PDA

View Full Version : How to be a good customer.

Uncle_bob
Apr 4, 2008, 01:28 AM
How you probably think a place of business works.

1. There's a sales floor with items on shelves.

2. There's a wormhole in the back of the store that endlessly supplies items to the store. Nothing is ever discontinued or out of stock.

3. Every employee is not busy or pre-occupied with something. Employees are never off the clock. If he or she cannot satisfy your EVERY demand, then that person is a bad employee. You should do your best to get that person fired.

4. Every employee that isn't your race hates you. Especially if they're black.

How a place of business REALLY WORKS

1. There's a sales floor with items on shelves.

2. Contrary to what you actually think, everything you're looking for isn't in the storage area of the store. An employee orders the item that is needed, and a day or more after a truck delivers the needed product to the store.

3. Some employees are actually working. It's a waste of our time to tell you where common products are, especially when you're standing right the fuck next to them.

4. Not every black person is out to get you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Uncle_bob on 2008-04-03 23:28 ]</font>

Nitro Vordex
Apr 4, 2008, 01:53 AM
I wish people actually knew these rules. Imbecilles. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

ljkkjlcm9
Apr 4, 2008, 03:28 AM
well I understand employees are busy...
but the point of the store is to sell the product to the customer. If the customer can't find the product, they can't buy it.

I don't even work in stores and if I see someone having trouble and I think I could help them, I'm more than willing to. I can't tell you how many times I've helped parents pick out a game for one of their kids.

So while 3 is true... the purpose of the business is to sell items to the customer. If someone seriously can't find the item, yeah it is your job to help them, or at least direct them to someone who can.

THE JACKEL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ljkkjlcm9 on 2008-04-04 01:28 ]</font>

thunder-ray
Apr 6, 2008, 06:44 AM
I disagree with both number 4's.

Rayokarna
Apr 6, 2008, 08:24 AM
On 2008-04-06 04:44, thunder-ray wrote:
I disagree with both number 4's.

How?

Leviathan
Apr 6, 2008, 12:22 PM
&This is why I'm applying to Starbucks, so I wouldn't have to meet with these people. (//_-)

Over there I'll probably get the person that bitches at me for putting too much [ingredient] into to their frappuchino with extra [said ingredient.]

Kion
Apr 6, 2008, 01:00 PM
i'm working at starbucks now, there still is some of that. frappachinos and brewed coffee alot fo times will run out and you'll have to make more. in a rush; it gets ugly.

in terms of people asking for customizations; it's really not hard, everything is loaded with sugar and nothing you do has any impact on the taste of the drink. and i am so sick of people ordering no foam lattes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kion on 2008-04-06 11:02 ]</font>

Nitro Vordex
Apr 6, 2008, 01:18 PM
On 2008-04-06 10:22, Leviatha wrote:
&This is why I'm applying to Starbucks, so I wouldn't have to meet with these people. (//_-)

Over there I'll probably get the person that bitches at me for putting too much [ingredient] into to their frappuchino with extra [said ingredient.]

only thing you might get is preps with the high pitched voices and Hollister(lulz) clothing, bitching about said preferences.

Sayara
Apr 6, 2008, 04:08 PM
et al #2.
We have a farm out back to grow you tiptop shaped fruits and vegitables regardless of season!

I notice, regardless of ethnic religious background, people get extremely fussy during their holiday times.

I've seen so many angry christians when we're out of eggs.. and angry jews when we have no unsalted matza <_>;

EDIT- What line of consumer byproducts do you sell Uncle?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sayara on 2008-04-06 14:09 ]</font>

Uncle_bob
Apr 6, 2008, 07:25 PM
I works at a grocery store. I'm not saying which one, lest I cause a massive shit storm.

Eggs piss me off.

Sayara
Apr 6, 2008, 08:10 PM
As long as it isn't Giant/StopnShop www

cel
Apr 7, 2008, 07:25 PM
The problem is that most of these guidelines apply to also being a well behaved person. Many people out there today were never really taught proper manners or have a shred of empathy. My very own generation, people now in their 20's, usually had more parental influence from their television sets than actual parents and role models and their behavior model suffers drastically. You don't believe me? Go to the general section and you can pick them out like sunflowers in a sea of grass.

Another core issue behind this kind of pattern is the absence of a competent education system in the USofA, but even outside this nation people can be excessively rude and not even realize it.

Then again, they could just be having a shit day.

The issue with #4 is far-reaching, far beyond the scope of this thread in terms of being a good customer... indeed, far beyond the stars. Racism really irks me. I mean it's the 21st century FFS. Get to know the race a little bit better before you go and judge something that is different than yours.

Leviathan
Apr 7, 2008, 08:07 PM
On 2008-04-06 11:18, Nitro_Vordex wrote:

On 2008-04-06 10:22, Leviatha wrote:

only thing you might get is preps with the high pitched voices and Hollister(lulz) clothing, bitching about said preferences.

Good point. But that beats working at a clothing store in the mall.

The muffintops, small screaming children are too much to handle.

Not to mention customers who drops food on the floor. (//_-)

Poignantswine
Apr 10, 2008, 10:11 AM
Those were the days.

Customer: "Where's the syrup?"
Me: *Looks up at sign that says "syrup."*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Poignantswine on 2008-04-10 08:12 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Poignantswine on 2008-04-10 08:12 ]</font>

Powder Keg
Apr 10, 2008, 10:51 AM
Sounds exactly like my store. People always ask "when's the next truck arrive?" which isn't so bad, but they think we know when the item they want is going to arrive.

