PDA

View Full Version : ack - I think I made a mistake

Seira7
Feb 21, 2008, 07:00 PM
Well, today we got a 50 inch plasma HDTV. Cool, right? Well, the friend who helped us move everything, I gave him the old TV cheap. Now we have one tv.

All my 360/ps3 games look great. Beyond great. Even some old GC games and Wii games look pretty nice. Then I popped PSU in.

OMFG it looks so awful. Theres no way to "force" things to a smaller screen, so Im stuck looking at a mess of jaggy pixels! Now I have to go out and buy a SMALLER tv to play PSU on - LMAO. Geez, even Zelda Wind Waker looks better than PSU on a big ass tv. I guess I shoulda known better than to give my old tv away =( Doh. *end rant*

Sinue_v2
Feb 21, 2008, 07:18 PM
Get your PC upgraded and get the PC version. Plug it into your HDTV via VGA or HDMI. I would assume you're on the PS3 playing a PS2 version, since PSU on the 360 even on a big screen looks fairly decent. Wireless keyboard, mouse, and controller and you're all set.

Seira7
Feb 21, 2008, 07:32 PM
I have the 360 version =(
The PC version sounds tempting though, I play BB with the settings turned way up and it looks amazing.

The rest of my 360 games look great (I was playing REZ HD in awe eariler) Expected the same for PSU and was rather bummed at the results. Im not sure what I could do to tweak things to get a better picture, unless as you said I try the PC version.

Anduril
Feb 21, 2008, 08:24 PM
Weird. I have the 360 version and it looks good on my HDTV, albeit it's a 32 inch, but it looks way better than on my old crappy TV. The real issue is just that the game was developed for PS2 so they didn't bother to up the graphics from that level.

Seira7
Feb 21, 2008, 08:50 PM
Well, one of my friends says theres a way to force aspect ratio on large screen tvs so that you can play older games. Ive yet to figure it out though, so Im just playing Endless Ocean tonight.

Oh and on my smaller hdtv PSU looked great. I miss my old tv *sniff*

elainesangel9
Feb 22, 2008, 11:30 AM
wind breaker was a great looking game!

xeku
Feb 22, 2008, 03:32 PM
What kind of TV do you have?
The 360 can output PSU in widescreen mode, provided you are using the right cable.
You can configure this using the dashboard - PSU will comply..
I've played it on several diffent HD sets (and monitors).
If the set has a VGA adapter, use this for best results - PSU looks markedly better with a VGA cable, and you will be able test out various resolution settings.

This is true for a variety of other 360 games as well (Test Drive Unlimited, Forza 2, etc.) - these work better with VGA (or HDMI, if your set supports it and you have a 360 Elite) over the component cable.
In my expereince, the difference was shocking....

Seira7
Feb 22, 2008, 06:09 PM
I have an Elite/HDMI/1080p enabled.

Games like Dead or Alive, Kingdom Under Fire, Rez HD and Armored Core 4 look absolutely stunning. I couldnt believe the detail in my character in KOF:COD when I switched to 1080p. Unbelieveable.
Celine in all her glory XD.

Quality Wii games like Endless Ocean look great. A bit of jaggies here and there but not too bad, overall pleasant to play. Same with Zelda Wind Breaker and other good-looking GC titles.

I guess like the other poster noted, PSU was created for the ps2. Hence the jaggies when the screen is stretched. All PS2 games look like ass on my new tv, so I will probably buy a smaller screen for my spare room and make it my "old game" center. I also might consider seeing what the PC PSU version looks like.

But thanks for all the input, here I am whining about some 1800 dollar tv lol. and Its LCD not plasma after all...Im electronics illiterate haha.
I guess Im just too "old school" for all this brand new crap were getting *hooks up mini-tv upstairs and goes back to my Saturn games* lol...

xeku
Feb 22, 2008, 08:39 PM
Heh...well, detail wise, compared to the games you have listed, PSU just can't compete (any version)....lol. If you all haven't already - try out Gears Of War (rent it if you don't own it....despite it's age, it still amazing, visually).
It's probably a TV setting. Then again, I have no idea what the limitations of the 360 version of the game actually are - maybe you need the VGA cable to take advantage of the widesrceen option. I have tried it on an Elite via HDMI...but I can't honestly recall wether it was running in widescreen (we were helping to test out my folks new Aquos (50+ inch).

I am currently stuck with the PS2 on a PS3 - the picture is surprisngly decent (smoothing option actually works well), and I am able to set both the PS3 and the set to display in stadard aspect ratio...it's a pretty basic set, so I'd be shocked if you don't have this option w/ the 360.

Heh...if you are feeling brave, try out the Saturn on the new set for kicks.
I'm actually playing Panzer Dragoon Saga on a 32" Sony LCD....jaggies galore, but it's dang cool...in a morbid sort of way.

Seira7
Feb 22, 2008, 10:23 PM
*dude - that jaggy was so fierce it popped outta the screen and poked my eye out!*

imagining my reaction to much older games on a 50 inch screen...lol.
My husband was like, lets hook up the genesis to it, and see how long either of us can play Super Fantasy Zone- a competition I guess. @.@ Completely nuts.

