PDA

View Full Version : Blu-Ray Wins

Ketchup345
Feb 16, 2008, 02:27 PM
Reuters article (http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNewsAndPR/idUSL1627196120080216?rpc=92)

Nice to see that this portion of format wars is over, now we just have to wait for players and burners to get to reasonable prices.

SubstanceD
Feb 16, 2008, 02:49 PM
I always expected Blu-Ray to beat out HD-DVD however Blu-ray still has to compete with normal dvd's. Not enough people are on the High Def band wagon yet. High Def televisions need to become the norm ( and prices fall some more, while were at it manufactuers need to stop making non high def tv's ), prices of High Def players need to fall and most importantly the prices of Blu-Ray discs need to drop.

VioletSkye
Feb 16, 2008, 02:50 PM
About time that little scenario finished playing out. Blu-ray internal players are around $200 with burners still in the $400+ range but I don't think it will take long for the prices to start coming down quite a bit. As for stand alone players, I'd still recommend the PS3 to people as it will be able to support all the features of the finalized Blu-ray hardware profile (whereas older generation players won't.) Plus, it plays games!! LOL.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2008-02-16 11:51 ]</font>

Dangerous55
Feb 17, 2008, 01:30 AM
I hope society collapses before either of them win.

amtalx
Feb 17, 2008, 10:57 AM
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of this. I still just don't like Sony. Despite Blu-Rays technical superiority, HD-DVD was more of a "peoples" solution. They consulted the DVD Forum and weren't all "fux you guys, we're gonna do our own thing" like Sony.

KodiaX987
Feb 17, 2008, 11:29 AM
It's about damn time that war ends. Now all I'm waiting for is for burners to take a massive drop so that I can migrate my files to the new DVDs (seeing as my stack is about 3 ft high...)

Skuda
Feb 17, 2008, 12:17 PM
The PS3 just became more valuable.

rogue_robot
Feb 17, 2008, 12:31 PM
...but still not valuable enough to make me care.

I'm just not into all that PS3 eye-candy, and HDTVs are still to ridiculously expensive. None of the games seem particularly new or interesting, either (or they're available for the 360 I've already got).

I know my dad isn't gonna be happy about this situation, though. He'd already grabbed a couple HD-DVD copies of some movies, and was waiting for the players to become reasonably priced. If Blu-Ray really has secured an almost complete victory, those players might not hang around long enough for that to happen.

EDIT: Oops, left out "enough."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rogue_robot on 2008-02-17 09:31 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rogue_robot on 2008-02-17 09:34 ]</font>

Firocket1690
Feb 17, 2008, 12:59 PM
'ey, ketchup. out of curiosity. how much of the media does Toshiba affect? 'cause every time this thread/topic/subject comes up, it involves some move on Toshiba's part. I think I'm underestimating them, or simply don't know their scope of influence? but just because Toshiba dropped HDDVD, doesn't necessarily mean Panasonic/Matsushita, Samsung, Mitsubitshi, Hitachi, Pioneer, etc will stop?

That, and I thought it was mostly a licensing thing they're debating about. Wouldn't it mostly be filmmakers/movie studios/media people who decide which format to release stuff in? I didn't mention video games 'cause those are stuck as is for another five years.

DarkNoise
Feb 17, 2008, 01:50 PM
On 2008-02-17 09:17, Skuda wrote:
The PS3 just became more valuable.

That won't last long with the new Xbox 360 due out in autumn. Suffice to say that when this baby comes out, Sony will be shaking in their boots.

Because Toshiba have stopped development of HD DVD players but are still manufacturing and selling current ones means nothing.

There are still plenty of manufactururs building HD DVD player. And in the end it's not really to equipment that makes the outcome, but the coporate companies who decide which format to go with. And recent reports suggest that many studios are now swapping over to HD while retail outlets are doing the oppersit thing and selling Blue Ray only (this is due to nothing more than poor HD DVD sales at christmas mind you... stupid Woolworths).

