PDA

View Full Version : Safe and Secure lol

VioletSkye
Mar 29, 2008, 11:39 AM
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/28/mac-hacked-two-minutes-flat

BTW, I should note that I like Macs, I just found the article interesting.

ABDUR101
Mar 29, 2008, 12:18 PM
I think the one reply sums it up effectively enough:

hardly
using an exploit you already know about to hack a computer hardly justifies the title "hacked in two minutes flat" i'll bet they spent a while longer than that finding the exploit in the first place.

Yeah, if the dood already knew about the hack to begin with, its not a speed record, its not even news. The dood knew ahead of time how to hack this particular method to break through. And I agree, its not even a 'hack' if you know about it ahead of time, its merely an exploit.

Besides, Safari is "meh", I went to Firefox right away on my Mac.

CelestialBlade
Mar 29, 2008, 12:30 PM
People say Macs are secure because so few give enough of a shit to even bother to hack it, and the developers seem to count on that.

VioletSkye
Mar 29, 2008, 12:32 PM
Whether it's "newsworthy" or not is relative to personal opinion. I simply read the article and found it interesting. I have to wonder if it had been the Windows machine that cracked first if people would be making the same comments lol. Even if the exploit was known ahead of time, the point is, it worked on OSX (and worked quickly) and thus the system was breached. That actually makes it worse that it was a known method and is still exploitable http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Basically, it doesn't matter how long it took to find the initial exploit. The clock starts when they say begin at the time of the contest. If you use a new method or an old method, the clock doesn't automatically know to add on previous "exploit searching" time. They say start and when the first machine gets cracked, that's the time they use. It's not like they haven't spent time on Vista either. Honestly, had it been the Vista machine that got cracked first using a known exploit, the argument would probably have never even been brought up. Detractors would just say, "see how insecure Windoze is" LOL.

I don't think it was listed as a speed record was it? I think they were just stating the time it took from the beginning of the contest until the first machine was breached. Again, I'm not bashing Macs. I like Macs quite a bit actually and I like OSX (which I have running on one of my laptops.) But like I said, be realistic, do you honestly think they haven't spent any time previous to the contest trying to break Vista as well. That would be ridiculous to even entertain the notion that Vista had never been poked and prodded by them before that day. The fact is, for that particular day, for that particular contest, OSX was able to be breached the quickest. The fact that they didn't already have an exploit they could use for Vista (like they did for OSX) speaks to the security of the system. No system is free from exploit, nor is any application and this is further evidence of that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2008-03-29 10:55 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Mar 29, 2008, 01:04 PM
Violet...calm down. Was I bitching? Was I ratting on you for being a 'mac hater"? No, I merely pointed out that the article made it sound like someone sat down and found a breach in the mac within two minutes of plinking with it. It seemed like if anything they were bashing on the mac, when the reality is no computer or operating system is entirely un-fuck-able.

And no, I would'nt really care if Vista was hacked..why? Because it already can be, like everything else. I use Windows and OSX, whats the point of being a fanboy either way?

VioletSkye
Mar 29, 2008, 01:14 PM
On 2008-03-29 11:04, ABDUR101 wrote:
Violet...calm down. Was I bitching? Was I ratting on you for being a 'mac hater"? No, I merely pointed out that the article made it sound like someone sat down and found a breach in the mac within two minutes of plinking with it. It seemed like if anything they were bashing on the mac, when the reality is no computer or operating system is entirely un-fuck-able.

And no, I would'nt really care if Vista was hacked..why? Because it already can be, like everything else. I use Windows and OSX, whats the point of being a fanboy either way?

Wha???? I was just making a few points (pretty calmly I thought http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif )

ABDUR101
Mar 29, 2008, 01:22 PM
On 2008-03-29 11:14, VioletSkye wrote:
Wha???? I was just making a few points (pretty calmly I thought http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif )

You posted three paragraphs and you only had two very short replies, you came off like some sort of nerd-rage about it. Unless you were referring to the posts on the article page itself, of which I did'nt bother reading passed the first one(due to the rampant 'lol macs suk' and 'lol windoze' replies that are always present in such articles).

Personally, the article and the hacking doesn't bother me; its all going to a good effort to have the apps patched correctly. But then I'm generally apathetic when it comes to OS's and other computer apps being broke through, its just inevitable so I did'nt see much of an issue going on. Atleast the doods won something for the effort, though rewarding hacking attempts is an interesting idea.

VioletSkye
Mar 29, 2008, 01:37 PM
It's pretty common for me to add additional stuff to my posts (do it all the time http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif) I didn't feel like double-posting so I edited my post. You made the statement that it wasn't a speed record, and I said that I don't think it was meant to be taken as some kind of speed record and that imo, it wasn't the real point of the article. You seemed to have based your entire post on that one poster's quote from the article and I think that maybe the poster of said quote didn't really understand the entire gist of the article. Besides, when was the last time I went off on some type of "nerd-rage" LOL.

Anyway, yeah it does all go to a good cause and companies do those types of contests quite often to help secure their products. Microsoft really got onboard with that idea during the final stages of Vista development and it has made a HUGE difference. But unfortunately there will always be issues to fix. I mean come on, if HAL 9000 isn't even perfect, what hope do any of the future OSes have for perfection http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

For anyone who missed it, I reiterate, I really like Macs and I'm not defending or condemning Vista, Linux, OSX, BSD, Solaris, AmigaOS or any other OS, I "just liked the article" and thought I would share it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2008-03-29 12:11 ]</font>

CelestialBlade
Mar 29, 2008, 03:06 PM
Hackers have infinite free time, therefore *everything* is hackable.

Sharkyland
Mar 29, 2008, 04:57 PM
Murphy's Law states "If it takes a couple of people to build it, it takes just one person to tear it down."

Dunno about the infinite time because there's always updates (even if it's not frequent). Just have to find another way in.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sharkyland on 2008-03-29 14:58 ]</font>

Weeaboolits
Mar 29, 2008, 05:15 PM
The fact that Macs rarely get hacked would work against its security, one would think, as less people trying to exploit holes would equate to less holes exposed, and thus left unfilled. That's just my thoughts.

I don't care though, I just use Windows because it's what I already have, and am used to, also it's compatible with my stuff, so I see no reason I should go through the trouble of doing anything different.

I still don't know the benifits of one over the other, not that I'm familiar with OSX's interface.

Wyndham
Mar 29, 2008, 05:30 PM
On 2008-03-29 10:30, Typheros wrote:
People say Macs are secure because so few give enough of a shit to even bother to hack it, and the developers seem to count on that.

but that doesn't make it any worse.

and I went to Safari immediately too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wyndham on 2008-03-29 15:31 ]</font>