PDA

View Full Version : Itty bitty text

Blitzkommando
Mar 3, 2008, 03:28 PM
Yes, I rage over tiny text. It's annoying. No, I don't want to increase my DPI just so I can read those fucking tiny lines of, usually, incoherent babble.

It's hardly from lack of eyesight, I can see fine. But I also have this wonderful predisposition to craving efficiency. Itty bitty text is not efficient. It is not easy to read. It is annoying and irritating. And most of all it makes you look like a pretentious douchebag.

This isn't just here, it's at any website where they insist on using less than 8 point font. While I can read it, it usually draws on extremely long lines and is near impossible to read by persons with sight disorders. Nobody wants to read a website or forum with a magnifying glass. Use a normal sized font and you'll get much better results.

Oh, and for those of you across the net that do the giant 24 point "yelling"? Yeah, fuck you too.

Seority
Mar 3, 2008, 03:37 PM
I like the small text so you when there are long disscuission, the page isn't millions of miles long. (Just to match your over exaggerated sarcasm.)
Also it's not 'Itty Bitty' type, its small.
Note: [ small ] [ /small ]

Inazuma
Mar 3, 2008, 03:54 PM
i dont even bother trying to read the tiny text. like the OP said its not easy to read and its annoying. if they want others to actually read what they have to say, they can use normal size font.

Sord
Mar 3, 2008, 04:07 PM
On 2008-03-03 12:37, Seority wrote:
[center]I like the small text so you when there are long disscuission, the page isn't millions of miles long.

while it wasn't an option until recently, spoiler-boxes can be used to solve that problem

Leviathan
Mar 3, 2008, 04:36 PM
I never really though it was so bothersome, it anything I thought it was neat looking.

Sekani
Mar 3, 2008, 05:10 PM
The two people here who use it on a regular basis never type anything worth reading, so no big loss.

If either of those two disagree, they can use regular-sized text. Maybe then I'll pay attention to it.

Retehi
Mar 3, 2008, 05:25 PM
On 2008-03-03 14:10, Sekani wrote:
The people here who use it on a regular basis never type anything worth reading, so no big loss.

Fixed.

I don't get it myself, it doesn't make you look any different or unique. It's just friggin' irritating.

Leviathan
Mar 3, 2008, 07:37 PM
Personally I like how small text looks like. I think it looks more organized &I find it easier to read. &Like the person said before me that uses small text if a conversation becomes too long small text helps.

&By the way how does it make me a douche? I want to know, because from what I see, I don't understand how seeing as how a douche is someone that is an idiot, &classifying someone that writes in small text makes me one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Leviatha on 2008-03-03 16:40 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
Mar 3, 2008, 11:07 PM
The problem is, some people here *do* have vision problems. I can read the forum's standard font size just fine, but the small text I have to squint at, which makes my eyes hurt. Depending on if it's a good vision day or not, I might even have to go to the fucking feature built in for people who are half-blind and use ctrl+mouse wheel to increase the small font to the size of the normal one, so I can read it without going nuts. :<

So for me it's not 'neat and orderly' or 'stylish' or whatever, it's just freaking annoying.

McLaughlin
Mar 4, 2008, 12:08 AM
I tend to just skip over the small-text posts. In PSU General in any case. Same with font colours I can't read against the forum's themes, though for certain people I just highlight it.

Definitely irritating though. I'm blind. Stop reminding me of it.

PhotonDrop
Mar 4, 2008, 02:12 AM
On 2008-03-03 16:37, Leviatha wrote:
I don't understand how seeing as how a douche is someone that is an idiot, &classifying someone that writes in small text makes me one.

Actually, a douche is a feminine hygiene product.

As the slang term it's not merely used to classify idiots. People that do annoying things constantly are douches.

On 2008-03-03 12:37, Seority wrote:
I like the small text so you when there are long disscuission, the page isn't millions of miles long.

Using the scroll button/wheel tends to help that.

While this topic is here, I hate people that use any of the tags to write entire posts in, or even a large portion of it as a certain person in Off-Topic tends to do.

thunder-ray
Mar 4, 2008, 04:42 AM
On 2008-03-03 12:28, Norvekh wrote:
Yes, I rage over tiny text. It's annoying. No, I don't want to increase my DPI just so I can read those fucking tiny lines of, usually, incoherent babble.

It's hardly from lack of eyesight, I can see fine. But I also have this wonderful predisposition to craving efficiency. Itty bitty text is not efficient. It is not easy to read. It is annoying and irritating. And most of all it makes you look like a pretentious douchebag.

This isn't just here, it's at any website where they insist on using less than 8 point font. While I can read it, it usually draws on extremely long lines and is near impossible to read by persons with sight disorders. Nobody wants to read a website or forum with a magnifying glass. Use a normal sized font and you'll get much better results.

Oh, and for those of you across the net that do the giant 24 point "yelling"? Yeah, fuck you too.

If you dont like small text then dont bother reading it.

Seority
Mar 4, 2008, 03:30 PM
Please don't flame people Sekani. Especially with such a terrible reason. Just goes to show the kind of person you are, sadly.
Using small text does not make you stupid, and using normal font does not make you smart. If you want to read the topic/post then click 'Reply with Quote' and boom! Normal font. Other then that, I think since this a forum, you should read what others type. If you wish to just disreguard what people say because of the size of the font, it just makes you ignorant and weakens your understanding at the topic at hand.

Sekani
Mar 4, 2008, 04:31 PM
On 2008-03-04 12:30, Seority wrote:

Please don't flame people Sekani. Especially with such a terrible reason. Just goes to show the kind of person you are, sadly.
Using small text does not make you stupid, and using normal font does not make you smart. If you want to read the topic/post then click 'Reply with Quote' and boom! Normal font. Other then that, I think since this a forum, you should read what others type. If you wish to just disreguard what people say because of the size of the font, it just makes you ignorant and weakens your understanding at the topic at hand.

I will not waste my time straining my eyes to read micro-text on a computer monitor. I will not waste my time deciphering a post with atrocious spelling or grammar. I will not waste my time reading a wall of text because the person was too lazy to add a few line breaks.

If you have something to say, I will NOT read it unless you make some attempt to make it reasonably legible. Anyone who refuses to do this is asking for their comments to be ignored and possibly ridiculed. Period.

I would go far to say that you are the ignorant one, Seority, for believing that it is my responsibility to understand everything that is said here. On the contrary, it is YOUR responsibility to present the information you want to convey in the best possible manner. There is no way to justify needing to take the extra step of quoting a post just to read it; it's much faster to skip it and move on.

The world does not cater to narcissistic idiots, and neither do I.

Reipard
Mar 4, 2008, 07:57 PM
It's common sense, really. Nobody is going to waste their time on the girl who only talks in low whispers solely because she thinks it is cool. Likewise, nobody is going to waste their time straining their eyes to read a small wall-o-text on a computer screen. When the simple act of understanding someone becomes work, people become frustrated and become less willing to waste their time on it. Not to mention it can also appear condescending and rude, depending on this situation.

You can continue to type like that, but know that you lose the right to complain when people stop taking you seriously and/or ignore you as a result.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 4, 2008, 09:04 PM
Get back on topic, stop with the "you're ignorant" implying who is an "idiot" and hundreds of "I messages."

Please, everyone stop the flaming.
-

It would help if everyone was standardized with posting in a large setting such as these forums. If someone needs extra tags to individualize themselves, it would help to consider your post content-tendencies-quirks and how you convey them are individualistic enough.

You can get stereotyped rather easily by always using a specific post tag in all your text, if you're subconsciously asking for that attention, reconsider that objective. Know that negative reactions will come out of it due to it being a stereotype.

On the flipside, if you are ignoring these posts and truly don't care, stop preaching to deaf ears by telling someone how to post. Changing how someone posts isn't going to happen with direct put downs. Consider in a classroom setting, when learning- you aren't always going to respond positively to sudden, direct, and confronting negative comments about your assignments and effort. Hardly ever works that way.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2008-03-04 18:10 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
Mar 4, 2008, 09:08 PM
Reipard, stop winning an internet every other post, I'm running out of them.

Seriously. Yeah, no shit, ctrl+mouse wheel... But if I have to do that to read a post, chances are I don't give a crap anymore, because that person's already proved with their post that they don't give a shit about the likelihood that at least one person reading the forums has sufficently bad eyesight that it makes reading your post annoying. I'm not going to lean into my monitor either, thanks, for one thing it doesn't help me any, for two, eyestrain... Isn't good for your fucking eyes!

Weeaboolits
Mar 5, 2008, 01:46 PM
I don't mind so much as when someone says that it's hard for them to read, and the person in question, rather than using a normal size says, tough, change your resolution/fonts/lean forward/what have you.

Sure, you have every right to use the font size you want, but when you KNOW that it's hard for people to read and continue doing it anyway, that's just straight up inconsiderate, and to expect them to go out of their way just to be able to read YOUR posts is just unreasonable.

Zorafim
Mar 5, 2008, 01:55 PM
On 2008-03-04 16:57, Reipard wrote:
Nobody is going to waste their time on the girl who only talks in low whispers solely because she thinks it is cool.

I would >.>

I use small tags for signifying that what I'm saying isn't as important as the rest of my post. If all of my post is in small tags, then none of my post is really worth anything. I think this way about other people's small tags too, they're saying that their post isn't as important as other posts in the thread. This says, to me, that the person writing in small text is humble (despite that being far from the truth, I'm sure).
Yes, this makes it hard to read a post, just like someone who speaks softly is hard to hear. If you want to be heard, speak loudly and type at an appropreate size. But at times someone who speaks softly isn't too bad to be around.

Reipard
Mar 5, 2008, 02:01 PM
I would >.>

Not when you're in the middle of a casual discussion, you barely know them and they're trying to make a point, I'm sure.

xeku
Mar 5, 2008, 03:19 PM
I don't see the problem...
Don't like?
Don't read.
Problem solved.

You aren't mssing anything important, anyhow, right?

MrNomad
Mar 5, 2008, 04:20 PM
On 2008-03-05 12:19, xeku wrote:
Don't like?
Don't read.
Problem solved.

You dont understand tho xeku, this are psu players. It's in their blood to whine about every little thing she does, it's their destiny! To change that way of living from them, that's downright blasphemy!

Honestly, how did we come to getting pissed off about the SIZE OF TEXT?? Here's an idea, GO OUTSIDE. Have a life, then maybe the size of text on some forum won't bug you as much.

Leviathan
Mar 5, 2008, 04:41 PM
I write small in real life &it has never been a problem or bother to my teachers, parents, or anyone that has read anything I wrote.

MrNomad is right, when did we become so bothered by the something so small?

Retehi
Mar 5, 2008, 05:05 PM
On 2008-03-05 13:41, Leviatha wrote:
I write small in real life &it has never been a problem or bother to my teachers, parents, or anyone that has read anything I wrote.

MrNomad is right, when did we become so bothered by the something so small?

Your friends, and family don't equal the rest of the population. It's been said a few times already, and obviously ignored, it's a strain for some peoples eyesight.

It's not such a hard thing to grasp.

McLaughlin
Mar 5, 2008, 06:46 PM
On 2008-03-05 13:20, MrNomad wrote:

On 2008-03-05 12:19, xeku wrote:
Don't like?
Don't read.
Problem solved.

You dont understand tho xeku, this are psu players. It's in their blood to whine about every little thing she does, it's their destiny! To change that way of living from them, that's downright blasphemy!

Honestly, how did we come to getting pissed off about the SIZE OF TEXT?? Here's an idea, GO OUTSIDE. Have a life, then maybe the size of text on some forum won't bug you as much.

As irrelevant and personalized as that was, I was able to read it with little effort, and and thusly able to call him a hypocrite for telling people to go outside after belittling them for having a pet peeve, just as he does with PSU players.

If you want me to read what you're saying, then present it to me in a legible fashion. I'm not going out of my way to Ctrl + mouse wheel your post to read it, and then do it again to read everything else. I also won't sit at my monitor for half an hour trying to decipher the code you've written your post in, and if it's a block of text the length of my monitor I'm not going to bother. If you aren't going to put forth the effort to present your opinion in a courteous manner (because I know at least one person who writes in small text because he thinks it makes people pay attention to him), you can't honestly expect me to put in that same effort to read it.

You write small in real life? That's fine and dandy, but cursive writing size does not directly translate into font size. If you type up a resume (I'm lacking the accent there, I know) in a size 6 font because your cursive writing is small, do you honestly think your potential employer is going to waste that extra time trying to read that (in a situation where he lacks the ability to enlarge it as well)? No, because he can move on and hire the other guy who made his job easier.

It's just courtesy. Plain and simple.

Mystil
Mar 5, 2008, 07:08 PM
If you type in that small font size, I'm skipping over it. Because I cannot read it without straining my eyes.

Reipard
Mar 5, 2008, 07:43 PM
Don't like?
Don't read.
Problem solved.

This forum is entitled 'Rants: Dead Horse Society'. If you're not blowing something out of proportion, you're not ranting and it's not very cathartic.

That said, people aren't as worked up about this as you and MrNomad seem to think they are. This is just a very focused discussion on a single topic.

It is somewhat akin to walking in on someone's birthday party and going 'What'd THAT guy (birthday person) do to be so special today?'.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Reipard on 2008-03-05 19:10 ]</font>

Powder Keg
Mar 5, 2008, 09:05 PM
I normally skip the small text too. You post for other people to read, not to read to yourself. Using a wireless keyboard/mouse, my face isn't exactly glued to the TV I'm using.

Sharkyland
Mar 5, 2008, 09:42 PM
I always view it as either a) 'look at me' or b) 'you didn't read the fine print'.

rogue_robot
Mar 6, 2008, 10:11 PM
Heh. I've been on both ends of this. On one hand, I write r-e-a-l-l-y freaking small (average two lines per college-rule line, though I can easily do three without losing legibility); however, being extremely nearsighted, I can't read my own writing without my glasses on. I've gotten frequent complaints from teachers about my handwriting's smallness. I typically try on homework to make my writing take 3/4 of each college-rule line, rather than my usual 1/2, but my lower case letters habitually get smaller as I go.

Small writing on internet forums doesn't personally bother me, unless it's also a wall-o-text. As long as I've got my glasses on (which I almost always do), I've got a pretty good eye for individual pixels, and myself keep Windows and most programs set to 8/10 pt fonts.

drizzle
Mar 7, 2008, 04:34 AM
On 2008-03-03 16:37, Leviatha wrote:
Personally I like how small text looks like. I think it looks more organized &I find it easier to read. &Like the person said before me that uses small text if a conversation becomes too long small text helps.

&By the way how does it make me a douche? I want to know, because from what I see, I don't understand how seeing as how a douche is someone that is an idiot, &classifying someone that writes in small text makes me one.

So configure your browser to make all text small? All modern browsers have a zoom function of some kind.
I'm sorry, but your solution to your problem - putting the burden on others and only solving the problem for your own posts which you don't read yourself anyway - is a pretty bad one.

You write your posts for others to read, so use the default fonts and everyone can use their browser and forum settings to display the text the way they like it. What you're doing now is taking away that option and making it harder to read for everyone.

Perhaps you understand now?

thunder-ray
Mar 7, 2008, 05:00 AM
Ill make this simple if its small text im not gonna even bother reading it unless i have my glasses on. Anyways I dont see the point of everbody getting bent out of shape over some damn text size. I dont see no big deal in it if i cant read it then im not gonna try to read it, tough shit!

Kion
Mar 17, 2008, 03:19 AM
On 2008-03-04 18:04, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:

It would help if everyone was standardized with posting in a large setting such as these forums. If someone needs extra tags to individualize themselves, it would help to consider your post content-tendencies-quirks and how you convey them are individualistic enough.

That's the thing, rather than try to seek being an individual by some 'quirk', it's better to destinguish youself by what you say. It's honestly a pet peve for me as well, you don't need to have small letters, sign your name, and caps is not cruise control for cool. it interupts the flow of the conversation and i find that disrespectful on a forum.

Set yourself apart by what you have to contribute to a topic. people will remember you for that.

Seority
Mar 17, 2008, 01:41 PM
If you are the kind of person who skips over posts just because of the text size, I wouldn't want to communicate with you anyway. If you don't want to pt effort into reading it, I don't want to hear your opinion on it.
Like I said, I only do small text when it stretches the pages.

McLaughlin
Mar 17, 2008, 08:59 PM
I'm the kind of person who's blind in my right eye and can't read small text without artificially enlarging it. If you're the kind of person who isn't courteous enough to post in a format I can read, then I'm not going to assume that you've posted anything worth my while.

And text won't stretch the forum unless you stack a line with the same symbol.

Alizarin
Mar 18, 2008, 01:37 AM
Hm, there's a lot of circular dialogue of "If you don't do it this way, I won't bother" and "If you don't like the way I do things, then forget you". Really, this amounts to a lot of nothing. Either choose to ignore posts you don't care to read and move on, or leave the font settings as default and adjust the font size in your browser to suit your needs.

If you prefer smaller fonts: you can set it smaller so everyone else's posts match.

