PDA

View Full Version : Screens and art for SF4.

Saner
Feb 6, 2008, 06:48 AM
wow that's amazing they revealed so many.

http://www.gamesarefun.com/games/streetfighter4/new/2.jpg

http://www.gamesarefun.com/games/streetfighter4/new/3.jpg

http://www.gamesarefun.com/games/streetfighter4/new/4.jpg

http://www.gamesarefun.com/games/streetfighter4/new/1.jpg

its great they still have their classic appearance.
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif wonder if this improves the chances that
Dee Jay, Cammy and the other SF2 legends will return too?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dhylec on 2008-02-06 07:15 ]</font>

Kent
Feb 6, 2008, 07:28 AM
I think I saw Cammy mentioned in an interview at 1up a while back... Specifically, I believe they were talking about her thighs, and how they wouldn't be beefy to an ungodly extreme in Street Fighter IV, unlike Chun-Li's.

UnderscoreX
Feb 6, 2008, 07:47 AM
Akuma and or Sagat next please.

amtalx
Feb 6, 2008, 08:08 AM
Is that cel shading? Can't tell.

Fure_Rakune
Feb 6, 2008, 09:03 AM
In the first screen in the lower left corner, who is the third fellow along with ryu and ken?
Also, no cel-shading here, its just very stylized.

AC9breaker
Feb 6, 2008, 12:03 PM
I can't help but think of this track when I see Chun-Li's character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjLrxRz1sVI

SubstanceD
Feb 6, 2008, 01:17 PM
Despite the new graphics this game looks and feels very retro and I'm not sure whether I should be happy about that or not.

Maybe it's because most of the old Street Fighter 2 roster seems to be returning and noone seems to have gotten any new costumes or character redesigns, heck even Chun Li's SF2 stage has made a comeback and it looks just the same as it always did. Sure capcom have revealed that Ono from SF3 will return and that there is a new character called Crimson Viper is in the game but I wan't to know what else is new for SF4. It would be nice to see a few more new characters ( or at least some from SF3 or the SF Alpha games ). A new stage would also be nice.

Not that I am hating what I am seeing, I just feel as if I've been there and done that all before. I played Street Fighter 2 to death back in the 90's. The Street Fighter franchise was pracically my religion back then. It's just that SF4 looks too much like like SF2 (2.5D ). What is SF doing to evolve the series besides a graphical makeover.

Saner
Feb 6, 2008, 04:23 PM
well the system they said is focused more on offensive play
instead of turtling. So I think they took a hint from Guilty Gear X's
great Tension system.

Shiro_Ryuu
Feb 6, 2008, 05:07 PM
Man, I'd much prefer Remy over Guile. Yin and Yang would be awesome too, and of course they have to have Gouki/Akuma in the game too. Also, hope the final boss isn't...M. Bison/Vega. >.>
I'm just hoping it doesn't become just a Street Fighter 2 remake with souped up graphics.

Nitro Vordex
Feb 6, 2008, 05:11 PM
I mentioned this a while back, and I guess no one on this site really cares about SF.
Different generation I guess. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Freshellent
Feb 6, 2008, 07:22 PM
On 2008-02-06 14:11, Nitro_Vordex wrote:
I mentioned this a while back, and I guess no one on this site really cares about SF.
Different generation I guess. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

That's not entirely true. I'm a big supporter of SF,and always will.

AC9,it's funny you mentioned that track. I remembered Gigaton Punch.

I'm not exaggerating when I say I play 3rd Strike at least once a week. I'm a Hugo/Urien/Chun/Yun player,in that order. A solid 2 hour session usually,time permiting. Read all the comics,been to EVO every year I can. Played some of the best in the world ( literally.) Got served everytime too.

I'm not sure what to think of the new SF game. The art style is pretty hit and miss with me,its supposed to be for a more western audience I'm told. The game plays similar to what we know,keeping the 6 button format. But I can't help but raise an eyebrow at the "Revenge" system. It reminds me a lot of Capcom vs SNK 2's Groove System. While I understand this new director is trying to "speed" the game up by making it more offensive,by taking away certain defensive options. I just can't help but feel a little worried it will turn into a rush game.Trying to introduce more combos? I dunno...

