PDA

View Full Version : MarioKart on a Whole New Level

Poncho_Jr
Mar 23, 2008, 06:32 PM
Brace yourselves.

[spoiler-box]http://www.vgboxart.com/boxes/Wii/7408-orig.jpg[/spoiler-box]

AlexCraig
Mar 23, 2008, 06:39 PM
Must get. I have almost all games of MarioKart.

Scrub
Mar 23, 2008, 07:31 PM
Oh wow Nintendo making yet another rehash.

Woooooo.

AlexCraig
Mar 23, 2008, 07:38 PM
Hey, some of us DO care.

EphekZ
Mar 23, 2008, 07:44 PM
A pikmin car, FUCK YES.

Scrub
Mar 23, 2008, 07:52 PM
On 2008-03-23 17:38, AlexCraig wrote:
Hey, some of us DO care.

And some of us get tired of Nintendo pushing the same franchises and nothing but for years and years.

Let's try something new there, guys.

Monochrome
Mar 23, 2008, 08:55 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, I say. I won't go so far as to say some franchises are above criticism, but yeah... FUN is what matters and Mario Kart has always been joy to the power of 10

ljkkjlcm9
Mar 23, 2008, 09:45 PM
On 2008-03-23 17:52, Scrub wrote:

Hey, some of us DO care.

And some of us get tired of Nintendo pushing the same franchises and nothing but for years and years.

name me a single game company that hasn't done the same.

THE JACKEL

Sgt_Shligger
Mar 24, 2008, 12:54 AM

Hey, some of us DO care.

Nintendo pushes the same franchises because people like them. I'm thinking the bigger issue you're pointing out is that Nintendo doesn't release enough games and could use more franchises simply to give more variety. The only question at hand is if Nintendo can maintain their quality control standards while releasing more games.

amtalx
Mar 24, 2008, 07:01 AM
On 2008-03-23 19:45, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:

Hey, some of us DO care.

THE JACKEL

Not to the extent that Nintendo does. Sure MS relied on Halo to sell units, as did Sony with the FF series and MGS. The difference is that while Sony and MS try to acquire new franchises in addition to the old, Nintendo rarely does anything significant outside of 1st party titles. Its been Zelda, Mario, and Metroid for 20 years. Since N64 the only real games of note for every Nintendo system are Mario Kart, Smash Bros., and Zelda reincarnations. The games are usually good (Zelda in particular) so I won't complain, but it does get a bit stale after a while.

Darkly
Mar 24, 2008, 08:27 AM
I got a bit apathetic of nintendo too - the games are fun but like amtalx says they really are beating a dead horse now.

DoubleJG
Mar 24, 2008, 12:48 PM
A pikmin car!? XD

Oh dear god.. That's so awesome LOL.

McLaughlin
Mar 24, 2008, 01:20 PM
I'd rather have a few quality franchises than a truckload of shitty ones.

hollowtip
Mar 24, 2008, 01:43 PM
I hope some of you really didn't believe this was another Mario Kart sequel for the Wii.

At first I thought it might have been an April Fools joke, but it looks like some guy with good artistic abilities just made this as unofficial box art. Creative, but not real guys.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 24, 2008, 03:17 PM
By KoopaDasher 4-17-07 watermark.

Yeah.

The Mario Kart that's actually going to release isn't vastly different than before, when they got lots of praise for making it different with double dash and switching players mid race as much as you wanted but haven't gone that route with such big innovations since.

They could surprise everyone who knows.

#2, Nintendo's 1st party games make money, the ones that don't they discontinue and were at one time, new ideas/games you know?

Nintendo = the 1st party company, with the same recurring and or "beloved" characters.

Nobody else has that, not quite breaking news or something going to change anytime soon there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2008-03-24 13:32 ]</font>

CelestialBlade
Mar 24, 2008, 03:31 PM
Nintendo gets backed into a corner, though. Allow me to use The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker as an example. When the Gamecube was still under the codename "Dolphin," Nintendo Power released promotional screens of their upcoming Zelda title (which later became Wind Waker), featuring an adult Link in an amazingly badass sword duel with Ganondorf. Most people were really excited, but some pointed out that this was essentially no different from Ocarina of Time.

