PDA

View Full Version : PC Hardware NEEDS =D

Genoa
Apr 6, 2008, 10:31 PM
I got a new PC not too long ago, and I really wanted to invest in getting a TV tuner for it. I plan on getting a Blu-Ray drive for it as well...
However, my dilemma is deciding which ones would be best for my PC. (windows XP)
If my monitor is something that's vital to which TV tuner I should invest in...
--SCEPTRE X20WG-1080P 20.1-Inch Digital/Analog Widescreen LCD Monitor

As far as the Blu-Ray player, I already have two other drives with DVD R/W and CD-ROM R/W, so those extra features some Blu-Ray player drives have are NOT necessary...

My biggest concern with getting a TV Tuner was it's TV Tuner function being WORTHLESS for over the air broadcasts in Feb. 2009...
I would also like to be able to hook up Console gaming systems like the Wii or what not to it, so a Tuner with that capability would be amazing. HD if possible =D

I tried browsing around on Newegg, but all the different reviews I keep reading keep me wondering if it's the right one or not... so I thought I'd let some smarter, more computer-savy people help me make the decision...

VioletSkye
Apr 7, 2008, 02:33 PM
If you aren't worried about having to burn to blu-ray media then just get one that reads BR media. LG makes a nice one that I personally have installed on a client's machine that is a hybrid player (plays both BR and HDDVD.) LG Blu-ray/HD-DVD reader & DVD writer (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136133) - $185.

Make sure your videocard is HDCP compliant (your monitor is so no worries there.) BTW, the monitor is not actually 1080p (max resolution is 1680x1050) but it won't make much of a difference. The marketing on that monitor is a little shady but it will accept and scale 1080p to fit your res.

As for a TV Tuner, make sure it supports the ATSC standard (to cover the transition to digital in '09) as well as HD. The last one I installed was a ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Combo PCI Express Dual Tuner. It worked great, although you would need a PCI-Express x1 or higher slot for it. There is also a USB external version (which I've never used but read bad things about.) If you don't care about having a dual tuner, the HD 650 PCI works well.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2008-04-07 20:13 ]</font>

Genoa
Apr 7, 2008, 09:55 PM
Yeah my max resolution is 1680x1050 (which is what I have it set to)
I'm pretty sure I'm not worried about having a burner for blu-ray, so a read-only drive is great. Good price too =D

Motherboard: Asus P5KPL-VM Intel G31 Chipset w/6-channels, Gb LAN, S-ATA 3Gb/s, USB 2.0, Single PCI-E MB
Video card: ATI Radeon HD 3450 256MB PCI-Express x16
So I should be alright for the Tuner ;o