PDA

View Full Version : What's the hardest game you've played?

Frana
Mar 21, 2008, 08:17 PM
As some of you may know, I just got Devil May Cry, so that might very well be mine. That, and Contra Shatered Soldier. I love harder games. You?

Weeaboolits
Mar 21, 2008, 09:12 PM
Off the top of my head, I found Mountain of Faith (Touhou 10) pretty difficult, I still can't beat it on any difficulty.

Anduril
Mar 21, 2008, 09:16 PM
The hardest game I've ever played would have to be the first XBox version of Ninja Gaiden. Took me a week to beat the first boss, and I could never make it past the second level....

Frana
Mar 21, 2008, 09:22 PM
On 2008-03-21 19:12, Ronin_Cooper wrote:
Off the top of my head, I found Mountain of Faith (Touhou 10) pretty difficult, I still can't beat it on any difficulty.

what's that?

Blitzkommando
Mar 21, 2008, 09:23 PM
I never got the highest possible score in Pac-Man. So, I guess it was hard. Or I didn't want to spend years trying to beat it. I'm not sure which.

Monochrome
Mar 21, 2008, 09:41 PM
Ninja Gaiden Black. Still on level 5-ish, fighting teams of [spoiler-box]grenade-shuriken hurling super ninjas, firebreathing t-rex's and a frickin giant landsquid.. [/spoiler-box]

and there I shall stay.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Monochrome on 2008-03-21 19:43 ]</font>

Weeaboolits
Mar 21, 2008, 10:03 PM
On 2008-03-21 19:22, Frana wrote:

On 2008-03-21 19:12, Ronin_Cooper wrote:
Off the top of my head, I found Mountain of Faith (Touhou 10) pretty difficult, I still can't beat it on any difficulty.what's that?This: http://youtube.com/watch?v=A3J5ERCKZ4o

Though that's the hardest stage on extra (which is harder than the normal game on the highest difficulty), I'm not nearly good enough to run that. ._.

Scrub
Mar 21, 2008, 10:25 PM
Viewtiful Joe on *Ultra V-Rated.

It makes me laugh to watch people play it on Kids/Adults mode and just get blown away horribly.

I'm sure I've played harder but none really come to mind.

*Edit: Whoops wrong mode. V-Rated is hard, Ultra V-Rated is very hard. My bad.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scrub on 2008-03-21 20:28 ]</font>

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 21, 2008, 11:08 PM
Anything NES really.

Karnov
Castlevania
P.O.W.
Ninja Gaiden series
TMNT #1

Some Genesis stuff

Chakan the Forever Warrior
That Cyborg Justice

Protip, don't watch speed runs of these things. Makes you feel ridiculous more than you feel like these guys are masters and should be applauded.

PC
Alone in the Dark 3 (Got stuck, no internet help at the time)
This crude early 3D game we had with a Monkey that jumps around corners, kicks your ass and hangs you up in several different places. Take a knife off a table, the table will animate then kick your ass for taking the knife. Your guy swings a sword like a louse and there are 100's of ways to die, when just walking around. Lots of fun to see all the choices, hard as hell to progress anywhere.

zentetsua
Mar 21, 2008, 11:33 PM
mine would have to be: ninja gaiden (nes), R-type(tg16/wii), tmnt (nes), ninja gaiden black (xbox),and home alone 2:liny (snes) that's it for now.

CelestialBlade
Mar 21, 2008, 11:47 PM
TMNT 1 and Battletoads.

Retehi
Mar 22, 2008, 12:12 AM
Alien 3 on Genesis. Every level has a damn time limit. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Eihwaz
Mar 22, 2008, 12:31 AM
Ikaruga, although Ninja Gaiden Black gets unbelievably intense after a while. Devil May Cry 1 and 3 also had their share of difficult bits, but these were the kind that you could get through after a few tries...

darkante
Mar 22, 2008, 12:54 AM
R-type and Gradius games.

There are so many things going on in these games..my eyes just canīt keep up.
And did i mention that you die if you get hit once?