Then Nintendo formally announced Wind Waker, with its remarkably different cel-shaded graphics featuring a very young incarnate of Link. The fans went *nuts* because Nintendo was changing something they had kept static for many years. All the sudden everyone just wanted Ocarina with better graphics again, and Nintendo indeed made Twilight Princess. (Note: This is not to say TP was not innovative, it was an *amazing* game, but it was very similar to other games in the series)

In short: Nintendo is damned if they do, damned if they don't. They're backed into a corner because fans can't make up their minds whether they want something new or if they want things to stay the same. So the best solution for Nintendo is to keep the same blueprint, but add new features and gimmicks. This works to please both sides of the argument.

If they change things, people whine, but if they stay the same, people whine too. What are they supposed to do?

ljkkjlcm9
Mar 24, 2008, 03:37 PM
On 2008-03-24 05:01, amtalx wrote:

Hey, some of us DO care.

THE JACKEL

Not to the extent that Nintendo does. Sure MS relied on Halo to sell units, as did Sony with the FF series and MGS. The difference is that while Sony and MS try to acquire new franchises in addition to the old, Nintendo rarely does anything significant outside of 1st party titles. Its been Zelda, Mario, and Metroid for 20 years. Since N64 the only real games of note for every Nintendo system are Mario Kart, Smash Bros., and Zelda reincarnations. The games are usually good (Zelda in particular) so I won't complain, but it does get a bit stale after a while.

except, your examples for Sony, are not made by Sony. In fact, I don't even know what a first party Sony game is.

And I believe on Gamecube, Nintendo created this game called Pikmin... remember that? They do come up with new games... but obviously the big franchises are the ones you hear about.

I think your real problem is, third party companies don't produce enough different games on the system. It's not Nintendo's fault if third party companies don't want to produce for them. But considering EA games says they have 8 games in production for the Wii atm, and many other third parties are very interested and also producing games for the Wii, you may find more third party games. Plus there are great third party games, Tales of Symphonia for one. Just because you choose to ignore things, doesn't mean it's not out there.

Let's put it this way. If Microsoft had to run on first party games, all they'd have is Halo. If Sony had to run on first party games... hell I don't even know what games are Sony first party(I think like Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Dexter... maybe God of War?). If Nintendo had to run on first party games... You have Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Starfox, F-zero, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Mario Kart, Kirby, Advance Wars, Smash Bros, Earthbound, Mario Sports
pretty much the only category missing, is a FPS, and Metroid has sorta filled that

oh and BTW, now you got Guitar Hero on the Wii as well, and soon, Rock Band http://nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=15599
I honestly don't know what you people want from them.

THE JACKEL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ljkkjlcm9 on 2008-03-24 13:45 ]</font>

Vitamin_D
Mar 24, 2008, 04:00 PM
Well I for one am excited, I love Mario Kart games to death haha. I could REALLY careless what Nintendo does as long as the games they release are fun, and for me they most definitely are. Someone already said it, but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

BlaizeYES
Mar 24, 2008, 04:01 PM
i'm surprised that nobody has complained that nintendo turned mario cart into a redneck offroading adventure in jeeps. well, without even getting into the details, it seems pretty like its pretty detatched "teamwork" with the two players on a ride when one clearly is the driver and the other is clearly the drunk redneck hanging out of the back that will just be yelling random obscenities and throwing objects he picks up while probably driving through puddles to "GET A LITTLE MUD ON THE TIRES." nothing about that cover makes me think of "victory lane." all they need now is a noble dog, a plug for the band "nickleback," and a few references to JESUS OUR SAVIOR and i will immedialtely buy this game, and not even purchase a wii. to me, it seems like nintendo is trying to reach a demographic they've been constantly missing before by making the "karts" like formula one racing.

song that will definitely be on the soundtrack for this game:
"She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" by Kenny Chesney

Weeaboolits
Mar 24, 2008, 04:02 PM
Yeah, Nintendo at least HAS first party software.

McLaughlin
Mar 24, 2008, 04:32 PM
Halo is a second party game. At the time, Bungie was owned by Microsoft. I don't think it qualifies as First Party software.

