PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling classes and other stupid things my school does

Ketchup345
Apr 8, 2008, 11:29 PM
Wow, I can't believe it.

We have an online registration system for classes and a limited number of seats per class (most classes are ~20-30 people max). My school has a habit of not providing enough sections of the class for everyone who need it.
I am wait listed for a class I need for my Major along with at least 11 other people (this specific class is designed for up to 22). Hopefully they will open up another section (and in a good time slot).
I tried to sign up for another class, a math course. It is telling me I have not completed a prerequisite class when my Academic Worksheet has the "prerequisite" nowhere on it.

I really wish my school would move classes back to a "normal" time system. Freshman and Sophomore year the times classes started at were almost always either on the hour or half hour (a few math courses were an exception). Now we have classes starting at weird times (10:50, 1:40, etc). Why did they have to make this change?

Also they need to quit using commuter spaces for anything but commuter student (and faculty) parking. We have a horrible parking situation as it is, everyday it seems they find a way to make it worse. Can't the spectators for the high school across the street find some other parking spots?

Anduril
Apr 9, 2008, 12:43 AM
I know where you are coming from with the lack of sections. I had to half fill my schedule with lower division classes to meet the 12 unit minimum for Full time students because all of the sections (2 sections with about 20 seats each for Shakespeare) for classes I needed filled up within a minute of the system allowing registration (I never wait list because frankly it is a waste since they allow you to register for the class if you show up the first week and someone drops). And on top of that a week later the entire section of one of my classes was dropped so I had to scramble for another class the day before classes started.

Jehosaphaty
Apr 9, 2008, 02:15 AM
Online registration is generally a pain in the butt. The system won't let you into a block of class if you don't have the proper prerequisites, which is a disaster when you need to get in a class for you major and you've taken something else that flies but the system won't recognize what you're trying to do. Also, if you have any type of outstanding bills (mostly parking tickets) you're account will have holds put on it so you can't register. Nothing is more annoying than not being able to register because you didn't realize you had a bogus outstanding ticket.

When it works it's quick and easy. I have yet to experience the quick or easy part.

astuarlen
Apr 9, 2008, 08:22 AM
I hear you on the ridiculousness of these things. At my university we just switched to a new system for registration, student records, etc. The whole thing is a mess, and the university has not done a very good job of informing students (or faculty) about the changes at all (one mention buried in one e-mail, sent only to student accounts, which most people don't even check because the webmail setup is nasty and inconvenient!) Since I am an advisor, I'm one of the few who've been able to help others, including faculty, but even we had to figure things out without any instruction. Ugh, well, I could go on, but I will not.
Happy faces guys!

AlexCraig
Apr 9, 2008, 12:17 PM
If I can get Toaster_Boy on, he can explain in better detail what has happened to his school. When I used to go there, it was:
Block 1
Block 2
Flex Block (lunch/study hall)
Block 3
Block 4

Now they have FUBARed it to some wierd thing
Block 1
Block 2
Block 3A (Class for some, lunch for some, study time for some)
Block 3B " " "
Block 3C " " "
Block 4

It worked smoothly before. Now it is confusing and tiresome on an Super Honor Roll studant like TB. To make matters worse, the entire school seems under martial law. The studants are restricted to the enth degree (like I said earlier, my brother could explain better). I tried to pop by the school a few weeks ago to pick up my transcript (and to say "hey" to a bunch of former teachers), and all the doors were locked. Even the one where guests are supposed to come in. Huge waste of my time (considering I had to walk to get there). I heard that some studants even began to rebel and riot.

Idaknow. I am just glad I don't go there anymore.

enoch
Apr 9, 2008, 02:12 PM
yea, ny school makes me cut my hair.......they triewd to send me to juvi last time for not cutting it u.u life sux

Randomness
Apr 9, 2008, 03:14 PM
On 2008-04-09 10:17, AlexCraig wrote:
If I can get Toaster_Boy on, he can explain in better detail what has happened to his school. When I used to go there, it was:
Block 1
Block 2
Flex Block (lunch/study hall)
Block 3
Block 4

Now they have FUBARed it to some wierd thing
Block 1
Block 2
Block 3A (Class for some, lunch for some, study time for some)
Block 3B " " "
Block 3C " " "
Block 4

It worked smoothly before. Now it is confusing and tiresome on an Super Honor Roll studant like TB. To make matters worse, the entire school seems under martial law. The studants are restricted to the enth degree (like I said earlier, my brother could explain better). I tried to pop by the school a few weeks ago to pick up my transcript (and to say "hey" to a bunch of former teachers), and all the doors were locked. Even the one where guests are supposed to come in. Huge waste of my time (considering I had to walk to get there). I heard that some studants even began to rebel and riot.

Idaknow. I am just glad I don't go there anymore.

First, my mandatory nitpicking. Its nth or Nth degree, n is common as a variable name for integers, powers, etc.

