PDA

View Full Version : just found out PS, pso, psu made sky of arcadia

Blenjar
Feb 15, 2008, 10:55 PM
haha no wonder why i still love that RPG game...story is bad ass and effects were pretty good back in the days.

anyway I wanted to share that.

I hope they make another sky of arcadia.

Overworks is the company that fused with Sega..

-- Blen

KaneKahn
Feb 15, 2008, 11:19 PM
An ikkle slow maybe? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

ABDUR101
Feb 15, 2008, 11:46 PM
Grandia II and Skies of Arcadia were the first RPG's I ever really got into(the DC releases anyway), and damn did I ever enjoy them. Despite starting my gaming with the Atari and working my way through most of the consoles, I never really got into RPG's until those two.

Almost makes me want to load up SoA again. Almost. =]

omegapirate2k
Feb 16, 2008, 12:29 AM
Skies of Arcadia is still one of my favorite RPG's (or games, for that matter) of all time.

ljkkjlcm9
Feb 16, 2008, 01:36 AM
Skies of Arcadia was an amazing game... but the airship battles took forever. I seriously could've watched movies during them.

THE JACKEL

Shadowpawn
Feb 16, 2008, 01:41 AM
On 2008-02-15 22:36, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:
Skies of Arcadia was an amazing game... but the airship battles took forever. I seriously could've watched movies during them.

THE JACKEL

Bah, you just didn't know how to fight. >_>

Blenjar
Feb 16, 2008, 02:01 AM
haha yea the fights were pretty rough but that was great.

The fighting style was pretty decent.

I just bought Lost Odyssey..its a good game, very like final fantasy X..
But I kinda wished it was a bit different from it, i don't want to play same thing over again. Battle system is slightly different but not by much.

I want Skie of Arcadia back!
I never played Grandia http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

-- Blen

Kanju
Feb 16, 2008, 05:24 AM
Fire consume my enemies! LAMBDA BURST!!

Oh man, the S-Moves were cheesy. That game was hilarious.

ljkkjlcm9
Feb 16, 2008, 10:55 AM
On 2008-02-15 22:41, Shadowpawn wrote:

On 2008-02-15 22:36, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:

THE JACKEL

Bah, you just didn't know how to fight. >_>

I knew perfectly well how to fight, but each turn of your 4 characters took at least 5 minutes.

THE JACKEL

rogue_robot
Feb 16, 2008, 11:05 AM
Well, RPGs, generally having an anime theme to them, just get kinda cheesy at times by their nature, and the two big Dreamcast RPGs, Grandia II and Skies of Arcadia, are no exception to the rule.

I still love both Grandia II and Skies of Arcadia, though, in spite of all their obvious flaws.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and Jackel - I know exactly what you mean with the ship battles. The animations all just took too damn long, especially between the Moonstone Cannon and bosses' specials.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rogue_robot on 2008-02-16 08:08 ]</font>

HUnewearl_Meira
Feb 16, 2008, 12:19 PM
For the record, "Phantasy Star" and "Phantasy Star 2" were made by a group simply known as "Sega", which included Reiko Kodama (in both cases, credited as "Phoenix Rie") and Yuji Naka (credited as Muuuu Yuji, for some damn reason), whereas Phantasy Star III was also credited to a group simply calling themselves "Sega", though by this time, Sega had enough staff to devote a team that was apparently new to Phantasy Star (including such names as S2, Toyo Ozaki, L-R-Valley, Tsukapon and for the first time, music by Ippo instead of Bo). By the time Phantasy Star IV rolled around, Sega had begun organizing itself into development houses. Phantasy Star IV was consequently put together by Overworks, which was headed up by none other than Reiko Kodama, who the Phan community commonly views to be the party responsible for Phantasy Star's general awesomeness.

Meanwhile, Skies of Arcadia was also made by Overworks, which makes me given to wonder about what Reiko Kodama's fascination with Guilds is.

That aside, PSO and PSU are both the products of Sonic Team; PSO is mostly rooted in Yuji Naka's leadership (though I question how much he had to do with PSOBB, as its development occurred around the time he decided to leave Sega), while PSU was developed under the leadership of... um... Whoever the hell it was that took over for Yuji Naka.

Sinue_v2
Feb 16, 2008, 01:36 PM
Takao Miyoshi. He was a producer on PSO, I believe.

