PDA

View Full Version : 2012 end?

elainesangel9
Feb 21, 2008, 03:09 PM
its a scary topic I think.
the mayan calender sais it is the end of the world. there is something about a meteor coming for earth to, but does anybody actually know any facts on this? i looked but im not having much luck lol.
im probably just being paranoid lol..ahhhhhhh!

Shadowpawn
Feb 21, 2008, 03:12 PM
(Didn't we do this in FKL..., if only the Diz man were here.)

Actually the Mayan calendar ends there because they didn't complete it further than that. Yes, a meteor is said to be apporach Earth in 2012 but no one said it would hit us. So relax.

Anduril
Feb 21, 2008, 03:15 PM
Actually it isn't said to be the end of the world, but rather of an age. Along the lines of an event that will alter life as we know it.

BlaizeYES
Feb 21, 2008, 03:18 PM
and you mean by end of an age, you mean the end of civilization.

and yes, its the end of the world. go skydiving, rocky mountain climbing, go 2.7 seconds on a bull name flu manchu

elainesangel9
Feb 21, 2008, 03:19 PM
yea, but im reading something about a comet planet, , I think the gravitational pull from something that big would cause some kind of chaos, but hell, who really knows?
anyway, nostrawhatshisname, predicted this would happen in 1999 but it didnt, idk

CelestialBlade
Feb 21, 2008, 03:26 PM
I think it's been given a very negative connotation. December 12, 2012 is the end of the Mayan "Long Count" and is supposed to symbolize a transition of ages. It is said that we will achieve a state of great enlightenment and there will be no more wars, famine, poverty, etc. Although it certainly seems impractical, it's quite a beautiful concept and a much more positive end than any [popular] modern-day religion would like to provide.

On the other hand, I'm aware that there IS a meteor that is supposed to pass fairly close to Earth somewhere around that time (give or take a few decades), but I think it only has a NASA threat rating of 1/10.

elainesangel9
Feb 21, 2008, 03:30 PM
they say its small yea that makes me feel good lol, but a COMET PPLANET? holy hell thats terrifying

Raine_Loire
Feb 21, 2008, 03:33 PM
Jack Van Impe believes 2012 will be the start of the 7 years of Armageddon, if you believe the religious stuff... My mom's like- giving away her possessions...

elainesangel9
Feb 21, 2008, 03:53 PM
My best freind is completely sure its the truth, but im not, idk,
im reading this lol, bored at school and the topic came up in class, of course, my teacher thinks that the cia follows him...LOL
http://www.endoftime2012.com/

Raine_Loire
Feb 21, 2008, 04:06 PM
On 2008-02-21 12:53, elainesangel9 wrote:
My best freind is completely sure its the truth, but im not, idk,
im reading this lol, bored at school and the topic came up in class, of course, my teacher thinks that the cia follows him...LOL
http://www.endoftime2012.com/

Here's one for ya

http://www.armageddononline.org/mayan_calendar.php

elainesangel9
Feb 21, 2008, 04:09 PM
such...a...long...read....*breaths*

Ragrappy99
Feb 21, 2008, 04:27 PM
Meh. People say the world is going to end all the time..

McLaughlin
Feb 21, 2008, 05:13 PM
If there were a comet approaching, we'd already know about it.

HUnewearl_Meira
Feb 21, 2008, 05:26 PM
On 2008-02-21 12:26, Typheros wrote:
I think it's been given a very negative connotation. December 12, 2012 is the end of the Mayan "Long Count" and is supposed to symbolize a transition of ages. It is said that we will achieve a state of great enlightenment and there will be no more wars, famine, poverty, etc.

That's actually pretty well in-line with Biblical Christianity (the book of Revelations speaks of 1,000 years of peace, as I recall), as opposed to Popular Christianity (that whole "rapture" BS is absent from the Bible-- ignore it).

It's worth pointing out that the Mayan calendar identifies dates that are far, far into the future, beyond 2012; they're prophetic references, however, and not part of a regular date count.