As for that schedule, my school has it even worse. First three and last two periods are normals. The middle two, however... There are five lunches, and so everyone has one of those, and class for the other four lunches, so you get all kinds of craziness in schedules. Then seniors spend half the day at a seperate campus. I can't say the regimentation is that bad though...

Ketchup345
Apr 9, 2008, 03:51 PM
Ok, update: I went to the registrar's office and they added me to the math course with no problem. I will check the section of the class that I am wait listed for on the first day of school, unless they add another appropriate section or I decide to take it in the summer and find some other course for the fall.

Funny: My bio lab partner was able to register for the math class I had prerequisite problems with, but got a prerequisite error for a class I'm pretty sure doesn't even have a prerequisite (and that I got into without a problem).

Looking at my school worksheet, I need to take Physics 104 (Gen physics 2), but I have already passed Physics 150 and 205. Hopefully this was just a mistake on my (temporary) advisor's part. I'll have to look into that on Monday.

Luckily in college I don't have to worry about lunch messing with class/lunch time conflicts. I have gotten used to being able to go until 11PM without food on some days anyway.

SStrikerR
Apr 9, 2008, 04:57 PM
^ geez man at least carry some ketchup in your pockets if you dont eat till 11!
jk. But man, doesn't the educational system always find a way to make everything worse?
(and then they complain that it's bad and the students need to work harder to make it better. >_>)

Ketchup345
Apr 10, 2008, 08:32 AM
Lovely. Just read an email about new residence halls they plan to put in. No big deal as long as they make the classes for them, right? Wrong. They're going to take out the biggest commuter parking lot. I have heard they plan to make a bigger parking lot and/or garage, but I haven't heard much of anything about it, especially near the level of what I heard about the residence hall.

Yesterday I also heard they were adding one person to each room in the current residence halls. So rooms for 2 would now have 3 people.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ketchup345 on 2008-04-10 07:47 ]</font>

enoch
Apr 10, 2008, 09:24 AM
beat this lol. my old school imlemented one way hallways. you werent aloud to walk the other direction!!! so if you missed a class, then you would have to walk ALL the way around the school again

Anduril
Apr 10, 2008, 02:11 PM
Oh, that's why I'm thankful I live off campus. I could never imagine living with people that aren't family or close friends.
And on the topic of the HS schedule, during my Freshman and Sophomore year we had a fairly standard 6 period day:
1st
2nd
10 minute break
3rd
4th
lunch
5th
6th.

But then there was an outbreak of fighting so they decided to break up the schedule in an attempt to separate the "trouble makers" So my Junior and Senior years ended up:
1st
2nd
snack
3rd
4thA/LunchB
4thB/LunchA
5th
6th

Ultimately it just caused more problems, but off school grounds so the administration didn't have to deal with it.

And right now I'm in a kinda limbo with registration since I have 3 units from High School that keep getting reassigned as either 3 seperate units or just extra unusable units, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to take the class that I need to officially enter the Single Subject Credential program...

Para
Apr 10, 2008, 02:49 PM
On 2008-04-08 21:29, Ketchup345 wrote:
Wow, I can't believe it.

We have an online registration system for classes and a limited number of seats per class (most classes are ~20-30 people max). My school has a habit of not providing enough sections of the class for everyone who need it.
I am wait listed for a class I need for my Major along with at least 11 other people (this specific class is designed for up to 22). Hopefully they will open up another section (and in a good time slot).
I tried to sign up for another class, a math course. It is telling me I have not completed a prerequisite class when my Academic Worksheet has the "prerequisite" nowhere on it.

I really wish my school would move classes back to a "normal" time system. Freshman and Sophomore year the times classes started at were almost always either on the hour or half hour (a few math courses were an exception). Now we have classes starting at weird times (10:50, 1:40, etc). Why did they have to make this change?

Also they need to quit using commuter spaces for anything but commuter student (and faculty) parking. We have a horrible parking situation as it is, everyday it seems they find a way to make it worse. Can't the spectators for the high school across the street find some other parking spots?

I dont know about your timing but same as my schedule so meh.

Ketchup345
Apr 28, 2008, 11:18 PM
More stuff wrong with my school:
They can't even get housing for all current students. 5th year students, commuters who want to be residents, and anyone who turned in forms even a little late may be screwed out of a room, and definitely will not get the room of their choice.

I'm trying to get some internship paperwork done and the adviser for that only has 2 days with office hours.

What the hell are may lab fees paying for? We have one working graduated pipette bulb, when we should have probably 10+ (I know this because we have a small pile of useless ones out on the counter).
Can we get some electrophoresis equipment for immuno lab that actually works properly? Every time we did a lab, it was interesting to see what went wrong with the equipment.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 28, 2008, 11:28 PM
On 2008-04-10 12:11, Anduril wrote:

1st
2nd
snack
3rd
4thA/LunchB
4thB/LunchA
5th
6th

I have that at my school. The snack is ten minutes long.

On Wednsdays, we can go in at 9:30 instead of our usual 7:45. So awesome for sleep. ~_~