PDA

View Full Version : Field Manual by Chris Walla

CupOfCoffee
Feb 19, 2008, 02:16 PM
I'll admit, I was pretty psyched when I found out Chris Walla was putting out some solo work. The guy unquestionably knows how to put together an album--he's one of the guitarists for Death Cab and has produced all their stuff, and he's worked with other semi-big indie names like the Decemberists and Tegan and Sara.

But "Field Manual" just seems like a watered down afterthought to Death Cab's "Transatlanticism," which came out... what, five years ago? A few of the songs are somewhat catchy ("Geometry & C," "Fifty-Two") and the sound of it as a whole record isn't half bad, but Walla's vocals never really break out of backup mode and it comes across sounding like some kind of lame emo karaoke half the time. Also, Walla's gimped lyrical mix that halfheartedly touches on all kinds of weird subjects from current politics to finding the love of his life just doesn't really ever seem to find a solid direction to travel in. I guess I'd give it the album a solid 6.5/10, or a halfway enthusiastic "meh."

Anyone else pick this up?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CupOfCoffee on 2008-02-19 11:17 ]</font>

Solstis
Feb 19, 2008, 03:22 PM
I'm listening to some of the tracks, not sure if I'll pick it up or not.

So far, I'd say, "Music to Sleep To." Geometry & C if definitely well produced, but it sounds a bit too much like Coldplay's X&Y. Or, well, Deathcab.

I might nab a single or two, but I'm not too excited about Field Manual.