Personally, insofar as we can consider the Apocalypse, I think that the best advice that can be given regarding it, is to behave skeptically. Be prepared to live your life normally through to your death. After all, thousands of generations have lived and died without seeing the End of the World, so it's rather likely that our generation will have that same experience.

Randomness
Feb 21, 2008, 05:48 PM
On 2008-02-21 14:26, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

On 2008-02-21 12:26, Typheros wrote:
I think it's been given a very negative connotation. December 12, 2012 is the end of the Mayan "Long Count" and is supposed to symbolize a transition of ages. It is said that we will achieve a state of great enlightenment and there will be no more wars, famine, poverty, etc.

That's actually pretty well in-line with Biblical Christianity (the book of Revelations speaks of 1,000 years of peace, as I recall), as opposed to Popular Christianity (that whole "rapture" BS is absent from the Bible-- ignore it).

It's worth pointing out that the Mayan calendar identifies dates that are far, far into the future, beyond 2012; they're prophetic references, however, and not part of a regular date count.

Personally, insofar as we can consider the Apocalypse, I think that the best advice that can be given regarding it, is to behave skeptically. Be prepared to live your life normally through to your death. After all, thousands of generations have lived and died without seeing the End of the World, so it's rather likely that our generation will have that same experience.

Not to mention how many doomsday prophecies have come and gone with nothing happening.

The only thing this one has going for it is that theres a few seperate references to that year.

As for 1,000 years of peace from Revelations, last I checked, that was the length of the reign of the antichrist. Would have to find the passage again to be sure though.

Rubius-sama
Feb 21, 2008, 06:02 PM
On 2008-02-21 13:27, Ragrappy99 wrote:
Meh. People say the world is going to end all the time..

QFT

Sekani
Feb 21, 2008, 07:02 PM
According to certain tabloid, the world was scheduled to end roughly 15 times between 1999 and today.

imfanboy
Feb 21, 2008, 07:03 PM
Tell your friend he's an idiot. 2012 is the end of the Fifth World and beginning of the Sixth. It's not going to be a violent end.

He's just fallen for Apocalypse Fever. It's a common feeling among, well, people who have problems... accepting that they're going to die someday, so they project their own death onto the rest of the world. Whether it be Global Thermonuclear War, Rapture, or whatever else, people are constantly falling for it.

On a side note, I need to print a bumpersticker that says "Atheists For The Rapture: God, Get 'em Off MY Planet!"

Randomness
Feb 21, 2008, 07:29 PM
On 2008-02-21 16:03, imfanboy wrote:
Tell your friend he's an idiot. 2012 is the end of the Fifth World and beginning of the Sixth. It's not going to be a violent end.

He's just fallen for Apocalypse Fever. It's a common feeling among, well, people who have problems... accepting that they're going to die someday, so they project their own death onto the rest of the world. Whether it be Global Thermonuclear War, Rapture, or whatever else, people are constantly falling for it.

On a side note, I need to print a bumpersticker that says "Atheists For The Rapture: God, Get 'em Off MY Planet!"

Removing 144,000 people ain't going to change anything.

Sinue_v2
Feb 21, 2008, 07:44 PM
the mayan calender sais it is the end of the world.

lol, no. The end of the Mayan Calendar is no more ominous than Dec 31st on the Gregorian calendar. It's just a lot longer. People love a good scare though. We watch horror movies, ride roller coasters, pensively watch the terror alert status, claim GW is going to turn Earth into Venus if we don't all drive hybrids, and make apocalyptic predictions. It's almost a shame the Cold War ended, but hey, we're working on starting a new one.

Anyhow, no - the end isn't in 2012. However, you might want to keep an eye out for the Technological Singularity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity), which some predict will be here by as early as 2020. No idea what that might mean for humanity, so it's not so much a doomsday as it is a big question mark. After the singularity, nobody can make any predictable forecasts of technology or the future.

Me, I'm looking forward to it. Transhumanism? Fuck Yeah!

Actually, we probably wouldn't. I think the best estimates of known NEO's Tunguska sized or larger is about 20%. I've heard it compaired to Rummys famous "Knowns, Known Unknowns, and Unknown Unknowns." The ratio of Known Unknow and Unknown Unknown objects far supersceeds the objects we do know about and can track.

