PDA

View Full Version : AotI-XBox 360: So someone sell me a Hunter.

Nai_Calus
Apr 9, 2008, 09:02 AM
So I've got a FOmar, a RAcast and a RAmarl, and will eventually be wanting a fourth character. And, well, hey, gotta do something with all these HU weapons RA/FO can't use. (OK, so a Red Partisan and a Meteor Cudgel barely qualify as 'all these', but you know what I mean.

However... Well, *which* Hunter, I dunno. HUmar's the only one I've got real experience with, but I'm not so hot on their looks and they can be rather dull. I've tried to get into HUnewearl, but I always end up deleting them by the time they get in the mid-40s. Again, not so keen on their looks(All but like two of the outfit variants are too slutty/impractical for my tastes, and the colours of neither appeal to me). Stats don't appeal much either, and I'm not that fond of most stock female animations. HUcast... Eh, looks do nothing, and neither do the stats. Great, massive ATP. And... That's about it. If I were a power whore I wouldn't think melee FOmars were great fun. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif HUcaseal I love in c-mode, especially her dagger animation, and her other uniques are kind of fun, DS is nice, but with less ATP, HP, ATA, etc than a RAcast and no access to RA hax0rpwn, it seems kind of an odd choice.

So with my misgivings on all four HUs, sell me on one of them. Or sell me on another RA or FO, though neither is likely, but tell me why I absolutely must have a RAcaseal or put up with FOmarl's animations over any HU if you want.

MUDGRIP
Apr 9, 2008, 11:22 AM
GO MELEE RACAST FTW! charge gungir is all ya need. If your going to go hunter then do humar because humar pride is the way.

cashizslick
Apr 9, 2008, 11:47 AM
Humar is fun to use, but he is greatly lacking in every version of PSO created after PSODreamcast.

He cant use S/D, his J/Z suck, and he does not have traps.

Basically,
Hucast is better because he is stronger, has more def, and has traps.
Hunewerl is better because she can become stronger and take less damage lvl 20 sd/jz.
Hucaseal is better because she has traps, higher evp, much higher ata, and only 96 less atp at maximum.

enoch
Apr 9, 2008, 12:54 PM
I think you should try putting a story on your character. get more attached, you might like him/her more

AlexCraig
Apr 9, 2008, 12:57 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif Nice tag, Ian! Almost had me fooled!

Nai_Calus
Apr 9, 2008, 05:46 PM
Alex: Wut? Oh right, I forgot this wasn't FKL and picked a random nonsensical tag. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

MUDGRIP: Already have a RAcast. >.> Will more than likely melee with both him and my RAmarl when the mood strikes.

cashizslick: HUmar is kind of lackluster in some ways, but I've never agreed that HUnl was better in any way, due to her terrible stat growth and even worse 'jack of all trades'ness. She's the other side of FOmar, but without the FOmar's FO-ness. HUnl is completely overshadowed by anyone else in a party even if she's the one doing the S/D/J/Z anyway, and I don't like to solo much, so... Not really any appeal there. Eh, like I said, I've killed a few of them.

Heh, I've been known to extoll the values of HUmar J/Z in the past. It may not *seem* like much, but it makes a massive difference, especially with shit like Delbiters or Sinow Zoas. (Yeah, as bored as I am with HUmar, I still have my old hatred of HUnl, rofl)

enoch: Most of my characters have stories. Including my HUmar, but... Eh, basically he was only a HUmar for a couple of years as a disguise to get away from his normal life, he's really a FOmar and the whole HUmar thing rings false for him now.

Magus_84
Apr 9, 2008, 07:03 PM
On 2008-04-09 15:46, Ian-KunX wrote:

cashizslick: HUmar is kind of lackluster in some ways, but I've never agreed that HUnl was better in any way, due to her terrible stat growth and even worse 'jack of all trades'ness. She's the other side of FOmar, but without the FOmar's FO-ness. HUnl is completely overshadowed by anyone else in a party even if she's the one doing the S/D/J/Z anyway, and I don't like to solo much, so... Not really any appeal there. Eh, like I said, I've killed a few of them.

Heh, I've been known to extoll the values of HUmar J/Z in the past. It may not *seem* like much, but it makes a massive difference, especially with shit like Delbiters or Sinow Zoas. (Yeah, as bored as I am with HUmar, I still have my old hatred of HUnl, rofl)

Huney's a slow growth character, like the other Newmen. At higher levels, she'll outdamage Humar after using her supports. Or she can ghetto FO much better than him. If for some reason you're a major fan of spirit, she probably has the easier time between the two Fleshie HUs of using it, due to Newman TP regen. But the growth is glacially slow, especially if you're offline. You won't really get the full benefit of her well-roundedness til you're well past 100. All in all, the difference between her and Humar in performance isn't nearly as big as the difference between, say, Hucast and Fonewearl.

Humar's main advantage is the speed in which he can take advantage of his stat potential, due to his human mat limit. But after the point in the game where pure stats don't matter as much as what you can do in terms of battlefield control (traps, immobilizing specials) or damage amplification (Sacrificials, RAWR HUCAST SMASH), his all-round mediocrity starts to catch up to him.

With that said, and from the things you mention in your post, I'd suggest either Hucaseal or melee Racast.

Hucast is probably the most overpowered character in the game once you have the ludicrously strong weaponry that became the PSO online standard towards the end of its lifespan. If you're not at that obscene level of power, he might not be as boring. But he still has the massive ATP and the best trap growth. He's HU'ing on easymode, if you know what you're doing.

This leaves Hucaseal. Less HP is, after a point, a good thing. She'll have more than enough to survive the strongest HP-damage single attack in the game (1400, from a fully charged online Bringer's shot). Yet she has little enough that she can avoid being hit-chained to death by stuff like Morfos lasers.

ATP is a bit of an issue, as she'll generally be the weakest damage-wise of the Hunters when soloing. You can spam Sacrificials with her easily, but that doesn't seem like something you'd want to be doing. You mentioned "not a power whore" and all.

So, then. What does she bring? Variety. Her ATA lets you make use of pretty much any droid-available special. She also gets the standard droid boost to Paralysis, Blizzard, King's and Confuse-series specials, making them a bit closer to a viable option. Or on BB, a great option when coupled with V501/2.

Her ATA also gives you a head start on using the more rare stuff that typically needs hit% on other characters to do well. She'd still do best with hit% stuff, but it's not as crucial to her as it is to say, Hucast. Combine this with her unique animations, and you have a character with 1,001 ways to do less damage than Vulcans. Or to look cool with various pointy objects, depending on your point of view.

She's not as grotesquely overpowered as Hucast, but she still gets the "I Win" button (Freeze Traps) and the "Everyone Else Loses" button (Confuse Traps). Her growth in them isn't as good, but it's light years ahead of Huney/Humar's nonexistent growth.

Other than that, you could try making a melee Racast. But Hucaseal would at least let you use those Hunter-exclusives you mentioned.

TsukasaDCX
Apr 9, 2008, 07:06 PM
4 dollars?

Weeaboolits
Apr 10, 2008, 12:51 AM
HUcaseal has unique attack animations, so use that.

I tried using one, but I just couldn't get an aesthetic I wanted. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif