PDA

View Full Version : For those at Northern Illinois University

LonesomeCrow7
Feb 14, 2008, 06:10 PM
Hey everyone i just want to put out there that there was a shooting at NIU earlier today...at the moment there are 2 dead, gunman dead, 18 injured with 5 head injuries...may our prayers go out to them

AlexCraig
Feb 14, 2008, 06:14 PM
I heard (lives about an hour from Chicago). I heard he used a 12-guage. Really sucks. I'm just glad and fortunate none of my friends go to NIU.

EDIT: Okay, I haven't heard the reasons behind it, yet (hell, Idaknow if they've been found out yet), but here's my hypothesis on why. I think it is fairly accurate.
Obsessive guy wants girl. Girl rejects guy. In anger, and the cliche "if I can't have you, nobody will", guy goes on shooting spree, inevitably killing himself.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AlexCraig on 2008-02-14 15:34 ]</font>

LonesomeCrow7
Feb 14, 2008, 07:03 PM
hey i can agree with you there...i have 4 buddies over there and two of them had a lecture where it happened but decided that day to skip class...man am i glad for that!

Dangerous55
Feb 14, 2008, 07:24 PM
Pretty scary stuff. I feel real bad for the familys involved, if I prayed I'd pray for them.

Once again a "gun free zone" fails, too bad it was illegal for students or profs to defend themselves.

Jive18
Feb 14, 2008, 08:25 PM
I have 1 cousin, several friends, and numerous acquaintances whom attend NIU. None of them were hurt, thank god.

This trend is getting fucking ridiculous - how am I supposed to feel here at Bradley with such a small campus? I hate to be paranoid, but now that I have relations who have experienced this, it is starting to affect me.

Shadowpawn
Feb 14, 2008, 08:34 PM
On 2008-02-14 17:25, Jive18 wrote:

This trend is getting fucking ridiculous - how am I supposed to feel here at Bradley with such a small campus? I hate to be paranoid, but now that I have relations who have experienced this, it is starting to affect me.

That's the same thing I was thinking earlier when I discussing this with someone IRL. It's getting to the point when it really is a trend to go off the deep end and 186 a couple of people and themselves. The real question is, how did it get to this point?

Jive18
Feb 14, 2008, 08:41 PM
On 2008-02-14 17:34, Shadowpawn wrote:

That's the same thing I was thinking earlier when I discussing this with someone IRL. It's getting to the point when it really is a trend to go off the deep end and 186 a couple of people and themselves. The real question is, how did it get to this point?

I ask myself the same thing. I almost want to cop-out and blame the media for their desensitizing and controlled-propaganda-bullshit that they feed every single one of us every time we read a newspaper or watch a commercial. They are an institution that reports on the disturbances in our culture, and for that they are certainly one of, if not the primary, guilty parties for affecting citizens to the point of going on a rampage.

We reap what we sow, more or less.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jive18 on 2008-02-14 17:42 ]</font>

KaneKahn
Feb 14, 2008, 09:00 PM
Why must people do this? If you want to end your life do so, but don't affect or end the lives of those around you.... Moronically stupid people live in this world...

Larian
Feb 14, 2008, 09:45 PM
They are now saying there is a total of 6 dead btw. Plus lets not forget the Layne Bryant shooting in Tinley Park Last week as well. Five women dead and the gunman is still at large.

astuarlen
Feb 14, 2008, 11:07 PM
Being in class far from the incident--and, thankfully, not knowing anyone directly affected--I'm not even peripherally involved. Still, it's rather surreal, and I can't help feeling a little off balance and agitated.
Hoping for the best possible resolution for everyone connected--victims, families, and friends.
On top of concern for the much more serious issue here, I'll admit to being a bit disturbed by some of the reactions by the media and others (not here). Using this as an opportunity to drag out the soapbox and start ranting, mostly about gun control, as I've seen on some sites... that doesn't sit well with me. And I have to wonder about what seems like near-sensationalism from the media and the fact idea that somehow certain tragedies are more newsworthy than others.
In any case, I hope that folks here can find what they need to reclaim (I hate to say this, because it sounds cliched) normalcy and peace of mind. I can't imagine what those who lost someone or those students who were in the classroom are going through.

LonesomeCrow7
Feb 14, 2008, 11:32 PM
its weird because here i am an university of iowa student and i still feel shockwaves from this...i come from chicago so i feel close to home by this tragedy...i just hope solice for those who need it can get it

Kylie
Feb 15, 2008, 02:26 PM
Seems like this is becoming too common at universities. :/