Edit:

they say its small yea that makes me feel good lol, but a COMET PPLANET?

Do you mean Nibiru? Some claim it is returning around 2012, but usually only tin-foil hatters and neo-spiritualists. I haven't read much of Zecharia Sitchin's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zecharia_Sitchin) work, but I've read some of Worlds in Collision by Immanuel Velikovsky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immanuel_Velikovsky). The two authors are very similar in that they try to reconcile astronomy/geology/biology/etc with various world religions to try to fill in what they call a "collective amnesia". Interesting, but little more than pseudoscience full of holes, leaps of faith, and inaccuracies, and flights of fancy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2008-02-21 18:30 ]</font>

Ryno
Feb 21, 2008, 08:05 PM
On 2008-02-21 12:09, elainesangel9 wrote:
the mayan calender sais it is the end of the world. there is something about a meteor coming for earth to, but does anybody actually know any facts on this? i looked but im not having much luck lol.

what a dumb topic... please FKL it.

I don't believe in no mayan calender I believe in God.

and thats good that you're not having luck cause it's not true!

you need to pray to God and read your bible. to stop thinking negative thoughts.

Randomness
Feb 21, 2008, 08:24 PM
On 2008-02-21 17:05, Ryno wrote:

you need to pray to God and read your bible. to stop thinking negative thoughts.

You deciding a topic is dumb does not qualify it for the high standards of FKL. This topic has far to much serious discussion going on to be accepted into that elite group of threads.

Stezan
Feb 21, 2008, 10:28 PM
The Asteroid some people here might be thinking of is 99942 Apophis: It is predicted that the asteroid will pass close to Earth in 2029. The Earth's gravity has a small (small) possibility of slightly altering the asteroid's trajectory such that it could impact Earth in 2036.

KaneKahn
Feb 22, 2008, 12:14 AM
Stezan, sorry to tell you but once it passes the Earth, it will collide with Venus. As for the world ending the year 2012, no it wont trust me. If you are really worried about it kill yourself now, so the whining will end. The way the world will end for humanity is either a massive world war or one of the super germs that the USA has concocted gets loss/used.

Syl
Feb 22, 2008, 12:26 AM
Oh hay, you guys seem to have forgotten about good ol LHC

http://www.st.com/stonline/stappl/publish/stwebresources/PL__Press__Release/CERN_LHC_t2030shigh.jpeg

Although it's all theories and such, the fact that we won't know until it's turned on in May this year is a bit scary.

Raine_Loire
Feb 22, 2008, 02:41 AM

There are religious leaders who also believe 2012 will be the beginning of the end, and actually cite the mayan calendar as a reference, as well as the bible. Considering all interpretations of the bible are just that- interpretations- yet there is mention OF the end times, it makes sense that any exterior indication of the end of the world would create panic among religious people as well as superstitious nuts. As I said, my mother believes 2012 is it, as does my 17 year old brother, and they are both religious, my dad jokes that my mom knows the bible better than God does... It isn't a religion VS Mayan discussion.

AlexCraig
Feb 22, 2008, 02:54 AM
I really don't think religions or prophets have anything to do with it aside from naming the date. What cold, hard, written in stone (metaphorically) facts do we have that indicate that it will, beyond any shadow of a doubt, be the end of the world/an age/whatever? Nothing. At that time, I'm going to be sipping champaign while listening to people outside screaming "IT'S THE END!!" when NOTHING happens. Then I will simply open my door, tell them to "shut up and get off my lawn", then go back inside and sleep the rest of the night away.

NPCMook
Feb 22, 2008, 05:47 AM

Just wow Ryno... I mean WOW I didn't realise you were this close-minded...

Anyways if you wanted this to be an FKL Topic: 2012 is when the SEED will officially attack earth, and we will all flee on Pioneer one to Ragol!