This war is far from over yet, even though IGN seem to think it is, and come autumn it may end up being a tight battle.

But well just have to wait and see wont we?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarkNoise on 2008-02-17 10:54 ]</font>

amtalx
Feb 17, 2008, 08:34 PM
On 2008-02-17 10:50, DarkNoise wrote:

That won't last long with the new Xbox 360 due out in autumn.

Huh? What's it going to have?

On a different note, the whole HD-DVD/Blu war had them squabbling over about 1% of total movie disc sales. Theres the potential that this could mean absolutely nothing.

Rubius-sama
Feb 17, 2008, 10:02 PM
On 2008-02-17 07:57, amtalx wrote:
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of this. I still just don't like Sony. Despite Blu-Rays technical superiority, HD-DVD was more of a "peoples" solution. They consulted the DVD Forum and weren't all "fux you guys, we're gonna do our own thing" like Sony.

BR was never superior to HDDVD, other than housing more storage space.

BR had a better marketing strategy and won, it's that simple. I supported HDDVD because I don't think Sony deserves my support with they way they treat the consumer.

This will boost PS3 sales and bring it back to the video game fight.

Ketchup345
Feb 17, 2008, 10:54 PM
On 2008-02-17 09:59, Firocket1690 wrote:
'ey, ketchup. out of curiosity. how much of the media does Toshiba affect? 'cause every time this thread/topic/subject comes up, it involves some move on Toshiba's part. I think I'm underestimating them, or simply don't know their scope of influence? but just because Toshiba dropped HDDVD, doesn't necessarily mean Panasonic/Matsushita, Samsung, Mitsubitshi, Hitachi, Pioneer, etc will stop?

That, and I thought it was mostly a licensing thing they're debating about. Wouldn't it mostly be filmmakers/movie studios/media people who decide which format to release stuff in? I didn't mention video games 'cause those are stuck as is for another five years.From my understanding, Toshiba was the biggest backer of HD-DVD. They were the ones leading in production of both players and the article I linked suggests that they also made accessories for HD-DVD (I would assume this means disks and cables?).

Also, recently many retailers switched to Blu-Ray only (Netflix and Walmart recently). Warner Bros. will be switching to Blu-Ray only in June. Blu-Ray also has more support from studios.

Jaspaller
Feb 17, 2008, 11:41 PM
Well, if you're into pirating and all that I think there are ways to get Blu-Ray videos converted into HD-DVD format for those that still support and will continue to use a HD-DVD player. I don't know much about it but I've heard of this.

Really didn't care about the whole HD scene for movies anyways. I'd rather just watch it on my small 32" SD or my computer screen instead.

Nai_Calus
Feb 18, 2008, 11:08 AM
Indeed, Jas. I only look in on this stuff to see what the latest wank is.

I won't give a shit until everything *must* be Hi-def.

Actually, I'll give a shit then, depending on future costs. Hi-def TVs and media currently cost quite a bit more than old-fashioned DVD and non-hi-def TVs. Unless the Hi-Def shit goes down, I'm really going to be annoyed about having to pay more for shit I get absolutely no benfit from. I have bad eyesight. All the HD tvs on display at Wal-Mart or Best Buy or wherever you go look exactly the same as the pictures on the non-HD. Kind of removes the benefit if you can't see it, huh.

And then eventually we'll have format wars when 3D becomes common. (Hah, then I *really* won't care, I have no depth perception and can't see 3D. >D)

BogusKun
Feb 18, 2008, 11:34 AM
Blu Ray has far more space... 25Gigs for a movie is TOTALLY unnecessary, however, it may help for a game... which may be why movies are so expensive... and when the games get tough, so will the Dual Layer blu ray discs.