Jife_Jifremok
Mar 22, 2008, 02:08 AM
If I beat it, it aint going on my list. So no Gradius or Ghosts n Goblins or Phantasy Star or whathaveyou. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Battletoads. I needn't say anything here. Probably the only game on this list that's hard enough for me not to beat AND fun.

Iron Sword: Wizards and Warriors 2.

Wizardry: Trials of the Mad Overlord (NES, not the PC version that was probably superior http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif). Imitation D&D style character system. Turn-based fighting that required grinding. Lots of grinding. If a character dies enough times, he's eventually unable to be resurrected and needs to be deleted and replaced with another. And if you go too far over your head, there's enemies that can behead your enemies, no being revived after that. It's also too boring to give me any drive to get high-enough level to get far.

Most RPGs, from both of the world's hemispheres, that are just too damn grindy and/or boring. Wizardry tops this category but deserved special mention. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Action 52...well, does this even count? The game was literally unbeatable because the game wasn't even finished. <_<

Deadly Towers. Try walking around, and invisible portal and getting stuck in some alternate dimension maze place and being unable to escape, and having a really glitchy password system. Only by COMPLETELY memorizing the spots NOT to step into would it be possible to beat without save states.

...see, most of the difficulty I mention just comes from horrendous game design. But technically, shitty game design DOES make a game harder than anything fun would be...

ljkkjlcm9
Mar 22, 2008, 02:44 AM
On 2008-03-21 21:47, Typheros wrote:
TMNT 1 and Battletoads.

yes and yes
TMNT 1 sucks so hard through
Battletoads is awesome, but that third level is nigh impossible!

and who ever said Wizards and Warriors 2... I did manage to beat that one. The only time I've beaten TMNT 1 was on an emulator, and before when my dad beat it with game genie on our NES lol

THE JACKEL

SabZero
Mar 22, 2008, 04:44 AM
Nethack - haven't "beaten" it yet (i.e. ascended)
Alone in the dark - gave up pretty soon since i'm not a horror fan

Syl
Mar 22, 2008, 04:56 AM
F-zero GX.

Try it on Master Difficulty(hell, even Standard might be too much for some)... wasn't exactly impossible for me, but it was pretty damn tough and infuriating.

Then do Story Mode on Very Hard (good luck on Chapter 7). I'll see you in a couple years http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Novenia
Mar 22, 2008, 10:29 AM
The hardest game I've ever played is Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria. ;|

Neith
Mar 22, 2008, 10:57 AM
On 2008-03-22 02:56, SylviaEspada wrote:
F-zero GX.

Try it on Master Difficulty(hell, even Standard might be too much for some)... wasn't exactly impossible for me, but it was pretty damn tough and infuriating.

Then do Story Mode on Very Hard (good luck on Chapter 7). I'll see you in a couple years http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Man, F-Zero GX is harsh. I gave up on Story Mode because I couldn't get past the first few chapters http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

I got the Diamond Cup unlocked, but I suck so bad at Phantom Road that I've not been able to do well in it. Still, it's an incredible game.

Other mentions go to:
Guitar Hero III: I've been stuck on Raining Blood on Expert since December. >_>

Project-X (Amiga): I think it was only about 4 levels long, but I only ever saw the 2nd level once http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

I've only just started Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria, so I haven't seen how hard it gets yet.

Solstis
Mar 22, 2008, 11:26 AM
On 2008-03-21 21:08, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:

PC
Alone in the Dark 3 (Got stuck, no internet help at the time)
This crude early 3D game we had with a Monkey that jumps around corners, kicks your ass and hangs you up in several different places. Take a knife off a table, the table will animate then kick your ass for taking the knife. Your guy swings a sword like a louse and there are 100's of ways to die, when just walking around. Lots of fun to see all the choices, hard as hell to progress anywhere.

I think I remember that monkey, unless I was playing Alone in the Dark 2, or something.

Think there was this game called Phantasmorgia, where after you enter a room, there's a cutscene of you laying down on the bed and a bunch of hands grabbing you (no deaths or anything, just freaky). Oh, and the spirit of a dead child floating above a crib, a crypt, other freaky things. Never did beat it.

No, it was the first Alone in the Dark. Whenever the lady fired the shotgun, she fell backwards.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2008-03-22 09:27 ]</font>

Sayara
Mar 22, 2008, 11:29 AM
Super Mario Bros 2 (or The Lost Levels, whatever.)

The harder Mario Bros with the poison mushrooms.
DAMN YOU FREAKIN 8-4

amtalx
Mar 22, 2008, 11:42 AM
Sub-Terrania for Genesis. Nobody every played it, but imagine a top down shooter with "rotational" Asteroids type perspective...but there is gravity, so if you stop thrusting you fall. The gravity also effects your bullets, so shooting anywhere but down pulls your shots into an arc. Also, you take fall damage so falling too far or hard will kill you. Oh yea, and you have a limited amount of power, so too much thrusting will leave you unable to move.

Shooting arcing bullets while tapping the thrust button that you can't press too often or you will run out of gas and crash into the ground. Fun.

darkante
Mar 22, 2008, 02:06 PM
On 2008-03-22 00:44, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:

On 2008-03-21 21:47, Typheros wrote:
TMNT 1 and Battletoads.

yes and yes
TMNT 1 sucks so hard through
Battletoads is awesome, but that third level is nigh impossible!

and who ever said Wizards and Warriors 2... I did manage to beat that one. The only time I've beaten TMNT 1 was on an emulator, and before when my dad beat it with game genie on our NES lol

THE JACKEL

You know the thing that really sucked for me when i tried TMNT 1 is that..i came to the fricking last boss fight only to be one-shotted and had to start all over again.

I were like...never again..will i do this game on a NES!

KaneKahn
Mar 22, 2008, 02:50 PM
Astrosmash.

SabZero
Mar 22, 2008, 04:27 PM
Just remembered another one: The Sentinel on the C-64. I don't think I got very far in this.

Sol_B4dguy
Mar 22, 2008, 08:01 PM
I can honestly say I beat all of GX's story chapters on normal, and a couple on hard and Very Hard.

But my solution for the Diamond cup was just to get first in all the races so my ranking at the end of Phantom Road wouldn't matter too much. >_<

God of War I and II were pretty tough (DAMN YOU GOW I HADES!), but at least it was the variety you could get through after a try or two, like DMC.

Shooters in general are pretty tough. Good thing I wubs them.

That's about all I can think of.

astuarlen
Mar 22, 2008, 08:48 PM
SkiFree. Goddamn Yeti.

Frana
Mar 22, 2008, 09:40 PM
F-zero GX was my first Gamecube game, I eventually sold it, but I got it last year, and I can beat every cup, but I had a friend do the last 2 story stages for me. It is very hard. Ikaruga is up there, too.

Weeaboolits
Mar 22, 2008, 10:40 PM
On 2008-03-22 18:48, astuarlen wrote:
SkiFree. Goddamn Yeti.I remember that, those blasted snowboarders didn't help me evade him either.

Xefi
Mar 23, 2008, 01:25 AM
Seriously! anyone that have the patient to play this game is insane! You got to look at the person playing this nightmarish game. -_-;

***hole Mario is the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaOjfsthY6Q&feature=related

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RubySion on 2008-03-22 23:32 ]</font>

Katrina
Mar 23, 2008, 05:43 AM
Nobunaga's Ambition

SubstanceD
Mar 23, 2008, 05:46 AM
I'm not very good at playing alot of games so if I wanted to my list could go on forever. Off the top of my head these are games that are worth mentioning:

Battletoads - Nes

Enough people have mentioned this game so I don't need to explain any further.

Contra - Nes

Another difficult game, after a few levels everything gets all chaotic.

Devil May Cry 1 - PS2

Devil May Cry 1 and 3 are both very diffiucult at higher difficulties levels but Devil May Cry 1 is more punishing. I still remember geting repeatedly owned by the first boss and wondering why he was so difficult. First bosses arn't supposed to be so punishing.

Resident Evil series - PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, Gamecube

The only Resident Evil game I've beaten legit is Resident Evil 2. All the other ones are too difficult for me. Especially Code Veronica, the Gamecube remake of Resident Evil 1 and Resident Evil 4.