On topic: I've known about 2012 since I was 12 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif At first, I thought about it and wondered about these "End of the world" predictions, and as I grew I just started thinking... I'll just wait it out and accept what happens!

elainesangel9
Feb 22, 2008, 10:00 AM
Im not saying its the end, I was interested in peoples opinions. as for niburu, I dont believe in it, but if t did exist, would we really be told about it? on another note, I heard abot the comet in 2036, thats what originally freaked me out. but my friends like "no dude, its coming i 2012." anyway, biblically I think Niburu makes sense, but I think I might be missing something, I mean , a mountain is supposed to fall from the sky, and fire must rain down.
idk, Im not toooo worried, I wont be actually you know, till I see a giant flaming wasteland in the sky

Abashi76
Feb 22, 2008, 10:36 AM

Whew, I thought it could be when PSU servers in the US were to be shut down forever http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

Kylie
Feb 22, 2008, 12:50 PM
If we die, cool. There's no use worrying over the inevitable. But I doubt we'll be finished off by a meteor because we'd know years in advance before it hit and would probably come up with a solution.

amtalx
Feb 22, 2008, 01:11 PM
On 2008-02-22 09:50, Kylie wrote:
If we die, cool. There's no use worrying over the inevitable. But I doubt we'll be finished off by a meteor because we'd know years in advance before it hit and would probably come up with a solution.

Quite the opposite actually. We are only aware of/tracking about 1% of all the swirling space debris that is coming in earths general direction.

The problem is...space is dark. Unless an object passes infront of something else, there is really no way to tell its out there. It's unlikely we will be completely blind-sided, but by the time anything gets close enough for someone to be "hey look!" we won't have time to defend ourselves.

Kylie
Feb 22, 2008, 01:29 PM
I was going by a documentary I watched on the History Channel about this that said we'd not only be able to detect the meteor before it hit, but we'd also know the exact time it'd impact the earth. The program was the "Top Ten Mega Disasters" iirc. It could have been wrong, but I always regard stuff from that channel as accurate. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

CelestialBlade
Feb 22, 2008, 01:46 PM
We may be able to track *meteors*, but ice comets are almost completely invisible. By the time we found one of those, it would be far, far too late. And as Sinue said, there's actually a frightening amount of stuff out there we really don't know about. We can very accurately predict the trajectories of the meteors we know about, but that's a low percentage of them. In all honesty, it could happen a century from now, a decade, a year, a month, a week, or hell, even tomorrow.

Also, Nibiru or "Planet X" isn't physically possible. For the amount of time it supposedly comes by our planet, it would have to have an impossibly large orbit. That theory got debunked a long time ago.

For those of you interested in this sort of thing, there's a great website that documents all sorts of things like this: http://www.exitmundi.nl

Banish
Feb 22, 2008, 02:31 PM
Yes, around 2010 and 2012 the world should end.

amtalx
Feb 22, 2008, 03:31 PM
On 2008-02-22 10:29, Kylie wrote:
I was going by a documentary I watched on the History Channel about this that said we'd not only be able to detect the meteor before it hit, but we'd also know the exact time it'd impact the earth. The program was the "Top Ten Mega Disasters" iirc. It could have been wrong, but I always regard stuff from that channel as accurate. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

It's true that we have the ability to track bodies in space with incredible accuracy. Where humanity is boned is just the detection part. I'm hoping we get lucky and happen to be looking in the right place at the right time if there is a body on a collision course with Earth.

Of course, the other problem with it is: How do we stop it? If its big enough...we can't. As morbid as it is, I find the concept of getting hit by something larger than Earth amusing. Its unlikely though, as bodies that large are rarely rogue and have settled into some kind of regular orbit. A smaller object may be vulerable to a nuclear attack, but we run the risk of breaking it up into lots of peices that are still large enough to get through the atmosphere, making the problem worse. But that all hinges on our ability to hit something moving 1000s of MPH, which is no easy task to begin with.

Now that I think about it, I do remember seeing that show on the History Channel. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I don't remember what exactly was said, but I do remember the tone of the show being more "good television based on science". While none of the things they said were wrong they bent a few rules to make things a bit more entertaining.

DonRoyale
Feb 22, 2008, 03:38 PM
I also heard global warming's real.

