PDA

View Full Version : Crossbows????

ZeronechaosX
Mar 25, 2008, 11:59 PM
Are they strong? Do they take along time to level? These are just some questions I wanted to ask and hopefully get some answers as I was considering getting one.

Xefi
Mar 26, 2008, 12:02 AM
1-10 takes sometime.
11-20 a little bit quicker.
21-30 levels up moderately
30-31 you joking right? takes forever.

at level 21 with 3 arrows, crossbow bullets are good to do some quick damage and add SE to the enemies. Its like a movable shotgun but less power. i am sure someone else can explain clearer than me. Hope that helps.

Genoa
Mar 26, 2008, 12:23 AM
They're incredibly powerful. It's similar to Shotgun but at the same time is very different.
Shotgun:
Potentially can inflict most damage with 5 bullets combined, topping out at 23% elemental damage.
Strike more targets individually
Large PP pool / Decent PP cost
Crossbow:
High mobility / given ability to strike and fire
Deals powerful damage with combined fire rate and topping out at 18% elemental damage
Status effect topping out at lvl.3 (shotguns remain at lvl.2)
Combined with 1-handed striking weapons with knockback make it easy to keep enemies off you so you can repeat your crossbow fire

But to answer your original question, yes, Crossbows are definitely worth the effort of leveling...
However I would recommend getting something like... Burn or Infect to start off. Though it's damage is great, it's ability to stick Status Effects the FASTEST is probably the greatest among all gun types.

R2D6battlebot
Mar 26, 2008, 12:45 AM
It takes forever to level up, but is by far worth it, its easily the best single handed firearm in the game, and personally I think it is overall the best firearm period, but maybe with the April 11 update rifles will be back in the running.
Shotgun vs Crossbow:
Shotguns fire 5 bullets at a slow rate of fire, and you have to stand still and only get level 2 SE.
Crossbows shoot 3 bullets at around twice the speed of a shotgun, you can strafe and have level 3 SE, not to mention that bullet-for-bullet Crossbows do more damage. So lets say you shoot your shotgun for 450 dmg per bullet, times 5 thats about 2250 dmg, whereas with a crossbow you shoot for around 500-550 per bullet (same level/element) but you shoot twice as fast, so thats 6x500 would be 3000dmg in the same time a shotgun would do 2250, PLUS you can strafe to avoid damage, PLUS you have level 3 status effect. Yes, Crossbows are worth leveling, but as said before, leveling them from 1-10 is flat out hell, its like a pistol but worse =x

Genoa
Mar 26, 2008, 12:51 AM
What you say about comparing the USE of Shotguns and Crossbows may be correct, but tell me which class uses both S-rank Shotguns AND S-rank Crossbow's combined, then tell me the ATP of the class that can use the each S-rank specific gun (and which race gets a bonus with the class, so you would also have to compare the race statistics) with which weapon. Then the potential of 5 bullets that can have 23% elemental dmg EACH vs. 3 bullets that can have 18% elemental dmg EACH...
D:
EDIT: In other words, if you can't do more damage with a Shotgun using the same leveled elemental bullet type as a Crossbow... then you're definitely doing something terribly wrong <______<
But then again... when was it all about the damage? Crossbow has mobility and ability to use a second arm combined with it... Shotgun limits you to ranged only, however at point-blank range... it's damage is superior. Not to mention, your Crossbow might shoot twice as fast, but it also runs out of PP twice as fast <_>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MegamanX on 2008-03-25 22:54 ]</font>

R2D6battlebot
Mar 26, 2008, 02:48 AM
Truth. I forgot to put in my post that the major disadvantage to the Crossbow is the low PP (unless you use one of the crappy Yohmei ones). And yeah, as both Guntecher AND Fortegunner I do more damage per 2 shots with Crossbow then I do per one shot of Shotgun.

Syl
Mar 26, 2008, 03:23 AM
On 2008-03-26 00:48, R2D6battlebot wrote:
I forgot to put in my post that the major disadvantage to the Crossbow is the low PP (unless you use one of the crappy Yohmei ones).

Ever use a well ground 9* Yohmei one? Those things NEVER run out of PP and the ATP difference is pretty damn negligible, even when they're both 10/10

Cubo Mamba 10/10:
ATP: 354
PP: 1030

Aikasoki 10/10:
ATP: 315
PP: 1342

I think I'll stick to the Aikasoki http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

jayster
Mar 26, 2008, 05:23 AM
I have 3 crossbows level 21+ so far: ice, ground, and the ult (zagenga). I plan on getting them all level 21+ sooner or later because the crossbow is a really good weapon. Crossbows are more of a solo weapon, makes avoiding monsters a lot easier, using shotguns make you tank damage. So basically, shotguns = party. Crossbows = solo.