Also,I wonder if Ken will finally step down from his throne? Here's to hoping Chun Li comes back strong.
I will say though I'm not a fan of her character model in this version. She seems...well. Ugly. Cammy should fair better,hopefully.

Thanks for sharing at least. Maybe this game will turn out better than I'm fearing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Icespike on 2008-02-06 16:22 ]</font>

Shiro_Ryuu
Feb 6, 2008, 10:20 PM
Yeah, I've always loved Street Fighter, but yeah, I agree with Ein about the art styles. It does look like it aims for a Western audience, some might like it, others don't. I'm one of the people that don't, for the reason of it aiming to the Western audience. But I think Chun-li looks alright. Ryu on the other hand, looks pretty ugly. Of course I can't expect him to be the pretty boy he was in SFA series since he was younger then, but still, he's too... >.>

Crimson Viper looks interesting though, I'll say that much. Besides Ryu, some of the other guys look alright, although as a Wapanese guy, I miss the anime art style. But I'm still gonna pick this game up regardless.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shiroryuu on 2008-02-06 19:23 ]</font>

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 6, 2008, 10:48 PM
On 2008-02-06 10:17, SubstanceD wrote:
[spoiler-box]Despite the new graphics this game looks and feels very retro and I'm not sure whether I should be happy about that or not.

Maybe it's because most of the old Street Fighter 2 roster seems to be returning and noone seems to have gotten any new costumes or character redesigns, heck even Chun Li's SF2 stage has made a comeback and it looks just the same as it always did. Sure capcom have revealed that Ono from SF3 will return and that there is a new character called Crimson Viper is in the game but I wan't to know what else is new for SF4. It would be nice to see a few more new characters ( or at least some from SF3 or the SF Alpha games ). A new stage would also be nice.

Not that I am hating what I am seeing, I just feel as if I've been there and done that all before. I played Street Fighter 2 to death back in the 90's. The Street Fighter franchise was pracically my religion back then. It's just that SF4 looks too much like like SF2 (2.5D ). What is SF doing to evolve the series besides a graphical makeover.[/spoiler-box]
Spoiler boxed to save space.

That was what they were going for, re-inventing the old look and feel of SF2, to bring in that audience that may have moved on. "Casual gamers" or whatever you want to call it.

Oro? Oro is back? Freaking awesome. One armed tied behind his back old(est) man in SF that's pretty fun to use. Especially his Super Combo(SA1) w/ Px2 and someone is just standing there blocking, unaware and he grabs them out of their blocking, flies into the air and comes down headfirst into their solarplexes (sp?) complete with that SFX of something free falling @ terminal velocity.

A lot of the refinements(such as the parrying) turned off a lot of people to the Street Fighter games, not to mention all the company shake-up that resulted in plenty of bad games.

On 2008-02-06 14:07, Shiroryuu wrote:
Man, I'd much prefer Remy over Guile. Yin and Yang would be awesome too, and of course they have to have Gouki/Akuma in the game too. Also, hope the final boss isn't...M. Bison/Vega. >.>
I'm just hoping it doesn't become just a Street Fighter 2 remake with souped up graphics.

I would prefer Remy too, since like in the SF:EX games you can't run away for 90% of a match in this kinda spacing. So everyone who loved being a corner turtle wouldn't be able to do that anymore. Very frustrating when people play the game backwards like that, never moving forward since the gameplay in SF3 allowed it. 3D on the 2D plane eliminates a lot of that, regular 3D on 3D planes such as Soul Calibur or VF also doesn't have this nonsense.

Its called Street Fighter, not run away in the corner fighter.

You couldn't do any of that in the original SF2 either. Matches could be over in a few seconds if you got caught and weren't careful. Don't mind the 3D on 2D plane again since matches shouldn't be over in a few seconds, such as via untimely ring out in 3D only fighters.
-
New character soo far looks a lot like the SNK character Vice, with the whip arm.

Hopefully Blanka/Dhalsim aren't just as godly as they were in the old SF games.

AC9breaker
Feb 7, 2008, 12:13 AM
I don't know the new system changes they plan on implementing seems sweet to me. Did anyone see the 1up special they had a few weeks ago?
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/16818
I'm totally getting this day 1.
Street Fighter is timeless, just like Megaman.