For real, yo.

Ragrappy99
Feb 22, 2008, 04:43 PM
[quote]There's a great website that documents all sorts of things like this: http://www.exitmundi.nl</div></blockquote>

Most interesting site ever!

EDIT: Bah, im sick of trying to get this quote thing to work..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ragrappy99 on 2008-02-22 13:48 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ragrappy99 on 2008-02-22 13:48 ]</font>

KaneKahn
Feb 22, 2008, 06:08 PM
On 2008-02-21 21:26, SylviaEspada wrote:

http://www.st.com/stonline/stappl/publish/stwebresources/PL__Press__Release/CERN_LHC_t2030shigh.jpeg

Although it's all theories and such, the fact that we won't know until it's turned on in May this year is a bit scary.

What is your point of randomness with this? It is just a Large Hadron Collider. There is no way streaming Atom/Molecule A towards Atom/Molecule B at near light speeds could end the world. Unless you are going with how much energy it drains each time you even just turn on the lights. Even then it'd take thousands of years to use up enough fossil fuel energy to blanket the world in pollution.

Sinue_v2
Feb 22, 2008, 06:22 PM
Unless of course the LHC manages to produce strangelets which then proceed to act as a seed and turn every molecule it comes into contact with into strangelets in a cascading chain reaction. I.E. Ice-Nine style.

KaneKahn
Feb 22, 2008, 11:11 PM
Never happen. The Earth doesn't possess enough gravity to effect the acceleration process. You'd need to do it on a planet with Neptune gravity or better in order to even effect the collision to form strangelets (or a mini black hole like event). The fact that in a strangelet event they only survive about 10-10 to 10-23 seconds, again due to the Earth's relatively small gravity. Thinking like that is why everyone seems to be worried with "what can happen" and not worried about "what is happening right now".

KodiaX987
Feb 22, 2008, 11:52 PM
2012, huh?

That still leaves me four years to think up a zombie plan.

omegapirate2k
Feb 23, 2008, 01:23 AM
lol apocalypse theories.

Kylie
Feb 23, 2008, 01:34 PM
On 2008-02-22 12:31, amtalx wrote:

On 2008-02-22 10:29, Kylie wrote:

Now that I think about it, I do remember seeing that show on the History Channel. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I don't remember what exactly was said, but I do remember the tone of the show being more "good television based on science". While none of the things they said were wrong they bent a few rules to make things a bit more entertaining.

Ah, I wouldn't doubt that now that you mention it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Seority
Feb 23, 2008, 02:24 PM
Thinking like that is why everyone seems to be worried with "what can happen" and not worried about "what is happening right now".
I think KaneKahn pretty much summed this up.

Besides, there's more things, more likely possible things that could, maybe not end the planet earth, but humanity as a race intirely. If I could say which way is more possible for us to die is by our own hands, which is becoming more and more of a reality daily. As far is global peace is a happy theory, right now, I just don't see that happening. Yes, it's true that we are wasting this planet away by using up the elements it has, and there is a limit to those elements. It will be many. many years before we truly run out of it, but they will end. It's possible people of now are fearing for that in the future, but the sad thing is that there is nothing we can do as a race to help that fact. The only thing that is slightly possible is to haul all of our fat butts to another habitable planet, which, right now, are none that meet all our needs when this one inevitably goes down the tubs. So, yay to world peace, but the earth will die eventually. Are we to blame? Yes, but as many put it, this is how history has gone so this is how it was supposed to happen. We rise as an intelligent race, dominate, then use it up. I spose to sum that up, we we're not ment to live forever as a race, unless, again, we find another planet.
So go ahead and be scared for the inevitable truth, not like anything like that is going to change. We just have to the choice to live till then, or destroy ourselves before that happens. It's up to us.
If you are looking for true peace in your life and to gain the most from it, stop worrying of the inevitable, and enjoy life for what you can. Live life and get the most you can from it. The air you breathe today will be more polluted tomarrow. Everyday, your vision gets slightly worse. No tomarrow is guaranteed. Yadda yadda. Appriciate the life you have.

