PDA

View Full Version : any good anime?

ngagerebel
Mar 18, 2008, 09:48 PM
I'm looking into purchasing some anime, I have watched everything I have... like a million time... any ideas? im trying to find Tokko but I can't find it anywhere

Weeaboolits
Mar 19, 2008, 12:49 AM
It would help if you told us what you already have.

At any rate, Genshiken.

Nitro Vordex
Mar 19, 2008, 12:56 AM
I'd say Shakugan no Shana. I've only seen it recently, but I still think it's great.

I'm pretty sure it's not localized however, so subtitle reading is up to you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nitro_Vordex on 2008-03-18 22:56 ]</font>

ngagerebel
Mar 19, 2008, 02:37 AM
twelve kingdoms, outlaw star *original japanese*, Seriel Experiments lain, final fantasy unlimited, witch hunter robin, shin chan, all the dot hacks *in their originality* Akira, FLCL, Gundam, just to name a few, i dont watch anime a whole lot, but i don't mind subtitles.

Katrina
Mar 19, 2008, 04:51 AM
Cowboy Bebop. It has some similarities to Outlaw Star, (including some of the voiceovers), the characters are likeable with a good deal of backstory progression without becoming overwealming or tedious. A good story and ending as well.

Bleach. While some think it's cliched (and in many ways it is), the first series up to the climax and confrontation in Soul Society is very well done. A likeable and relatable main character, a plethora of secondary characters, and randomized backstories touching many throughout the progression of the series. 150+ episodes long and still currently running and being developed.

Frana
Mar 19, 2008, 05:54 AM
Yeah, Bleach is good, but still not like all these N00By Nrutards make it seem, there is better, but it's still good.

DEM_CIG
Mar 19, 2008, 07:14 AM
Gundam 00

amtalx
Mar 19, 2008, 08:25 AM
IMO anything over 100+ episodes is just being longwinded. I have yet to see an anime that can't be told in ~50 episodes.

Fallenraven11
Mar 19, 2008, 09:50 AM
im a big fan of trigun personally

AlexCraig
Mar 19, 2008, 12:20 PM
Bleach
Trigun
Death Note
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost In The Shell

MetaZedlen
Mar 19, 2008, 12:53 PM
Nobody mentioned Hellsing?

Nitro Vordex
Mar 19, 2008, 12:57 PM
I tried watching Ghost in the Shell, and I was utterly confused. Prolly cause I wasn't starting at the beginning.
aaannnd I kept staring at the female characters, was about 10. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

As far as I've seen, most go up to 26 episodes, or a least that's how many is in a season right?

AlexCraig
Mar 19, 2008, 01:01 PM
Doesn't matter to me if a series is over 100 episodes. So long as it keeps me intrigued and interested.

Darkly
Mar 19, 2008, 01:42 PM
i always reccomend gungrave. It is such a bittersweet mafia-scf-fi drama. The show has a grea set up. You watch the protagonists really grow up into confident men- you pretty much watch their entire rise and fall so to speak.

The thing is the first episode shows what's happening very late on in the show. So the majority of the show is leading up to the moment of betrayal - it really is top notch stuff, so different from many animes, especially since its far more westernised than most.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Darkly on 2008-03-19 11:43 ]</font>

amtalx
Mar 19, 2008, 01:51 PM
On 2008-03-19 11:01, AlexCraig wrote:
Doesn't matter to me if a series is over 100 episodes. So long as it keeps me intrigued and interested.

That's my main problem. I haven't seen anything over 100 eps that can do that. Its always 1 step forward 2 steps back after the 30-40 range.

Let's go collect all the jewel shards! OH SHI- I droppped all of them at the bus stop. We have to start all over gain.

Calamity
Mar 19, 2008, 01:52 PM
evangelion

Xefi
Mar 19, 2008, 02:41 PM
if you like old anime movies:

Aria Zeirum
Project A-ko
Green Legend Ran
Vampire Hunter D
Angel Sanctuary
X

as for series:
Infinite Ryvius
Scrapped Princess
Abenobashi Magical Shopping District
Love Hina
Maburaho
Please Teacher
Inuyasha
Elfen Lied
Berserk
Last Exile
Rahxephon
Fruit Baskets
Lunar Chronicle
Full Metal Panic
Chobits
Excel Saga

that's all i can think of now.

Sekani
Mar 19, 2008, 02:48 PM
There's an old (2004) one called Saiyuki that I just finished watching thanks to the magic of Netflix on-demand. 50 episodes and they all kept me entertained.

Weeaboolits
Mar 19, 2008, 02:48 PM
It's not for everyone, but I thought Strawbery Marshmallow was funny, it's only like 12 episodes though (Subbed, the dub is intolerable).

Also, Azumanga Daioh.

Eihwaz
Mar 19, 2008, 03:43 PM
On 2008-03-19 10:53, Zedlen wrote:
Nobody mentioned Hellsing?

Hellsing's not so bad. The original 13 episode series has moments of sheer badassery, ridiculous style, and some of the best jazz/rock music this side of Cowboy Bebop. However, there are also episodes that are boring and add nothing to the storyline. The original series also has a non-ending, which is frustrating after the rather epic fight scenes in the last two episodes.

The newer OVA series has ridiculous amounts of action/gore and a cohesive storyline based on the original magna. The soundtrack doesn't stand out nearly as much, though. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I'll suggest Cowboy Bebop (both the series and the movie), Samurai Champloo, FLCL, various Miyazaki films (especially Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away), as well as more esoteric fare like Interstella 5555.

AlexCraig
Mar 19, 2008, 03:45 PM
Any of Miyazaki's films. I find all of them awesome!

Solstis
Mar 19, 2008, 03:52 PM
D.Gray-Man is acceptable, though the anime flirts a bit too much with comedy and horror. The fillers (yes, there are a lot, though they aren't Naruto-bad), lack the focus of the canon episodes.

Ghost in the Shell: Innocence is a bit like watching a thesis on continental French philosophy.

ngagerebel
Mar 19, 2008, 07:13 PM
On 2008-03-19 06:25, amtalx wrote:
IMO anything over 100+ episodes is just being longwinded. I have yet to see an anime that can't be told in ~50 episodes.

have you seen twelve kingdoms? its really good about 45-54 episodes... really good.

Has anyone seen Vampire Princess Miyu?

I thank all of you for your response.

unicorn
Mar 19, 2008, 09:43 PM
I mostly watch shoujo anime....but the *good* kind

- Chobits
- Revolutionary Girl Utena (my favorite anime to date)
- Pretear
- The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
- Sugar: The Tiny Snow Fairy
- PitaTen
- DiGi Charat
- Tsubasa, RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE
- Descendants of Darkness
- Ouran Host Club
- Kanon 2006
- Air
- Clannad
- Full Moon wo Sagashite

Shounen:
- Serial Experiment Lain
- ~Ayakashi~ Japanese Classic Horror / ~Ayakashi~ monoke
- Escaflowne
- Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Hellsing
- Elfen Lied

OmniVoid
Mar 19, 2008, 10:01 PM
I recently watched Code Geass (not a typo). Quite easily one of the most epic anime i have ever seen.

Nitro Vordex
Mar 19, 2008, 10:44 PM
Reading from super_luu's post, I see there are different types of anime. What are the different types? I've seen different art styles, and different themes, but what are the main differences?

AlexCraig
Mar 20, 2008, 12:35 AM
After reading Super Luu's post, I am willing to agree with Chobits. Loved that series.
Ai Yori Aoshi is a great Shoujo anime, as well.

Cz
Mar 20, 2008, 02:11 AM
i love watching romantic series. i think i can recommend you some of my favorites:

-Ginban Kaleidoscope (you will never forget this series. this series made me cry)
-Matentei Loki Ragnarok (a detective series with Norse Mythology characters)
-His and Her Circumstance (a complicated love story)
-xxxHolic (funny and scary at the same time)
-Da Capo (fun at first then drama toward the end)
-Chrno Crusade (a good tragic series)

and a few of those anime RubySion mentioned. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_hamster.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/cat.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_bunny.gif

CrimsomWolf
Mar 20, 2008, 03:29 PM
- Code Geass: Simply awesome..... the moment when Lelouch (main hero) kills British/Britannian soliders in first
episode (I won't say how...) was one of the most memorable anime scenes I've ever seen. As does his maniacal breakdown shortly afterwards. It also has one of best plots I've ever seen.

- Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi: Simply hillarious. And has one of best endings I've ever seen.

- Neon Genesis Evangelion: A bit old (13 years) but still awesome.

- Gundam 00: Some nice fights (if you like Dynast Warrior-style battles) and complicated plot. For a Gundam that is.

- Hellsing: Some pretty bad-ass jazz style music. And ultimately bad-ass hero and his female sid-kick.

- Eureka 7: Haven't finished it yet, but looks good. Very good. And it has nice mecha flying on airboard.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CrimsomWolf on 2008-03-20 13:39 ]</font>

ngagerebel
Mar 20, 2008, 04:11 PM
I thank you all for the wonderful choiced

Sinue_v2
Mar 24, 2008, 01:20 AM
Angel Sanctuary

If you watch this, make sure to switch the VA to Japanese w/ English Subs. Normally I could give a fuck about the Japanese voices, but Angel Sanctuary manages to make them so ungodly bad that you begin to wonder if the true villain of the series isn't really the Voice Director. Now the Japanese VA's might be pretty horrible too, but I'll be damned if I know since I don't speak nor care about the nuances of the Japanese language. It's just that the only other option is *Mute* and that cuts out the sound effects/music too.

Hellsing's not so bad. The original 13 episode series has moments of sheer badassery, ridiculous style, and some of the best jazz/rock music this side of Cowboy Bebop. However, there are also episodes that are boring and add nothing to the storyline. The original series also has a non-ending, which is frustrating after the rather epic fight scenes in the last two episodes.

The newer OVA series has ridiculous amounts of action/gore and a cohesive storyline based on the original magna. The soundtrack doesn't stand out nearly as much, though.

There's a huge pacing difference between the OVA and Anime. Although many instances align between the Anime and the first two volumes of the OVA (and a bit of the third OVA). So it's still worth getting, although I would recommend getting the Anime first and the OVA only after the fourth volume is released. If you watch the OVA first, you're going to be spoiled by the higher production values, better storyline, more mature and fleshed out characters, and general badassery. The OVA makes the anime series look like crap. Honestly. And if you can't stand watching the Anime, you're going to miss out on some great music. As well as "Master of Monster", which for the most part was left out of the OVA and is a pretty faithful and good chapter.

But back to the pacing problem. Here's the deal. The Manga series spans 10 volumes, and the first two of which are basically just some backfleshing to the character and intermittent violence to set the tone and introduce supporting characters. The storyline doesn't really to start cohesion until shortly after the confrontation with Tubalcain Alhambra. The Anime was produced mid-way through volume III of the Manga, so it had to create it's own characters (or differing personalities for existing characters, it's own (non)ending, and it's own plot fleshed out using the Manga as only a rough guidepost. The OVA, on the other hand, is being created mid-way through volume 9/10, and won't completely wrap up until after the manga is finished. Since it stick much more closely to the source - the begining volumes are similarly scattered and can be a bit disorienting if you don't read the manga and have to wait half a year for the next installment. OVA IV, however, offically kicks off the main storyline. Everything up to this point has been tame, if you're looking for badassery in the OVA - you're going to have to wait a little bit, but it's worth it. The Seras fight against Zorin Blitz is better than anything the Anime cooked up.

And as for the artstyle, I personally prefer Hirano's style over that of the Anime. It doesn't look generic, like the anime, and it really brings to mind the artwork that typically accompanies Gonzo journalists like Hunter S. Thompson at times. Which seems to fit with a major theme to Alucard's character. "He who makes a beast of himself, rids himself of the pain of being a man".

Ghost in the Shell: Innocence is a bit like watching a thesis on continental French philosophy.

Agreed. Very good, but be prepared to have your Cliff Notes handy for the direct/indirect Descarte references. The movie assumes it's audience has a higher than average intelligence and pulls no punches to dumb down it's themes. It's like a ride at the amusement park behind a small chain barrier, and sign out front says "You must be *This Smart* to ride" Or at least get the most enjoyment out of in any case.

Oh, and as for my recommendation? I'd have to say Mahoromatic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqO8DDIkHME) simply for the light-hearted slightly raunchy comedy. Either that, or GunFrontier (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqkWGx2vSQk).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2008-03-23 23:33 ]</font>

ngagerebel
Mar 24, 2008, 04:50 PM
Has anyone seen Voices of a distant Star?

Monochrome
Mar 24, 2008, 10:54 PM
I have; it's great, very melancholy and too short, but beautiful!

MrNomad
Mar 24, 2008, 11:14 PM
If you wanna see the grandad of all action animes/mangas, watch Hokuto no Ken. Its old and such and honestly the manga is prolly better but it has a great story from start to end, and has some awesome music like its memorable intro. Go see it and learn where DBZ, Naruto and all the other action animes got their start, and I demand you watch only Japanese voices with english subtitles! Any less is a crime http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Watatatatattatatatatatatatatatattataaaaaaaaaaaaa! Hokuto Hiakurestu Ken!

ngagerebel
Mar 25, 2008, 02:05 AM
On 2008-03-24 20:54, Monochrome wrote:

I am such a sap, I got all sappy after i watched it.

alright Karas anyone?!!!!! i just got done watching the second part and i would have to say the first one was WAY better... The first one what make my skin get goosebumps was the Counting... 1...2...3... and they didnt have that in the second one!!!! made me cry!!!

Raine_Loire
Mar 26, 2008, 03:35 PM
Full Metal Alchemist, Claymore, tenjho tenge, hajime no ippo, paradise kiss, gun slinger girls, full metal panic (all of em), death note, xxxholic, pet shop of horrors, onegai teacher, suzuka, tenchi...

Some of my faves. There's more, but I always blank when I"m TRYING to think of something.

*edit* I forgot Blood+, Ergo Proxy, Eureka 7... crap. there's one more that I meant to add but I can't remember it. I'll post it when I do.

*edit edit* I remembered! How sad is that... it's my 2nd fave anime (after FMA) Fushigi Yuugi!! (mysterious play)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Raine_Loire on 2008-03-26 13:37 ]</font>

Noblewine
Mar 29, 2008, 07:20 PM
MAR
Tenchi Muyo
Gatekeepers
Magic Knights Rayearth
Blue Seed
Crest of the Stars

ShadowDragon28
Mar 29, 2008, 09:05 PM
Last Exile, Giant Robo, and Nadia:Secret of Blue Water, and
Macross Plus (4 pt series , get & watch a fansub as Manga Video's subtitles f**k up on some of the translation, the movie is ok but cuts to much out.)

chaoskila
Mar 30, 2008, 06:52 AM
karin

DEM_CIG
Mar 30, 2008, 10:32 AM
Gundam 00 FTW...

washuguy
Mar 30, 2008, 05:25 PM
Speed Grapher, Maburaho,Welcome to the NHK, DBZ, Tenchi Series There are alot more I know but this will help for now

Monochrome
Mar 30, 2008, 10:04 PM
On 2008-03-25 00:05, ngagerebel wrote:

On 2008-03-24 20:54, Monochrome wrote:

I am such a sap, I got all sappy after i watched it.

alright Karas anyone?!!!!! i just got done watching the second part and i would have to say the first one was WAY better... The first one what make my skin get goosebumps was the Counting... 1...2...3... and they didnt have that in the second one!!!! made me cry!!!

yeah I bought the box set after watching the first one and I must agree, the first was rediculous-awesome, the second was just 'regular-awesome'. Kinda like the difference between Kill Bill vol. 1 and 2. 1 has all the crazy-sick action sequences and 2 is tasked with explaning all the crazyness of the first one. Still solid on its own merits though.

I have to hand it to the Karas team, since 1 made NO sense (like...less sense than a MADHOUSE produced anime) I'm surprised that they pulled off a story that was in some way cohesive in the second one, even if it took them till the last frame to get it all together.

soolayah
Mar 31, 2008, 03:56 PM
Well, here are the ones that I gave top ratings;

Gintama (TV Series, still running) 10
Hachimitsu to Clover /Honey and Clover (TV Series) 10
Hachimitsu to Clover II (TV Series) 10
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora /Looking up at the Half-Moon (TV Series) 10
Howl no Ugoku Shiro /Howl’s Moving Castle (Movie) 10
Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu /Hare+Guu (TV Series) 10
Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu Deluxe (OVA) 10
Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu FINAL (OVA) 10
Kamichu! (TV Series) 10