Also, I thought before "Sonic Team", Sega had their development houses split into seperate divisions which called themselves "AM" and designated by a number. I think Sonic Team was AM8, up until the time Sonic the Hedgehog was released. Phantasy Star II and IV were highly influenced by Tohru Yoshida (who also worked on Skies of Arcadia). Rieko and Tohru were part of a pocket development team within Sonic Team called "Team Phantasy Star" when they created PSIV I think. However, as the 16-bit generation wound down, they left for the newly formed OverWorks. Since Phantasy Star was still a "Sonic Team" game, the franchise didn't follow with them despite them being the largest influences on the design and direction.

Phantasy Star III was fast-tracked around the same time PSII was finishing development, so they went with another team (as Meria said). I think it was the same team who created Golden Axe. Hence the large disparity in atmosphere between the two titles.

Also, Rieko did a lot of work on the early Sonic and Alex Kidd series as well (Alex Kidd and the Enchanted Castle was a great game for it's time). IMO, she's one of Sega's best and most underutilized talents. Between helping shape Sonic, Phantasy Star, and Skies of Arcadia - they decided she'd work best making some goofy fucking brain training games or something on the Nintendo DS. Oh, and Altered Beast - which I believe she came into half-way through development when WoW and OverWorks merged - but it turned out pretty horrible from what I hear.

SubstanceD
Feb 16, 2008, 02:34 PM
On 2008-02-15 21:29, omegapirate2k wrote:
Skies of Arcadia is still one of my favorite RPG's (or games, for that matter) of all time.

Same here.

While we're on the subject of Skies of Arcdia, wasn't there some talk of a sequel a few years ago or am I just imagining things.

RikaPSOW
Feb 16, 2008, 09:44 PM
Skies of Arcadia is one of my favorite games. Nothing really bad about the game. The ship battles did take a little too long though. I think they should make another one. Too bad I don't really think they would have an easy time putting a new story together if Vyse is involved.

Jaspaller
Feb 17, 2008, 12:11 AM
Couldn't bring myself to beat the game. I stopped playing a little after getting the captain. The story is interesting and I ended up just watching my brother play it and beat it. Loved a lot of the music in it as well but I felt that the gameplay was a bit boring.

rogue_robot
Feb 17, 2008, 12:13 PM
Yeah, some of the boss fights just took wa-a-a-a-a-a-a-ay too long, unless you powerlevelled like crazy. It didn't help that some of those bosses, with their uber-ridiculous Hp counts, also had moves which could sometimes wipe the whole party when at full health with buffs (oh, how I hated Sinistra and Destra). I can see how anyone who doesn't have an insane amount of patience for turn-based RPGs would get sick of Skies pretty damn quickly.

Blenjar
Feb 17, 2008, 02:20 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif^
You got that right, you just had to grind before getting to a boss to kill him i couple minutes.

The last boss took me about 5 tries to kill him, total of 3-5 hours. I had to go out and grind some more to kill him.

I cant recall battle scenes taking a while.....maybe its because I LOVE IT!!

I'm not sure if it was PSO or Skies of Arcadia (I got them around the same time) but it was the first time I almost died of exhaustion. I think it was because I didnt eat that day and played from very early in the morning to like very late at night. Later that day I rushed to burger king, on my way back for more PSO or Skies of Arcadia, I couldn't even bring my bike up to my floor cause I was VERY VERY DIZZY... Maybe thats why they have those warning msg telling you to take a break and eat. >_>

Cant recall which game it was but it had to be one of them...
I love Armored Cored 4!!! its a sweet game. thx sega!

-- Blen

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blenjar on 2008-02-17 11:22 ]</font>

Blenjar
Feb 17, 2008, 02:49 PM
I miss Power Stone too..

-- Ble

Sharkyland
Feb 17, 2008, 08:13 PM
On 2008-02-16 11:34, SubstanceD wrote:

On 2008-02-15 21:29, omegapirate2k wrote:

Same here.

While we're on the subject of Skies of Arcdia, wasn't there some talk of a sequel a few years ago or am I just imagining things.

There is an article on 1up.com about it.

amtalx
Feb 17, 2008, 08:30 PM
I'm STILL on the last boss from Skies. Every time I try to sit down and beat it something happens and I have to leave. Babies being born, power outage, the apocalypse...