SAUR0N
Feb 24, 2008, 08:12 PM
It's not the end of the world at 2012. What about the Jewish or Chinese people who follow different calenders? Why does NASA have plans for beyond 2012 if the world is ending then? Don't give into the people trying to make a buck over this stuff. Makes for a good story or a quick buck but it's not reality.It's not the first time the end of the world has been predicted. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Ilaya
Feb 25, 2008, 05:04 AM
heard about most the theories mentioned previously and the 2029/2034 comet is prolly the one thats got me a bit worried, however, there's an even scarier threat out there..

Neutron stars anyone?... that pulse could hit us ANYTIME..

elainesangel9
Feb 25, 2008, 11:28 AM
On 2008-02-25 02:04, Ilaya wrote:
heard about most the theories mentioned previously and the 2029/2034 comet is prolly the one thats got me a bit worried, however, there's an even scarier threat out there..

Neutron stars anyone?... that pulse could hit us ANYTIME..

pulse? are you talking about a Gamma ray blast? ( not sure if thats what its called) but NASA sais it would vaporize earths surface. although its only a 1% chance of happening during earhts lifetime

Genoa
Feb 25, 2008, 01:57 PM
Perhaps ... we will have to leave our home planet and board 2 giant space colonies known as Pioneer 1 and Pioneer 2 and find a new home...
... I call dibs on Pioneer 2 !!!! =D

KaneKahn
Feb 25, 2008, 04:06 PM
If that is the case then I'd most likely become Olga Flow, because I am stubborn and refuse to die XD

Nidramag
Feb 25, 2008, 06:11 PM
or maybe, they just stopped, figuring their decendants would finish it without, y'know, FREAKING OUT ABOUT NOTHING

PALRAPPYS
Feb 25, 2008, 07:17 PM
Meh, like some old random people from like, what, the 800's or something? Tell me how they'd know. Back then, and really before around just the 1600's, nobody knew anything about almost anything. Just guesses I believe.

(And I agree with Ryno... however I don't want to get an argument started on that...)

Nitro Vordex
Feb 28, 2008, 08:03 PM
On 2008-02-22 15:08, KaneKahn wrote:

On 2008-02-21 21:26, SylviaEspada wrote:

What is your point of randomness with this? It is just a Large Hadron Collider. There is no way streaming Atom/Molecule A towards Atom/Molecule B at near light speeds could end the world. Unless you are going with how much energy it drains each time you even just turn on the lights. Even then it'd take thousands of years to use up enough fossil fuel energy to blanket the world in pollution.

Idiot question: What the hell is that?

KaneKahn
Feb 29, 2008, 05:13 AM
A gigantic 27km long from beginning to end underground particle accelerator.

elainesangel9
Feb 29, 2008, 10:07 AM
On 2008-02-29 02:13, KaneKahn wrote:

its going to relese tiny black holes that could concume earth, although this has been proven false, because the tiny black holes would be deterioated by a certian radiation. I think they are worrying about the radiation though, it could cause damage of some sort?

Temjin-On
Feb 29, 2008, 04:56 PM
2012 won't be the end, because remember, Y2K was supposed to own the world back into the stoneages or something and we are still doing fine today.

This really is much ado about nothing.

Weeaboolits
Feb 29, 2008, 05:09 PM
I wouldn't be too worried about it quite yet, I remember seeing something about another galaxy that's supposed to collide with this one, but that'll be in like 10,000 years, plenty of time. Then there's the sun going nova, but that'll probly take another 10 million (or was it billion? I forget) or something, I'm not too worried.

Frana
Feb 29, 2008, 06:06 PM
On 2008-02-21 16:44, Sinue_v2 wrote:

the mayan calender sais it is the end of the world.

lol, no. The end of the Mayan Calendar is no more ominous than Dec 31st on the Gregorian calendar. It's just a lot longer. People love a good scare though. We watch horror movies, ride roller coasters, pensively watch the terror alert status, claim GW is going to turn Earth into Venus if we don't all drive hybrids, and make apocalyptic predictions. It's almost a shame the Cold War ended, but hey, we're working on starting a new one.

Anyhow, no - the end isn't in 2012. However, you might want to keep an eye out for the Technological Singularity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity), which some predict will be here by as early as 2020. No idea what that might mean for humanity, so it's not so much a doomsday as it is a big question mark. After the singularity, nobody can make any predictable forecasts of technology or the future.

Me, I'm looking forward to it. Transhumanism? Fuck Yeah!

Actually, we probably wouldn't. I think the best estimates of known NEO's Tunguska sized or larger is about 20%. I've heard it compaired to Rummys famous "Knowns, Known Unknowns, and Unknown Unknowns." The ratio of Known Unknow and Unknown Unknown objects far supersceeds the objects we do know about and can track.

Edit:

they say its small yea that makes me feel good lol, but a COMET PPLANET?

Do you mean Nibiru? Some claim it is returning around 2012, but usually only tin-foil hatters and neo-spiritualists. I haven't read much of Zecharia Sitchin's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zecharia_Sitchin) work, but I've read some of Worlds in Collision by Immanuel Velikovsky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immanuel_Velikovsky). The two authors are very similar in that they try to reconcile astronomy/geology/biology/etc with various world religions to try to fill in what they call a "collective amnesia". Interesting, but little more than pseudoscience full of holes, leaps of faith, and inaccuracies, and flights of fancy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2008-02-21 18:30 ]</font>

Yay, another boondocks fan.

Quoting Metal Gear Solid. "Just live."

KaneKahn
Feb 29, 2008, 06:55 PM
On 2008-02-29 07:07, elainesangel9 wrote:

On 2008-02-29 02:13, KaneKahn wrote:

its going to relese tiny black holes that could concume earth, although this has been proven false, because the tiny black holes would be deterioated by a certian radiation. I think they are worrying about the radiation though, it could cause damage of some sort?

That is basically what I said. If there is one created it'll be so small and so insignificant that it'd either collapse under it's own pressures or burst due to the lack of matter to fuel it.

Sinue_v2
Feb 29, 2008, 08:05 PM
although this has been proven false, because the tiny black holes would be deterioated by a certian radiation.

Hawking Radiation. And it hasn't been observed or measured yet, so no-one actually knows if it really exists or if he's completely wrong.

Banish
Mar 1, 2008, 01:03 PM
As the world becomes increasingly populated, it is also becoming alarmingly polluted. We deplete more resources, produce more waste, and cause more environmental strain then ever before. Unfortunately, the only things left to do is to reduce all that, because it is never ending. World ending by 2012? Probably... and then we’ll be on Mars lol.

Nitro Vordex
Mar 1, 2008, 01:13 PM
Volcanoes cause more pollution than we do. Look it up.

Sinue_v2
Mar 1, 2008, 04:44 PM
Poverty is the biggest polluter and largest cause of overpopulation. If we eliminate poverty, then we can actually start working on effectively reducing our byproducts. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Seority
Mar 1, 2008, 10:44 PM
Poverty?
So being home-less means you are destroying the eath?
o.O' new to me.
Just in case I'm the only one confused.

Dictionary.com
pov·er·ty
1. the state or condition of having little or no money, goods, or means of support; condition of being poor; indigence.
2. deficiency of necessary or desirable ingredients, qualities, etc.: poverty of the soil.
3. scantiness; insufficiency: Their efforts to stamp out disease were hampered by a poverty of medical supplies.

Here's the link since I've been accused of not putting down all the information before. -rollseyes- If you really did want to read the whole description in the first place. I hoped most of you already knew these words in elementary. XP

POVERTY (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/poverty)

On 2008-03-01 10:13, Nitro_Vordex wrote:
Volcanoes cause more pollution than we do. Look it up.

Looked it up.

