gameguard initialization error..
any tips on how to get round this.

i have done:
1) restarting
2) deleting gameguard folder and have gameguard update download
3) uninstalled and re-installed PSU

all 3 countless times.. didnt work.

any suggestions out there? id be very grateful

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: magenta on 2008-02-22 06:58 ]</font>

Neith
Feb 22, 2008, 10:20 AM
Hi Mag http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

I have the same problem, but thanks to someone on the PSU official boards, found (albeit temporary) solution.

Most of the people getting this are using AVG Anti-Virus. If you are, open AVG Control Center.
- Right-click on 'Resident Shield'
- Click 'Properties'
- Uncheck 'Turn on AVG Free Resident Shield Protection'.
- Hit Apply.

After that, PSU SHOULD work alright. However, you're essentially disabling your virus protection, so remember to turn it back on after you quit PSU.

So far, that's the only solution I've seen, and I've tried re-installing, deleting/re-downloading the GameGuard folder, and loads of other methods. Only this works so far..

Edit: Apparently, if you add PSU to the Exceptions list in AVG, it'll work. I'm not sure if you can do this in the Free version though. Might be time for a new virus scanner >_>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UrikoBB3 on 2008-02-22 07:23 ]</font>

magenta
Feb 22, 2008, 10:34 AM
oh that worked thanks uriko
good thing i have AVG

Neith
Feb 22, 2008, 10:39 AM
Yeah, I have AVG too, but only the Free Edition, so I can't manually add exceptions. Having to disable Resident Shield everytime I play is somewhat annoying, so I think I may look for a new anti-virus program.

New_One
Feb 22, 2008, 10:46 AM
It won't even let me turn it off, I uncheck it and hit apply.. then 'ok'. But it doesn't actually disable it, if I go back into the menu its checked again :/

Edit: Ok apparently, MY problem seems to be common with AVG + Vista users. I've been able to turn off the protection shield by re-installing AVG but not downloading the recent optional update (which might have something to do with it)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: New_One on 2008-02-22 09:16 ]</font>

DarkDeception
Feb 22, 2008, 11:10 AM
Thank you so much i was beginning to get really frustrated.

Spacepest
Feb 22, 2008, 12:36 PM
I have AVG free edition and I'm getting the same thing. I'll try disabling it and see what happens...can't do too much now because I have to leave for work in a few minutes!

Edit: Just tried this, it works with AVG free edition antivirus. What a PITA though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spacepest on 2008-02-22 09:45 ]</font>

CeruleanWitch
Feb 22, 2008, 02:35 PM
Avira's a good, free anti-virus program. Haven't had any conflicts with GameGuard with it.

Skye-Fox713
Feb 22, 2008, 07:23 PM
I have AVG and I just had the same problem. What is strange is that I haven't had a problem in the past with it, like earlier today i was on with no problem, then when i tried to start up psu later today i was having the problem discribed by the first post.

but doing what UrikoBB3 posted worked.

Neith
Feb 22, 2008, 07:36 PM
On 2008-02-22 11:35, CeruleanWitch wrote:
Avira's a good, free anti-virus program. Haven't had any conflicts with GameGuard with it.

I just downloaded that now actually. Hopefully it's more impressive than AVG was (too many false positives, and it didn't detect when I DID have a virus >_> )

I'd rather use a different anti-virus program than disable my Resident Shield everytime I want to play, but if you don't mind the hassle, it does work.

Konjou
Feb 23, 2008, 03:28 AM
any feedback on Avira? I am using AVG as well and would rather not disable it.