Shiro_Ryuu
Feb 7, 2008, 07:42 AM
Not just the play system, but Remy himself is pretty awesome, and he'll definitely appeal to the emo population [Western audience anyone?].

amtalx
Feb 7, 2008, 07:59 AM
I wouldn't go so far as to say classics that still have iterations are timeless. Traditional Megaman games have been stale for a decade.

Saner
Feb 7, 2008, 11:24 AM
MegaMan Legends rules. very underrated series.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 7, 2008, 12:30 PM
On 2008-02-07 04:42, Shiroryuu wrote:
Not just the play system, but Remy himself is pretty awesome, and he'll definitely appeal to the emo population [Western audience anyone?].

But, I don't know about any sadomasochism in this ol' emo culture. They'd enjoy seeing some emo fighter hero being beat up?

Others would enjoy the beating down the emo looking guy, running away from them. Very high school-ish for two kinds of a Western Audience right there!
-
But anyway, this was scheduled to be before the SF3 timeline. No idea if they want to make a younger version of France leather outfit guy, Remy, again if the gameplay system is more close ranged and this was a 3/4 of his moves are for long range guy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2008-02-07 09:31 ]</font>

Saner
Feb 7, 2008, 03:36 PM
that's weird. why would they make Street Fighter "4" a prequel? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

oh well if that's what it takes to bring back all/most of the SF2 characters, that's even better than a whole new cast of terrible character designs like SF3 introduced. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Shiro_Ryuu
Feb 7, 2008, 10:11 PM
Psh, I loved the SF3 characters. Urien, Yang, Yun, Gill, Remy, and that Brazilian kid were pretty awesome. And as for Remy getting pwn'd, I dunno, he was one of my favorite characters to use.

Scrub
Feb 7, 2008, 11:43 PM
If they don't bring back Q I won't buy this game.

That said, I'm not a fan of how the characters are turning out in the art, but I don't really care about that, as long as the game is still fun...and Q is playable.

Goddamn Q is awesome. Q, Necro, and Dudley singlehandedly made up for all the fail in the rest of the SF3 cast.

UnderscoreX
Feb 8, 2008, 09:02 AM
I thought they said this was set before SF3 ? So Q shouldn't be in it and either would Remy.
Anyone seen the screens of that new chick ? She looks like she's straight out of KOF, doesn't really fit in with the art direction the rest of them have but whatever.

Scrub
Feb 8, 2008, 04:00 PM
Just because it's set before it doesn't mean that the characters wont be in it.

Alpha was set before Street Fighter 2, but most if not ALL of those characters made it into Alpha.

ShinMaruku
Feb 8, 2008, 04:29 PM
I remain unconvinced.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 9, 2008, 09:25 PM
On 2008-02-07 12:36, Saner wrote:
that's weird. why would they make Street Fighter "4" a prequel? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

oh well if that's what it takes to bring back all/most of the SF2 characters, that's even better than a whole new cast of terrible character designs like SF3 introduced. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Terrible? This isn't the Dynasty Warriors or Square Enix thread! Don't mean to burst your bubble but people eat up that like its not a rehashed spikey head guy without hair dye, different outfit, more zippers, Yuffie's turtleneck without sleeves again, gunsword for the tenth time, and never complain.

Ninja Girl, everyone likes those. Combine Blanka and Dhalsim, didn't sound like fun but he's pretty fun to use. Dick Tracy looking robot, yes. Hugo, haven't forgotten the SF '89/Final Fight roots, one day Mayor Mike Haggar should be in there.

You haven't seen them a hundred times over such as Ryu and Ken but they played better than just some generic jobbers and had plenty of subtle animations that no one else does. Elena switching stances and foreground/background feet with tons of frames when SNK stuff is still like a 1/10 as many for a standing animation.

Prequel again since they want to re-make the SF2 with today's tech. Calling it a SF2 Remix prequel would turn off way more people to it, unless they are really into Dynasty Warriors and the way they churn em out! Okay, the SF crowd buys into most of the games too the same way but the idea to not extend past SF3 makes sense for what they're doing.

Not bringing back parries and possibly new systems on top of that for example.