Volcanos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanos)
Volcanic Crap (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Volcanic_injection.jpg)
I do believe volcanos create new land with rich, fertile soil. I believe that's in there too. Do we, as humans, give out the same usefulness back to the earth as we take out? I know we try, but so far are efforts are quite useless to the inevitable. In the end, who's polluting more?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Seority on 2008-03-01 19:46 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Mar 2, 2008, 12:12 AM
Poverty striken people have more to worry about than what they're doing to the environment. They're more worried about basic survival and providing for their families. Which option would a poor family living paycheck to paycheck choose? The fancy expensive new hybrids which pollute less, or a $500 clunker that burns oil with no muffler? What about the family pinching pennies to get by at the end of the month? Are they really going to haul their old electronics, batteries, paint, and other hazardous materials (especially with gas prices being what they are) to a proper facility and then (often) PAY to have them dispose of it? Hell no. If they can't get the trashman to take it, they'll break it up into smaller pieces and sneak it in the trash - or pitch it alongside the road. Ask yourself... who has the cleaner neighborhoods with proper parks? Middle-class suburbia, or the ghettos? Who has more litter? Who has more junker cars? Who has more pollution?

This is true on a national level as well, especially in those countries desperate to industrialize. E.g. China. Poorer nations cannot afford, nor do they care to implement "clean" technology or regulations on their industry. Poverty also breeds war, disease, and famine as people struggle over minimal resources or captial with which to purchase those resources, which also has damaging effects to environment. Who do you trust more with Nuclear Weapons? A wealthy and stable nation like America, England, or France? Or a poorer nation like Iran, or Pakistan? Russia is much wealthier and more prosperous than they, and when the going got rough there for awhile, what did you see. Nuclear materials and technology sold wholesale on the black market.

Not to mention that the (not so) surprising trend is that wealthier and healthier populations breed less than poorer nations with low expectancies. Many first world countries are actually seeing NEGETIVE population growth (Japan, some European countries, etc). America itself has seen the average family size drop in the last 100 years from 4.5 children to 2.3 children. Less people = less pollution. I would suspect that with longer lifespans, more wealth, and more oppertunity to persue careers, dreams, and ambitions - we'd see that number fall even further. Well, perhaps. If you were to, say, extend the human lifespan out to to 150 - 200 years (and offest aging accordingly), then the average number of children per family would increase - but over a much larger time period which still results in a slowing of the population.

Yes. Poverty is a HUGE (probably the #1) contributer to pollution and environmental disaster, and it is a great danger to all of us. The fact that nobody seems to want to address this issue only solidifies in my mind the perception that modern environmentalism is just another form of religion. (it actually mirrors judeo-christian beliefs quite nicely) They go after the "sinners" - big buisness, government, your average schmuck driving a non-hybrid. Claiming that whoever does not repent will be doomed to a firey hell (lol, Six Degrees bullshit). Those are captivating villans, devils, for this end. The poor and destitute are not.

Sol_B4dguy
Mar 2, 2008, 07:52 PM
On 2008-02-29 14:09, Ronin_Cooper wrote:
I wouldn't be too worried about it quite yet, I remember seeing something about another galaxy that's supposed to collide with this one, but that'll be in like 10,000 years, plenty of time. Then there's the sun going nova, but that'll probly take another 10 million (or was it billion? I forget) or something, I'm not too worried.

The sun going nova would happen before the galaxies collided. Even then, our sun isn't large enough TO go nova, it'll just expand, then go into its "dwarf" phase. By that time, we'll probably have figured out the whole space exploration bit. No reason to worry.

Sinue_v2
Mar 2, 2008, 10:09 PM
I think it's around 5 billion years for the Sun to go Red Giant. 3 Billion years to collide with Andromeda. By the time either of this happens, the human race will be extinct. Either by disease, war, disaster, or evolution. The pace of human evolution is accelerating rapidly, and contrary to popular belief - even with (or because of) the ease of cross culture/race couplings we're becoming more and more different than each other, rather than mixing into neutral race. If life in all of it's diversity through the ages has only been around for 3.4 billion years, it's foolish to think that we'll make it to even past 1 million years.

DEM_CIG
Mar 4, 2008, 08:41 PM
I thought the end of the world was May 2011(according to the Mayan Calander)

raikomaru40
Mar 4, 2008, 09:38 PM
but that's around when i graduate... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif