PDA

View Full Version : prankdialer.com

Uncle_bob
Apr 1, 2008, 10:51 PM
http://www.prankdialer.com/

Yea, cute. I don't like being woken up by a phonecall from something this silly. I don't care much for my personal information being distributed without my consent, either.

Anyone think I could take this to court?

ABDUR101
Apr 1, 2008, 11:07 PM
I think you need to find the friend that did it and beat their skull in, you can't sue the site because they did'nt get your number illegally if it was given to them by someone you know.

It's no more harassment than the telemarketers that call here during dinner.

Get better friends, don't hand your number out readily. If you only have it out to close friends, confront them about it or..you know, realise it's April 1st and get over it.

Uncle_bob
Apr 1, 2008, 11:09 PM
My boss, grandparents, and father are the only people that have my number. So...

omegapirate2k
Apr 1, 2008, 11:16 PM
Disclaimers
Über Systems makes no warranties, express or implied, with regard to the Site or the Service, their operation, or your use of the Site or Service, including but not limited to warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. Über Systems makes no warranties as to the availability, up-time, functionality, error-free nature or reliability of the Site or the Service, the Internet, the telephone network through which the Service is utilized, or other technology utilized to present, access or utilize the Site or the Service, nor does it warrant that the Site or Service shall be free of computer viruses or other malicious content. Über Systems reserves the right to modify, suspend or discontinue the offering of the Site and Service at any time for any reason without prior notice. Further, while Über Systems utilizes electronic and physical security to reduce the risk of improper access to or manipulation of data during transmission and storage, it cannot guarantee the security or integrity of the data and shall have no liability for breaches of security or integrity or third-party interception in transit, nor for any damage which may result to your computer or other property by your use of the Site or Service.

IN NO EVENT SHALL ÜBER SYSTEMS BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY DAMAGES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL OR INDIRECT DAMAGES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY LOSS OF DATA, LOSS OF PROFITS OR LOST SAVINGS, ARISING OUT OF THESE TERMS, THE SITE OR THE SERVICE, EVEN IF ÜBER SYSTEMS HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. FURTHER, IN NO EVENT SHALL ÜBER SYSTEMS.S AGGREGATE LIABILITY FOR ANY REASON ARISING OUT OF THESE TERMS, THE SITE OR THE SERVICE FROM ALL CAUSES OF ACTION OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STRICT LIABILITY, BREACH OF WARRANTY, MISREPRESENTATION, OR OTHERWISE, EXCEED THE AMOUNT PAID BY YOU TO ÜBER SYSTEMS HEREUNDER.

Über Systems may provide links to third party Web sites from the Site. Such links are provided for your convenience, and do not necessarily constitute an endorsement by Über Systems of such sites or an affiliation between Über Systems and the owners of such sites, nor shall Über Systems be liable for the contents of such sites. Über Systems will also not be liable for any errors in such links, or for any malfunction of such links.

So, I don't think you'll be able to take them to court http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

ABDUR101
Apr 1, 2008, 11:59 PM
On 2008-04-01 21:09, Uncle_bob wrote:
My boss, grandparents, and father are the only people that have my number. So...

It's April Fools, are you telling me that neither your dad, grandparents or boss have a sense of humor or know how to type your number into a website they may have heard about that calls someone to rick-roll them?

If it happened once, don't worry about it. If it's happening quite often, a week from now; worry about it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2008-04-01 22:00 ]</font>

omegapirate2k
Apr 2, 2008, 12:00 AM
If your boss looks like this:

http://l.yimg.com/img.tv.yahoo.com/tv/us/img/site/75/01/0000007501_20060920143802.jpg

Then you might just have the identity of your prank caller.

Uncle_bob
Apr 2, 2008, 01:04 AM
On 2008-04-01 21:59, ABDUR101 wrote:

It's April Fools, are you telling me that neither your dad, grandparents or boss have a sense of humor or know how to type your number into a website they may have heard about that calls someone to rick-roll them?

If it happened once, don't worry about it. If it's happening quite often, a week from now; worry about it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2008-04-01 22:00 ]</font>

They don't really have a sense of humor unless it's a racist joke of some kind, so no. I don't really feel they're the type to do that.

Also, Omega, would that really apply to me? I wasn't the one using the service, thus I made no agreement to anything at all.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Uncle_bob on 2008-04-01 23:06 ]</font>

Sord
Apr 2, 2008, 03:13 PM
well, they claim not to distribute phone numbers on their homepage, and apparently theres also a link for a no call list. I don't think you could sue the owners of the site. However, if you knew the guy who gave them the number, you might be able to sue him or something. It another one of those issues were the service/product is technically legal, but used for illegal purposes. Still, I don't know if you could even sue that person, I'm not familiar with laws regarding the giving of others phone numbers wthout consent. That sort of thing would also vary from state to state I think.

Randomness
Apr 2, 2008, 03:16 PM
On 2008-04-01 23:04, Uncle_bob wrote:

On 2008-04-01 21:59, ABDUR101 wrote:

They don't really have a sense of humor unless it's a racist joke of some kind, so no. I don't really feel they're the type to do that.

Also, Omega, would that really apply to me? I wasn't the one using the service, thus I made no agreement to anything at all.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Uncle_bob on 2008-04-01 23:06 ]</font>

The person who did it basically agreed that any consquences would get shifted to them, if the parts I skimmed over say what I think they do. (These things all look the same after the second or so)

McLaughlin
Apr 2, 2008, 08:17 PM
On 2008-04-01 21:07, ABDUR101 wrote:
I think you need to find the friend that did it and beat their skull in, you can't sue the site because they did'nt get your number illegally if it was given to them by someone you know.

That's kind of like saying you can't press charges against someone you know if they happen to give your credit card number and PIN to some stranger on the street.

I'm not sure if you can sue (the States' Civil law is a little...different than Canadian Civil law), but if you can't it isn't because someone you know gave out your information. The disclaimer also wouldn't apply to Uncle because he never agreed to its TOS. Someone else did. If anything, it means that if he can sue, they won't be sharing the blame.

ABDUR101
Apr 2, 2008, 09:04 PM
On 2008-04-02 18:17, Obsidian_Knight wrote:
That's kind of like saying you can't press charges against someone you know if they happen to give your credit card number and PIN to some stranger on the street.

No, its not. You can't compare a phone number to your very private credit card number and PIN. Like, why the fuck would you even give your credit card and PIN to a friend? Aswell, someone can't use your phone number like they can your credit card and PIN.

Again, it was a single phone call. Get over it. I had someone calling my cell for a "Sarah ------" and I kept telling the telemarketers they had the wrong number, finally I said look, don't call here again, put me on the "Do Not Call" list or I'll file charges for harassment.

A single phonecall, no biggie. Afew phonecalls, ok, bothersome, but easily fixable. Calls going on for afew months, easily taken care of.

So really, if it was only one call on April Fools...whats the big deal?

McLaughlin
Apr 2, 2008, 10:06 PM
I never said you gave it to a friend. for instance, when my Mom was recovering from her most recent surgery she gave me her credit card and told me her PIN so I could get groceries. It's not inconceivable, and you can get a lot out of a phone number. The information is different, but the concept is the same. Someone gave someone else his information.

I'm not saying he should sue them. That's not even what he asked. He asked if he could take them to court over it (albeit likely sarcastically). Under certain circumstances (maybe he lost sleep over it, and was fired from his job for not paying attention, as an example), he could make a decent case.

Originally, you said he couldn't sue because his information was obtained through an acquaintance of his, thus obtaining it legally. Whether or not the information was given to them by someone he knew is irrelevant in terms of legality. He probably could make a case. Whether or not he'd win is a different question entirely.

Sord
Apr 2, 2008, 10:59 PM
wonder what the chances are of someone just randomly putting in numbers and generating uncles by chance, staggering for sure, but (so long as the person doesn't put in a nonexistant number) it would have to hit someone.

hollowtip
Apr 4, 2008, 04:24 PM
Let's not be over dramatic. Like Abdur said, it was a single phone call, work on being less sensitive.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hollowtip on 2008-04-04 14:25 ]</font>

Uncle_bob
Apr 4, 2008, 07:23 PM
I'm sensitive about being harrassed when I'm trying to sleep on a fucking work day.

I'll whine about it if I want, so kindly get off of my nuts.

TheFonz
Apr 5, 2008, 02:39 AM
I can't help but feel the motive of this thread was to advertise the website. Just a clever story was used to make things a lot more subtle...

hollowtip
Apr 5, 2008, 03:23 AM
On 2008-04-04 17:23, Uncle_bob wrote:
I'm sensitive about being harrassed when I'm trying to sleep on a fucking work day.

I'll whine about it if I want, so kindly get off of my nuts.

I'll say it again:

It was one phone call. Do you really want to be grouped with all the other overly sensitive Americans who feel like every little inconvenience in their life constitutes as a day in court? Get over it. Or go waste tax payers money and fight prankdialer.com, you will be doing our economy a great privilege along with the other drama queens that feel like their first amendment rights have been blatantly violated.

Sarcasm is bliss.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 5, 2008, 07:45 AM
On 2008-04-05 00:39, TheFonz wrote:
I can't help but feel the motive of this thread was to advertise the website. Just a clever story was used to make things a lot more subtle...

Eh?

If the goal was them internet non repeating IP hits, he'd have put it in his sig and posted all over the PSU forums. Secret motive plan non existent, move along - nothing between the lines to see here.

Hollowtip, lets not press the issue being this is the Dead Horse society forum of Rants and there are, have been, and will be pettier rants than this.

Arguable that Bob's cheesecake ruined could be ranted longer/louder than this one or the opposite, as an example with the same OP.

You're not going to change an opinion or personality this quickly through some internet forum posts. Not gonna happen, again don't press the issue and bring up some other tangent about "Drama queen Americans as a whole wasting tax payers money."

Let the man rant, don't go pressing a "Get over it" in an otherwise civil and valid place where such Rants and really almost any Rants are allowed.

This doesn't seem to be doing any good left open, locked up, sorry Bob. Rather than taking it to court, do as above have stated, get that one on a do not call list and or also drum up support to get such a place shut down - as a longer term goal than some lawsuit which a pessimist sees as just another frivolous "American way" one stereotype.