Akaimizu
Mar 26, 2008, 07:26 AM
Crossbows are fairly decent in their levelling speed. They are also quite good weapons to have on you. Also, take note, racial and class choices do affect how much of a difference Shotgun damage does over crossbows. Being a Beast or Cast Fortegunner, sees a greater damage variance, than a human guntecher, for instance. One of the reasons why human and newman GTs may vie for the safer weapon, because the damage difference doesn't justify the means.

Crossbows also proc Status effects like crazy. The SE3 helps in that aspect as well. However, the SE ability doesn't really kick in until 21. Before that, they don't look like they'd proc any better than another weapon. 21+ is the Crossbow's awakening. In groups, they also are pretty effective at disabling quite a few mobs, including the somewhat normally resistant ones.

Shock usually stops all the regular melee guys, and the group is free to pound with impunity. Fortetechers will love you for that.

Ground is sticky. There's a lot of crazy mobs that don't silence, even though they tech you like crazy. Still, for the select mobs that do get stopped with silence, it's great stuff. For those that break the tech rules, then you pretty much want to carry confuse traps. Confuse doesn't last too long, which can make the bullets not seem as cool to use as traps, since you kind of want to get the whole party of them at once. It's still kind of fun to mess with confuse bullets to see. There are times when you can re-proc a confuse SE and things are easier, but don't count on it.

Still, Ground and Shock Crossbow bullets tend to be one of my bigger Group-based weapons, in the game. Mainly because I often take the role of disabling mobs for easy pickins. It works with my motto. "It's not as much about how much you kick butt, but how much you can make your whole party kick butt."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Akaimizu on 2008-03-26 05:35 ]</font>

th0rnz
Mar 26, 2008, 11:02 AM
I love the crossbow, it's my favorite ranged weapon on my fighgunner/GT for sure.

The SE3 is a godsend, especially freeze/shock/infect and the dmg/mobility aspect is also highly respectable.

I use a crossbow paired with saber + rising strike OR single dagger + hikai OR Slicer + Chikki, and either way it's just nasty.

shotsfired
Mar 26, 2008, 06:40 PM
ok, so I wanted to get a Xbow, and I got a couple, but i did'nt want to level another 6+ bullets, so I just got yak zaganga. is that ok?? I already have my shotgun bullets over 15 ( with 2 over 21), do you think the damage with zaganga will do well against all enemies?

Evan-shoots
Mar 26, 2008, 06:45 PM
Crossbows own. Period.
Zaganga 21+ is amazing; worth leveling undoubtedly.
Gotta be my the most effective ranged weapon on my palette

DavidNel
Mar 26, 2008, 06:46 PM
I personally love Xbows. They're fast, strong, and inflict SE a LOT! I use my freeze bullets quite often. The ability to strife is also a blessing. The only downside? Lvls 1-10.... Xbows suck as much as handguns but worse...

chaoskila
Mar 26, 2008, 07:44 PM
aiite plain and simple
If you do not have a bow up and your a gunner as a main
nuff said
[to be honest bows take hella long to lvl up]

GreenArcher
Mar 26, 2008, 08:32 PM
Crossbows do not out damage shotguns :

ljkkjlcm9
Mar 26, 2008, 10:06 PM
On 2008-03-26 16:40, shotsfired wrote:
ok, so I wanted to get a Xbow, and I got a couple, but i did'nt want to level another 6+ bullets, so I just got yak zaganga. is that ok?? I already have my shotgun bullets over 15 ( with 2 over 21), do you think the damage with zaganga will do well against all enemies?

if you're playing a pure gunner class. Shotgun will be better for pure damage, and Xbow for SE/mobility.

THE JACKEL

MrNomad
Mar 26, 2008, 10:34 PM
On 2008-03-26 20:06, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:

if you're playing a pure gunner class. Shotgun will be better for pure damage, and Xbow for SE/mobility.

THE JACKEL

Go Xbow http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

ljkkjlcm9
Mar 26, 2008, 10:41 PM
On 2008-03-26 20:34, MrNomad wrote:

On 2008-03-26 20:06, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:

THE JACKEL

Go Xbow http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I also prefer Xbow, but just saying. Especially if you plan on going Mastergunner, better to focus on shotguns

THE JACKEL

Talise
Mar 26, 2008, 11:26 PM
at melee range, 2 enemies side by side next to you=5 hits on 2 targets=10 hits. Shotgun isn't just a spreadfire weapon, ppl.