PDA

View Full Version : Dreamspark

Christmas
Feb 19, 2008, 04:09 PM
Microsoft and Bill Gates just recently announced that they'll be giving away several of their developing and design tools to HS and college students. I know to some it's a good cause, others a business move, but hey it's free.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,142597-c,software/article.html

http://channel8.msdn.com/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Christmas on 2008-02-19 20:38 ]</font>

HUnewearl_Meira
Feb 19, 2008, 09:35 PM
Microsoft certainly seems to be stressing their development tools, as of late. It's also noteworthy that they released freeware versions of all of Visual Studio's components, a couple of years ago, now. I'm given to wonder what their angle is.

Randomness
Feb 19, 2008, 09:37 PM
On 2008-02-19 18:35, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
Microsoft certainly seems to be stressing their development tools, as of late. It's also noteworthy that they released freeware versions of all of Visual Studio's components, a couple of years ago, now. I'm given to wonder what their angle is.

My cynical side says this:

1-Get people using Microsoft products
2-Keep them using Microsft products to the point of relying on them and not open-source software
3-Charge money
4-Profit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Randomness on 2008-02-19 18:39 ]</font>

Sgt_Shligger
Feb 19, 2008, 10:12 PM
On 2008-02-19 18:37, Randomness wrote:

My cynical side says this:

1-Get people using Microsoft products
2-Keep them using Microsft products to the point of relying on them and not open-source software
3-Charge money
4-Profit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Randomness on 2008-02-19 18:39 ]</font>

They'll need to make their products nearly uncompareable to their open-source counterparts. To make profit, they'll need to make trials long enough so people will become dependent upon them. The open-source option should be so far behind and lower in quality that Microsoft's product will be the only choice.

SabZero
Feb 20, 2008, 09:24 AM

The angle is, that if all (new) developers only know Microsoft, then the hiring companies are forced to use it too, or re-educate them graduates on their money. With MS developing tools also comes the need to use MS OS, browser etcetc.

Christmas
Feb 20, 2008, 10:25 AM
"Get them while they're young."