I dont know whether a VGA hookup would make a difference - its tempting to try. I could see it being better than component, but it just seems like it wouldnt be all that different from HDMI.
Then again Im electronics illiterate so I dont understand the whole digital/analog what gets a non-compressed/pure image type thing. Its worth a try.

Kylie
Feb 25, 2008, 12:05 PM
Yeah, you shouldn't have given away your TV. I live alone (well, with a roommate now), and I have at least three sets in my home. But SDTV's cheap as hell right now, so you're not entirely boned. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Kent
Feb 25, 2008, 08:48 PM
Part of the problem with PSU on the 360, is that it doesn't support all aspect ratios. For example, if your TV's max resolution is 1366x768, then PSU will default to upscaling a 480p resolution, thusly distorting the aspect ratio, and stretching it up to fit your screen - which will greatly increase the number of jagged edges you'll see. This is one of the issues I happened across, and discovered that PSU will also not correctly display in resolutions such as 1280x1024 (5:4).

It's also worth noting that the Xbox 360 version of PSU doesn't officially support 1080p, either. Try it on 1080i, or 720p, and see how that works out.

Inazuma
Feb 25, 2008, 09:02 PM
i dont have the xbox ver but i thought psu only supported 720p. if it does 1080i also, how come we cant access that resolution on the pc ver? 720 is too small for a decent pc monitor.

Kent
Feb 25, 2008, 09:04 PM
It does support it... On the Xbox 360 version. It's one of the requirements for a game to be released on the platform, and no doubt, that's one of the major hurdles that Sonic Team had to jump over, to get the game ported.

We all know that Sonic Team isn't going to do more work than is necessary to get a game onto as many shelves as possible.

xeku
Feb 26, 2008, 02:58 PM
On 2008-02-25 17:48, Kent wrote:
Part of the problem with PSU on the 360, is that it doesn't support all aspect ratios. For example, if your TV's max resolution is 1366x768, then PSU will default to upscaling a 480p resolution, thusly distorting the aspect ratio, and stretching it up to fit your screen - which will greatly increase the number of jagged edges you'll see. This is one of the issues I happened across, and discovered that PSU will also not correctly display in resolutions such as 1280x1024 (5:4).

It's also worth noting that the Xbox 360 version of PSU doesn't officially support 1080p, either. Try it on 1080i, or 720p, and see how that works out.

You know - I thought this was case as well (forced/stretched 480P), but I'm not so sure at this point. It did have this problem on a friend's Samsung, but it looks and plays great at 1366x768 on my sets. It does not like 1280X1024 (on any set or monitor I've tried), but has no trouble with widescreen resolutions on either my Sony Bravia or Olevia units (both are 720P and 1366X768 - the Sony also supports 1080i).
Jaggies are still present (it's PSU), but they are not distracting in any way. It's not entirely logical, but it works....so I try not to think too much about it, heh..
However, the game looks like ass when using the component cables (720p or 1080i) - jaggies are very, very noticeable...it's actually (in my opinion) worse than playing the PS2 version on my PS3, with smoothing enabled (it's a bit sad, really).
I am using MS's cables...

Seira7
Feb 26, 2008, 05:00 PM
Well, until I get another tv (my other friend is selling me his 32 inch one - yay) Ive found the following to be helpful:

Reduce sharpness to the lowest level, reduce contrast a bit, and most helpful of all, sit far away from the tv set lol.

The reduced sharpness has smoothed out the jaggies quite a bit. Chacacter detail is a wee bit muddy far away but I now look quite nice in a close-up.

Im still mulling over VGA cables out of curiousity but not sure they will out-perform HDMI. Then again my tv is LCD so it seems like VGA cables might work well. Problem is I only buy the best as far as cables are concerned so Id hate to waste the money if VGA wont improve things.

I cant wait til the next gen Phantasy Star though.
If we ever get it. I guess SEGA could keep PSUs design and give it a graphical overhaul for PC, 360, and ps3 but I doubt that will ever happen -_-

Kent
Feb 26, 2008, 09:15 PM
VGA won't be an inprovement over HDMI - visually, they're pretty much identical. The only real differences, are that VGA is an analog video signal, whereas HDMI is a digitial audio and video signal. Being that you have one of the newer versions that supports HDMI, getting a VGA cable is pretty much a waste, if you have an HDMI-equipped display.

I used to have a guide for calibrating a TV for better picture quality for games... But you can also use the tool on the disc that came with Halo 3 collector's/legendary editions, which goes over things pretty well.

Seira7
Feb 28, 2008, 08:49 PM
Well I got another tv, from a friend, now instead of playing PSU with surround sound, track lighting, and a big leather couch Im sitting in a little corner in my spare room, lol. But my husband is thrilled by all this, playing Ratchet and Clank downstairs. I guess since I usually usurp the majority of the house, (kitchen, bathroom, living room, dining room -rofl) its only fair the poor dude gets some space besides the garage. hehe.