Ninja Gaiden/Ninja Gaiden Black - XBox

Another game with an incredibly tough first boss. It took alot of tries and alot of healing items to get past him. I lost interest after level 4, I play games for enjoyement and entertainment, this game is no longer fun, it's just another chore to do now.

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles - PSP

I've never been that good with the old school Castlevania's but I was always able to make some progress towards the latter stages of the game(s). Unfortunatly Richter belmont is soo FUCKING SLOW that it makes Dracula X on the psp almost unplayable. Not so much a difficult game, instead it comes across as poorly designed ( yes I know Richter is supposed to move that way in order to capture the old school feel of the early Castlevania games, but I would have prefered it is they ramped up the difficulty instead of dumbing down Richter to the point where he can't even brandish his whip ).

DavidNel
Mar 23, 2008, 07:12 AM
Rocket: Robot on Wheels for N64. That game is freaking impossible. Even with cheats, you have to be smart enough to figure out all the hints and tips... 8 years later, and I have yet to beat that game 100%....

Resident Evil 4: Only rented it for two days, but I couldn't get past the prologue without cheats, lol. I'm trigger happy around zombies. Always ran out of ammo in first group of flesh-eaters.

Jakosifer
Mar 23, 2008, 12:09 PM
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (That title is the goddamn truth >_<)

Sharkyland
Mar 25, 2008, 07:55 PM
That game for the NES that used the zapper (the one that takes you out in space). Even up close to the screen it's hard as hell.

ljkkjlcm9
Mar 25, 2008, 08:22 PM
On 2008-03-25 17:55, Sharkyland wrote:
That game for the NES that used the zapper (the one that takes you out in space). Even up close to the screen it's hard as hell.

try taking a piece of white paper and shooting it, you won't miss

THE JACKEL

Powder Keg
Mar 25, 2008, 08:31 PM
Battletoads and Double Dragon for SNES was tough.

Noblewine
Mar 25, 2008, 08:37 PM
contra 4 DS Lite
Heroes of Mana DS Lite
IGPX PS2

enoch
Mar 26, 2008, 01:36 PM
wizard of oz for snes...it was so hard to play....the menu devoured my soul, i dont think i ever got past it

omegapirate2k
Mar 26, 2008, 02:31 PM
Super Ghosts and Goblins...

What the fuck.

Out_Kast
Mar 26, 2008, 02:33 PM
Ikagura. Level 3. *shudder*
Cutthroat Island, Sega Megadrive. There was a level with a cart, where you either went up or down to avoid rocks, trees and the likes. But you moved so fast, you never had time to react... ._.

Raine_Loire
Mar 26, 2008, 03:09 PM
any game that requires reflexes and/ or hand eye coordination...

Seira7
Mar 26, 2008, 06:08 PM
Crimson Sea 2 - hardest difficulty
late stages of VP2

Wyndham
Mar 26, 2008, 07:21 PM
Ghosts and Goblins for the SNES.

KodiaX987
Mar 26, 2008, 08:33 PM
Battlefield 2142.

The only game in which you could be God's incarnation... and still lose.

McLaughlin
Mar 26, 2008, 09:59 PM
The hardest recently has to be Call of Duty 4 on Veteran. So many spots in Campaign with infinite enemy spawns, you have to sprint and pray half the time. It's also kind of vague with instructions sometimes.

Rashiid
Mar 27, 2008, 08:15 AM
Any CoDs on Verteran are difficult.

DEM_CIG
Mar 27, 2008, 08:20 AM
Enchanted Arms, stupid last lvl... took me forever.

Mwabwetumba
Mar 30, 2008, 02:28 PM
The hardest game that I've ever played still have to be the old DOOM. Final DOOM, to be exact.

Playing every level from scratch (IE, only start with the pistol and your fists), using no saves on Ultra Violence difficulty with "fast monsters" activated. That's the hardest game that I know of that I still think is possible to beat. I've beaten 14/64 levels using my own set rules above so far.

If set to Nightmare difficulty it goes beyond insanity. Having all the monsters respawning in less than a minute while you have to backpedal through the stage in order to open the final door, whilst running out of ammo about half-way through the stage? Hilarity ensues.

I'll get it done someday though. It was the first game I ever played and I'll be darned if I won't win this personal battle. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif