PDA

View Full Version : LOL INTERNET

Weeaboolits
Apr 8, 2008, 03:16 PM
I find this attitude rather vexing, people think just because there's no immediate consequence they're no longer expected to be tactful or honest, they can say whatever they want because it's "LOL INTERNET", I find it rather asinine, I don't really view a message board or instant messenger much differently than other communication media like, say, a phone. If you say something to me on AIM I'll treat it the same as if you said it to my face, the internet isn't a magical place that removes all meaning from your words, on the contrary, it sticks it out where the entire world can see it, so you should choose your words more carefully, if anything.

Anonymity brings out the worst in people, it just goes to show what ugly creatures we can be when we think no one's watching.

Anduril
Apr 8, 2008, 03:19 PM
People don't really reailze that even on the internet you aren't anonymous. Saying something on the internet, especially on a forum or message board, is more like yelling it out in the middle of the street, where anyone can hear it. It's the "I"m in my car, so no one can see me poking my nose" syndrome.

Kylie
Apr 8, 2008, 03:21 PM
On 2008-04-08 13:16, Ronin_Cooper wrote:
Anonymity brings out the worst in people, it just goes to show what ugly creatures we can be when we think no one's watching.

Right. I don't think any circumstances really justifies someone disrespecting someone else for little or no reason - online or off. I've always wondered if I'd think differently of someone I can't stand online if I met them in real life (probably so in a lot of cases).

AlexCraig
Apr 8, 2008, 03:23 PM
I hear you, Ronin. I completely agree.

Sekani
Apr 8, 2008, 03:25 PM
The #1 Rule of the Internet.

Unlike most people though, I can be quite an asshole away from the computer as well.

Weeaboolits
Apr 8, 2008, 03:35 PM
On 2008-04-08 13:25, Sekani wrote:
Unlike most people though, I can be quite an asshole away from the computer as well.See, that's fine, I don't care if you're acting the same, it's mainly when people think they can be an asshole BECAUSE they're on the internet, it doesn't make them look cool, rather too insecure and cowardly to where only on the internet can they try and act tough.

AlexCraig
Apr 8, 2008, 03:38 PM
My rule of thumb on the internet is to be who I am. People don't like it? Tough. So far it has done me well.

Anduril
Apr 8, 2008, 03:41 PM
Here in particular I have my typcial "with my family and friends" personality. The occassional wierdness and desire to have decent conversations. Only difference is that I"m a little less of a jackass online since I have some problems with insulting someone I can't see.

Vanzazikon
Apr 8, 2008, 03:41 PM
On 2008-04-08 13:38, AlexCraig wrote:
My rule of thumb on the internet is to be who I am. People don't like it? Tough. So far it has done me well.

Amen to that!

Zorafim
Apr 8, 2008, 03:43 PM
In my case, it's because you're on a first impression basis on a place where people are completely relaxed. Because person A says something without thinking, person B takes offense, and it continues. Of course, there are people who are perpously act as bad as they can to piss people off, or because they can get away with it. I still have no idea why they do this, but apparently they get their lulz from making people angry.

Weeaboolits
Apr 8, 2008, 03:44 PM
The only difference in my behavior online is that I swear more often.

That and emoticons. ;o
On 2008-04-08 13:43, Zorafim wrote:
In my case, it's because you're on a first impression basis on a place where people are completely relaxed. Because person A says something without thinking, person B takes offense, and it continues. Of course, there are people who are perpously act as bad as they can to piss people off, or because they can get away with it. I still have no idea why they do this, but apparently they get their lulz from making people angry.Some people are like this in real life too, my brother is absolutely terrible, oddly he doesn't do this online.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ronin_Cooper on 2008-04-08 13:46 ]</font>

Vanzazikon
Apr 8, 2008, 03:47 PM
Yeah I hate it when people think they are hardcore or can say what they want because they know they are not going to be confronted. Usually replying back encourages them because they know they´ve been heard and it was their purpose to begin with, so the best thing to do is just ignore or leave... At least that´s what I think.

When i´m posting or putting somwthing down, i tend to write some jokes (when i get bored or want some kick), but if i had offended somebody, I want them to tell me that I have offended them and I would apologize because I truly dont try to make any one feel bad, its not my way and it never was.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vanzazikon on 2008-04-08 13:56 ]</font>

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 8, 2008, 06:56 PM

Doesn't that opinion seem to be used or justified by the angry folks as well?

Do what I want, you can't tell me what to do?

AlexCraig
Apr 8, 2008, 07:07 PM
More like "I do what I am".

Sekani
Apr 8, 2008, 07:16 PM
On 2008-04-08 16:56, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:

Doesn't that opinion seem to be used or justified by the angry folks as well?

Do what I want, you can't tell me what to do?

This sounds like a whole different tangent to me.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 8, 2008, 07:33 PM
"I do what I want, if anyone doesn't like it, tough."

As in, that attitude can be used both ways.

omegapirate2k
Apr 8, 2008, 07:48 PM
I act the same on and offline.

Awesome.

Sekani
Apr 8, 2008, 08:25 PM
On 2008-04-08 17:33, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:
"I do what I want, if anyone doesn't like it, tough."

As in, that attitude can be used both ways.

Wasn't disagreeing with you, just saying that I don't think it doesn't really relate to our issues with "myspace gangstas" and the like. Real nice guys, OK. Real dicks, semi-OK. Fake dicks, not OK.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 8, 2008, 09:03 PM
It doesn't?

When someone is using the internet to be malicious they're pretty oblivious of how it affects others, taking the do not care stance/"Tough"/"sucks for you." They may or not be the same in offline everyday life, I acknowledge that and didn't feel I had to re-iterate any of the above on that point.

Not trying to go in circles here, but just explain myself if you feel I wasn't being relevant.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2008-04-08 19:04 ]</font>

enoch
Apr 9, 2008, 02:14 PM
Im a product of this disgrace ima smart ass irl, but here...im more of a smart ass

PhotonDrop
Apr 9, 2008, 03:09 PM
Agree, 100%. I recall this friend I had back in high school. Very quiet, kept to herself unless somebody talked to her first. Though whenever she'd sign on to MSN I'd get this huge "HII~! =^_^=" out of nowhere. It was like her entire personality was inverted.

Though I can't really say I'm annoyed by it, I just find it silly when tough guy/kawaii desu mode is turned on at the touch of a mouse and keyboard. What does get on my nerves, is when people make up these outlandish attributes about themselves and pretend that they really are this super demonic angel cat-girl samurai wizard ...the Hedgehog. I could understand if it was a roleplay game but when someone is roleplaying 24/7 it almost seems sad.

Also lol Ronin, same here. I don't act different, my swear content just rises. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Darkly
Apr 9, 2008, 03:11 PM
well just as a rule of thumb i try to act civil and friendly like myself in life - but i'll turn into johnny asshole if someone starts acting like a prick too.

AlexCraig
Apr 9, 2008, 03:22 PM
AlexCraig = Alex Craig. I see no reason why I should act different on the internet from how I act in real life.

BlaizeYES
Apr 9, 2008, 03:48 PM
lol, well it depends what you're talking about. the kids that just yell obscene things, spam, and purposely try to piss everyone off, they probably dont act that way in person. even people that wait for an argument where they could try to berate someone, they probably dont do that either. and ronin_cooper, i'm pretty sure i may have said something to you in the past and i think maybe you took it the wrong way. me personally, i question alot of things. it doesn't mean i don't believe it, but i'll still question it or call "bullshit"... mostly to understand either the "thing" or the person behind it, and actually discuss it, and it happens frequently both online and offline.

probably the main difference is when you see me type in capslocks, because most of the time i'm just laughing at those points. if i do the "caps locks" in person, i wouldnt start screaming it, but i'd still say it with conviction and act entirely serious, because its FUNNY. and many people i regularly talk to at work, people i hang out with, and even people that i don't typically hang out with, they understand and they act the same way. most interesting(or even deep) conversations you have, its just as great to have fun with it, moreso than just learning something intruging, or even giving you a little insight about things. even if you dont achieve anything from the conversation, you still want to know that it made you laugh, or smile, when you had it. personally, online or offline, i don't really get offended by very much whatsoever. talking in a somewhat blunt or brash way during a little period of time will make both people laugh... if anything, talking online is more entertaining because normally in person when you are having a conversation with someone more sensitive and dont even realize you offended them, they will just start mumbling or just keep agreeing with what you're saying just so they dont feel as if they're getting attacked. the only time i truely "attack" people with firey displays of theories, challenges, and "trashtalking" is during football season, and i love when people join in. its a rush to full support a team and have as many adversaries as possible, and even more fun when you have others on your side... people just love that competition, and it makes it fun, regardless if your team wins or loses.

for instance, when the ravens were beating the patriots up until the final minutes of the game, and bart scott took the yellow flag and threw it into the crowd when the ravens were completely falling apart, i was having so much fun with trash talking and hanging out with friends, i really didn't care if "my team" lost, we still had alot of fun with it.
actually, watch it, its pretty funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7uUjeI1JPY

what i'm trying to get at is that you're taking things much too seriously, online. even offline, it's never good to take every conversation you have as completely SERIOUS... because that way, someone will ALWAYS offend you without even knowing they did. and you really can't forget: people that posted something in "rants" or another topic where they want advice, they are just as vulnerable to this... because they are asking for opinions from other people on the site, and they arent always favorable responses, and then people get angry. that's just how it goes... it may get a little personal, people may take things to heart, and sometimes people will give advice. but chances are, people wont take that advice, but they'll still take what was said to heart, and then they'll feel malice towards you. theres nothing wrong with a discussion. but if you see things as arguments, you're going to keep getting emotional over it. if everyone always agreed, then there would be nothing to talk about

SStrikerR
Apr 9, 2008, 04:52 PM
On 2008-04-09 13:22, AlexCraig wrote:
AlexCraig = Alex Craig. I see no reason why I should act different on the internet from how I act in real life.

How did I know that was your name? I'm good. XD

I'm more or less the same a photon drop, i'm mostly the same, but I curse more.

AlexCraig
Apr 9, 2008, 11:51 PM
On 2008-04-09 14:52, Ryan113 wrote:
How did I know that was your name? I'm good. XD

Just lucky, I guess http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

VanHalen
Apr 10, 2008, 12:30 AM
On 2008-04-08 17:48, omegapirate2k wrote:
I act the same on and offline.

Awesome.

Same for me too. I kind of treat message boards as if I'm talking or listening in a room with people. Though I'm not going to go and turn all apeshit on someone because they can't hit me through the monitor. I mean I was raised better than that http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif.

On 2008-04-09 13:09, PhotonDrop wrote:
Agree, 100%. I recall this friend I had back in high school. Very quiet, kept to herself unless somebody talked to her first. Though whenever she'd sign on to MSN I'd get this huge "HII~! =^_^=" out of nowhere. It was like her entire personality was inverted.

Though I can't really say I'm annoyed by it, I just find it silly when tough guy/kawaii desu mode is turned on at the touch of a mouse and keyboard. What does get on my nerves, is when people make up these outlandish attributes about themselves and pretend that they really are this super demonic angel cat-girl samurai wizard ...the Hedgehog. I could understand if it was a roleplay game but when someone is roleplaying 24/7 it almost seems sad.

Also lol Ronin, same here. I don't act different, my swear content just rises. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

The bolded part made my night.

Mewnie
Apr 11, 2008, 12:26 AM
On the flipside, there are those people that want everyone to get along on the 'tubes. And they get oh so upset when, OH MY GOD, SOMEONE
DOESN'T CONFORM WITH THEIR VISION! They then moan, wring their hands and bleed their vaginas all over, pulling in and magnifying drama just with their presence.

Yeah, I'm pretty plain spoken. I worked in a warehouse, and I was mild in comparison to some of those folks.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 11, 2008, 01:37 AM
I actually swear less online. =/

When I'm offline, I don't take any BS. I don't mean in the tough guy way or anything. If someone annoys me, I'll tell them so. I'm a very blunt person, no point in sugarcoating it. I don't get offended very easily, it takes alot to piss me off. I'm overall very controlled. Although, I still talk and have fun. When I'm not around anyone, I usually give a vibe that says go away, I don't know you, and I don't want to. People approach me, I'm still defensive, but not on the outside. I try to be cool with everyone I meet. If they don't like me, oh well. Their loss.

On 2008-04-10 22:26, Mewnie wrote:
Yeah, I'm pretty plain spoken. I worked in a warehouse, and I was mild in comparison to some of those folks.

I see you're not afraid to say something to someone.

Awesome.

Zarode
Apr 11, 2008, 07:50 AM
Would you believe me if I said I act basically the same online as I do offline? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I have an extreme dry sense of humor, not very talkitive (don't post a lot, in online terms), and I'm generally an asshole to people for the "lulz." http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

But it does annoy me to see someone I know change their personality online from their offline self. Almost like talking to a completely different person.

Plus e-thugs. They suck. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif Because you know they don't act like that in real life.

Para
Apr 11, 2008, 08:07 AM
As internet goes, you will always have your own share of assholes.

Out_Kast
Apr 11, 2008, 04:35 PM
Some people can express themselves better over the internet when there's nothing they can do to visably embarass themselves.

DreXxiN
Apr 14, 2008, 04:30 PM
I'm actually more hyper offline than I am online, lol. I'm still basically the same though xD

ThaiSoup
Apr 20, 2008, 09:51 PM
I'm actually less of a smart-ass on the internet unless provoked, then well its happy fun time.

Syl
Apr 21, 2008, 06:05 AM
I'm pretty quiet offline, and I tend to be way less verbal. Of course my humor and personality and etc. are pretty much the same in both http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

CelestialBlade
Apr 21, 2008, 06:44 AM
The funny thing is, 99% of people who try to be PUNK and THUG online are probably a bunch of pussies offline. To them the intartubes are this giant shield from which they can fling all the retarded insults they like. It really is a big example of how weak and impersonal we've become, to have to hide behind a barrier of text and graphics for the sole purpose of being an asshole without consequence.

What I like is how it's much easier to ignore assholes online than it is offline, so....

ThaiSoup
Apr 21, 2008, 01:26 PM
Haha, Typheros, its so true.