I thought it was retarded that there were 2 formats. I'm telling you... there will be a DVD player to play both formats, and it will be launched sometime around 2009 I believe this. Honestly, having a separate machines that play 1 or the other format is nonsense in my own opinion. PS3 is the only machine worth having Blu Ray, but what good will that do when you need to go portable. Same said for HD DVD.

Standard DVD is still most appropriate. They still all work good with 1080. High Definition was the word used for "Good Clarity" since 1990s... and most people are just now getting 1080i/p in their homes.

They both suck, but hey I give it to Blu Ray because of storage space. Still... the leftover space is such a waste... 9-12 gigs of movie, but there is that bulk left over that you're still paying for.

VioletSkye
Feb 18, 2008, 12:08 PM
On 2008-02-18 08:34, BogusKun wrote:
Blu Ray has far more space... 25Gigs for a movie is TOTALLY unnecessary, however, it may help for a game... which may be why movies are so expensive... and when the games get tough, so will the Dual Layer blu ray discs.

I thought it was retarded that there were 2 formats. I'm telling you... there will be a DVD player to play both formats, and it will be launched sometime around 2009 I believe this. Honestly, having a separate machines that play 1 or the other format is nonsense in my own opinion. PS3 is the only machine worth having Blu Ray, but what good will that do when you need to go portable. Same said for HD DVD.

Standard DVD is still most appropriate. They still all work good with 1080. High Definition was the word used for "Good Clarity" since 1990s... and most people are just now getting 1080i/p in their homes.

They both suck, but hey I give it to Blu Ray because of storage space. Still... the leftover space is such a waste... 9-12 gigs of movie, but there is that bulk left over that you're still paying for.

If you're talking about a player to play both HD DVD and Blu-Ray, they already have those (they are called hybrid players.) They have been around as internal pc drives for quite awhile and standalone units have been out for weeks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2008-02-18 09:10 ]</font>

ShadowDragon28
Feb 18, 2008, 05:22 PM
I'm really not fond of any one company having a monopoly.. not fond of Sony having such due to some of their not-so-great /dubious business practices...

Jaspaller
Feb 19, 2008, 11:46 AM
Well... there goes HD-DVD for sure. Toshiba gave an official announcement about their plans for HD-DVD

Full article below
http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2008_02/pr1903.htm

VioletSkye
Feb 19, 2008, 12:22 PM
http://www.digitaljournal.com/images/photo/hddvddead.jpg

SubstanceD
Feb 19, 2008, 03:19 PM
On 2008-02-17 09:59, Firocket1690 wrote:

That, and I thought it was mostly a licensing thing they're debating about. Wouldn't it mostly be filmmakers/movie studios/media people who decide which format to release stuff in? I didn't mention video games 'cause those are stuck as is for another five years.

It was my understanding that Toshiba created the HD-DVD format. Now that they have pulled support for the product they created do you honestly think other companies are going to coninue to produce HD-DVD's or HD-DVD players. If Toshiba can no longer stand behind the product that they created why should anyone else. This is almost ceratin death for HD-DVD.
Blu-Ray has won.

VioletSkye
Feb 19, 2008, 08:27 PM
Xbox 360 to go Blu in May (http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/02/19/xbox-360-blu)

Guess we'll see http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2008-02-19 17:27 ]</font>

KodiaX987
Feb 20, 2008, 10:36 AM
Hey Violet, think that now it'll take a long time for the Blu-Ray burners to get some price drop?

I'm running out of space due to the sheer height of my stack of backup DVDs but I don't necessarily want to shell out top dollar for the device if I know it's going to be cheaper soon.

VioletSkye
Feb 20, 2008, 12:40 PM
On 2008-02-20 07:36, KodiaX987 wrote:
Hey Violet, think that now it'll take a long time for the Blu-Ray burners to get some price drop?

I'm running out of space due to the sheer height of my stack of backup DVDs but I don't necessarily want to shell out top dollar for the device if I know it's going to be cheaper soon.