And the thing about race is sadly true in some cases. I had an older person come up to me and ask me a question about something, and after I anwered him he said "good....glad I could come to you for help...I didn't want to ask that guy over there because I didn't want my answer in jive"

Needless to say I didn't speak to him after that point.

Sharkyland
Apr 10, 2008, 06:14 PM
One thing that drives me nuts about going shopping. Why isn't let's say for example one supermarket have the dairy products on the right, and the same brand of supermarket have the dairy products in the left, and in the other, in the middle.

It shouldn't take a genius where to figure out where things are, but sometimes they are hidden in obscure places and when your familiar with your shopping area and then land yourself in somewhere else like another state and you get a little erratic trying to figure out where stuff are. Because things like this shouldn't be a waste of time, but it becomes one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sharkyland on 2008-04-10 16:16 ]</font>

Sol_B4dguy
Apr 14, 2008, 10:59 AM
It's nowhere near as bad as when I point out where a bathroom is when the customer is standing right next to it. Some people.

rogue_robot
Apr 14, 2008, 03:38 PM
Meh, the bathroom example isn't that bad, really (well, in the case of bathrooms, yes, especially being such a large target - and being the distraction in said case - but when it's small items on a shelf, less so; sometimes, a person might just be really hassled and, despite normally being very attentive and observant, may still require a little help finding things while dealing with whatever is distracting their thoughts).

Seority
Apr 15, 2008, 02:33 PM
May I add?

Customers think:
If you pay for something one day and use it/wear it/ whatever, you can get a full refund.
The store is always ripping you off and you can always find cheaper, so it's ok to threaten the store that you wont be a customer anymore because they care so much for you.
It's only stealing if the item is worth more then $20.
You will always be 100% satisfied with the product. If not, it's perfectly fine to complain to the store about it, get a full refund, plus discounts later on.

Real World:
If you take it out of the package, take off the tag, smoke in it, take one bite, whatever, it's officially not our problem anymore, but yours.
Unless you're at Wal-Mart, prices are what they are. An employee can not lower it just for you, no matter what you may say.
If you are a valuable customer, you must understand that the company doesn't really care for you, but your money, but that we still offer what you think is best. If it's not? Oh well, there are many others that you will have to buy from anyway. If you are not a valued customer, shove it. We know you're annoying, and that you don't pay much anyway. We're honestly better without you.
If you didn't want to pay the $5 now, you can pay the $500 later plus community service in court. Up to you.
If you didn't like the Sony product, then complain to Sony about it. Not Target. If you didn't want onions on it, then say it before you order. If you didn't, oh f*cking well. Looks like you have to use up 5 seconds of your precious life to pick them off. Using 5 mins to complain to us, just wastes more of your and our time ya dunce.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Seority on 2008-04-15 12:36 ]</font>

enoch
Apr 25, 2008, 09:24 AM
customers think

1. waiters are always happy all the time and never have bad days

2. waiters are never to busy because they are waiters, what else are they doing in the back of the restauraunt? standing around, thats what

3. if the soda tastes bad its the waiters fault, cause he brought it to me

4.I havent seen my waiter in 2 minutes...he must be dead

THE TRUTH!

1. yes we have horrible days, we are ******* waiters, we have to kis your asses all day
we smile only so we dont kill you

2.we dont just wait on you, we have to help prepare your damn food you ungrateful jerks. the more you bug us, the longer it takes

3. yes its our fault -_- we go to the coke a cola company 300 miles away and contaminate your coke becuase we hate you...jeez are people serious?!

4. NO we have other customers, some more annoying than you, just sit tight for a minute! you arent gunna explode if you dont have your damn texas tea every two seconds. how about this STOP CHUGGING IT DOWN!! YOU MIGHT LOSE SOME WIEGHT!

sad as it is. this is what usually goes through a waiters/waitresses mind when they smile at you http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: enoch on 2008-04-25 07:30 ]</font>

Morganna
Apr 25, 2008, 11:20 AM
Just as it is wrong of the customer to be quick to point fingers at the staff or the store in general, it's wrong to act like any customer who isn't perfectly obliging or quick witted is a bane upon the face of the earth.

BlaizeYES
Apr 25, 2008, 11:59 AM
i remember about 2 years ago, i was at a grocery store, and i was looking for a 6 pack of V8 canned drinks pretty late at night. i walk up to a middle-aged man and tell him, "yea, i've been walking around the store for the past 15-20 minutes, and i cant seem to find V8 at all. you guys have the setup of this store really weird." i went on talking for about 5 minutes, and the guy listened patiently, and nodded his head in agreement with what i was saying about how his store needs to reorganize the shelves and categories and make the aisle contents easier to read before walking down each one. we have a conversation for about 10 minutes on why i drink V8, and how sometimes it's hard to get your daily requirements for vegetables in a day without drinking those drinks. then we started talking about how business dies down at night and how around that time, people are probably restocking shelves and normally other workers are usually trying to hurry up to get out soon after they close. i told him that he was one of the most responsive and helpful workers at the place.

so after all of this, i finally go, "so you wouldnt happen to know where those drinks are, do you?" and then he just smiled and said, "oh, yea... i don't really work here."

it seems i got the vest this charcoal grey vest this man was wearing confused with a vest of a manager, and then i sort of stared at him for a minute, wondering: this guy just acted like he worked here for the past 15 minutes, and even commenting on the business he "works" for, and just listened to me talk about vegetables. when i was leaving, i was laughing to myself, thinking, "either this guy was really lonely, or he just wished he worked at a Publix store." the man didnt work there, and yet he was one of the greatest customer service reps that i've ever come across.