PDA

View Full Version : My new PC, HELP D: [Will this video card work well?] !!!???

Genoa
Feb 25, 2008, 01:51 PM
Ordered a new computer =D (definitely not JUST for PSU, but I sure am excited to play PSU for it) I ordered it from ibuypower.com and I had a few questions

1. What kind of Firewall / Virus Protection / Spyware programs should I get that are easily cooperative with gaming PC's?
If it has to do with my computer specs before you can answer, here's the goods:

--Case ( [New !!!] Xion Hydraulic Gaming Tower Case w/420W Power Supply )
--Power Supply ( Standard Case Power Supply )
--Processor ( Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6550 (2x 2.33GHz/4MB L2 Cache/1333FSB) )
--Processor Cooling ( [=== Silent ===] Extreme-Performance INTEL CPU Cooling Fan System Kit Silent & Overclocking Proof = Maximum cooling efficiency for quietness and performance )
--Motherboard ( Asus P5KPL-VM Intel G31 Chipset w/6-channels, Gb LAN, S-ATA 3Gb/s, USB 2.0, Single PCI-E MB )
--Memory ( 2048MB [1024MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand )
--Video Card Brand ( ATI Radeon HD 3450 256MB PCI-Express x16 )
--Hard Drive ( 250 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 8M Cache] )
--CD/DVD Drive ( 16x DVD-ROM + 52x32x52 CD-RW Combo Drive Black )
--CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive ( [** Special !!! ***] 20X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black )
--Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
--Speaker System ( 600W PMPO 3 PCS Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System )
--Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
--Monitor ( LCD Monitor [--- Special ---] 20.1" LCD 16:10 Wide WSXGA HD(HDCP) Monitor Support DVI Video up to 1080P(HDMI) )
--Keyboard ( Logitech Deluxe Keyboard Black )
--Mouse ( Logitech Optical Internet Mouse Black )
--USB 2.0 Accessories ( Add External USB 2.0 Hub (4x USB 2.0 Ports) )
--USB 2.0 Accessories ( Build-in USB 2.0 Ports )
--Flash Media Reader/Writer ( 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer Black )
--Operation System ( MS Windows XP Home Edition w/ Service Pack 2 )
--Additional Software ( Microsoft Works 8.0 (make the most of your home PC) )

My other question...

2. I want to use my PS2 Controller for PSU seeing I've been using the PS2 version since the release...

I have an adapter to use a PS2 Controller for my PC, and it works for PSU, however, I was curious as to how to set up all the buttons to emulate PSU PS2's controls... Does anybody know how to set the controls to be EXACTLY like the PS2? I really don't want to try and get an Xbox controller... seeing I don't own or play an Xbox, the controls would be very unfamiliar for me.

3. Is there anything anyone would like to suggest about my PC or should invest in to help better it for future use? Preferably not at the current moment, after buying this PC I don't really have anything left atm <_>

4. Where's a good website to order PC parts and accessories to upgrade my PC in the future?

(I had originally posted this in Tech Support, but nobody checks it, and it's been rotting their for a while now...)

EDIT: Now I have the video card info in there, didn't realize it wasn't there at first D:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MegamanX on 2008-02-25 19:52 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MegamanX on 2008-02-25 19:59 ]</font>

Jaspaller
Feb 25, 2008, 01:58 PM
1. PC I got at home has Avast antivirus installed, plus Zone Alarm as the firewall. I haven't really had any conflicting issues with games... but then again the only games I play on it are Counter-strike and PSOBB.

2. I used a PS2 controller when I played PSU on PC for a while. You can change the controls in the menu and you should be able to get it working exactly the way you want. I never played the PS2 version but had it setup pretty nicely (analogs to look around and move, D-pad for menu things etc.)

3 and 4 i'm not so good at answering. Maybe that website newegg..?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jaspaller on 2008-02-25 10:59 ]</font>

MetaZedlen
Feb 25, 2008, 03:54 PM
1. Use your best judgement on that, just don't go overkill on protection.

2. What Jaspaller said...

3. Possibly a bigger hard drive, but optional if you don't have a lot of games, music, or videos.
If you plan on getting more RAM, do NOT!!!!!!!!! get 4GB, no Operating System out right now can see all 4 gigs, but it is fine if you have 3 GB.
Do not listen to anyone else about what kind of Video Card you should get, because if you can run the game fine, then there is no need to worry about it, being that I have friends that make fun of me just because I have the 8500 GT, but it gets the job done.

4. Yea, Newegg is the place to go.

Genoa
Feb 25, 2008, 05:26 PM
thanks for the advice

Genoa
Feb 25, 2008, 11:17 PM
I was a little worried about the video card =/
I'm good for RAM
Good on Hard Drive space too... I really don't have all that many pics, vids, and music... at least not atm. On this pc right here, it's an 80gb hard drive and I've only used about 17 gigs... and I've had this for about ... I wanna say 4, 5 years? Perhaps having a new computer might change that, but I can always get another one later if the need be.

Not worried about sound card, as long as I can use my 5.1 surround sound I'm fine. Besides, I'm in an apartment, I can't really put out as much as I would like to.

I might invest in a better processor later, a new motherboard if need be... the only thing I worried about at first was the video card D:

Jaspaller
Feb 26, 2008, 12:52 AM
My vid card is a 128MB onboard card. 9600SE. Uh yeah yours is double the power so it should be good... plus you have twice the ram so your computer should be in good shape to run whatever. Then again I'm pretty bad when it comes to hardware. SECOND OPINION pl0x!