Heh, good timing, I was just looking at an article in regards to that: With HD DVD Dead, Will Blu-ray Prices Begin to Fall? (http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/80109/with-hd-dvd-dead-will-blu-ray-prices-begin-to-fall)

I agree that come the holiday season prices will most likely be dropping. That's really more for standalone players though. As for internal (or external for that matter) optical drives for pc, it's hard to say. Although the burners themselves are still pricey, it's more of a one-time cost whereas you'll need to keep purchasing media to burn to if you have a lot of stuff to backup, and the media is the killer in terms of price. Single layer disks are still like $15 - $18 each. The best solution for data backup (and the cheapest) is still an extra harddrive (internal or external.)

As for watching movies using a blu-ray optical drive for pc, people need HDCP compliant monitors and videocards anyway and honestly anything less than a 24" LCD or larger isn't going to allow for 1080p anyway.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2008-02-20 09:46 ]</font>

kevlar_pso
Feb 20, 2008, 03:08 PM
On 2008-02-18 08:34, BogusKun wrote:
Blu Ray has far more space... 25Gigs for a movie is TOTALLY unnecessary. . . .

HD-DVD approved a disk to contain over 50 gigs about six months back. but you are right, who really needs that much space. That is just a bullet point that is now irrelevant to the back of the Blu-Ray box.

amtalx
Feb 20, 2008, 03:14 PM
I believe the higher capacity HD-DVD discs were going to be multi-layer, basically HD-DVDs version of a DVD9. I never heard anything concrete but I think both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray formats were capable of layering well beyond 2. After 3 or 4 layers, the amount of space far exceeds anything necessary for typical video. It just becomes a roomy storage volume.

Sol_B4dguy
Feb 20, 2008, 10:16 PM
So ends an unneeded technology battle. Anyone else remembering the Betamax vs. VHS wars earlier? If my understanding is correct on the matter, VHS won for the same reason Blu-Ray probably would've.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2008-02-20 19:20 ]</font>

echo-2003
Feb 22, 2008, 07:13 PM
On 2008-02-17 09:31, rogue_robot wrote:
...but still not valuable enough to make me care.

I'm just not into all that PS3 eye-candy, and HDTVs are still to ridiculously expensive. None of the games seem particularly new or interesting, either (or they're available for the 360 I've already got).

I know my dad isn't gonna be happy about this situation, though. He'd already grabbed a couple HD-DVD copies of some movies, and was waiting for the players to become reasonably priced. If Blu-Ray really has secured an almost complete victory, those players might not hang around long enough for that to happen

EDIT: Oops, left out "enough."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rogue_robot on 2008-02-17 09:31 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rogue_robot on 2008-02-17 09:34 ]</font>

Not into PS3 eye candy but into 360 eye candy <rolls eyes>. Let me guess? Gameplay over graphics? Tell me, do you like 3-d? well that's graphic progress and without it we wouldn't be playing the games we have today.

I don't get the biased views of people who don't like Sony's business moves, well read up on Nintendo, Microsoft, Toshiba's history less you make yourselves look like bigots. Sony is an angel compared to these companies.

The real challenge for HD has been convincing the upgrade. Costs have come way down but is still out of reach for most.

Compare this to the beta/Vhs thing. Beta was superior and lost. Blu-Ray is superior and won. Only The HD-DUD crowd says otherwise.

I'm glad this whole thing is done though as now we can look forward to seeing lots of great movies.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: echo-2003 on 2008-02-22 16:15 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: echo-2003 on 2008-02-22 16:16 ]</font>

Sexy_Raine
Feb 22, 2008, 10:51 PM
I don't know what happen to my other post, but I already figured this would happen when HD DVD lost Warner Bros. support.

Makes me wonder what Xpox is going to do now, will MS have to support Sony's Blu-ray forma tfor their system? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Either way, this made PS3 more valuable to have for the Blu-ray feature. I plan to get one soon.