOD before you actually reach a lobby, you never lose items.

TeK-DEL0REAN
Jan 21, 2003, 08:29 AM
if you bsod or fsod before joining a game you will not lose items. (for example while in a lobby looking for a team) after you join a team this is not the case. If anyone can prove me wrong, i'll be glad to know this..

mUlTi
Jan 26, 2003, 01:39 AM
Any time I get an FSOD I just hit reset. It takes you right to the save screen and saves to your card. No corruption. No item loss. I haven't had a problem yet. The funny thing is it seems like no one on any message board has even tried it. Eveyone else seems eager to do all kinds of drastic measures (unplug the power, yank the memory card, kick/throw the system, light it afire, take a bath with it) but no one has tried hitting "reset". Or at least it seems that way. Maybe I'm just lucky. :/

Polenicus
Jan 27, 2003, 01:05 AM
On 2003-01-25 22:39, mUlTi wrote:
Any time I get an FSOD I just hit reset. It takes you right to the save screen and saves to your card. No corruption. No item loss. I haven't had a problem yet. The funny thing is it seems like no one on any message board has even tried it. Eveyone else seems eager to do all kinds of drastic measures (unplug the power, yank the memory card, kick/throw the system, light it afire, take a bath with it) but no one has tried hitting "reset". Or at least it seems that way. Maybe I'm just lucky. :/

Sounds like you haven't gotten the buzzing FSOD. Unless your Gamecube is actually buzzing, it's not totally locked up, and you can recover, either with a reset or a soft reset. When the GC buzzes, it means the Gamecube has screamed and run to hide under a rock, and isn't gonna pay any attention to you pressing any of those buttons.

I've gotten it maybe twice. Both times were nonstandard... I was switching ships and it locked, so I thankfully didn't lose anything.

I'm thinking there must be some factor that makes people more prone to buzzing FSOD's... perhaps a certain run of Gamecubes, or the connection between them and the Sega servers (What router hoops does it have to jump through?)

mUlTi
Jan 28, 2003, 12:06 AM
Hmm. No I haven't gotten that at all. My lockups seem to be something like dropped packets. It's almost like the server forgets I'm there.

It could be possible that there are game conflict issues on certian GC's causing the "buzzing" FSOD. Maybe we should start a thread having everyone that was a victim post when/where they bought there's, post a model number or something that identifies what manufacturing run GC they have. If it is a manufacturing/software conflict a pattern should emerge.

If it's any help, I have a platnium Cube bought around late Oct 2002.

Kiah
Jan 28, 2003, 12:07 PM
I got this great advice from a person named Byrix. They sent me the following instructions for the 'death buzz' when online. If you're saving and the buzzing starts do this:

Step 1. physically disconnet your phone line/broad
band connection from your GC.

Step 2. open GC lid and close it again.

Step 3. Cross your fingers that GC senses the
disconnection, asks you to press START and proceed to
save(over the corrupted file).

I saved my characters twice by doing this when the
freeze hit. Cool?

Thanks Byrix! ^_^

Hope that helps some of you folks, it's happened to me hehe.