PDA

View Full Version : Media Tech Class &Teamwork Makes Levi Mad/Sad.

Leviathan
Mar 1, 2008, 03:29 PM
It always seems like whenever I get into a group I am always put into the group with people that do close to no work at all. I have had the same group of people since the beginning of the year.

For example:

#1 Assignment: Make a video advertising the school tv show &a Public Service Announcement. <PSA.> Both only thirty seconds.

Time The Video Should Be Done: Six weeks.

My team of three. I filmed, edited, wrote out the script, &told the talent what to do. What does the talent do? Walk out on me. All I ever asked of him was to run, turn on a tv, &say "Noooo!"

Apparently that was "Too hard."

Next half of the first assignment, make a PSA. The idea of the PSA is "One person can make a difference." They decide to make the PSA about picking up chairs. &How that makes a difference.

We failed.

Assignment #2:Make a 1:30 to 2:00 minutre movie trailer using an original idea.

I had an idea yet the group says it sucks, so they went with the idea of making a movie about a school mass murder. The trailer was mediocre to say the least. My team called the movie trailer "High School Massacre". Fail much?

Assignment #3: Make a 20 minute childrens tv show. With two 1 minute breaks.

I spent weeks, making a set made from butcher paper, I made a small video describing how to make a peanut butter jelly sandwich, &came up with most of the ideas in general. I had one other teammate that helped while the other one was glued to myspace, one was criticizing me for the work I was doing while he was making shitty Naruto AMVs ¬ doing anything. I gave that person a job of making a script. I went back to him four weeks later &he wrote a two fucking sentences. (//_-) One day before the show is going to be recorded we rehearse, we only rehearsed once. The person assigned to computer graphics doesn't put the graphics on the computer so the teacher that was in the room recording had to fix it for them. After the video was recorded it turns out the script ran about twelve minutes late. The team member that failed to type up a script &put pictures into the computer for CG ran towards the set I created &ripped it into pieces. I was pissed off because it took me weeks to make it &the fucker didn't do anything. What does he tell me about ripping MY set, "Oh, I didn't know." HE NEVER ASKED IF HE COULD RIP IT INTO SHREDS. He just said it was my fault. Immature, sad thing is he's a year older than me. =/ The only thing thats going to keep me from failing that assignment is the set, the teacher said it was the best set he's seen. &Now it's gone thanks to that asshole.

I hate teamwork, not only that but the teacher has had a talk with us several times about working together &they completely blow it off.

The next assignment is a music video, hopefully the teacher will let me direct this video so it won't go to shit.

Help me? =[

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Leviatha on 2008-03-01 13:57 ]</font>

Seority
Mar 1, 2008, 04:02 PM
I agree to just ask your teacher to try and have you do it yourself. Just have good friends help you with the actors and such. At least then, the other jerk-offs wouldn't gain any credit.
If you still want to try out the group thing, try taking command of your group and telling, nagging, making sure that the others do what the group agreed for them to do. It seems like you're going to be that anyway. If they still resist you, go the teacher and tell him/her what's up, that so-and-so isn't doing their work. Then that person should have to deal with it and their grades rather then having the whole group suffer.
Also it could be that you just need new people from your class. Ask if you can get paired up with other students who you know will be of use and do what they are supposed to.
I do hope something works out. I know how it feels to be really good at something, but having to limit that because of someone else. Good luck!

McLaughlin
Mar 1, 2008, 04:08 PM
Attack of the small text!

Whenever a group assignment pops up, I usually ask if I can do it by myself (rarely does the class have an even number of people anyway). I tend to do better than most of the groups, and I'm usually done sooner as well.