Sony doesn't have any First PArty games, barring MAYBE Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, and Ratchet and Clank, all of which have been milked dry.

ljkkjlcm9
Mar 24, 2008, 05:29 PM
On 2008-03-24 14:32, Obsidian_Knight wrote:
Halo is a second party game. At the time, Bungie was owned by Microsoft. I don't think it qualifies as First Party software.

well I look at Halo like I look at Metroid Prime. Retro Studios basically makes the entire game themselves. But I suppose it is different considering Metroid started in house.

but that just validates my point, Microsoft and Sony don't even have first party titles, they rely completely on third party support. If the Wii and DS completely take over and most third party support moves to the Nintendo system, they'd be in a whole lot of trouble. At least Nintendo is able to support themselves.

THE JACKEL

Shadowpawn
Mar 24, 2008, 05:35 PM
On 2008-03-24 14:01, BlaizeYES wrote:
A whole bunch of stuff.

In case you missed hollowtip's post, the picture is fake. It was a fan created cover for a fictional game.

BlaizeYES
Mar 24, 2008, 07:44 PM
well i guess i should have researched it. thankfully the world CONTINUES TO SPIN FOR ONE MORE DAY BECAUSE ITS A FRAUDULENT COVER.

Nitro Vordex
Mar 24, 2008, 08:29 PM
He got rid of the pic apparently. =/

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 25, 2008, 11:26 AM
On 2008-03-23 17:31, Scrub wrote:
Oh wow Nintendo making yet another rehash.

Woooooo.

I wouldn't exactly call it a rehash. They're not just trying to re-brand the same gameplay, and re-release it for the same console under a new name with slightly altered graphics. I'd suggest that the new Mario Kart that we will eventually get is slightly more than an update for the new console. Nintendo is setting a precedent, you understand, of having a standard variety of games, with each iteration tweaked to take advantage of the new console's abilities, insofar as this tweaking can be done without completely re-inventing the game. By doing this, they take a game that we stopped playing years ago, and freshen it up. It allows us to delight in the nostalgia and experience some new additions, at the same time.

So no, I wouldn't exactly call it a "rehash". They're not taking something old, and trying to tell us that it's new. They know it's an old idea. We know that it's an old idea. We all know that it's an old idea, and they're just going to spruce it up for the new console. Now, should they release a second Mario Kart or Smash Bros for the Wii, then I'll jump on board with you, and proclaim that it's a rehash (unless, of course, the second release has some ground-breaking change that merits the sequel, but... whatever).

amtalx
Mar 25, 2008, 12:09 PM
On 2008-03-24 13:37, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:

THE JACKEL

except, your examples for Sony, are not made by Sony. In fact, I don't even know what a first party Sony game is.

And I believe on Gamecube, Nintendo created this game called Pikmin... remember that? They do come up with new games... but obviously the big franchises are the ones you hear about.

I think your real problem is, third party companies don't produce enough different games on the system. It's not Nintendo's fault if third party companies don't want to produce for them. But considering EA games says they have 8 games in production for the Wii atm, and many other third parties are very interested and also producing games for the Wii, you may find more third party games. Plus there are great third party games, Tales of Symphonia for one. Just because you choose to ignore things, doesn't mean it's not out there.

Let's put it this way. If Microsoft had to run on first party games, all they'd have is Halo. If Sony had to run on first party games... hell I don't even know what games are Sony first party(I think like Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Dexter... maybe God of War?). If Nintendo had to run on first party games... You have Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Starfox, F-zero, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Mario Kart, Kirby, Advance Wars, Smash Bros, Earthbound, Mario Sports
pretty much the only category missing, is a FPS, and Metroid has sorta filled that

oh and BTW, now you got Guitar Hero on the Wii as well, and soon, Rock Band http://nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=15599
I honestly don't know what you people want from them.

THE JACKEL

Which party made what wasn't really part of my argument. As a consumer, it doesn't matter who makes it. 1st party, 3rd party, whatever, its a game. It doesn't change the number of AAA titles for a given console, nor does it affect my decision to buy it.

Maybe I should have just used 'exclusive'. That eliminates the whole 'party' problem. Halo is a MS/Xbox exclusive, regardless of who developed it. My issue with Nintendo is they have been notoriously bad at acquiring new exclusives (of late). Yes, Rock Band is going to be available on the Wii. However, its not an exclusive, and its a paltry option when compared to the DLC and beefy online component in the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions.