If you like larger fonts: same solution. All text will be scaled to suit your needs.

It's already been mentioned that you don't make posts for your own reading pleasure. You post to have your ideas, opinions, comments and general input for others to read.

KodiaX987
Mar 18, 2008, 07:54 AM
HMMM... I WONDER HOW PEOPLE WILL REACT IF I WRITE IN BIG TEXT.

AFTER ALL, IT'S JUST MY STYLE AND I DON'T SEE A PROBLEM WITH IT. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Nai_Calus
Mar 18, 2008, 08:43 AM
OMG U R SO KUL KODI I WANT 2 B JUZT LIEK U

Seriously, though. If you like small text, just use ctrl+mouse wheel to downsize the text on your screen. I can scroll yours up, sure, but then I have to scroll it back down for every other post in the thead... And since you're obviously not making an effort to communicate with me in a reasonable fashion, I'm not going to bother making the effort to read it.

If I get your application/resume, and it's in sloppy handwriting, or writing so small I can barely read it, I'm immediately going to toss it out and go for the next one, right? Plenty of others who are more easily readable.

Not a good analogy? Sure it is. Your application/resume is the only initial contact you have with a company and your two minutes of chance to get their attention and make a favourable impression. They can't see your cheerful smiling face or how wonderful of a person you may or may not be, they just see your words there. If you put it in an 8-point font because you think it's 'easy to read' and 'looks neat'... I'm tossing you in the waste heap.

Your forum post is the only contact you have with me and your two minutes of chance to make a favourable impression on me. I can't see your cheerful smiling face or how wonderful of person you may or may not be, I just see your words there. If I can't read your post without jumping through hoops because it's in 8-point font because you think it's 'easy to read' and looks neat'... I'm tossing you in the waste heap and moving on to the next post.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 18, 2008, 02:57 PM
On 2008-03-18 05:54, KodiaX987 wrote:
HMMM... I WONDER HOW PEOPLE WILL REACT IF I WRITE IN BIG TEXT.

AFTER ALL, IT'S JUST MY STYLE AND I DON'T SEE A PROBLEM WITH IT. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

All your posts are doo doo stinky anyway, either way its still the same! You'd dare not make your Computer Foibles entries with all caps in the Long Tenured Rant over there, unless of course your flatmate weirdoes are doing that themselves and it is part of the hilarity.

I don't know how many more opinions can be said here which don't repeat previous entries, other than branching out into talking about your other ways you differentiate your posts besides size tags. So lets not conflict back and forth anymore and move on from being soo defensive about either side.

I started making lots of breaks instead of paragraphs, just for my own readability. Not within sentences to make it some pseudo center ruled or anything, just one or two blurbs, next line skipped, couple more.

I suppose if you're that used to small text, it might be the same way, but you still have to be considerate of other forum goers, making sure you present yourself in an acceptable manner for them to read and understand as well. Its not all about you-your preferences, compromises are the way to go.

Larger resolutions if used by others on the forum will further shrinkydink the text, compounding the problem. Keeping it at least universal in post to the next post makes it less of an issue.

I really distanced myself from people who would alternate caps in burst messaging like Instant Messengers. That ain't cool kids. I hope that fad has died out by now, but with all this texting crap, maybe not?

Weeaboolits
Mar 18, 2008, 06:49 PM
I always misread things in alterntate caps, assuming that they did it to split syllables and such things.

AlexCraig
Mar 18, 2008, 06:55 PM
On 2008-03-17 23:37, Alizarin wrote:
Hm, there's a lot of circular dialogue of "If you don't do it this way, I won't bother" and "If you don't like the way I do things, then forget you". Really, this amounts to a lot of nothing. Either choose to ignore posts you don't care to read and move on, or leave the font settings as default and adjust the font size in your browser to suit your needs.

If you prefer smaller fonts: you can set it smaller so everyone else's posts match.

If you like larger fonts: same solution. All text will be scaled to suit your needs.

It's already been mentioned that you don't make posts for your own reading pleasure. You post to have your ideas, opinions, comments and general input for others to read.

Quoted for truth. I couldn't have said it any better myself.

Nitro Vordex
Mar 18, 2008, 07:28 PM
Note: No need to read inside pics, just know and see differences.

If you want normal this is normal:
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/3674/normalhq3.png

For the small lovers, use this:
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/7537/smallma5.png

These have not been scaled in any way. Except for the whole screen capture thing.