PDA

View Full Version : New Xbox vs. Repair old one

Zainith
Feb 19, 2008, 10:04 AM
Ok, after about a week my 360 finally died on me(though instead of the predicted RRoD, I just got one red light) so now I have a decision to make. I have had my eye on getting a 360 Elite for awhile now, though the difference between $450 and $100 to repair my old xbox is a bit staggering. I have the money to buy an Elite with no problem, I just don't know if there is much sense in it all. Frankly im just an impatient person, plus I don't want to possibly end up late when Maximum Attack G comes to our servers. So, what do you all think I should do? Buy an Elite, or repair my old, normal 360?

Jaspaller
Feb 19, 2008, 10:20 AM
Towel Trick, three red lights, send in for repair for free lol

SubstanceD
Feb 19, 2008, 02:45 PM
On 2008-02-19 07:04, Zainith wrote:
Ok, after about a week my 360 finally died on me(though instead of the predicted RRoD, I just got one red light) so now I have a decision to make. I have had my eye on getting a 360 Elite for awhile now, though the difference between $450 and $100 to repair my old xbox is a bit staggering. I have the money to buy an Elite with no problem, I just don't know if there is much sense in it all. Frankly im just an impatient person, plus I don't want to possibly end up late when Maximum Attack G comes to our servers. So, what do you all think I should do? Buy an Elite, or repair my old, normal 360?

Only 1 red Light? Are you sure your 360 is dead? I recieved the flashing red light a couple of times on my old 360 before I realised that my cables wern't plugged in as well as they should/could have been. All I had to do was unplug my 360 and then plug it back in again adn it worked fine. Of course, last year December I finally recieved the dredded Red Rings of Death and I knew my 360 was well and trully fucked but I will get back to that topic later.

Anyway, if your 360 is dead then it you can send it away to Microsoft for repair since it is covered under thier extended 3 year warrenty ( at no expence to yourself ), as long as somthing is really wrong with it ( it does not have to be the Red Rings, as long as the console is well and trully dead ).

Second of all, about your impatience, I understand. I am very similar to you. When my 360 Pro broke down, I knew I was not going to get it back untill after Christmas so I went out and bought a 360 arcade ( which I will later trade in for a PS3 ). Yes, in the long run it was probably stupid of me to buy another 360 when the other died but at least I have a plan, granted I am not going to get much for my 360 arcade in trade ( it would have been cheaper just to buy a PS3 right then and there, it's just that I had soo many 360 games that I wanted to play over Christmas ). For you things are slightly different, I traded in some crap and bought a 360 arcade for just over 200 Euro. A 360 elite costs more money. For you ( and only you can make this call ), an Elite costs more or less 450.00 over here in Ireland, is it worth to spend this kind of money just because you can't wait 2-3 weeks ( the time might be less for you since you probably live in the US ) for your 360 to get repaired?

raikomaru40
Feb 19, 2008, 02:48 PM
teh L33t has a better cooling system, and it's black, but, other than that, no reason to get it. you should repair the 360 and save your money

NPCMook
Feb 19, 2008, 03:53 PM
Actually all of the newer models have improved cooling including an HDMI port, so its kind of hit or miss if they can't fix your Xbox within 10 days of arrival they send you a new one

Saner
Feb 19, 2008, 04:36 PM
could you still do the tower trick if it gets 3 red lights? Might as well send it in and get it
fixed for free. Saves you at least 2 games worth of
moolah. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Christmas
Feb 19, 2008, 05:00 PM
I've always wanted to use this link :
http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/digitaljoystick/archives/131801.asp

There are a few things you can do with 1 light. Try a new AV cable, try booting without the 360 Harddrive in it. Did you just update the 360 recently? That could cause it as well.
Edit: I was wrong on the lights.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Christmas on 2008-02-19 14:03 ]</font>

Rashiid
Feb 19, 2008, 05:29 PM
1 red light means that something is wrong with the cables (usually not plugged in)
2 is something else odd (friend got that)
3 means it's the harddrive (dead)
4.....step back and prepare for impact.

Christmas
Feb 19, 2008, 06:34 PM
I'd suggest you go here to at least understand what is wrong:
http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/Xbox-360-error-codes.htm

McLaughlin
Feb 19, 2008, 06:38 PM
Isn't one red light a cable problem?

I'd say just send it in, but I'm a little more stingy with my money.

Rashiid
Feb 19, 2008, 08:26 PM
I had the top left one flashing once, and I just plugged in my color cords and it was fixed.
I say just get a new one, nice and fresh =]

Raine_Loire
Feb 20, 2008, 01:52 AM
I'd read the link Christmas added- I have a site like that that I use http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=484726

If I had the money for an elite, I'd get one, but unless you need a LOT of HD space there really isn't a REASON to get one... But I don't ever advocate wasting money on something if you have one already. I'd just send it in- MS repairs are really good lately- we didn't have proof of warranty or a receipt or anything and they repaired ours for free ^_^

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Raine_Loire on 2008-02-19 22:53 ]</font>

Christmas
Feb 20, 2008, 03:07 AM
Yeah, xbox-scene is a great place and the origin of the guide on llama.com. I go to their forums for many reasons.

Honestly, right now is the time to send the 360 in if you do it quickly. You won't be missing much if you send it in without stalling.