In no way am I saying that the Wii is a bad system, or it has no good games. What I am saying is that Wiis around the world collect dust for a reason. Its no mystery that people don't use their Wiis much. As far as I can see, its because marqee titles like Mario Tennis, SSB, or Mario Kart are released a coulpe times a year. When they are released, everyone picks up their system. When they get bored, they go back to their PS2 or 360 or whatever because there is nothing to fill the lull between killer apps.

Weeaboolits
Mar 25, 2008, 12:15 PM
Pretty graphics move product, companies are reluctant to touch the console that can't look as nice.

amtalx
Mar 25, 2008, 12:49 PM
People like developing for the Wii. The problem is that one of the main reasons is that its cheap. I heard somewhere you can develop 4 Wii games for the price of 1 PS3 title. Also, the whole 'casual gaming' thing has turned into a shovelware catastrophe. Its almost as bad as the Atari era (well maybe not,hehe). Some people are complaining that Nintendo needs to bring back their seal of quality. I for one, don't think it would be that bad of an idea.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 25, 2008, 01:13 PM
On 2008-03-25 10:49, amtalx wrote:
Nintendo needs to bring back their seal of quality. I for one, don't think it would be that bad of an idea.

Heh, when seeing the back of a Wii title recently, I thought I saw the gold sticker/graphic with the good ol' Nintendo Seal of Quality.

But it didn't have the Quality part there.

"Nintendo Seal" in that pointy gold star circle. Why half ass it or even have it anymore if you're not going to have the real deal Holyfield?!

Raine_Loire
Mar 26, 2008, 03:19 PM

Hey, some of us DO care.

THE JACKEL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ljkkjlcm9 on 2008-03-24 13:45 ]</font>

Wasn't legend of dragoon sony?

Firocket1690
Mar 26, 2008, 05:39 PM
On 2008-03-25 11:13, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:

On 2008-03-25 10:49, amtalx wrote:
Nintendo needs to bring back their seal of quality. I for one, don't think it would be that bad of an idea.

Heh, when seeing the back of a Wii title recently, I thought I saw the gold sticker/graphic with the good ol' Nintendo Seal of Quality.

But it didn't have the Quality part there.

"Nintendo Seal" in that pointy gold star circle. Why half ass it or even have it anymore if you're not going to have the real deal Holyfield?!

Because the official Nintendo seal isn't the Official Nintendo Seal of Quality.

Pre : This official seal is your assurance that nintendo has approved the quality of this product. always look for this seal when buying games and accessories to ensure complete compatibility.

post : The official seal is your assurance that this product is licensed or manufactured by nintendo. always look for this seal when buying video game systems, accessories, games and related products.

Its one thing if they change it subtly, but they changed the logo, almost like they literally vexed away their quality control team. That was like, a promise you were buying a good game. Super Mario World had that seal, and it deserved it. Super Mario Sunshine doesn't have it, and doesn't need it. Post 2002, they changed it. Nobody knows why?

Ehh. A little on topic. People can't change it, else they whine its different. And if they don't change it, they'll say its a rehash. And I hate the phrase "on a whole new level". That's like ... say, Star Fox Assault/Adventures. Change it, and people complain. Else, you'd have something like Tetris DS, where they still advertise it's completly awesome, and totally different. (which, technically, is, but standard is the only respectable mode)

Eventualy, there isn't too much to innovate/improve upon, and I think mario kart has reached this point. Double Dash had the driver/attacker co-op type thing, MKDS went online. And Battle mode's been around since forever. The only improvement I've seen so far is mario characters on motorcycles. And that isn't too drastic from one character in a car.

Shadowpawn
Mar 26, 2008, 05:55 PM
On 2008-03-26 13:19, Raine_Loire wrote:

Hey, some of us DO care.

THE JACKEL

Polytech Studios, otherwise known as Sony Computer Entertainment Studio, makes Sony's first party title...which are very nil. The only one that stands out in my mind is Armored Core but I'm sure they have more. You just don't hear about them because Sony doesn't rely on their first party titles. Who needs to when you have GTA and FF on the same console?